I really do think this is worth discussing as I've heard numerous managers commenting on how beneficial it is having away fans down the touchline under the MS, Lee Allinson the latest to talk post match about how they fed off the energy from their fans, how it helped having them to the side of them.

Now what are we gaining from them fans being in there and putting 50 of our own in the Chaddy? They should be in the top of the Chaddy having as little influence on the game as possible, add to that Sutton probably has to play with added pressure under the noses of the away fans on that flank it makes no sense at all. Sometimes it's down to fine margins and small percentages and offering these teams any perceived advantage just seems stupid to me.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I really do think this is worth discussing as I've heard numerous managers commenting on how beneficial it is having away fans down the touchline under the MS, Lee Allinson the latest to talk post match about how they fed off the energy from their fans, how it helped having them to the side of them.

Now what are we gaining from them fans being in there and putting 50 of our own in the Chaddy? They should be in the top of the Chaddy having as little influence on the game as possible, add to that Sutton probably has to play with added pressure under the noses of the away fans on that flank it makes no sense at all. Sometimes it's down to fine margins and small percentages and offering these teams any perceived advantage just seems stupid to me.

saves cash.

but, yes l agree with you.

4 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Reckon the main stand moaners would be more of a distraction than any away fans!!😂😂

double bubble these days they get both.

*awaits 'they are Pro they can handle it' argument. blended with 'lve paid my money l can behave how l want' and topped with a 'theyre all shit anyway' to finish.

Jayzus Victor, just have a nice little fall already will ya?

1 minute ago, yarddogs said:

Getting desperate now blaming the away fans location on us being shit at home

'Blaming' may be just a teeny stretch on the truth mightn't it, really?

wherever they were sat he was going to credit them. even if they stood silently for 80mins

2 hours ago, yarddogs said:

Getting desperate now blaming the away fans location on us being shit at home

When the home form is as bad as ours I'd certainly be looking at why away teams have the edge over us, watch the visiting teams post match pressers if you doubt what I'm saying. Why would you give them any sort of edge? They should be tucked away in the top corner of the Chaddy away from everything and everyone.

• Like 1

Their is a danger of reading too much into things we lack creativity on the ball which is a problem particularly at home when teams sit in against us as we struggle to break any team even a 7th tier one down.

I actually think it's more of an advantage having fans behind the goal.

19 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Their is a danger of reading too much into things we lack creativity on the ball which is a problem particularly at home when teams sit in against us as we struggle to break any team even a 7th tier one down.

I actually think it's more of an advantage having fans behind the goal.

there is a real disconnect between how many saves their Keeper made before he went off and our 'lack of creativity' in that time. which can't have been too far over half.

of course chances missed against teams from a lower division don't actually count as chances. this is nowhere refered to as 'The Hendon Paradox'.

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

When the home form is as bad as ours I'd certainly be looking at why away teams have the edge over us, watch the visiting teams post match pressers if you doubt what I'm saying. Why would you give them any sort of edge? They should be tucked away in the top corner of the Chaddy away from everything and everyone.

Is this why we are not getting results at home....no.

However as yardog73 says it certainly won't help these teams who bring sub 200 away fans, which will be most, if we park their fans at the back of the Chaddy.

Give it a go I say.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

there is a real disconnect between how many saves their Keeper made before he went off and our 'lack of creativity' in that time. which can't have been too far over half.

of course chances missed against teams from a lower division don't actually count as chances. this is nowhere refered to as 'The Hendon Paradox'.

I've tried Googling Stats for yesterday's game to confirm or deny this however I felt that we may have created the odd chance it's nowhere near as many as we should have done considering how much possession we had. We had alot of the ball but did very little with it. I don't remember their keeper pulling off too many worldies either.

Edited by GlossopLatic

he was on seven saves when he went off and l spent a sizeable chunk of that queueing for a tea. note 'tea' thats why l could count up to seven!!

admittedly, one of those seven was Hallam Hope going straight down the middle and hoping he dived one way or the other.

How dodgy was the lad who came on for them, saying that he had near on fuck all to do for half hour and Norman still made him look like prime Schmeichel in comparison. Fuckin hell  I'm still pissed off with that shit show.

The club really wanted away fans to go into the small section of the RRE and move the family stand into the chaddy. I think they have done it up a bit in there however, after a bit of feedback they chose against it. 

The thinking of moving fans to the main stage not just cost but research last season. They found we conceded most goals facing the chaddy and most grounds in this league stuck us in the corner. 

I know Sutton's golden balls on here (based on absolutely nowt), but defending him by saying he has to stand next to a coach full of away fans for 45mins made me proper piss my pants.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

I know Sutton's golden balls on here (based on absolutely nowt), but defending him by saying he has to stand next to a coach full of away fans for 45mins made me proper piss my pants.

Yes that's what was said 👍

They should be in the Chaddy at the back, as far away as possible. 

Hartlepool brought a decent number and apparently made some noise. I was in the RRE and couldn’t hear a peep except a murmur when Mancini came on. Keeping them towards the back creates a good distance between them and their players. Get them out the way. 

Also lets roll with either the purple or tangarine kit at home for a bit, why not?

Disagree. Football fans spending good money following their team should be given the best possible view of the action (within the limits of sensible segregation) Not shoved as far away as possible. 

I would strongly support new rules to this effect.

Unfortunately I'm sure this is usually on the back of some safety liaison nonsense blah blah blah.

• Like 3

As a supporter that was turfed out of the paddock after sitting / standing there since 1987 (apart from a couple of seasons in the Lookers Paddock) I'm still really pissed off that the club decided to evict us, only to keep the Chaddy open anyway (for effectively less fans than were in our old section).

Could understand them more shutting the Chaddy completely apart from the handful of matches against larger opposition. Bit of an OG from the club IMO.

Totally agree…I’ve travelled to a fair few long haul matches and after a 200 mile+ and £100+ trip, to be stuck right in the corner of a stand in a near empty ground is just not on in my opinion!

As for BP get the away fans back in the Chaddy, it’s quite obvious now that supporters are content having the RRE as the home end as the CRE experiment has shown.

The club can’t be that bothered about the cost because lately there have been less Latics fans in there than away fans!

Edited by oafc1955

I've a very vague memory of away fans being housed in the other main stand paddock in the late 80s. Not sure it made that much difference then.

I think thanks to the previous incompetent regime our safety certification needed improving so this is why we have had to put a load of stewards in the Chaddy with the home fans for those games when home fans are allowed in there. Was Ebbsfleet the last game that happened? 

But if we need something at the end of April against Wealdstone I can see the Chaddy being "fully" open for home fans. I think that is what the club are hoping for with this measure. 

Incidentally on a slightly related topic I have always had my suspicions that home fans were moved out of the Chaddy when a former player who once flicked the V's at the Chaddy was manager is more than a coincidence.

9 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Incidentally on a slightly related topic I have always had my suspicions that home fans were moved out of the Chaddy when a former player who once flicked the V's at the Chaddy was manager is more than a coincidence.

They were moved out when Darren Kelly was manager, weren't they...?

10 hours ago, rudemedic said:

It had been talked about for years, doubt whether any manager had any particular influence

10 hours ago, rudemedic said:

I've a very vague memory of away fans being housed in the other main stand paddock in the late 80s. Not sure it made that much difference then.

About halfway through the 1989-90 season, visiting fans with lower numbers were put in the Lookers stand paddock, which was divided in two at the halfway line. So they got the Rochdale Road end side of that paddock. It was always empty anyway so disturbed no-one and allowed us to use the RRE terrace for the newly-formed Bovis brigade glory hunters. This continued into 1990-91 except for Newcastle, Sheffield Wednesday and West Ham which were given the large section of the RRE terrace. When we were promoted, away fans switched between the large or small section of the RRE depending on their numbers. Some like Citeh, United and Liverpool were given the entire RRE if memory serves.

If some thought Oxford City's 20-odd following was low. I'm sure Plymouth brought a similar amount for a Friday night match in driving sleet in December 1990. You could count them silhouetted against the whitewashed wall of the paddock.