11 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

About halfway through the 1989-90 season, visiting fans with lower numbers were put in the Lookers stand paddock, which was divided in two at the halfway line. So they got the Rochdale Road end side of that paddock. It was always empty anyway so disturbed no-one and allowed us to use the RRE terrace for the newly-formed Bovis brigade glory hunters. This continued into 1990-91 except for Newcastle, Sheffield Wednesday and West Ham which were given the large section of the RRE terrace. When we were promoted, away fans switched between the large or small section of the RRE depending on their numbers. Some like Citeh, United and Liverpool were given the entire RRE if memory serves.

If some thought Oxford City's 20-odd following was low. I'm sure Plymouth brought a similar amount for a Friday night match in driving sleet in December 1990. You could count them silhouetted against the whitewashed wall of the paddock.

Plymouth to Oldham and back on a freezing Friday night in December, that is some hard yakka. They should run a "Where are they now?" piece on those legends the next time we play each other.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hemel latic said:

Plymouth to Oldham and back on a freezing Friday night in December, that is some hard yakka. They should run a "Where are they now?" piece on those legends the next time we play each other.

It was "Mad Friday" too, so even harder yakka. Was my first night game.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

I'm perennially puzzled about why such expeditions deserve praise.  It's just a personal decision.  I got up at 5am and got home at 2am between Christmas and New Year to go to a race meeting in Dublin but I don't want a badge.

9 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I'm perennially puzzled about why such expeditions deserve praise.  It's just a personal decision.  I got up at 5am and got home at 2am between Christmas and New Year to go to a race meeting in Dublin but I don't want a badge.

OK, it's not rowing the Atlantic. But given most of us on here are obsessed to a greater or lesser extent with a particular football team I have no issue exclaiming admiration/disbelief when fans complete a particularly arduous away day.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

"What do they want? A chufty badge?"

• Like 1

We should only allow fit  fans to be at pitch level. 

Then the players will play better to try and impress them. 

Chuck a load of fit girls and a few fit lads (dependant upon preference) down the side at pitch level. 

Walk the league. 

Awaits some grandad saying fit means healthy 

1 minute ago, Ogdenwoodwhittle said:

What a game though, 5-3 from memory, and we possibly scored before my mates had even taken their seats in the back of the Lookers.

Did it piss it down on them in that open end Rocky back then, if it was the same game they scored the 3 goals in the last 5 minutes iirc. To be fair Plymouth always travelled well despite how they were playing.

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

Did it piss it down on them in that open end Rocky back then, if it was the same game they scored the 3 goals in the last 5 minutes iirc. To be fair Plymouth always travelled well despite how they were playing.

I think they were 2-1 up, thanks to bloody keith edwards,then we moved to  a 4-2 lead  , but they gave us a good game  as we were

top of the table

35 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

That was pompey 91 wasnt it ?

4 minutes ago, peanuts2 said:

That was pompey 91 wasnt it ?

Didn't Mickey Quinn score for Pompey, I can't recall how the scoring went, my abiding memory is the Chaddy giving it to him all game. "He's fat, he's round, his arse is on the ground, Mickey Quinn, Mickey Quinn.