Craig Davies

This guy has got bags and bags of potential he is footballing brilliance with the ball and has all the aspects pace, dribbling, ability to beat a man and find the net, but does anyone think the reason he is still stuck with oldham is the fact he is thick. Many times he makes the wrong decision and tends to fluff stuff. He doesnt anticipate anything. I really think tha if he had a bit of nouse he wouldnt be anywhere near oldham, hed be the next Thierry Henry.

On another note anyone see Soccer AM 3rd Eyes CRAIGGGGGGGGGG DAVIESSSSSSSSSSSS

I dont think he's particularly thick - neither do i think he lacks awareness. He just never looks up when he's got the ball. He knows where goal is and thats the only thing on his mind. The staff need tgo get him to look up and be more aware of his surroundings. The only thing that bothers me about davies is that at times, he stays TOO wide for too long periods.....

there ends my first owtb post

I know everybody is entitled to their twopenneth, but why is everybody picking holes in a good team performance against a good team in difficult conditions? As I've said on another thread Sullivan lived all 9 lives at once today, either that or it was a team of the week performance by the jock tosser. Yes we are struggling to kill teams of at home, but I'd much prefer that than scraping draws from the jaws of defeat as they did today. Donny put us under pressure at times but IMO thay deserved nowt from the game. Get behind the lads, not on top of 'em.

Many times he makes the wrong decision and tends to fluff stuff. He doesnt anticipate anything. I really think tha if he had a bit of nouse he wouldnt be anywhere near oldham, hed be the next Thierry Henry.

Clearly this is all hugely exagerated. Davies is just a talented young player, who needs to be taught to pass when that's his best option, rather than going for glory.

And he'll never be Thierry Henry!

I believe that there is always a place for constuctive critism. The thing with Davies is that we will get 20 goals easily but how many assists will he get?

He is slow to think and he needs pass the ball and pass the ball earlier more often If this is pointed out to him and he can take it on board, we will be promoted, he will get a £1m + move to the prem and everyone is happy.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

I believe that there is always a place for constuctive critism. The thing with Davies is that we will get 20 goals easily but how many assists will he get?

He is slow to think and he needs pass the ball and pass the ball earlier more often If this is pointed out to him and he can take it on board, we will be promoted, he will get a £1m + move to the prem and everyone is happy.

go to chapel road and tell him that then.im sure he will appreciate it.

can we not just be pleased that we didnt lose and got a draw,yes we could of won 5 or 6,but we didnt.end of.

just get behind the team instead of nit picking like a bunch of cackling fish wifes.

our fans really do suprise me sometimes.

Davies is a decent player who sometimes makes the wrong decisions - he should have had two or three today but then so should Hughes and if only McDonald...

We are playing some good stuff and hopefully the goals will come - Doncaster are a good side and another that we should have beaten - as soon as we turn the draws into wins we will move up the table

Edited by TheBigDog

Davies is a decent player who sometimes makes the wrong decisions - he should have had two or three today but then so should Hughes and if only McDonald...

We are playing some good stuff and hopefully the goals will come - Doncaster are a good side and another that we should have beaten - as soon as we turn the draws into wins we will move up the table

i notice that he fouls a lot. he is always the top foul tackler when the stats come out on our team.also he has lost his marker a couple of times when we have conceded goals.

It was mcdonalds excellent reverise pass that set up the goal.

Edited by laticsmad

I'm tired of people saying that if you criticise the latics you are not "Getting behind the team". If you do not challenge or ask questions then nothing changes (Just take a look at the planning application appeal for an example). The reason I for one have criticised Davies this season is that I want our team to beat teams like Doncaster, Huddersfield etc etc. He has to learn. If you do not point out his failings he will never change them. He has in fact improved slightly over the past couple of weeks, He is looking up more and did actually pass the ball in to feet on a couple of occasions yesterday. I would be more than happy to go along to Chapel Road and have a discussion with him about his obvious ability and his habit of only seeking the glory. I support Latics with a fervour and even at 50 years still get excited on Saturday before during and after seeing my team. But thats just it.... Its a bloody team game...... Davies needs to learn that.

Edited by happyterryb

go to chapel road and tell him that then.im sure he will appreciate it.

can we not just be pleased that we didnt lose and got a draw,yes we could of won 5 or 6,but we didnt.end of.

just get behind the team instead of nit picking like a bunch of cackling fish wifes.

our fans really do suprise me sometimes.

Bit strong. Take off your rose tinted glasses and face it. How many time did Hughes wave his arms in frustration yesterday after Davies had painted himself into a corner. I'll tell you.... At least five... That penalty shoud have been totally immaterial because we could and should have been 5-2 up at the time. Hughes is the kind of player Davies should be learning from but he isn't endearing himself to Hughes by not setting him up when he has the chance, oh and I'm never happy with just a draw when we dominate teams like we did today...

I think dominated is a bit strong, but over the whole game we had more chances to win it (as you'd expect from the home side).

I think the weather had a bigger impact than people may think. It was at the back of the team attacking the RRE - and I think that team 'won' each half.

Coming out of the NSM yesterday a man , late 50s /60s said loudly, "Davies was terrible today" to his wife. I laid into him I'm afraid I was just so sick of criticism of someone who sometiimes makes the wrong decisions but has talent, guts, energy and potential He had absolutely roasted his marker created opportunities - and , yes, was to greedy at times. But " terrible" - absolutely bo**ocks. Why do people see a glass that isn't even wet?

:laught16:

As I said to my mate yesterday, you have to live with the 89 minutes of Jermaine Johnson for the one minute glimpse of Thierry Henry.

Actually, I thought he had a fairly poor game - certainly a frustrating one. But he's scored 10 goals before Christmas so he'll do for me.

Have to say - to my horror, JJ was exactly who sprung to mind with Davies performance yesterday! :shock:

Right - lets put this in context, Davies is doing a cracking job for us, 10 goals is great, he has so much potential, and this kid should make us a tidy profit or get us promoted......

... but none of that changes the frustration at watching him yesterday, good god.... If he would have just got his head up we would have had at leat 3 more clear cut chances..... this is a fact... he is such a rough diamond, its the ironic thing that he could get us promoted pretty much on his own - however he needs to use his ability to feed some other players in, and not just have pot shots himself...

... I hope Shez can get this through to him ASAP... as with him passing the ball and Hughesy finding his shooting boots we will batter everyone in this division.... however I think it may be next season until we see these two at their rampant best....

There's two key areas that let Davies down for me.

First one, as mentioned several times in this thread, is vision. Looking for the options - and then knowing which one to take. But that doesn't worry me too much because it's something that comes with experience, and I honestly think he will learn and improve - especially playing alongside the likes of Hughes.

Second one is more fundamental. His first touch is dreadful. I think this is the biggest reason he isn't playing at a higher level. And it's harder to improve but again good application and practice on the training pitch can help.

I don't say this to have a go at him, just to point out where he can get better. As he is he's a genuinely dangerous player at this level and a definite asset to us. Yes there are games where he will be frustrating, but he terrorises defences and he's scored three times as many goals as anyone else. You cannot underestimate the power of straightforward, simple pace at this level.

I think he will improve, but hopefully not TOO quickly - if he's destined to play higher up it'd be nice if it's with us!

There's two key areas that let Davies down for me.

First one, as mentioned several times in this thread, is vision. .....

I think he will improve, but hopefully not TOO quickly - if he's destined to play higher up it'd be nice if it's with us!

Totally agree.... however its the two year contract thing that worries me again... just think he will turn the heads of enough bigger team this season for someone to put a reasonable bid in for him at the end of the season - 250-500k.... we will sell, and then next season he will turn into a worldbeater... oh well... suppose its the way the cookie crumbles at this level!

I work for a career coaching and Training company - and in everything we do we never criticise, we use 2 core phrases - WWW (what worked well) and EBI (even better if..)... think these phrases work perfectly for Davies..

WWW - great dribbler, 10 goals, Pace, looks brilliant at times...

EBI - concentrate for a whole game, dont be so obsessed with scoring, pass the ball occasionally - and then instead of praing him for 50% of the games where he scores - we will praise him in the other 50% when he sets up some sitters for other players - and then he will get the big money move (or us promoted!)

What a load of rubbish in this thread. Davies is our top scorer and if it wasn't for him and his goals we would be bottom of the league.

Strikers have a right to be greedy - in fact I would be more concerned if he was passing too much. If he had "got his head up" and "passed earlier" 10 times this season he could be on 0 goals. He is a striker and is joint third in the goal scoring charts.

We need to calm down here and stop talking :censored:

What a load of rubbish in this thread. Davies is our top scorer and if it wasn't for him and his goals we would be bottom of the league.

Strikers have a right to be greedy - in fact I would be more concerned if he was passing too much. If he had "got his head up" and "passed earlier" 10 times this season he could be on 0 goals. He is a striker and is joint third in the goal scoring charts.

We need to calm down here and stop talking :censored:

:blink:

Did you not read the last few posts mate - we are not having a go at what he is doing - its just a comment on what he could be doing better - that is not rubbish, he has so much room for improvement, and we all would like to see that happen sooner rather than later - but we will wait, cos when he learns to pass at the right moment he will be a truly scary player - at this level anyway....

Looking at the stats of 10 goals is not focussing on what this thread is about - brilliant stuff davies - but he still would have had 10 goals, and as a team we would have 10 goals more if he would have passed in the situations where players were free and screaming for the ball...

... he will get there.... but its bloomin frustrating sometimes! You cant tell me that at about 3 occasions yesterday you werent holding your hed in frustration with him???

Earlier in the season Sheridan went public that he's told Davies to shot more. He wanted him to be more an out and out goal scorer. However Davies needs to get his head up more often and become a more all round player, his goals to date (amount) is fine. Now he needs to learn when to be greedy and when to be a team player and front two pairing player. At the moment Hughes and Davies aren't a true partnership up front in the sense of the term. You can't coach his pace (only slightly but the raw pace must be there to start with) but you can coach ball control and awareness. It's all about balance in a football side and we are slowly getting there, without doubt Davies has got the potential and to date Sheridan as got more out of him than Wolves and Verona did.