BPAS PODCAST: 10th Apr '23, S3E33: To Be Entitled Or Not To Be

Recorded in between the Easter fixtures, we reflect on the 2-2 draw against Altrincham & discuss and debate expectations and whether they are entitled or otherwise.

Find all our links ⁠⁠here⁠⁠!

You can support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 via this link ⁠⁠https://anchor.fm/oafcpodcast/subscribe⁠⁠. All the regular episodes will remain free to everyone but only subscribers can access an audio only version of the Latics Football Phone In as a podcast from Friday morning at 6am.

If you'd like to make a one off donation, you can now also Buy Us A Coffee by clicking ⁠⁠here

⁠⁠

You can also support us by visiting ⁠⁠https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk⁠⁠, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop.

Please subscribe to our ⁠⁠YouTube channel⁠⁠ to watch the Latics Football Phone In live every Wednesday from 8.30pm.

Download and listen to the podcast via the FanHub app, where content creators and fans alike are rewarded for getting involved #ctg.

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at ⁠⁠www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

Good listen and good to hear well articulated differing opinions. An interesting point from the fan guest with regards to the atmosphere inside BP on Friday. It was noticeably quiet for most of the first half even when we went ahead and felt like people just wanted half time to come.

I’ve felt quite apathetic towards football even while at the games for much of this season and am certainly looking forward to a break in the football. I’m really, really hoping next season is better and the football is more engaging because it feels like, as a club, we had essentially given up on this season a long time ago which I think has transmitted to the crowd. 

Good listen.  Gaz was spot on.  The "atmosphere like a six year olds party" line is exactly right as is questioning what anyone's seen in Unsworth to suggest he's going to come good.

You can question the Royles' decision about appointing him/sticking with him without questioning their motives.  I don't think anyone questions whether the decisions are being made in good faith.

39 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Good listen.  Gaz was spot on.  The "atmosphere like a six year olds party" line is exactly right as is questioning what anyone's seen in Unsworth to suggest he's going to come good.

You can question the Royles' decision about appointing him/sticking with him without questioning their motives.  I don't think anyone questions whether the decisions are being made in good faith.

Spot on Joe. 

A good listen, as it invariably is.

As someone who views you from a distance, you seem to me to have taken some significant steps forward in the last six months. At the beginning of the season I said I thought you would finish around 15-17th ; I thought you were fragile and would find the Division a culture shock. But the way you started looked a lot like Southend did twelve months earlier. Now though, you are picking up points on a far more regular basis and look like a mid-table outfit. Baby steps, and all that.

I pay a lot of attention to Southend as well as yourselves, and while there have been some striking similarities between you over the last 3/4 years I feel that you are in different places now. They have a decent looking manager who is hamstrung by a dismal owner ; you have a manager who is still finding his feet working for a new management regime that has made a very good start. Southend have a better team than you do (for the moment), but I would much rather be in your position than theirs.

I have no idea whether Unsworth is the long term answer or not, but as fans I do think you have to be careful what you wish for. I'd argue that some of our fans are instrumental in hounding Appleton out of Blackpool this year, and now we are going to pay a heavy price for it. The grass isn't always greener, and success doesn't always come via a linear route.

2 hours ago, basilrobbie said:

A good listen, as it invariably is.

As someone who views you from a distance, you seem to me to have taken some significant steps forward in the last six months. At the beginning of the season I said I thought you would finish around 15-17th ; I thought you were fragile and would find the Division a culture shock. But the way you started looked a lot like Southend did twelve months earlier. Now though, you are picking up points on a far more regular basis and look like a mid-table outfit. Baby steps, and all that.

I pay a lot of attention to Southend as well as yourselves, and while there have been some striking similarities between you over the last 3/4 years I feel that you are in different places now. They have a decent looking manager who is hamstrung by a dismal owner ; you have a manager who is still finding his feet working for a new management regime that has made a very good start. Southend have a better team than you do (for the moment), but I would much rather be in your position than theirs.

I have no idea whether Unsworth is the long term answer or not, but as fans I do think you have to be careful what you wish for. I'd argue that some of our fans are instrumental in hounding Appleton out of Blackpool this year, and now we are going to pay a heavy price for it. The grass isn't always greener, and success doesn't always come via a linear route.

I'm certainly not judging either way, but it absolutely blows my mind that you listen to these every week...

• Matt featured this topic
6 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I'm certainly not judging either way, but it absolutely blows my mind that you listen to these every week...

We’re not an award winning podcast for no reason! :D

It was a fair challenge from Gaz as to whether there is a basis to believe things will be better next season under Unsworth.

There have undoubtedly been disappointments but I still see cautious grounds for optimism: the upturn in results since 1 January, general quality of signings, the prospect of more quality coming in over the summer, a stanle close season and a weaker division in 23/24.

If we start poorly next season the knives will be (further) out. 

I'm both fascinated and excited to see what the summer and next season bring.

I don’t think it will take huge changes for us to become a team pushing for a 7th place finish next season. We got 1 point from 18 in Oct / Nov before we became the settled side we watch now. And we stupidly dropped 6 points from very winnable positions against Gateshead, Solihull & Alty. As bad as this season has been, we could be easily nearer to 7th and on 60+ points. I reckon if we played the full season again with this current squad then we’d be challenging top half - 7th.

What will be harder to achieve is a serious promotion challenge, not just a team capable of making the playoffs. That will take a number of better players, that can gel quickly. To do it in a style that is easy on the eye is the hardest part of the equation. But I’d take winning football, togetherness and a shithouse mentality every week if it got us back in the EFL.

• Matt unfeatured this topic
  • Bender featured this topic
  • Matt unfeatured this topic

Archived