Best ever Latics memory...

Mine has to be one of my first trips to BP when my dad took me to the Oldham Vs Scarborough game in the league cup when Frankie netted 6 and and Ritchie finnished it off!! They were the days.....

Thats probably my earliest memory of Latics that, watchin latics in the league cup final and me shouting the "Referees a W#@!er" in McDonalds after a game which we played sheff wed (i think) because i was only a toddler and everyone else was shouting it at the match... obviously didnt understand what it meant... :grin:

No doubt it's my first trip to Boundary Park - a 3-3 draw with Coventry in the top flight... Andy Richie played an amazing game and set up a goal and scored a penalty in front of the Chaddy end... I'll never forget it.

I was in the exec box for that one. Won a competition in the paper the club used to do. Met Gunnar, Stitch and the rest after :bblue2:

Guest sheridans_world

I've only ever seen latics play second and third divison football (as the damn things should be called... premiership, championship all a load of tosh :angry: )

So I have a few memories that could rank up there, making it to the playoffs (both times that i saw), beating Mansfield and Grimsby 6-0(?).

But for sheer elation, managing to get a draw with Scunthorpe last season!

Oh and who can forget that 25 yard screamer from Hughes, the REAL Hughes. Oldham 3 - 0 Bournemouth! Nearly as good as Huddersfield away last season!

In no particular order.....

Ipswich away to seal promotion

Draw in LW cup at S'ton .. first 'long distance' away and well worth it

S/Heff Wed 'that game'

S'ton home to seal another season in top flight

Liverpool/Manure away first match's in top flight

Didn't actually enjoy the LW cup final .... first time had to sit at a game. Didn't like the sitting bit one bit

I was in the exec box for that one. Won a competition in the paper the club used to do. Met Gunnar, Stitch and the rest after :bblue2:

So many great memories over the years Whilst I have my own personal favourite games. All time favourite memory has to be the Littlewoods Cup Final, I was only 13 but loved eevry minute of it. 'Ickle Oldham getting to Wembley and destroying the cream of English football week after week, it wasn't only the final it was the whole season from the Scarborough game onwards and although Forest beat us and I was gutted then even mor devastated when Wolves grabbed a late leveller to end our Play Off dreams I was convinced we would win promotion the year after, and how!

In no particular order.....

Ipswich away to seal promotion

Draw in LW cup at S'ton .. first 'long distance' away and well worth it

S/Heff Wed 'that game'

S'ton home to seal another season in top flight

Liverpool/Manure away first match's in top flight

Didn't actually enjoy the LW cup final .... first time had to sit at a game. Didn't like the sitting bit one bit

Pretty much the same for me, but I would add the 3-1 win over Arsenal and the 6-0 Semi-Final win over West Ham in the Littlewoods Cup..................... oh and I did enjoy the trip to Wembley.

I find it hard to believe Id follow latics with such passion if I hadnt grown up through the glory years. I can at least stand proud when Im talking to other football fans and say we've at least been there and done it.

I got lucky, started attending in Play Off season of 86-87 and although it ended in heartbreak I was hooked. First half of 87-88 was pretty poor, then it was a goalfeat after we signed Frankie Bunn. 88/89 we were riddled with injuries but clicked again from February onwards scored loads concede loads. As for 89/90 it was a poor start but boy did it all fall into place, probably with the Plymouth defender's mistake when he passed straight to Ritchie to put us 3-1 up in a game we eventually won 3-2, we were on the up from then on and then from Scarborough we were unstoppable! Then of course was the Championship season when often we were workmanlike especially away from BP, then 3 great years playing the elite. So at least we can say we've seen the thick as well as a lot of thin. In fact at times over the last 13 years it has been goddam anorexic! So thin in fact I've seen Lenny Henry and Bob Geldof hosting appeals! Feel sorry for the younger generation that have only ever known mediocrity but our time will come again, sonner rather than later imo!

:lookers:

Same as Sheridans world for me i have only ever seen Latics in the lower league.

My best memory is super Scotty Vernon banging the winner against city. I still have the MOTD match on tape:)

Gotta be the best match i have been that and i remember when we beat City at Main Road with Dux scoring a header and Gary Kelly saved a pen..

O how i remember the end of the FA cup match as Distin was running away as the whistle goes and he looked so gutted.

:D

KTF

I got lucky, started attending in Play Off season of 86-87 and although it ended in heartbreak I was hooked. First half of 87-88 was pretty poor, then it was a goalfeat after we signed Frankie Bunn. 88/89 we were riddled with injuries but clicked again from February onwards scored loads concede loads. As for 89/90 it was a poor start but boy did it all fall into place, probably with the Plymouth defender's mistake when he passed straight to Ritchie to put us 3-1 up in a game we eventually won 3-2, we were on the up from then on and then from Scarborough we were unstoppable! Then of course was the Championship season when often we were workmanlike especially away from BP, then 3 great years playing the elite. So at least we can say we've seen the thick as well as a lot of thin. In fact at times over the last 13 years it has been goddam anorexic! So thin in fact I've seen Lenny Henry and Bob Geldof hosting appeals! Feel sorry for the younger generation that have only ever known mediocrity but our time will come again, sonner rather than later imo!

:lookers:

Ok Favourite Games, love this sort of thread! (Really should get some work done if I want that pint later!)

22/11/86 v Palace W1-0 First Ever Game, Tommy Wright Scored The Winner

29/11/88 v Everton L0-2 Played them off the park when they were good!

8/4/90 v Manchester United D3-3 Could see Bugger all at the back of the Kippax, but what a day and atmosphere (First ever 'away' game)

29/4/90 v Forest L0-1 (Fantastic Day Out and memories)

15/12/90 v Wolves W4-1 Proper football conditions great goal from stitch

23/3/91 v WBA W2-1 Euphoric scenes when THe Dodger bagegd the winner in Injury time, thats the goal that bagged promotion imo!

21/8/91 v Chelsea W3-0 First home game back in the top flight. Easy, Easy, Easy!

28/9/91 v City W2-1 Congaing in the Platt Lane End after Sharp's brace

29/8/92 v City D3-3 Manchester goals behind twice, sat in the main standdid I care Did I........................

9/9/93 v United W1-0 Need I say More?

2/5/93 v Villa W1-0 In the Holte End, thought I wouldn't get out alive, what a result

5/5/93 v Liverpool W3-2 The look on SCOUSELATIC's face when only bagged 2 in a minute was priceless. As was his slap on the back of David James' head going up the tunnel that ended in him being grabbed by the Chief Inspector and having to apologise to James in the Players Tunnel!

8/5/93 v Southampton W4-3 The Great Escape

12/3/94 v Bolton W1-0 Feed the Bear!

30/8/94 v Notts County W3-1 Super Sean!

16/10/94 v Bolton D2-2 two nil down but a great second half

8/4/95 v Port Vale W3-1 Bogey temporarily laid to rest!

1/3/97 v QPR W1-0 Great result from a poor side. Great day out!

13/3/99 v City W2-1 Superb Day

7/1/00 v Wigan W1-0 A blur but fantastic night out!

6/9/00 v Huddersfield W2-0 WE WANT BRUCE OUT!

10/2/01 v Wrexham W5-1 Carlo on fire and missed a pen!

8/12/01 v Hull City W3-2 Great day out, raining coins at full time and two in a minute from Dux and Eyresey and a great free-kick from Shez.

6/11/02 v West Ham W1-0 Pogs super show, great following !

9/11/02 v Plymouth D2-2 Two down after 7 minutes clawed our way back, great weekend!

9/8/03 v Brighton L1-3 we had made the start of the season

16/8/03 v Sheff Wed D2-2 fabtastic scenes after Antoine Curier bagged the equaliser!

30/8/03 v Rushden W3-2 O'Halloran's late winner, the ground shook!

20/12/03 v QPR W2-1 Johnny Eyre's winner and Pigs cwelebration! Up yours Dowie!

26/12/03 Grimsby D3-3 Total Football!

8/2/04 v Grimsby W6-0 A fantastic way to celebrate the rebirth of the, yet all the organisational skills of not being able to hold a pissup in a brewery!

24/4/04 v Swindon W2-1 We'd done it, against all the odsds we were safe!

8/1/05 v City W1-0 MASSIVE!

25/11/06 v Hudds W3-0 What a great way to lay to rest the ghosts of being 2-0 up a year earlier!

1/1/07 v Forest W5-0, thats for 1990 yer slaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggggsssssssss!

6/1/07 v Wolves D2-2 The Yard Dogs were back, shame Chris Hall is a luvvy Tart!

13/1/07 v Scunny D1-1 just when you thought it wouldn;'t come, enter the new SuperMac!

3/2/07 v Tranmere W1-0 A blur, in the sponsors suite hic!

10/2/07 v Swansea W1-0 Scenes of elation, jubilation, multiple orgasms on the way home will stay with me for a long time. The guard was a hotty too!

28/4/07 v Brighton W2-1 Great Weekend

11/8/07 v Swansea W2-1 stunned as Davies bagged an undeserved winner!

Probbaly loads more..................but those are some of my 'Special Memories' really gets you up for the game and reminds everyone why we make the effort and why the 11th December is so important!

Ok Favourite Games,...............but those are some of my 'Special Memories' really gets you up for the game and reminds everyone why we make the effort and why the 11th December is so important!

Think you missed derby away quality away day as well.

not my best memory but one of my first was city away, think its was a night match , either that a late in the year, 2-1 tommy wright double, and sir jimmy calling the blues yardogs on gmr after the game.

we sure made the most of that :grin:

19/12/1987 W2-1 at City, Tommy Wright Scored both (although one was widely credited as an o.g. by City Keeper Perry Suckling as Wright's header hit the underside of the bar and hit Suckling before going in! Jimmy Frizzell, Mel Machin's assistant after the game labelled us "A talentless team of Yardogs Snappng at player heels!"

City in the Cup was mine, though again it's been years of nothing doom since I've been following us! My first game was when we beat QPR 4-1 the year we came down from the Premiership.

Another great memory up there was Eyresy's last minute winner at Stockport and his free kick to put us 1-0 up against QPR in the playoffs. At those moments I was 100% convinced we were going up...

Another great memory up there was Eyresy's last minute winner at Stockport

That was a great one, as was Scunny away last year. I loved the FA Cup replay away at Brentford in 98, as I've said before the look on my Bees mate's face as Shez scuffed the worst pen in history into the net could have curdled piss. I still think my favourite Latics moment was going to the Legends game in 2004 though. Dunno if it counts, but it was the moment that hope returned to me.

What about Roger's Hat-Trick at Maine Road in 88?

I can't believe no one has mentioned that one!

Other favourites are Wembley, Ipswich promotion, Southampton away in the cup and Ricky Holdens overhead kick at Newcastle.

The Milligan chip for the other goal was pretty special too. Another great moment I've just thought of........................................ The protest march. As good a display of commeraderie as any away day!

:bluearmy:

may 1974 tics 6 - 0 huddersfield the day promotion was won & the first time my dad let me "invade " the pitch lol

december 1974 tics 1(2)- scum 0 we all know its 2 realy thanks to the goal that never was !

the FA cup run of 1977 plymouth at bp and mauriiiiiiice witha scraeming freekick nothwitch vics at main RD grovesy in his pomp then on to anfield matching the best for long periods heady days !

1980 goin on the "latics liner" to filbert street " wheres your hat trick alan young " 1- 0 thanks to big jim steele (where is he now )

the first play off season dint think the heart break would ever end feckin keith edwards grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

the pinch me season just brilliant what can you say after all those years

portman road ipswitch 1991 we had done it we were in the top division only disapointment where were all the citeah manure and thugby fans eating there hats on the town hall steps lol

to be continued