Were you there?

Yes! I am proud to say I was at all the games. At Everton I sat in the away end very very high up in the main stand with some friends who supported Everton. I could hardly see the players as I had smaller eyes when I was a smaller person ^_^

I remember playing on the artificial pitch not too long after that game and trying to re-enact the Palmer goal in front of the then open Rocky Road end. I nearly killed myself as the stand-in Southall collapsed on top of me. Great game, great times!

Yes! I am proud to say I was at all the games. At Everton I sat in the away end very very high up in the main stand with some friends who supported Everton. I could hardly see the players as I had smaller eyes when I was a smaller person ^_^

I remember playing on the artificial pitch not too long after that game and trying to re-enact the Palmer goal in front of the then open Rocky Road end. I nearly killed myself as the stand-in Southall collapsed on top of me. Great game, great times!

i am also proud to say i was there, the thing that stands out for me is the fact after 2 very hard fought tight games and another tough 90 mins, when marshy scored the pen at the start of extra time, we then battered them for the rest of extra time and could have scored 6, great days.

and after seeing rogers goal again over the years the question is was it a foul?

the answer is, as it was then............. i hope so B)

i am also proud to say i was there, the thing that stands out for me is the fact after 2 very hard fought tight games and another tough 90 mins, when marshy scored the pen at the start of extra time, we then battered them for the rest of extra time and could have scored 6, great days.

and after seeing rogers goal again over the years the question is was it a foul?

the answer is, as it was then............. i hope so B)

aye i was there all right,those were truly remarkable days,and yes it was like living a dream,watching all the supposedly big teams coming to little oldham and getting put through the mill,hahahahah.

was in the chaddy end as always.

the plastic pitch was great,i had had trials on it 2 years earlier in fron of big joe just before i snapped me cruciate ligaments....

definately

was....at every game there in the league cup that year....great days

Yep was at all 3 games, great times! Is it me or does Hallworth look like he's going to kiss Jim Leighton?? And still noone knows where Roger Palmer is. Does the rumour of him owning a chippy in Bacup still circulate? I also believe that Marshy, now living in Canada, wrestles bears!! and wins 9 times out of 10.

Remember the pic very well. I had a clearer copy on the wall behind my desk for a few years - only because that's me behind Southalls right boot.

Never missed a game home or away for six seasons back then - what memories!

Edited by outoftheblue

I was there, well sort of, i wasn't allowed to go :-(, but i said i was off out to play some football, went straight to the ground waited at the exit gate next latique until it opened 5 mins before the end then went on the pitch with everyone else, mum watched grananda reports and spotted me on the pitch, and gave me a good hiding!!!! was worth it though!

I was there, well sort of, i wasn't allowed to go :-(, but i said i was off out to play some football, went straight to the ground waited at the exit gate next latique until it opened 5 mins before the end then went on the pitch with everyone else, mum watched grananda reports and spotted me on the pitch, and gave me a good hiding!!!! was worth it though!

I went to the first game (as I only saw my dad once a fortnight, I only went to 9 games that season and only started to go on my own at the start of the Championship season after I got my paper round!) the 2-2 draw, me and my brother clinging to the old Chaddy End fence to get a decent view in a packed ground. Everton scored two in two first half minutes, we should have had a pen and Ian Marshall dubiously had a goal disallowed, then we came out second-half upped the ante, got a dodgy pen then a fantastic header from the dodger secured the replay. Remember listening to the 1st replay and it sounded like we played them off the park and only an iffy pen late in extra-time saved them. As for the second replay I remember it being called off due to wind damage at BP, then when it was played it took place on 1/4 final day, again we fell behind but the Dodger soon equalised and then an extra-time penalty from Ian Marshall saw us into the 1/4's. Couldn't wait to go for a 'Pink Final' that night! Happy Days as it really was a treat to go to games in back then, as I say I only got to go pretty much week in week out from the Championship season onwards, now it is 2nd nature and a little of that magic of going to Boundary Park of the mid-late 80s (i'm not talking of the glory nights, more yer 4-1 home defeats to Derby and Chelsea or a late winner vs Plymouth to secure the first win of the season, or a late dodger brace to clinch a draw vs Swindon etc...) is no longer there. Although I was gutted to miss the Leeds game and many other aways this season, having been there and done it all over the years it doesn't rankle as much as it would have done say 15 years ago.However I was still charging round the house like a lunatic when the goals came through on NYD!!!! My last away game was Donny in the JPT and i'm beginning to think I'm better off at home! Although I'll be there at Goodison and maybe 3 or 4 other aways before the end of the season, funds permitting.

Edited by oafcprozac

Yep. I was there for all three. They were in the days when I had the freedom and the funds to lavish on my first love. (Latics of course). My first child was born later in the year and things have never been quite the same since. (For Latics and for me).

What a team though.

Was there as well. Might dig out the video of the 'pinch me' season before Saturday to relive the memories that little bit more.

After falling 0-2 down in the first leg, and getting back to 2-2, I remember being glad we had retianed out unbeaten home record (eventually snatched off us by a neon Sheff Utd) and had little expectation for the replay.

I loved the fact that you just carried on having replays - not the same these days.

Went on to thump Villa 3-0 in the QFs before eventually coming up against the reds. Despite the eventual loss in the semi-fianl replay - some of the games that season were immense.

I was there for all three and the league cup game at Goodison in 1988 when Denis scored a rocket from memory.

Denis Irwin put us 1-0 up in a Littlewoods Cup 4th round tie in November 1987, before we succumbed 2-1 to a late winner from a certain Neil Adams.

We did indeed play them in the LIttlewoods Cup Third Round in 1988, with Andy Ritchie bagging an unlikely equaliser, we lost the replay 2-0 after dominating for 85 minutes before the most expensive player in English football at the time (Tony Cottee) bagged two late goals and even saw Rhodesy sabe a pen at 1-0!

Was there as well. Might dig out the video of the 'pinch me' season before Saturday to relive the memories that little bit more.

After falling 0-2 down in the first leg, and getting back to 2-2, I remember being glad we had retianed out unbeaten home record (eventually snatched off us by a neon Sheff Utd) and had little expectation for the replay.

I loved the fact that you just carried on having replays - not the same these days.

Went on to thump Villa 3-0 in the QFs before eventually coming up against the reds. Despite the eventual loss in the semi-fianl replay - some of the games that season were immense.

From January 1989-September 1991 we lost only 3 Games at home. (vs Man City 14/1/89 0-1 a certain Gary Megson bagged the winner on his debut for them, Sheff Utd 28/3/90 L0-2 & Hull City L1-2 19/3/91. We also went 7 years unbeaten at home in cup-ties from November 1988-October 1995

I was there.

Before the Goodison game I was talking to a steward, who described Marshall as a donkey! After the game, and Marshall's equaliser, I called the steward over and explained to a group of Latics' fans behind the goal what he had called Marshall. Needless to say the fans pointed out the error of his judgement!

On the way home the car was playing up with a faulty alternator, and I drove on the by-pass between Stoke and Uttoxeter without any lights to conserve the battery.

Needless to say it was a case of deja vu attempting to get to Leeds on Tuesday. :angry:

I was at all of them :) the first one at Goodison Park was my most memorable ... for all the wrong reasons !!! I spewed up on the coach over a man zaffectionally know as Captain Caveman :((sorry mate) and continued to spew throughout the first half ..... memories huh. The illness was not through to much beer either before I get sarcy comments ... I didnt touch a drop

I was at all of them :) the first one at Goodison Park was my most memorable ... for all the wrong reasons !!! I spewed up on the coach over a man affectionally know as Captain Caveman :((sorry mate) and continued to spew throughout the first half ..... memories huh. The illness was not through to much beer either before I get sarcy comments ... I didnt touch a drop

The away game has a strange memory for me too. We were driving to Liverpool, me happily munching away on my bombay mix in the passenger seat, when I spied on the side of the road a dog that had been run over. Sadly it was dead as a car had run solely over its head.

Needless to say the brains spewed out over the road quickly stopped me eating my bombay mix.

I was there.

Before the Goodison game I was talking to a steward, who described Marshall as a donkey! After the game, and Marshall's equaliser, I called the steward over and explained to a group of Latics' fans behind the goal what he had called Marshall. Needless to say the fans pointed out the error of his judgement!

On the way home the car was playing up with a faulty alternator, and I drove on the by-pass between Stoke and Uttoxeter without any lights to conserve the battery.

Needless to say it was a case of deja vu attempting to get to Leeds on Tuesday. :angry:

MArshall put us in the lead Diego, we should have finished the tie that night, but for a very generous pen in the last few minutes of ET, up stepped Kevin Sheedy and as usual buried it. Vice-Chariman David Brierley won the toss after the game to take the tie back to BP for the 2nd Replay.