Raglan???

Anyone any idea why he is not getting any game time? He's not even in the 16 some weeks.

Surely with Hogan suspended he was worth giving a couple of games if fit, but Mellon chose Big Mac.

We've conceded 9 in our last 3 so surely he gets a start at Newport??

Just seems like we are not utilising and giving what is clearly a great player at this level a fair chance to show what he can do....

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Could it be that he just isn't very good?

Judging by the reaction at the time of his signing from within the club I shouldn’t think so…..

He played the first few games and hasn’t featured since, it seems strange to say the least. Perhaps they signed him on reputation because I can’t imagine they’d seen him play….I can’t remember much about how he played tbh….

From OT…..

David Unsworth believes the signing of Charlie Raglan is a clear indication of Oldham Athletic's ambition.

The defender turned down the offer of a new contract with League One Cheltenham in favour of returning to his native north west for family reasons, and this week put pen to paper on a two-year deal at Boundary Park.

Latics boss Unsworth explained the deal came about unexpectedly, but was delighted with the club's reaction to it and ability to keep it under the radar amid the threat of competition for the 30-year-old's signature.

"Charlie is an unbelievable signing," said Unsworth.

"He gives us quality first and foremost. He can play either side, he's a leader, he's tough, he's a fighter, he's a battler. He can play in a three, which we might do at some point.

"He's a proper centre back, and he can pass the ball as well. We're getting a League One player basically. And he was desperate to come.

It's all about timing and Charlie and his partner have just had twins and were looking to get back to the north west.

"His agent phoned me and asked what our thoughts were, and as soon as we knew he was available we wanted to get it done, and get it done quickly.

"He's a proven League One player, he'd turned down a two-year deal at Cheltenham."

Unsworth added: "It's an unbelievable signing, great timing, and the fact that we were able to do it quickly is great.

"Even at our level deals don't happen overnight, they take a bit of time, and somehow we managed to keep it quiet, which is difficult in this day and age. There's always a lot of speculation. At every club I've been at word has always got out about who you might be chasing or after.

"There are also a lot of red herrings as well.

"But we managed to keep this one quiet.

"Darren and I wanted to get it done as quickly as possible and it was brilliant that we could.

"Within three or four days we'd agreed and Charlie was in for his medical and before anyone knew it Alan (Jones, media officer) was doing one of his productions."

2 hours ago, Londonboy said:

Anyone any idea why he is not getting any game time? He's not even in the 16 some weeks.

Surely with Hogan suspended he was worth giving a couple of games if fit, but Mellon chose Big Mac.

We've conceded 9 in our last 3 so surely he gets a start at Newport??

Just seems like we are not utilising and giving what is clearly a great player at this level a fair chance to show what he can do....

It's only eight actually, Norman and Raglan should have started on Saturday but Raglan just isn't comfortable on the left side of the two centrehalfs, he may get his chance if we go with a three at some stage in the centre or right of a three.

On Saturday McGahey was the best available to step in - in Hogans absence whether we think he's good enough is debatable.

I keep seeing everyone blowing bubbles out of McGahey arse and I just dont understand the love in, granted he came in at Alty and did a job but since then we've let 2.6 goals a game in and the defence has seemingly gone to pot, I'm not necessarily blaming him but it would suggest to me we probably just need some better players.

15 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

It's only eight actually, Norman and Raglan should have started on Saturday but Raglan just isn't comfortable on the left side of the two centrehalfs, he may get his chance if we go with a three at some stage in the centre or right of a three.

On Saturday McGahey was the best available to step in - in Hogans absence whether we think he's good enough is debatable.

I keep seeing everyone blowing bubbles out of McGahey arse and I just dont understand the love in, granted he came in at Alty and did a job but since then we've let 2.6 goals a game in and the defence has seemingly gone to pot, I'm not necessarily blaming him but it would suggest to me we probably just need some better players.

Bit harsh including him in the blame for the first two at Fylde when he was sat on the bench 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

McGahey looking after the ball & playing out from the back a bit more than the more agricultural Hogan contributed to us looking a far better footballing side on Saturday....  

• Like 4