Fan Power Can Make The Difference

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK guys, it's not the time to be falling out amongst ourselves or having misunderstandings when we are all to say the least a bit hot under the collar. Let's just say that a lot of Oldham politicians of all parties aren't all we might hope for.

Wow thats an understatement :P :lol:

Andy, I wasn't falling out with anybody until Garcon replied.

I wasn't having a go at anyone, just that we need to be united at the moment - and that means all of us! Fingers crossed we'll have plenty of opportunity to have other debates when we've sorted the bloody council out.

Andy, I wasn't falling out with anybody until Garcon replied.

And I replied to put you right. This is not a party political issue, there was no party whip on this decision. Those who voted against did so because they were peruaded by a Planning Committee Chairman acting out of nothing more than dishonest self-interest.

Obviously, you can vote for who you like, but you cannot blame any political party for this decision.

And I replied to put you right. This is not a party political issue, there was no party whip on this decision. Those who voted against did so because they were peruaded by a Planning Committee Chairman acting out of nothing more than dishonest self-interest.

Obviously, you can vote for who you like, but you cannot blame any political party for this decision.

Thats how it is meant to run.....but anyone who knows anything about politics knows the truth is different to be fair....

But my point is it's not just this decision (football aside). There was a comment on reduction of 'open spaces' on't fishul. What open spaces? A car park and a wasteland. I personally am sooooooo disillusioned with the people who are supposed to represent the people, ah, I think I'll leave it there as I have to go to work yet. I don't fancy getting the sack for thumping someone.

Afternoon Councillor,

I spent the first 3 years of my life in Failsworth, followed by another 8 in Chadderton before my mum decided we should move to Bury. Now then, what were the reasons I asked myself at the time. All my friends and family were in Oldham, and I was being taken to a strange place where I didn't know anybody and the people seemed different. After 14 years of living in Bury I have the answers. The schools are poorer in Oldham. There is more crime. There is nothing to do. There are not enough jobs. The place has a negative feel. And these are my mum's answers, not mine. After yesterday evenings farce, I can add a new one to that list. The council do not like change.

There are 2 places I spend the majority of my time. I live in Bury, I work in Oldham. I recently decided to buy a house with my boyfriend. First time buyer. And guess where I chose to plough upto £160,000? Pay my taxes to. Hopefully have kids and send them to school to. You guessed it, Bury. Originally I wanted to come home. Because I still see Oldham as my home. After last night, I would be ashamed to call it my home. I am from Bury.

Bury has a cinema, a bowling alley, an Asda, a Tesco, large M&S, a world famous market, they are building new retail complexes to include a large Debenhams, several gyms, several hotels with conferencing facilities, an ever expanding Millgate shopping centre, new business premises, car showrooms are popping up everywhere, decent schools and colleges to which people travel from miles around, a new and improved Metrolink, new retail parks. The list is endless.

Now then, what does Oldham have? Elk Mill, Bingo hall, unpopular, dying market, new Asda. And now I'm struggling, and I travel all over the town!

Don't compare much do they?

Another point I would like to raise is the role of the chair of a meeting. I believe they are there to guide the discussion. Ensure the same point is not raised repeatedly. Draw out different opinions and encourage those who are quiet to speak of their thoughts. Can you honestly say you carried out your role correctly last night? I was utterly disgusted at your comments against the plans and your blatant attempt at influencing committee members votes.

The whole process was an absolute shambles. Councillors who hadn't even read the plans, arguments over natinally accepted traffic statistics and models and ignorance towards government policies. But most of all, sheer horror at the ignorance of people who actually live in this dying town voting against a plan that would not only generate jobs, provide well needed office space for businesses, conferencing facilities, affordable housing, but provide a level footing for the towns football club, which unites many.

Thank you for your time Councillor Bashforth. I am from Bury, but a Latics fan keeping the faith until I die.

Regards,

Jacqueline Roberts

I now live in Bury and have done for around 10 years. When you look at Oldham compared with Bury its like they are towns in different continents.

I have a good friend who lives in Bury who I visit alot and its true. I just moved to Warrington because of the way Oldham was going and its just a totally different way of life over here.

Im not scared to walk the streets at night for a start....

Edited by oafc0000

I have seen lots of comments and very good emails being sent to various councillors today.... brilliant.

Do we need to have a standard well thought out email that we send to the planning committee and also the chron.

If so can somebody thats good at writing these post one for us all to use

Afternoon Councillor,

I spent the first 3 years of my life in Failsworth, followed by another 8 in Chadderton before my mum decided we should move to Bury. Now then, what were the reasons I asked myself at the time. All my friends and family were in Oldham, and I was being taken to a strange place where I didn't know anybody and the people seemed different. After 14 years of living in Bury I have the answers. The schools are poorer in Oldham. There is more crime. There is nothing to do. There are not enough jobs. The place has a negative feel. And these are my mum's answers, not mine. After yesterday evenings farce, I can add a new one to that list. The council do not like change.

There are 2 places I spend the majority of my time. I live in Bury, I work in Oldham. I recently decided to buy a house with my boyfriend. First time buyer. And guess where I chose to plough upto £160,000? Pay my taxes to. Hopefully have kids and send them to school to. You guessed it, Bury. Originally I wanted to come home. Because I still see Oldham as my home. After last night, I would be ashamed to call it my home. I am from Bury.

Bury has a cinema, a bowling alley, an Asda, a Tesco, large M&S, a world famous market, they are building new retail complexes to include a large Debenhams, several gyms, several hotels with conferencing facilities, an ever expanding Millgate shopping centre, new business premises, car showrooms are popping up everywhere, decent schools and colleges to which people travel from miles around, a new and improved Metrolink, new retail parks. The list is endless.

Now then, what does Oldham have? Elk Mill, Bingo hall, unpopular, dying market, new Asda. And now I'm struggling, and I travel all over the town!

Don't compare much do they?

Another point I would like to raise is the role of the chair of a meeting. I believe they are there to guide the discussion. Ensure the same point is not raised repeatedly. Draw out different opinions and encourage those who are quiet to speak of their thoughts. Can you honestly say you carried out your role correctly last night? I was utterly disgusted at your comments against the plans and your blatant attempt at influencing committee members votes.

The whole process was an absolute shambles. Councillors who hadn't even read the plans, arguments over natinally accepted traffic statistics and models and ignorance towards government policies. But most of all, sheer horror at the ignorance of people who actually live in this dying town voting against a plan that would not only generate jobs, provide well needed office space for businesses, conferencing facilities, affordable housing, but provide a level footing for the towns football club, which unites many.

Thank you for your time Councillor Bashforth. I am from Bury, but a Latics fan keeping the faith until I die.

Regards,

Jacqueline Roberts

I still live in Oldham but work in Bury, and although not perfect is still head and shoulders above Oldham. Well said

I have seen lots of comments and very good emails being sent to various councillors today.... brilliant.

Do we need to have a standard well thought out email that we send to the planning committee and also the chron.

If so can somebody thats good at writing these post one for us all to use

I think it better to send individual ones.

At least it shows we care and are creative. Unlike the Councillors who are sending stock, vanilla replies to everyone who mails them.

I think it better to send individual ones.

At least it shows we care and are creative. Unlike the Councillors who are sending stock, vanilla replies to everyone who mails them.

I think individual ones are VERY important but I think a joint letter from OWTB, Supporters Assoication, The Trust would be a powerful letter to send as well.

We could put together all the best points raised so far!

Edited by oafc0000

But my point is it's not just this decision (football aside). There was a comment on reduction of 'open spaces' on't fishul. What open spaces? A car park and a wasteland. I personally am sooooooo disillusioned with the people who are supposed to represent the people, ah, I think I'll leave it there as I have to go to work yet. I don't fancy getting the sack for thumping someone.

That's fair comment - I can understand how you feel. I don't quite get the comment on open spaces either - they seem to think an unsightly expanse of rough ground is an 'open space'.

I'm in the process of trying to find out the personal views of Councillors Pendlebury and Hindle (in terms of what would make them vote in favour of a future application) with the intention of passing on to the club.

Given this was seemingly an irrational decision, the club will need to be able to read the minds of at least six members of the committee before it resubmits...

Another sent to Larkin today.

Sir,

I have read your replies to the many emails you've recieved stating their total bewilderment at your against decision reached during the recent planning meeting.

I would like to add my voice to your growing numbers of unhappy people.

Firstly, this was an outline planning order, no more! Simon Corney clearly went on record during the meeting that if a yes vote was reached he would continue to work with the residents and the planners and would lower the blocks. This totally pacifies your concerns regarding 'keeping in with the other housing'. Whilst this also would have a knock on effect with your concerns about volumes of cars.

Please explain why the council tax payers of Oldham need the expense of qualified, experienced and expensive planning officers, when their reccomendations mean absolutely nothing to layman councillors?

Enjoy the protest march this coming Saturday against this decision whilst showing our support for three men from outside this backward thinking town who saw a vision to help give it a positive vibe.

Remember, Ballot box justice rules. Or was Cllr Bashforth thinking about that when quite clearly from the chair he choose to sway the others? upon looking at his margin I rather think he was.

I have a good friend who lives in Bury who I visit alot and its true. I just moved to Warrington because of the way Oldham was going and its just a totally different way of life over here.

Im not scared to walk the streets at night for a start....

I moved away from Oldham to give my kids a chance in schools that arn't run like Karno's army. I felt terrible leaving the town of my birth but having done so now see how poor a town Oldham is. It may be the time for someone to stand against these councillors in the forthcoming elections. They couldn'y make a bigger mess than it already is.