Read the riot act

Guest nonaenever

Most sensible football folk stopped caring about home and away about 10 years ago, keep up.

Ummm.... interesting - there is a direct correlation here around the average home attendances at BP over the past 10 years. Perhaps you have hit on something here?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never been a moaner with Latics. I've always been a 'glass half full' supporter. Anyone who thinks that 4 goals in 9 matches is good enough, then good luck, but I think it's dreadful. Scunthorpe at the top of the league have scored 20, yes 20!!!

Everyone who posts anything on here is entitled to their opinion. I happen to think that we won't score enough goals this season, and we haven't done for the past 4 or 5 seasons. We invest too much of our budget on midfield players who are no better than squad players at best. We should push the boat out and get a decent out and out striker. Someone in the Lee Hughes or Luke Beckett mound, who are only interested in goal scoring!

I've never been a moaner with Latics. I've always been a 'glass half full' supporter. Anyone who thinks that 4 goals in 9 matches is good enough, then good luck, but I think it's dreadful. Scunthorpe at the top of the league have scored 20, yes 20!!!

Everyone who posts anything on here is entitled to their opinion. I happen to think that we won't score enough goals this season, and we haven't done for the past 4 or 5 seasons. We invest too much of our budget on midfield players who are no better than squad players at best. We should push the boat out and get a decent out and out striker. Someone in the Lee Hughes or Luke Beckett mound, who are only interested in goal scoring!

Who only score with service

Robinson deserves time, 9 games is not enough but if we are still struggling by December time then it will be a worry.

I still think we have a good manager and hope we'll come good but the constant reminders he keeps sending out in the media that we are 'skint', a club with no money is not a good sign, I hope he's not looking for excuses already.

I wish I could be at BP on Saturday instead of work to confront Corney because some serious questions need to be asked regarding our finances. If we lose at Charlton tomorrow the Q & A session on Saturday could become very nasty indeed!!

Only used part of my comment. Clever!!!

Relax it was a tongue in cheek comment.

We can all see their is a problem sticking the ball in the net currently but as you should know we've seen it time and time again things can change at this club very quickly. How many times have we looked like really getting it right only for us to either shoot ourselves in the foot or something to come and kick us in the goolies. Yet at the same time things have looked perilously grim and we've managed to pull it out the fire.

We have 37 games and 111 points still to play for. We could suffer 10 more defeats like Saturday and still actually be promoted.

Long way to go yet no need for despondency right now.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Does it? Why?

We've played 9 games. We were doing better than many expected just 3 or 4 games ago.

We were never able to say that under Dunn.

Other managers have started as badly, if not worse, after inheriting a relatively settled squad.

He's done a competent job so far given the circumstances, therefore, logic dictates if he continues to as the players gel and get more familiar with each other and SR's instructions we'll be alright...

Up until Saturday, he was doing a job. Not good, not bad, under the circumstances. Allowing his team to long ball it into a gale for 90 minutes though was not competent in the slightest. It was a huge question mark over his decision making. Including this going to Lee Croft all the time to be our saviour. Robbo ran the rule over him in the summer then gave him a deal. He throws him on when on the bench to change a game...which he does...we look less like scoring!!! Then starts him on Saturday. Fair play that he hauled him off at HT but he still allowed that long ball to happen all game. And fair play that he says the positive is that we won't play that bad again. He will and should be held to that. That was worse on Saturday than the Posh or Scunny home games last season...we at least scored against Posh and for a short spell got back into the game before collapsing. Against Scunny we led before collapsing. Saturday we just collapsed completely, without a question asked and had Ripley to thank for it not being 4 or 5. Worst home game I can remember for a long long time.

I'm not convinced by Robbo at all so far. I have been baffled by the wankfest of playing the Northern Ireland way going into the season. But that isn't a call for his head. Anybody doing so needs to have a word with themselves. New managers will make mistakes. I just worry that giving some of the budget to Croft is a massive one that we won't be able to shake off. Coz we need wingers...mobile ones that can get past a man and deliver a ball. Robbo clearly wanted to be more attacking on Saturday by starting with a winger. The problem is that winger can't play the game at this level any more. As it's going, I reckon his next SOS will go to Carl Winchester as the faith in the rest of the midfield wanes. Not sure if that will be a good thing or bad at present.

Edited by boundaryblue80

If in doubt, blame Croft.

You clearly wasn't there on Saturday.....

3rd season of no end product. Unless you can point plenty of it out...

Thought not. Run along!

PS At least we can stop blaming the chocolate bars for being constantly :censored: these days.

Edited by boundaryblue80

You clearly wasn't there on Saturday.....

3rd season of no end product. Unless you can point plenty of it out...

Thought not. Run along!

PS At least we can stop blaming the chocolate bars for being constantly :censored: these days.

I'd say he's had a pretty positive impact most times I've seen him this season and doubt I'm alone in thinking that.

I'd say he's had a pretty positive impact most times I've seen him this season and doubt I'm alone in thinking that.

Yes. A lot of our fans think running about looking busy but not actually effecting positive play is sufficient. But then wonder why we're :censored: and can't score goals. Erwin is another one who is falling into the same category. We had 1 shot on goal and when Erwin pulled the trigger it seemed as obvious as night following day that it would go right at the keeper. But at least Erwin is young, starting out in his football journey and is suffering from a lack of quality balls to him. Croft on the other hand is a journeyman that's wasted his waning ability and has conned a wage out of OAFC for far too long. No end product. Simple as that.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Yes. A lot of our fans think running about looking busy but not actually effecting positive play is sufficient. But then wonder why we're :censored: and can't score goals. Erwin is another one who is falling into the same category. We had 1 shot on goal and when Erwin pulled the trigger it seemed as obvious as night following day that it would go right at the keeper. But at least Erwin is young, starting out in his football journey and is suffering from a lack of quality balls to him. Croft on the other hand is a journeyman that's wasted his waning ability and has conned a wage out of OAFC for far too long. No end product. Simple as that.

I can think of plenty down the years who have conned a wage out of us, Croft wouldn't be one of them.

The shot by Erwin was deflected straight at the goal keeper otherwise he would have had to make a good save.

Everyone seems to have forgotten that Clarke missed a sitter and if McKay had passed the ball rather than fumbling on, Ladapo should also have scored.

I'm not saying that wasn't the worst performance I have seen in some years. My early assessment was that Robbo had messed around with the midfield again and told the back four and goalkeeper to go long ball. Two mistakes by the manager which allowed the confidence to flow back into the Swindon players. Erwin was doing so much running about that I was surprised he got into position to take that shot. Ladapo I'm afraid just gave up and was no doubt reminded at half time to run a bit faster.

We had five minutes after half time when a recovery looked possible only to give away another soft goal when all hope drained out of the players and supporters.

I suspect the Robbo enthusiasm helped our team to pick up six points in August BUT the Robbo style of play is now dragging the confidence out of our players. Fane was less effective because he was being careful and then got booked for nothing.

On the bright side I don't think we will be last because of the mess Coventry are in.

Guest nonaenever

Robinson deserves time, 9 games is not enough but if we are still struggling by December time then it will be a worry.

I could be accused of splitting hairs here but we've had 12 games (not including pre-season). In the cup games the manager, rightly, tinkered with the side. He learnt a real home truth when we conceded 5 at home against a bottom division club (there was also an excellent win against a Championship side). So the "gelling" which has been the stock remark from many can no longer stand close scrutiny i.e. after a dozen games. Mr Corney has clearly made money available and must be a worried man because, after a reasonably promising start given the circumstances, things started to regress at Bradford. Yes it was a heroic "backs to the wall" display but I said after that game we could not continue to defend like that forever - it really was like the Alamo. Bradford annihilated us in open play and, although a stonewall penalty wasn't given to us, an actual analysis of that game showed how far behind we were in terms of quality. Since then, we've gone backwards. I went to Coventry and didn't agree with the manager's comments that we were excellent second half. We were the better side that 2nd half (atrocious first) but we were playing a Coventry side that was awful - they were there for the taking and we could not take them - mainly down to powder puff shooting (aside from the one that hit the bar).

Robinson also expressed a view that a lot of our goals were going to come from set pieces - another myth. As they are not going to come from set pieces and we have professional footballers who take powder puff shots against awful opposition, where are the goals going to come from?

I genuinely believe, however, that we are capable of goals - Osei was denied a hat trick in just one half against Carlisle, for example, but Robinson's style of play does not feed the forwards. Osei should be played straight down the middle, he's a real handful but we play him out wide. Similar with Erwin - great close control but rarely in dangerous areas (oh - except the time he scored a good goal!). You don't have to have a coaching badge to observe these things, sometimes the coaching staff/manager just have to accept they have it wrong system-wise and change their approach - quickly in our case.

I could be accused of splitting hairs here but we've had 12 games (not including pre-season). In the cup games the manager, rightly, tinkered with the side. He learnt a real home truth when we conceded 5 at home against a bottom division club (there was also an excellent win against a Championship side). So the "gelling" which has been the stock remark from many can no longer stand close scrutiny i.e. after a dozen games. Mr Corney has clearly made money available and must be a worried man because, after a reasonably promising start given the circumstances, things started to regress at Bradford. Yes it was a heroic "backs to the wall" display but I said after that game we could not continue to defend like that forever - it really was like the Alamo. Bradford annihilated us in open play and, although a stonewall penalty wasn't given to us, an actual analysis of that game showed how far behind we were in terms of quality. Since then, we've gone backwards. I went to Coventry and didn't agree with the manager's comments that we were excellent second half. We were the better side that 2nd half (atrocious first) but we were playing a Coventry side that was awful - they were there for the taking and we could not take them - mainly down to powder puff shooting (aside from the one that hit the bar).

Robinson also expressed a view that a lot of our goals were going to come from set pieces - another myth. As they are not going to come from set pieces and we have professional footballers who take powder puff shots against awful opposition, where are the goals going to come from?

I genuinely believe, however, that we are capable of goals - Osei was denied a hat trick in just one half against Carlisle, for example, but Robinson's style of play does not feed the forwards. Osei should be played straight down the middle, he's a real handful but we play him out wide. Similar with Erwin - great close control but rarely in dangerous areas (oh - except the time he scored a good goal!). You don't have to have a coaching badge to observe these things, sometimes the coaching staff/manager just have to accept they have it wrong system-wise and change their approach - quickly in our case.

I agree with a lot of your post.

But haven't most of our league goals come from set pieces?

Up until Saturday, he was doing a job. Not good, not bad, under the circumstances. Allowing his team to long ball it into a gale for 90 minutes though was not competent in the slightest. It was a huge question mark over his decision making. Including this going to Lee Croft all the time to be our saviour. Robbo ran the rule over him in the summer then gave him a deal. He throws him on when on the bench to change a game...which he does...we look less like scoring!!! Then starts him on Saturday. Fair play that he hauled him off at HT but he still allowed that long ball to happen all game. And fair play that he says the positive is that we won't play that bad again. He will and should be held to that. That was worse on Saturday than the Posh or Scunny home games last season...we at least scored against Posh and for a short spell got back into the game before collapsing. Against Scunny we led before collapsing. Saturday we just collapsed completely, without a question asked and had Ripley to thank for it not being 4 or 5. Worst home game I can remember for a long long time.

I'm not convinced by Robbo at all so far. I have been baffled by the wankfest of playing the Northern Ireland way going into the season. But that isn't a call for his head. Anybody doing so needs to have a word with themselves. New managers will make mistakes. I just worry that giving some of the budget to Croft is a massive one that we won't be able to shake off. Coz we need wingers...mobile ones that can get past a man and deliver a ball. Robbo clearly wanted to be more attacking on Saturday by starting with a winger. The problem is that winger can't play the game at this level any more. As it's going, I reckon his next SOS will go to Carl Winchester as the faith in the rest of the midfield wanes. Not sure if that will be a good thing or bad at present.

Hasn't that become more of a defence from certain fans on SR's behalf as it's become more & more apparent he won't be playing free flowing football rather than something people were excited about ahead of the season?

Agree with most of your post but stop worrying - he's got a plan.

Guest nonaenever

It might be most but it's definitely not a lot!

Yes precisely - an own goal at Bury - Erwin's spin and shot against Shrewsbury (from memory) - that leaves possibly 2 from set pieces. Goals have been that scarce, I can't really remember the other 2 ! Oh yes, just come to me Law's excellent free kick against the Shrews too - and Clarke's headed goal from Klok's cross at Bratford