Boundary Park in 1979

Just looking for some "away" info and came across this. Like I say dunno if its been linked before, apologies in advance if it has.

BP in 1979

Its not brilliant footage, best viewed in "original" mode.

Some other great links here too, 40 odd other grounds. Wow I'd forgotten ho bad Spotland was back then.

All from the site Ground guide

Cruel but funny! :D

Thanks... but on a serious note you're right that this shows our roots and where we come from... but also where we need to be and reach to be a positive member of the community and a force on the pitch...

I wish I could make tomorrow... I can't... but if you can, watch this video and let it galvanise you and show how much your club needs your support tomorrow!

Thanks for that. Very poignant to see where we've come from, now that we're on the brink of a big step forward.

thanks for that, i used to love those old blue press boxes, gave the ground a bit of distinction, less room for the fans though. the ford stand would only be about 6-7 years old then,

what a bit of film for the future eh.

Great find Stipey and it evoked a few memories.

It also shows a unique attribute of Boundary Park in English League football. Something that will hopefully get consigned to history tomorrow night!

Any ideas what people? :grin:

I know BP is the second highest ground - WBA's is higher - could it be that the floodlight pylons are the highest?

That's fantastic Stipey. That was the golden era of football for my money, the late Seventies. Real football, great players, and hard tackles. Oh, and you could stand without any fuss as well!

Spotland was a bit of a dump, however senior family members took me to watch my first football match in 1979 at Rochdale - family members who are sadly no longer with me. Great memories. Good times...

Great find Stipey and it evoked a few memories.

It also shows a unique attribute of Boundary Park in English League football. Something that will hopefully get consigned to history tomorrow night!

Any ideas what people? :grin:

That would be players coming down steps to get onto the pitch. I'm a font of wonderful knowledge today aren't I?

Guest oa_exile
I know chaps, couldn't believe it meself, pure fluke in spotting it I admit, poignant indeed DS.

Who do you reckon it is on the pitch then?

Nice one Stipey , quality find :)

Could be Harry Dowd ?

That would be players coming down steps to get onto the pitch. I'm a font of wonderful knowledge today aren't I?

Boo hiss. :angry:

I was hoping to string Diego along for a good couple of days with this one!

You are of course correct and the "steps down to the pitch" will be a thing of the past in a couple of years if all goes well tomorrow night!

Boo hiss. :angry:

I was hoping to string Diego along for a good couple of days with this one!

You are of course correct and the "steps down to the pitch" will be a thing of the past in a couple of years if all goes well tomorrow night!

At the risk of repeating myself (it's never stopped me before) I learn something every day on here.

I think we should start a campaign to incorporate our unique feature of steps down to the pitch into the design for the new North Stand, IF planning permission is granted.

Or are the steps to blame for players getting injured in the warm-up? If so, let's have steps down to the pitch from the visitors' dressing room and a ramp for our boys. :grin: Then when certain refs :clown: are officiating they could be directed to the steps. :devilish:

I think we should start a campaign to incorporate our unique feature of steps down to the pitch into the design for the new North Stand, IF planning permission is granted.

Coming down icy steps to the pitch while heading towards a low setting sun (and avoiding falling bat crap) will be a recipe for disaster in the winter months! :o

We'll never get sign-off from the Health and Safety Executive! :)

Coming down icy steps to the pitch while heading towards a low setting sun (and avoiding falling bat crap) will be a recipe for disaster in the winter months! :o

We'll never get sign-off from the Health and Safety Executive! :)

Think modern - there is bound to be a poncey fold-away plastic tunnel (like they have at the football temple that is Moss Lane, Altrincham), coated in bat crap, to ensure that the steps remain dry and glare-free. It will also protect the :clown: match officials from flying objects, as they return to their dressing room up the steps.

Yes, I think I'm onto a winner here. We should already be marketing the uniqueness of our ground - some of the Japanese tourists could take in a match at BP when they're over for their megastore visit to Trafford Borough. They'd be queueing up to get in and would be itching to tell others about the difference that is BP.

Time for Bob Gorrill to step up to the mark on this one!