Maybe it's not fair to mention or people don't want to be reminded, perhaps they've maybe forgotten - but right now this day in 1994 Oldham Athletic were finishing their last game as a top level club name.    30 years ago at this moment the players would be leaving the pitch as the last time this was a Premier League club, and all the time since have fallen away through lower leagues to now reside in the conference.    

This is a shame, it's a definite pity, because those of a certain age and you don't have to be a Latics fan either to remember, can recall for a short time at least Oldham put together a strong squad that could compete with other club names far above them in in terms of accomplishment or recognition.     The final day action in 1994 was memorable for many, we were involved and in peril ourselves but survived that afternoon with a surprise draw at Blackburn and other results went our way.     The team was poor however and we were rightfully relegated twelve months later. 

We all have individual recollection of this day 30 years ago and maybe not all for the right reasons, but memories that can live forever.     I'm sure they were all 3pm games back then, no midday starts just traditional kick offs but I never thought back then Oldham would be a non-league team 30 years from now or at least never play in the Premier League or be a top league club name again.

I'm convinced the FA Cup games with Manchester United had something to do with it a couple of weeks before it.    I remember to this day an Oldham player had scored and the game was well into additional time only for them to equalize right at the very end.    You went on to lose the replay game by some margin.      That must have hit team morale badly and caused a level of shock or upset that the club never really got over from then until end of season.      It could have been, or would, an F.A. Cup Final (maybe win against a very average Chelsea team) and survival in the Premier League but I'm sorry there's not an awful lot anyone can do now.      Royle would have been manager as he didn't go until the end of the year but had Oldham survived I think he still may have accepted a position elsewhere. 

It's such a shame the team has fallen behind since that day and now occupies non-league.      I remember exciting games and really good players if only for a short time there with Ritchie. Marshall, Palmer, Holden and Milligan for example but by today in 1994 a number of the old-stars had moved on and the squad was nowhere near as strong or competitive.     Fans of other clubs and those of a certain age, can look back (today) and feel a certain sadness to remember an exact time when Oldham Athletic fell from the very top league and not only never made it back but somehow occupy a (non) league outside of the main four divisions.  

I was aware of todays date for some time before and just felt to give a mention.    You won't be forgotten, not even to fans of other club names.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

First and foremost congrats on your promotion and the example your club has set of a 'fallen giant' (in your case, much bigger than ours) regaining its place, where at least many think it belongs. Our journey has parallels to yours but it has far many more diversions. Nonetheless, I appreciate your comparison and relate to our respective journeys. Good luck in the top flight next year....who knows when we next cross paths. I fondly remember that afternoon at your place in '91 when we secured promotion. Wow, so near and yet so far!

43 minutes ago, Tractors Passing Through said:

a level of shock or upset that the club never really got over from then until end of season. 

I'm afraid it has echoed through the decades not just that season.

Those who remember are all getting on a bit now, I'm grateful for the memories of those times and impressed by the youngsters who have only seen decline who still turn out.

Maybe, just maybe things are on the turn.

Good luck in the top flight. I vaguely recall watching your European exploits back in the day- when TV football was a lot less prevalent than now. Be great to see you back there rather than the overpaid millionaire mercenaries.

4 hours ago, Tractors Passing Through said:

Maybe it's not fair to mention or people don't want to be reminded, perhaps they've maybe forgotten - but right now this day in 1994 Oldham Athletic were finishing their last game as a top level club name.    30 years ago at this moment the players would be leaving the pitch as the last time this was a Premier League club, and all the time since have fallen away through lower leagues to now reside in the conference.    

This is a shame, it's a definite pity, because those of a certain age and you don't have to be a Latics fan either to remember, can recall for a short time at least Oldham put together a strong squad that could compete with other club names far above them in in terms of accomplishment or recognition.     The final day action in 1994 was memorable for many, we were involved and in peril ourselves but survived that afternoon with a surprise draw at Blackburn and other results went our way.     The team was poor however and we were rightfully relegated twelve months later. 

We all have individual recollection of this day 30 years ago and maybe not all for the right reasons, but memories that can live forever.     I'm sure they were all 3pm games back then, no midday starts just traditional kick offs but I never thought back then Oldham would be a non-league team 30 years from now or at least never play in the Premier League or be a top league club name again.

I'm convinced the FA Cup games with Manchester United had something to do with it a couple of weeks before it.    I remember to this day an Oldham player had scored and the game was well into additional time only for them to equalize right at the very end.    You went on to lose the replay game by some margin.      That must have hit team morale badly and caused a level of shock or upset that the club never really got over from then until end of season.      It could have been, or would, an F.A. Cup Final (maybe win against a very average Chelsea team) and survival in the Premier League but I'm sorry there's not an awful lot anyone can do now.      Royle would have been manager as he didn't go until the end of the year but had Oldham survived I think he still may have accepted a position elsewhere. 

It's such a shame the team has fallen behind since that day and now occupies non-league.      I remember exciting games and really good players if only for a short time there with Ritchie. Marshall, Palmer, Holden and Milligan for example but by today in 1994 a number of the old-stars had moved on and the squad was nowhere near as strong or competitive.     Fans of other clubs and those of a certain age, can look back (today) and feel a certain sadness to remember an exact time when Oldham Athletic fell from the very top league and not only never made it back but somehow occupy a (non) league outside of the main four divisions.  

I was aware of todays date for some time before and just felt to give a mention.    You won't be forgotten, not even to fans of other club names.  

We both had the pleasure of Ian Marshall playing for our clubs.

On a tenuously related matter, Coventry seem to have had the complete stuffing knocked out of them following their Wembley FA Cup semi-final injustice. 

Maybe they've taken the baton off us and will face 30 years of decline, while we'll power (upwards) through leagues..

Lump on...

3 hours ago, JoeP said:

On a tenuously related matter, Coventry seem to have had the complete stuffing knocked out of them following their Wembley FA Cup semi-final injustice. 

Maybe they've taken the baton off us and will face 30 years of decline, while we'll power (upwards) through leagues..

Lump on...

With Mark Robins at the helm. It’s rather poetic if that happens.

• Like 1

As Ipswich is my nearest club there has been much happiness in these parts.  I do find it interesting that I've hardly met anyone in the area who isn't an Ipswich fan.  Yes, I've come across the odd bigger club fan but much fewer than one might expect in a region that isn't exactly over-populated with professional clubs.  Maybe it's something to do with general remoteness but there does seem to be a strong sense of local identity

4 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

As Ipswich is my nearest club there has been much happiness in these parts.  I do find it interesting that I've hardly met anyone in the area who isn't an Ipswich fan.  Yes, I've come across the odd bigger club fan but much fewer than one might expect in a region that isn't exactly over-populated with professional clubs.  Maybe it's something to do with general remoteness but there does seem to be a strong sense of local identity

They came out in force during the last 48 hours in Christchurch Park (large recreational green within the Town) as some 50 thousand fans celebrated a return to the top league for 22 years.     We've always been about down there from you but up until very recently it's been something of an embarrassment to be a supporter of the team, often felt ashamed to be noticed or even associated with the club name.     Up until about 2 years ago fans with us were well squashed and forced to go under the radar but we've been given a new life, a second chance at existence you could say.

I don't know who the owners are at Boundary Park or if they're really what fans there are happy with but that's where the poison was with us.    Marcus Evans had set a course of obliteration and was finally made to leave just before it really was allowed to get into total disarray.     Had he remained and still in position now, we'd be starting next season in League Two not the Premier League, of that I am convinced.     He was a lethal threat to everything the club name stood for and you'd have to have been a part of it for the entire time to truly understand.

If the owners aren't the problem at Oldham, maybe the manager isn't up to scratch.     I don't wish to castigate your club personnel or really attempt to find fault but there's something inherently wrong with a once proud team set-up in a relatively recent time now finding themselves in a league outside of the professional structure and seems some distance off from making it back to standard League level.       I feel if one or two things could be rectified it would allow the club name to break free and at least move it the right direction.

People today wouldn't understand or believe it but I can recall clearly when Oldham Athletic were in a better position to challenge for trophies than Manchester City, actually achieved more, in fact they did - and for a time at least, more successful then Blackburn or Bolton, all up there in the North-West area.      You just need to address the area you feel holds the club name back most, why you aren't progressing as you should, and take it from there.     I assume you're happy with the players, on another thread it appears the youth team set-up are promising and coming through so there's reason for hope in the future.        Identify where the primary reasons your club isn't progressing back as it should and do whatever you can to make it work.  Protest if you can, make the owners aware of what you feel they are doing wrong and try to find a solution or plan that allows the club to move back upwards towards it's rightful place or status. 

We very nearly fell into League 2 about three years ago, however with a near entire club personnel overhaul and clear-out we now get ready for a return to the top level.      Oldham maybe can't or won't follow such direction in such a short span of time but I'd do or suggest whatever helps if it assists your club name on the route back towards some or many of us can clearly recall.    Thank you.  

8 minutes ago, Tractors Passing Through said:

I assume you're happy with the players,

Ironically you seem to have landed on the very thing that many supporters are NOT happy with.

Really enjoying your posts. Lots of memories both good and bad. Congrats on the promotion, now the hard work begins.

Hope you manage to keep your manager like Luton have done this year.

Hopefully some good memories to come with the present owners.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Tractors Passing Through said:

They came out in force during the last 48 hours in Christchurch Park (large recreational green within the Town) as some 50 thousand fans celebrated a return to the top league for 22 years.     We've always been about down there from you but up until very recently it's been something of an embarrassment to be a supporter of the team, often felt ashamed to be noticed or even associated with the club name.     Up until about 2 years ago fans with us were well squashed and forced to go under the radar but we've been given a new life, a second chance at existence you could say.

I don't know who the owners are at Boundary Park or if they're really what fans there are happy with but that's where the poison was with us.    Marcus Evans had set a course of obliteration and was finally made to leave just before it really was allowed to get into total disarray.     Had he remained and still in position now, we'd be starting next season in League Two not the Premier League, of that I am convinced.     He was a lethal threat to everything the club name stood for and you'd have to have been a part of it for the entire time to truly understand.

If the owners aren't the problem at Oldham, maybe the manager isn't up to scratch.     I don't wish to castigate your club personnel or really attempt to find fault but there's something inherently wrong with a once proud team set-up in a relatively recent time now finding themselves in a league outside of the professional structure and seems some distance off from making it back to standard League level.       I feel if one or two things could be rectified it would allow the club name to break free and at least move it the right direction.

People today wouldn't understand or believe it but I can recall clearly when Oldham Athletic were in a better position to challenge for trophies than Manchester City, actually achieved more, in fact they did - and for a time at least, more successful then Blackburn or Bolton, all up there in the North-West area.      You just need to address the area you feel holds the club name back most, why you aren't progressing as you should, and take it from there.     I assume you're happy with the players, on another thread it appears the youth team set-up are promising and coming through so there's reason for hope in the future.        Identify where the primary reasons your club isn't progressing back as it should and do whatever you can to make it work.  Protest if you can, make the owners aware of what you feel they are doing wrong and try to find a solution or plan that allows the club to move back upwards towards it's rightful place or status. 

We very nearly fell into League 2 about three years ago, however with a near entire club personnel overhaul and clear-out we now get ready for a return to the top level.      Oldham maybe can't or won't follow such direction in such a short span of time but I'd do or suggest whatever helps if it assists your club name on the route back towards some or many of us can clearly recall.    Thank you.  

We went from the premier league to non-league due to poor owners making poor decisions over a long period of time. However our current owners are the right people who we want in charge of the football club. Frank Rothwell is the Fred Dibner of football club owners a local man with the strong sense of civic duty. So we are at the moment I safe hands off the pitch they've made some steady Improvements new pitch dugouts and a brand new fan bar. 

They invested on the pitch too notably on signing James Norwood a name you familiar with. With money put down the expectation was atleast a top 7 finish something we were looking good to achieve up until the start of March where we fell to pieces really. We have a manager in Micky Mellon who is a serial promotion winner he has 5 on his CV So in theory we should be OK. But he has a big job on this summer adjusting the squad so that we are promotion contenders next season. If we are to identify the pri.ary reason why we haven't progressed its recruitment which despite us having a top 7 probably top 3 budget in the league we only finished 10th. The lesson from this season is that just throwing money at it won't solve the problem you need to do it smartly.

After a bad end to the season then their is a few mumbles of discontent and a feeling of here we go again, but the situation is far from hopeless. Their is no reason we can't turn it round next season and be atleast top 7. The journey back to the EFL isn't an easy one. But we can and will get there.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 2

On 5/8/2024 at 6:42 PM, Tractors Passing Through said:

I've just finished reading one of the best books on football, or indeed any sport, I've ever read - Answered Prayers by Duncan Hamilton. It's about the 1966 World Cup winners and what happened to them afterwards, with a particular focus on Sir Alf Ramsey. If you haven't read it, Mr Tractor, you will enjoy it, especially the section on Ramsey's amazing achievements at Ipswich. Some great stories in there about John Cobbold, too, who was clearly quite a character. The book is unputdownable and very sad at times.

Ramsey may have been losing his touch by 1974 when we failed to qualify for the World Cup, but his treatment by the FA was utterly disgraceful, matched only by their and West Ham's treatment of Bobby Moore. I didn't realise until I read Hamilton's book that the FA never bothered to invite Ramsey to England's Euro 96 matches, which it hosted. Bobby Moore was once asked to leave Upton Park because he didn't have a ticket. As you say, the character of club owners is important, and in the Rothwell family we finally have good and generous owners. Good luck to you next season.