What was the line up for your first ever Latics match?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1988 against Seattle Storm/Sounders (I always thought it was Sounders but Google sez otherwise). I think this was my first game anyway. No idea about line up.

I also vaguely remember us playing Banik Ostrava.

v Seattle, 3 Aug 1988, 3-0, Milligan, Donachie, Bunn

Rhodes

Irwin

Barrett

Flynn

Marshall

Milligan

Palmer

Donachie

Bunn

Wright

Philiskirk

subs;

Kelly

Cecere

The Banik Ostrava match was a couple of years later, Aug 11 1990. Won 3-1, Moulden, Schmuker og, Redfearn

Keeley

Redfearn

Warhurst

Henry

Barrett

A.Holden

Adams

Donachie

Moulden

Palmer

R.Holden

subs;

Makin

Blundell

v Seattle, 3 Aug 1988, 3-0, Milligan, Donachie, Bunn

Rhodes

Irwin

Barrett

Flynn

Marshall

Milligan

Palmer

Donachie

Bunn

Wright

Philiskirk

subs;

Kelly

Cecere

The Banik Ostrava match was a couple of years later, Aug 11 1990. Won 3-1, Moulden, Schmuker og, Redfearn

Keeley

Redfearn

Warhurst

Henry

Barrett

A.Holden

Adams

Donachie

Moulden

Palmer

R.Holden

subs;

Makin

Blundell

We played dynamo Tbilisi in 1989 won 4-0 bovid kit debuted

Ha - Tblisi was the 4-0 game. These Eastern Europeans all looked the same to me

1988 against Seattle Storm/Sounders (I always thought it was Sounders but Google sez otherwise). I think this was my first game anyway. No idea about line up.

I also vaguely remember us playing Banik Ostrava.

That game was mentioned in a Glossop programme that was among a load of old non-league programmes of my dad's that my mum inexplicably tried to throw out last year.

Small world.

Well, weird world.

oafcseattle_zpsd7a488a3.jpg

Goram

Sinclair

Ryan

Keegan

Clements

Futcher

Mcdonough

Atkinson

Heaton

Wylde

Palmer

Vs newcastle 9 oct 1982

Drew 2-2 heaton and wylde scorers

Kevin keegan and terry mcdermott played for newcastle and i think imre varadi scored 2.

I remember there were away fans everywhere - i was in the main stand paddock and they were scaling the fences

that was my first year as a season ticket holder, dont think any team ive seen since was as good as that.

First game was against Scunthorpe on boxing day 1999, cant remember the lineup but i think we drew 1-1.

Yeah, I think I vaguely remember that match. For some reason I can recall that Guy Ipoua (?)- a handy French striker - scored for Scunny. Can't for the life of me remember who scored for Latics. Maybe an OG?

The Latics team was

Gerard

Makin

Pointon

Henry

Jobson

Redmond

Halle

Graham

McCarthy

Ritchie

Brennan

Banger came on as sub for Ritchie

It was the last match in a nine ( league and league cup) game run of not winning, the next week we beat Bristol City 2-0 - the first game for my three year old son :-)

Yeah, I remember that match... watching us lose and getting that sinking feeling that there was no chance we were going to be going straight back up to the Prem that season. Little did we know what the next 20 years would bring! When you look at that team it is still pretty handy (Nicky Banger apart!). A couple of them still had a few years left at a decent level.

Edited by perfectOzblue

I think I went to a friendly or two beforehand, but my first proper first team game was the league cup 2nd round first leg game against Sheffield Wednesday.

Team according to soccerbase.com was:

G Kelly

P Jones

C Lightfoot

S McNiven

A Holt

M Innes

D Boshell

L Duxbury

C Corazzin

M Tipton

C Dudley

I remember nothing about the game apart from a Wednesday player smashing into the gate at the bottom of the Chaddy.

From memory we gave Wednesday a decent match but they beat us 3-1....think that big Belgian/Dutch striker Gerald Sibon(?) eventually ripped us apart. Then they smashed us 5-1 in the second leg. We've never done great at Hillsborough.

Mmmm, need help here. I think my first game was against Gateshead in a cup match at BP, it was played mid-week, no floodlights in those days. I could be wrong but I think it was 1958 ? unless of course someone knows different. :help:

Well, this is a challenge :-)

Never played Gateshead in the FA Cup since the last war....and it seems that of our home league matches against them in the 1950s the only non Saturday games were 1951/2, 52/3.

1959/60 we had a midweek replay v Shildon, 17 Nov. possibly that?

Here are a couple of images for the programme for the Shildon match

http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/PJBerry7038/media/imagejpg1_zpsa573b350.jpg.html

Edited by LaticsPete

Thanks Pete, Well it couldn't have been 51/2 52/3 as I would have only been 3 or 4 years old, and although i am an old dodderer, I can remember that I went to the game on my own, I cant even remember the circumstances of me going to the game mid-week, as I never pegged off school. So maybe I was recovering from being ill, or had a dentist appointment or whatever. I do remember being aged about 10 so your suggestion that it could have been Shildon would have put me at 11 years old which is more than likely right. Anyway I must have been impressed as I have been going ever since, even though we now live many miles from Oldham. And anyhow I was almost right as Shildon and Gateshead are virtually next door to each other. Thanks for your efforts Pete . :imnotworthy:

Well, this is a challenge :-)

Never played Gateshead in the FA Cup since the last war....and it seems that of our home league matches against them in the 1950s the only non Saturday games were 1951/2, 52/3.

1959/60 we had a midweek replay v Shildon, 17 Nov. possibly that?

Here are a couple of images for the programme for the Shildon match

http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/PJBerry7038/media/imagejpg1_zpsa573b350.jpg.html

I have a feeling the Shildon v Latics match highlights were shown on Pathe News, I think I watched it in one of the Union Street cinemas, I can't remember the main feature and B films though (there's a challenge for you Pete).

Incidentally, Shildon play Stalybridge Celtic in the FA Cup on Set 27th, what's the odds on a replay?

Some other 1959 nostalgia, played on a lovely pitch;;

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/fa-cup-3rd-round-tooting-mitcham-v-notts-forest

Edited by BP1960

From memory we gave Wednesday a decent match but they beat us 3-1....think that big Belgian/Dutch striker Gerald Sibon(?) eventually ripped us apart. Then they smashed us 5-1 in the second leg. We've never done great at Hillsborough.

Sibon only played about 50 minutes in total over the 2 legs. Barely got above walking pace and ripped us a new one, in both legs, having a hand in a lot of their 8 goals.