• Smalley
    • Hughes
    • Davies

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i went for eardley, seemed composed, great first touch, read the game well, always available as an outlet/back up plan to retain possession

but... it really could have been anyone, hazell and stam won every ball

crossley was commanding and made good decisions, important early save

lomax was great, composed on the ball and got his head or body in where it mattered without flinching, thinking particularly of his near post header defending a corner

smalley was a good outlet, and the other 3 midfielders battled for everything and played sensibly

the front 2 ran their hearts out and took the pressure off, davies burned jagielka all day, hughes was up for it, they were a pair of pains in the arses all day

we matched them all over the pitch, and we made it an even battle, so proud

My vote goes to Reuben..absolutely immense!! having said that everyone of them stood up..special mentions to Eardley (for forcing Moyes to switch Pienaar) and Smalley (who gave Baines such a roasting he was taken off) ..for 2 of our players to force decisions like that from a top class side is a massive compliment

Definately CROSSLEY,

No sorry i meant EARDLEY,

Ooops that should have read LOMAX,

Wrong again, i meant STAM,

How silly of me, it was HAZZELL,

What am i thinking, obviously GARY MAC,

Then again, should have been KALALA,

I remember now, had to be ALLOTT,

Wrong again, i meant to say SMALLEY

Hold it ive got it, HUGHESEY

Darn it, i nearly forgot deffo DAVIES

Oh bugger, i think ive messed this up.

OK if i go for just one it has to be Beardy's dad for getting me to the most amazing game for many a moon :D

Definately CROSSLEY,

No sorry i meant EARDLEY,

Ooops that should have read LOMAX,

Wrong again, i meant STAM,

How silly of me, it was HAZZELL,

What am i thinking, obviously GARY MAC,

Then again, should have been KALALA,

I remember now, had to be ALLOTT,

Wrong again, i meant to say SMALLEY

Hold it ive got it, HUGHESEY

Darn it, i nearly forgot deffo DAVIES

Oh bugger, i think ive messed this up.

OK if i go for just one it has to be Beardy's dad for getting me to the most amazing game for many a moon :D

And back again....just!!! :drinking66::drinking66::D

I've gone for Hazell but it was a very tough chocie between him and JP.

Isn't it great though that between us we can't pick a standout MOM from the whole squad as the collective performance was outstanding.

Edited by danoafc

Heard you on 606 J, I would have told Alan Green to stop patronising when he started going on about how cold BP is. FFS, we aren't some ickle part timers with the magic of the cup to take the players away from being postmen or butchers.

Haha yeah. I knew that was coming, whenever an Oldham caller gets on there it's the first thing he says. I just wanted to get on because I was a bit tired of hearing two Everton callers bleating about the fact Moyes played a 'weakened' team when we had a half-strength side ourselves. Can you get an download of 606 these days?

Hazell for me too, he was everywhere and won most challenges.

Although I was happy cheering on Hughesy I cant help feel a little sorry for Davies, he did some outstanding work down the flanks once or twice creating a good chance for Hughesy then when the ball went out everyone was chanting Hughesy. Great, gives the guy a lift and all that but if I was Davies Id be thinking ungrateful sods, just won a ball that looked like nothing, made a cracking effort which was fluffed and theyre chanting his name.

He only got a quiet little chant for a few seconds where hardly anyone joined in.

Has to be Stam for me, i thought he was fantastic yesterday, never game up on anything and was 100% commited in every challenge. I also thought Smalley did well, he doesn't seem the most confident of players to me and i was worried that it would get to him but he was fantastic and wasn't afraid to run at them, he's going to be a fantastic player should he carry on progressing. It was a fantastic performance by every single one of them and Allott again had an excellent game in midfield

Hazell for me too, he was everywhere and won most challenges.

Although I was happy cheering on Hughesy I cant help feel a little sorry for Davies, he did some outstanding work down the flanks once or twice creating a good chance for Hughesy then when the ball went out everyone was chanting Hughesy. Great, gives the guy a lift and all that but if I was Davies Id be thinking ungrateful sods, just won a ball that looked like nothing, made a cracking effort which was fluffed and theyre chanting his name.

He only got a quiet little chant for a few seconds where hardly anyone joined in.

That's happened a few times, we probably should remember to cheer the rest of them now and again...

Although I was happy cheering on Hughesy I cant help feel a little sorry for Davies, he did some outstanding work down the flanks once or twice creating a good chance for Hughesy then when the ball went out everyone was chanting Hughesy.

yep, the one that stuck out was when he made an idiot out of jagielka in the corner, turned passed to hughes who crossed the ball, and got chants of hughesy hughesy!

Marhar, thats the main one that stuck out for me too, I looked straight at Davies and he didnt seem too amused by it and took it out on McDonald at the end of the match by pulling his shorts down :lol:

Happened once or twice again throughout the match though (Hughesy being chanted when Davies did all the graft for it - Not pulling McD's shorts down lol)

Hazell for me. Really it's all of them, but we had a drink before and after with an Everton mate (he even bought them afterwards :lol: ) and he picked out Hazell and was amazed when we told him he's not guaranteed a start.

What impresses me most about Hazell is that he has bided his time on the bench, and every single time he has been called upon he slots straight in as if he's played every game, and very, very seldom puts a foot (or head) wrong.

He was on Radio 5 yesterday with Andy Ritchie. Came over really, really well, a proper fan of the game who thoroughly enjoyed his biggest ever match. He's an Arsenal fan, so obviously wants a trip to the Emirates next.

One other mention - something that occurred to me fairly early on in the first half. It may have been partly cos he was often the closest player to us in that half, but I thought of all our players Eardley looked immediately at home. Every time the ball came to him he controlled it and found an orange shirt (or at worst made an effective clearance). Every run down Everton's left, he was there to mop it up. I know Eardley still has his critics, but I think he has grown alot in the game this season, and I think he is starting to show that he is truly at home on the top stage. His first touch especially is first class. No transfer rumours yet, so hopefully he'll be an Oldham player until the summer at least.

Kelvin Lomax for me.

He had been frozen out by Bertrand and loaned out to Rochdale. He stepped up to the plate superbly on Saturday, cleared one off the line and made a great pass cutting 2 of their midfielders out for the goal.

Well, that said, every single Latics player was MOM for me, but I think that Kelvin did particularly well. He is probably one of the players that is on £200 - £300 per week too.

Kelvin Lomax for me.

He had been frozen out by Bertrand and loaned out to Rochdale. He stepped up to the plate superbly on Saturday, cleared one off the line and made a great pass cutting 2 of their midfielders out for the goal.

Well, that said, every single Latics player was MOM for me, but I think that Kelvin did particularly well. He is probably one of the players that is on £200 - £300 per week too.

The most underated player at the club- I went for Kelvin

yep, the one that stuck out was when he made an idiot out of jagielka in the corner, turned passed to hughes who crossed the ball, and got chants of hughesy hughesy!

You can see it clearly on the extended highlights from Tranmere. Davies has just scored a last minute winner and is applauding the fans. All you can hear is "Hughesy, Hughesy". Davies smiles to himself, turns and walks off.

I'm not suggesting it's a big issue to Craig, but if we can remember to give Davies a chant every now and then, think of the lift it will give him.

It could give him that extra 1% that spurs him on to a goal.