Message from the chairman!

On 4/24/2017 at 3:55 PM, lalalajpkalala said:

Joined in 1986 according to the FourFourTwo article on him last year.

thank you just thinking would it be worth getting him some sort of honour for his services to the club and local football ?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Celebrating five of the English game’s most loyal servants

FourFourTwo
1 Dec 2016

getimage.aspx?regionKey=63E3Ecs%2bWiJIKrSwiHuYNQ%3d%3d  

GORDON LAWTON 62 Oldham Athletic Media manager

AT THE CLUB SINCE 1986

“My job title at the moment is media manager. It’s basically a glorified name for programme editor.

I first arrived 30 years ago to launch a lottery in the commercial department. At the time, club lotteries did not really exist in football, but we managed to build it up to 14,000 members. Shops, old people’s homes, hospitals – everybody got on board with it. I know the on-pitch success came at that sort of time, but to get 14,000 people to stump up a pound every single week, in a place like Oldham, was absolutely phenomenal.

When the National Lottery came into force [in 1994] it sort of killed every football club’s lottery, so I moved on to become the programme editor. But if you work at a football club that’s not Manchester United, you end up mucking in and getting involved with all sorts of jobs. I was booking hotels and looking after team travel while at the same time doing the programme.

I’m a lifelong Rochdale fan, but after 30 years working here, your allegiances start to turn. I go to every match without fail – I do the commentary, that’s why! In 1994 the hospital radio was broadcasting across a 10-mile radius, and one time the commentators couldn’t do it, so they asked if anyone else could. Nobody was going to do it, so I stepped in. From that day to this, I’ve been on virtually every game. ‘The voice of Oldham,’ they call me.

How would I describe my place at the club? Well, just this weekend a fan came up to me, pointed and said, ‘Do you know something? Not all legends kick a ball’, and then walked off. I thought that was quite apt.”

Edited by Ackey
    Formatting