The January Window

Imagine you are in LJ's boots (or maybe a slightly bigger sized version of his boots) and you had to decide on the players coming and going in the coming month, who would you bring in/ship out?

For outgoings you could say whether you'd want them out for a fee, on loan or for free. For incomings, either a specific player or just a position. Here's my take:

Out

Brown (on loan)

Morgan-Smith (free)

Forte (fee, no less than 6 figures).

In

Striker (1st choice)

Goalkeeper (competition for Rachubka)

We don't actually have that many saleable assets, in my opinion.

Out:

James Wilson (6 figures),

Jabo (will free up a decent wage I'd imagine),

Brown (surplus to requirements, let the lad establish himself at Carlisle),

Mellor (obviously something there but he won't get anywhere near our current midfield),

Controversial but: Dayton (expected him to establish himself this season but it hasn't materialised due to Forte's excellent form from the wing, let go)...

In:

A keeper (Rachubka needs to be pushed),

A centre-half (to replace JW),

A striker (a partner for Philly, if not I'm still fairly hopeful on Poleon doing something with a run of games),

DJ on a permanent (if it's in any way possible, get him signed ASAP).

Edited by Ryan

We don't actually have that many saleable assets, in my opinion.

Out:

James Wilson,

Jabo,

Brown,

Mellor,

Controversial but: Dayton...

In:

A keeper,

A centre-half

A striker,

DJ on a permanent.

I read that list Ryan and realised that I'd forgotten about so many players!

A bit of editing may need doing...

Imagine you are in LJ's boots (or maybe a slightly bigger sized version of his boots) and you had to decide on the players coming and going in the coming month, who would you bring in/ship out?

For outgoings you could say whether you'd want them out for a fee, on loan or for free. For incomings, either a specific player or just a position. Here's my take:

Out

Brown (on loan)

Morgan-Smith (free)

In

Striker (1st choice)

I'm not sure why'd you let Morgan-Smith go, from what I understand he's had injuries and he hasn't looked bad in his brief appearances.

Out

Brown (on loan)

Morgan-Smith (free)

In

Striker (1st choice)

I don't think Forte would pass a medical so I think he's here for the season at least, but.......

Why would you want to sell our top scorer?

In:

Goalkeeper

Striker

Daniel Johnson permanent according to the Chron. That'd be a signing on the level of Baxter from Everton.

Out:

Jabo

Loans for some of the younger and fringe players, who LJ will evaluate in the summer

Out Wildcard of the January window is Forte to Sheffield United.

In Wildcard is Matt Derbyshire or John Akinde

Hopefully Wilson has put himself out of the shop window after his disastrous performances of the past few weeks.

Many won't agree but wouldn't be bothered if we lost Philliskirk.

Certainly happy to let Dayton, Ibhere and Mellor move on too.

New keeper is needed, any from Jake Kean, Lee Nicholls, Alex Cisak

Midfield reinforcements - any 2 from Daniel Johnson, Chris Taylor, Oscar Gobern, Aidan White, David Norris, Richard Chaplow, Giles Coke, Will Hayhurst

Up front - any one from Conor Wilkinson, Joe Pigott, Joe Lolley, Steve Morison, Fabien Brandy, Matt Derbyshire, Liam McAlinden, Chris Porter

Easy peasy

Edited by deyres42

Many won't agree but wouldn't be bothered if we lost Philliskirk.

Certainly happy to let Dayton, Ibhere and Mellor move on too.

New keeper is needed, any from Jake Kean, Lee Nicholls, Alex Cisak

Midfield reinforcements - any 2 from Daniel Johnson, Chris Taylor, Oscar Gobern, Aidan White, David Norris, Richard Chaplow, Giles Coke, Will Hayhurst

Up front - any one from Conor Wilkinson, Joe Pigott, Joe Lolley, Steve Morison, Fabien Brandy, Matt Derbyshire, Liam McAlinden, Chris Porter

Easy peasy

I'm not up with gossip but is there definite interest from Sheff. U. for Forte and Wilson J. or have they been elevated to Huddersfield status whereby a few years ago, any Latics saleable asset was destined to the Galphart?

Before we get anyone else, if we keep Forte on the left, can we bring in a right winger who actually knows the job to provide width and decent, accurate service that gives our forwards, whoever the combination is, a chance???

I'm not up with gossip but is there definite interest from Sheff. U. for Forte and Wilson J. or have they been elevated to Huddersfield status whereby a few years ago, any Latics saleable asset was destined to the Galphart?

Before we get anyone else, if we keep Forte on the left, can we bring in a right winger who actually knows the job to provide width and decent, accurate service that gives our forwards, whoever the combination is, a chance???

But LJ doesn't want to play with wingers.

If Forte had played his season so far the other way around I think someone would have taken a chance on him holding his former and firing another 10 goals in the next few months and take the chance on his. As it is its hard not to think he might have by the best of the season behind him.

Forte a million to sign for Sheff Utd, Clough would get laughed out of town.

Second top scorer in the league. They're short in attack, scored a lovely goal against them and he's a Sheffield lad.

He did have a poor spell there but they seem a bit desperate to me. Not implausible.

I don't think Forte would pass a medical so I think he's here for the season at least, but.......

Why would you want to sell our top scorer?

I certainly wouldn't be desperate for him to go, but for £100k+ I would be satisfied that we got a good deal. I'm not convinced that he's going to be as prolific in the 2nd half of the season. I'd love to be proven wrong of course.

I feel that to bring a striker in we'll need to let go of one of the current bunch. Morgan-Smith would be the player that we could get rid of that would have the least impact.

Of the other players mentioned, I'd have no problem with seeing Mellor go elsewhere. He might go on to have a good career but he's not done enough to stay here. I'd keep Dayton until the end of the season as despite his inability to put together a regular run of good form, he has the ability to win games with a moment of magic from the bench which could prove useful. Doesn't seem as though Tidser has done enough in his few appearances, nor Ibehre although if his wage demands aren't too high I could see him being a useful option for certain games. Goals aren't key to him being useful as he's a good foil for other forwards.

If Daniel Johnson wants to sign permanently then add him to the squad. On the other hand, if James Wilson does want out then we should sell for as high as possible, otherwise I'd definitely keep him. Poleon needs time and a run of games to prove himself, but he hasn't progressed by the end of the season we should consider cutting our losses.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

I certainly wouldn't be desperate for him to go, but for £100k+ I would be satisfied that we got a good deal. I'm not convinced that he's going to be as prolific in the 2nd half of the season. I'd love to be proven wrong of course

You can't let the leagues second top scorer go for a tiny fee on the back of a hunch. Forte's more valuable to us than he is on the market, therefore he shouldn't be sold. Without him we'd probably have 15 less points at least.

We might as well concede we have no ambition to get out of this league if we sell him. I think a lot of fans would give up turning up to games if we did.