Safe Standing At Britol City

They have plans to install in their newly developed stand, and have a demo installtion at Ashton Gate (not for use.

Too Late to change our plans?! for the new stand?!!

I am sure they will cost a fortune at the moment, and not give us much more capacity, if any.

Something that had not accured, would the horizontal safety bar block your view when you had to sit down?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26141427

Edited by singe

The bar doesn't block your view when sat down. I've seen it and it's fantastic.

Klagenfurt%20man%20sitting2.jpg?height=2

Touché with that pic. However the ones that were on tv the other week (might have been Football Focus, can't remember) had a lower bar and a clearer sat-down view.

Really glad a club is going forward with this.

Well done Brizzle.

Dion Dublin's comments on that video on BBC website are ridiculous and appear entirely ill informed or poorly researched.

I couldn't get my head round what he was trying to say. He seemed to suggest that we won't know they work until nobody dies using them.

Why on earth would anybody sit down there?

The seats are there to appease health and safety. The name 'safe standing' gives a clue as to what the rails are designed to accomodate.

Most of the criticisms I've seen given to safe standing are from misinformed or plain lazy people who haven't bothered to research before sniping. There is literally nothing that can be faulted which is why the only argument is based around the morality of it, which is slightly ridiculous as an argument anyway.

If it can be used in other countries and other sports in our own country it says that football fans are treated as second class citizens or the underclass. Bringing it back is a no brainer.

Pretty sure if the stand is expanded or when the chaddy is redone if it's successful at Bristol could be included or added at a later date

Don't think the new stand can be extended, From the plans it looks like all the seats that can be put in it will be.

Agreed, a block or 2 of these in the Chaddy would be great.

Edited by laticsrblue

99% of the people campaigning against it have not even researched the rail seat, the concept is so simple. Surges are not possible, you have a bar in front of you. Overcrowding is not possible, you have an allocated seat/rail. It will create better atmosphere and more affordable football, it will not be in every part of every ground it'll be your choice. People stand at games anyway so introducing this will make those people safer. What happened at Hillsborough was tragic but we have to move on as a country, we all know that the disaster was not solely down to the terracing. As for a trial, look around Europe. If they can safely use it then why can't we?

Edited by OAFC_Ryan

Why on earth would anybody sit down there?

The seats are there to provide flexibility for the clubs. For example if the Premier League sanctioned the use of rail seats for safe standing areas, but UEFA did not, Premier League clubs competing in Europe would be required to use these areas in their rail seating form rather than standing.

I'm pretty certain that the seats can only be folding up and down with the use of a key, so it would not be the individual spectator's choice.

I would add to this though that surely if the Premier League gave their approval other major leagues and therefore UEFA would follow before long.

The seats are there to provide flexibility for the clubs. For example if the Premier League sanctioned the use of rail seats for safe standing areas, but UEFA did not, Premier League clubs competing in Europe would be required to use these areas in their rail seating form rather than standing.

I'm pretty certain that the seats can only be folding up and down with the use of a key, so it would not be the individual spectator's choice.

I would add to this though that surely if the Premier League gave their approval other major leagues and therefore UEFA would follow before long.

We're the ones in the dark ages here, UEFA and FIFA have approved it already.

When them clowns at FIFA are more advanced than you, you know there's something very wrong.

You make a good point though, they are multi-functional which is an improvement on standing in seating sections. In Schalke they retract standing for international matches.

We're the ones in the dark ages here, UEFA and FIFA have approved it already.

When them clowns at FIFA are more advanced than you, you know there's something very wrong.

You make a good point though, they are multi-functional which is an improvement on standing in seating sections. In Schalke they retract standing for international matches.

UEFA haven't approved for European games though have they? Hence why the German clubs put the seats down for Champions League/Europa League games.

UEFA haven't approved for European games though have they? Hence why the German clubs put the seats down for Champions League/Europa League games.

This says so: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26141427

I'm pretty sure they are allowed standing in the Champions League, there's just a restriction on the number of fans allowed within standing areas.

I can see the need to have a choice for European games but don't think we will be involved in the near future,so why can't we just have the rail part and have just a safe standing area with out the seat part being fitted. I was stood up all match against liverpool at home last season anyway

I think there's a bit of confusion here. The article says:

. They are also approved for use as seats by Uefa and Fifa.

That is grounds that are fitted with rail seats - such as Westfalenstadion - are UEFA approved but only when the seats are locked down, making the ground all-seater.

Edit: Accidental quote.

Edited by LaticsChris

Don't think the new stand can be extended, From the plans it looks like all the seats that can be put in it will be.

Agreed, a block or 2 of these in the Chaddy would be great.

Corney said that the stand can be extended at a later date to cover the full length of the pitch. The reason it doesn't is a cost factor as the existing flood lights would have had to have been removed.

In reality however, unless we make some real progress on the pitch and need to raise the ground capacity in the future, it will never happen.