Read the riot act

Absolutely dismal today. Swindon came here on the back of a bad midweek home defeat and 3 successive losses, they travelled hundreds of miles to BP while Latics had the luxury of a full weeks rest - supposedly working on tactics to win the game.

Time for SR to read the riot act with this complacent lot. I didn't see much of his much vaunted work ethic today as our players stood watching Swindon run rings round us.

He and his coach must also address the negative home tactics, one goal at home is pathetic and they need have a good look of what the fans want to see or crowds will dwindle to less than 3,000 with the blame entirely on their shoulders.

The honeymoon period is over, time to lay it on the line Mr Robinson.

Edited by BP1960

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What dissapointed me today most was the lack of any intensity to atleast stop them playing. For the first goal Swindon have passed the ball through us at ease someone or in fact several players should have got closer to them. We should have been pressing the ball far better and it requires every single player to do it. We all know Swindon play the ball out from the back yet on too many occasions today they were able to get up to half way without a single tackle going in. If we are going to be a "hard to beat" team then at least we shouldnt be allowing the sweeper the chance to glide out from the back unchallenged someone should have smashed Thompson the number 2 yet time and time and time and again he was allowed to bring the ball out and dictate the game.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Reading the 'riot act' to grown men has always seen a bizarre concept .

Why should an adult require shouting at to do his job .

If it does work , it will likely be of very short term benefit and won't work the next time ,which will be probably be within a few games.

We have no money and pick up with players on short term deals picked up at the last moment ......there is a reason many of them are available .

If it does work , it will likely be of very short term benefit and won't work the next time ,which will be probably be within a few games.

We have no money and pick up with players on short term deals picked up at the last moment ......there is a reason many of them are available .

Short term benefit well yes in this instance it's needed we've got a game on Tuesday and we need a response. The riot act does need to be read and I hope it was

I bet the Swindon manager read his players the riot act on Tuesday after they were were booed off the pitch.

Edited by BP1960

I'd like to think everyone is called into training tomorrow morning aswell we need to prepare for Tuesday and concentrating on 2 main areas passing and pressing.

But then it will be said they were tired if beaten by Charlton on Tuesday.

I can never get my head around the fact that professional footballers need to be read the riot act, need to have an arm around them or need a kick up the arse.

They want to be a footballer from a very early age, show talent that allows them to be elevated above their peers to a level where a club pays them to play football. That's what they've dedicated their life to - to be footballers.

Take that footballer and they prefer a position that suits their play, their strengths and again leads to a club signing them and paying them to be a goalkeeper, defender, midfielder or striker.

Do I go to work and need someone to read me the riot act? After intensive training for my job, do I need someone to tell me what to do to do my job?

For us to sign this recent crop of strikers and only one of them to score just the one goal in over 720 minutes in League One football this season is disgusting.

A strikers job is to score goals - you don't need to read the riot act to point out the bleeding obvious. They should be on the training field six days a week, five hours a day on shooting practice. Balls into the box, balls from the wings, crosses, corners, balls over the details line to convert any chance going.

It is time he stopped bragging about the defence,about organisation, about attitude about work ethic and about how well he is doing and starts thinking about a way of playing football. That is about one touch passing , possession in good positions and variety....it certainly is not about the keeper hitting it 80 yards and him shouting "second ball " or hitting long diagonal aerial balls. You and I could defend that and it appears the majority of league one can too....is it 4 goals in 9 games and one of those a fluke own goal

Get the ball down and pass at pace

You can't blame strikers when we have the :censored:test midfield ever seen in League 1, paceless , heartless, clueless, add that to that fact none of them barring Green and Fane at times have any desire and pride in their performance and we truly are :censored:ed, Swindon breezed past Klok and Banks like they where statues and at the end where actually taking the piss out of us on the near touchline. It's hard to see how with the current rules for bringing players in that we can even improve things, I suppose we are reaping what we sowed in the summer and letting Kelly and Dieng go is really hurting us now.

You simply cant always blame the strikers...

Poleons fault, murphys fault, mckays fault, erwins fault....

People have said the same for 5 or 6 years but the sad fact is we have been a side lacking in creativity for too many years. Gibe the strikers a brea! Perhaps they snatch at chances because they know they wont get another for 3 games!

You can probably flip this for defence too.. Perhaps defenders are nervy because one goal conceded and we've almost certainly lost. That pressure must really get to them.

It simply boils down to creativity..

Edited by Fruitygoo

The strikers need some service it's that simple. Coventry apart have we had more than 10 efforts on goal all season in one single match? It's boring for the fans to watch and must be almost impossible for a striker to play in that set up with those terribly negative tactics and systems.

The strikers need some service it's that simple. Coventry apart have we had more than 10 efforts on goal all season in one single match? It's boring for the fans to watch and must be almost impossible for a striker to play in that set up with those terribly negative tactics and systems.

You're right that they need some service but they also need to show a bit of initiative and create a few goals for themselves.

You simply cant always blame the strikers...

Poleons fault, murphys fault, mckays fault, erwins fault....

People have said the same for 5 or 6 years but the sad fact is we have been a side lacking in creativity for too many years. Gibe the strikers a brea! Perhaps they snatch at chances because they know they wont get another for 3 games!

You can probably flip this for defence too.. Perhaps defenders are nervy because one goal conceded and we've almost certainly lost. That pressure must really get to them.

It simply boils down to creativity..

When's the last time we played at home with 2 genuine wingers who could beat a man and cross a ball?