Gregan's programme notes

Courtesy of the bloke/woman/kid, who left their programme in the Clayton Green before the game.

I must say that some of the abuse behind the goal at accrington was wrong.

Fans pay their money and are entitled to make comments like "Gregan, you're rubbish." and "Crossley you're rubbish." but some overstepped the line when we went 2-0 down. It's not right, because we are not there to get personal abuse and some of the stuff coming from behind the goal was totally out of order.

Football is about opinions but players dont make mistakes on purpose.

This is YOUR football club and we are trying OUR best to get it out of this division.

Nope. The words YOUR and OUR arent put in capital's for dramatic effect from me. That's how they're printed in todays programme I've got in my hands courtesy of some one who left it in the pub before the game.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Courtesy of the bloke/woman/kid, who left their programme in the Clayton Green before the game.

Nope. The words YOUR and OUR arent put in capital's for dramatic effect from me. That's how they're printed in todays programme I've got in my hands courtesy of some one who left it in the pub before the game.

well there not there to underperform either are they.

obviously yes its about opinions and when your 2-0 down at half time to the lowest club in the whole league you are allowed to sound off,thats what being a fan is all about,you love your club so much it hurts when it goes wrong.

maybe he should of been man enough to admit the fans were right for having a go,as we did play rubbish in the first half,but i think we turned it around in the second so the fans can see we are making an effort for them.....or words to that effect.

Gregan is spot on with his comments..........

Gregan is absolutely a million miles from base with his comments.

Anyone remember what happened with the last club captain that tried to tell those who really care how to follow the team they love?

I will also add that the last club captain that attempted to do so, I have a lot of time for. I think he is an absolutely belting bloke, but there are lines that players shouldn't cross.

Gregan is getting extremely close.

KtF,

Derek.

He shouldnt of used the word Your. Whether he meant it or not, it seperates the player from the fans.

To put an emphasis on those two words, it just gives an 'us' and 'them' feel when surely fan and player should be as one. Or am I completely off the mark :blink:

Edited by Rocky_Latic

Gregan is absolutely a million miles from base with his comments.

Anyone remember what happened with the last club captain that tried to tell those who really care how to follow the team they love?

I will also add that the last club captain that attempted to do so, I have a lot of time for. I think he is an absolutely belting bloke, but there are lines that players shouldn't cross.

Gregan is getting extremely close.

KtF,

Derek.

He is commenting on how crap the fans are when things aren't going well and he's right...I've never know fans like it than we have at Oldham some people are just unbelivable with there slagging of the players and booing. He also has a point in us losing players due to this happening...Porter is an example he had no time for the fans cause when he was struggling he just got abused then all of a sudden he's loved, he was never going to stay, he had no affection to the fans! Wellens got it where I sat last season towards the end aswell and who knows why he didn't stay and sod of to a team in the same league and a bit of extra money...........

He shouldnt of used the word Your. Whether he meant it or not, it seperates the player from the fans.

To put an emphasis on those two words, it just gives an 'us' and 'them' feel when surely fan and player should be as one. Or am I completely off the mark :blink:

I agree totally Luke.

YOUR was emphasised. HE meant it.

KtF,

Derek.

Course I would they all have to try Harder!

we all know they have to try harder there is no argument there but it is the singling out of certain players - which has always been a trait of fans at BP - it just this season we have more a few players who are being singled out.

i will not get into an debate about the chaddy fans again but they again today also let the side down - sorry but its true the fans in the chaddy end were just as bad.

today for the first time my niece who's seven came to the game and after 25 mins asked me why the men behind the goal dont sing and cheer, and dont give me that rubbish about something to cheer about - because again zzzzzzzzzzzzz i know i sound like a broken record we do it away.

WE ALSO NEED TO LOOK AT OURSELVES TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by neiladamsheadband

How many times have we said things long the lines that WE'LL be here long after players, owners and whoever else has gone? Gregan is recognizing the same thing, it's ourselves that we are hurting when we go over the line in abusing people we are on the pitch, or for that matter going over programme notes in forensic detail looking for a reason to scapegoat someone who is in fact saying that he wants to do well for us.

How many times have we said things long the lines that WE'LL be here long after players, owners and whoever else has gone? Gregan is recognizing the same thing, it's ourselves that we are hurting when we go over the line in abusing people we are on the pitch, or for that matter going over programme notes in forensic detail looking for a reason to scapegoat someone who is in fact saying that he wants to do well for us.

Well said that man.

At the moment, the Gregan Bashers are looking for any possible excuse to have a pop. Yesterday, he played ok but still gets blamed by some for the first goal. One misplaced pass in the whole game (start of second half) gave the numpties near me the opportunity to bay for him to be substituted as he wasn't good enough for Latics.

Still, it gives a load of overweight and unfit blokes the chance to call someone else a lardarse I suppose.

We're missing Haining :wink:

Maybe. As we saw with England, it is about pairings and not necessarily the best individuals.

What we have been missing all Season is a reliable and well matched pair of Centre Backs. I think that Gregan and Hazell played well together yesterday and the combination will probably get better the more games they play as a partnership.

I was very impressed with Hazell yesterday.

Maybe. As we saw with England, it is about pairings and not necessarily the best individuals.

What we have been missing all Season is a reliable and well matched pair of Centre Backs. I think that Gregan and Hazell played well together yesterday and the combination will probably get better the more games they play as a partnership.

I was very impressed with Hazell yesterday.

can see why shez is having a look at him for a month!

has thompson ever played at right back?? talk about fish outta water!! mind you our welsh wizard didnt exactly rip up the turf when he came on...

Q.. how much are we missing kilkenny?? mcdonald has disappeared somewhat ... needs a few weeks on loan if you ask me.. he's got it there somewhere..

Well said that man.

At the moment, the Gregan Bashers are looking for any possible excuse to have a pop. Yesterday, he played ok but still gets blamed by some for the first goal. One misplaced pass in the whole game (start of second half) gave the numpties near me the opportunity to bay for him to be substituted as he wasn't good enough for Latics.

Still, it gives a load of overweight and unfit blokes the chance to call someone else a lardarse I suppose.

Gregan has been nothing like the player he was when he was on loan. This has to be down to a serious attitude deficit. Seems to me like he is trying to use the fans as a scapegoat for some terrible performances. And he has clearly put pounds on in the summer, theres no getting away from that. I dont really understand your comment about latics fans being overweight or unfit or what your getting at.

Gregan has been nothing like the player he was when he was on loan. This has to be down to a serious attitude deficit. Seems to me like he is trying to use the fans as a scapegoat for some terrible performances. And he has clearly put pounds on in the summer, theres no getting away from that. I dont really understand your comment about latics fans being overweight or unfit or what your getting at.

At the start of the Season (and during the friendlies), many were saying that Gregan had lost at least a stone in weight during the Summer. That was confirmed by OAFC but let's not allow facts to get in the way.

Have a look and listen next time you are at Latics. Most of those calling Gregan "fat" are at least 3 stone overweight and couldn't run to save their lives. These are the same guys who call Ricketts "fat". Don't know if you saw him "shirtless" at Burnley but there are many who would kill to get a physique like him.

If Gregan could play week in week out at the level he showed during his loan spell, then he wouldn't be here - he would be a regular in The Championship. His performance yesterday was good though - alongside Hazell, he was MOM for me - but still that is not good enough for some who want to see him dropped.

If Gregan could play week in week out at the level he showed during his loan spell, then he wouldn't be here - he would be a regular in The Championship. His performance yesterday was good though - alongside Hazell, he was MOM for me - but still that is not good enough for some who want to see him dropped.

First of all, for the avoidance of doubt, I do NOT want to see Gregan dropped (I know I_C realises that already). I want him to get back to his pre-contract form.

I appreciate that the older you get, the performance becomes less consistent (behave yourselves!), but we're not talking years - it's less than twelve months since Gregan was turning in consistent outstanding performances. It appears to me, and many others judging by their comments, that Gregan allows himsef to be distracted from the job in hand (behave yourselves!) and is looking for ways of showing his own players, the opposition and the match officials that he's the boss around here. He uses his hands or his arse when he should be using his feet and his brain. He wasn't guilty of this criticism when on loan.

Although I keep criticising Gregan about his change for the worse I don't verbally abuse him. Having said that, players must expect verbal criticism from fans and they have it in their power to prove the criticising fans wrong. Or put another way, players can stop doing the things for which they're criticised.

During half-time at Accrington I was complaining to I_C and S_W about the Thommo abusers stood near me - I heard nobody shouting criticism at Gregan. Where I_C and S_W were stood they heard the criticism of Gregan. Although I didn't hear any, I can't believe that it was so vehement to justify Gregan reacting the way he has through the programme notes.

As I_C says, if Gregan could play week in week out at the level he showed during his loan spell, then he would be a regular in The Championship - that's what I want, hopefully next season playing for OUR club.

Well said that man.

if he was playing well he would'nt be getting any stick would he?.fans are'nt stupid they can see when players are'nt performing.last season when gregan was here on loan he was the bees knees,why,because he was playing for a contract,now he's got one he just does'nt seem to be playing at that same consistent high level.if you can tell me your happy with his performances this season then i think your easily pleased.

if he was playing well he would'nt be getting any stick would he?.fans are'nt stupid they can see when players are'nt performing.last season when gregan was here on loan he was the bees knees,why,because he was playing for a contract,now he's got one he just does'nt seem to be playing at that same consistent high level.if you can tell me your happy with his performances this season then i think your easily pleased.

Fans aren't stupid? Sorry but out of 5000, then I reckon we easily have our fair share.

Alongside Hazell yesterday, he was arguably the best player in an Oldham Shirt. My opinion yes - but also plenty of others.

Yesterday though and like several times this Season, people are trying to pick fault even where Gregan has played well. You and a couple of others have blamed him for the Southend goal yesterday. He was beaten by an excellent piece of skill from their striker who lifted the ball over his head. Same could have happened to Ferdinand or Terry. The finger of blame could also have been pointed at Hazell for missing the initial header; Thompson for being in no man's land or Crossley for being beaten at his near post. But oh no - let's find fault in Gregan because it suits and is the flavour of the month. To be honest, it was a well crafted and very well taken goal.

The only other thing I saw him do wrong yesterday was misplace a pass at the start of the second half. So come on then - what did I miss? I read elsewhere that he was a liability yesterday and should be dropped because of his poor performance. Sorry but that is complete crap.

He's not played as well as he can for sure this season bar Burnley (first half); Accrington (second half) and yesterday, but as I've said repeatedly, his "average" is better than most other players. Also, if he were playing at a consistently high level, then he would not be wearing an Oldham Shirt.

There are far worse problems than Gregan at the moment but it seems many of our fans are hell-bent on trying to make him the scapegoat for everything despite the fact that most others realise he played pretty well yesterday.

The problems were not in defence but with our strikers and attacking options from midfield.