Today's Chron

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there not a time when one or more of our players are being looked at!! My god ... suddenly everyone believes the rarely wrong Cron :grin:

Tickets to sell for an unattracive cup tie??? Smells a little of fans need to turn up to match's or we'll have to sell. Which is actually true!

Clubs like us that operate on a week to week financial loss will always need to sell to survive.

TTA dont have a bottomless pit of cash and have to try at some stage to balance the books and recoup some of their investment in the club, which must be quite substantial.

Having a good youth set up is what keeps clubs like Latics afloat, bringing on young players like Eardley, Taylor and Trotman and inevitably selling them for profit, its the only way we can survive, unfortunately.

Especially where you are talking about higher division clubs I think it’s ridiculous to blame players who leave. Frankly I would lack a little respect for a player who had the talent to play at a higher level but who was content to drift along with his first club because he felt at home there. It’s all well and good wanting to play at a higher division with said club, but there’s no saying that it might not take 2, 5, 13 years to get promoted, or your side might even get relegated. Let’s not forget that Championship and Premiership sides also sell their better players to teams higher up and better off than them.

Guest oa_exile
We can't sell. We've just got our team stable and gelled together.

IF a realistic offer comes in for a player we will sell.

No doubt about it :)

Yeah, i'm right. An option was exercised on his contract until summer 2008.

That worries me. Would love to hang onto him - get him signed for 3 years quick!!

He's of an age where only a cross-border move could mean we got no money... and that never happens! <_<

could swap forbes for parker though.lol

Barnsley had an offer of 200k accepted for Parker, but they couldn't agree terms with him as they deemed him unproven and wanted to pay him as such (skysports). 200k prob out of our range but that would be some buy and a real bargain/investment...

Barnsley had an offer of 200k accepted for Parker, but they couldn't agree terms with him as they deemed him unproven and wanted to pay him as such (skysports). 200k prob out of our range but that would be some buy and a real bargain/investment...

Even if we could find the 200K, if Barnsley couldn't meet his wage demands then its very unlikely that we could.

Hey BP1960 - you're the agent :tongue1:

What valuation would you place on the names mentioned above? There will be a prize for you* if you get two of them correct to within 20% of any offers that come in.

*Polite notice - No prizes will be awarded for this competition.

As has been said, what do you expect this time of year... this is just standard copy fill fodder (cup fever down slightly, insert story about either us being linked with a player, or players possibly leaving), I'm sure Latics as with all clubs in our league, get enquiries about our players all the time.... you can guarantee that every damn club from champ and above will have a whole list of players they are checking out - it means nothing as there are many more options out there.... and to be honest, if its good cash then cheers boys... off you go...

Anyway.... I am also much more interested in this line of the article

The club's owners have told Sheridan, who wants to bring in a striker, a midfielder and a left-sided defender, that money is available.

Stiker, Midfielder, defender it is then! (for today!)

Think the chron has no story,and this is real easy to make up.Every club has enquiries at this time of year.Which is all the article says,if there is any grain of truth in it I would expect it to be Eardley who we should ask at least 1.5m for given the recent transfers.

And the other candidate would be Davies,and we should be lookinf to a least double our money there if we were interested in selling which I doubt.

Robert

Especially where you are talking about higher division clubs I think it’s ridiculous to blame players who leave. Frankly I would lack a little respect for a player who had the talent to play at a higher level but who was content to drift along with his first club because he felt at home there. It’s all well and good wanting to play at a higher division with said club, but there’s no saying that it might not take 2, 5, 13 years to get promoted, or your side might even get relegated. Let’s not forget that Championship and Premiership sides also sell their better players to teams higher up and better off than them.

I don't think anybody is saying that players should strive to get to a higher level, be it with this club or any other Andy, the point for me is that as a club, we should be doing everything we can to try to retain our best players (it's the ONLY realistic way we'll get up), and when we do have to sell we should be holding out for a good price.

Guest oa_exile
There is a difference between selling to survive and selling and buying to improve a team. hopefully Latics are now in the latter category.

Before the Everton game we would lose £700K THIS year alone , so now down to £500K ........so how does that put us in the Latter ?

As i posted earlier IF a realistic offer comes in for ANY of our players we will sell ...just the way it is.

Before the Everton game we would lose £700K THIS year alone , so now down to £500K ........so how does that put us in the Latter ?

As i posted earlier IF a realistic offer comes in for ANY of our players we will sell ...just the way it is.

The way TTA reacted after Portergate hinted that someone would be sold in the future to make up for it. I can't find the article now but I remember at the time thinking 'that's Eardley sold soon then'. Hopefully with planning permission and the FA Cup money, this won't be the case (although, if we got a sensible offer for Eards they will probably take it.)

I know for a fact that Derby have been tracking Trotman (I know of their local scout). Having said that I'm sure quite a number of other clubs see the potential in him too.

He's the brightest thing to come along for us in ages.

I know for a fact that Derby have been tracking Trotman (I know of their local scout). Having said that I'm sure quite a number of other clubs see the potential in him too.

He's the brightest thing to come along for us in ages.

As good a prospect Trotman is now , I for sure think he will be premier class eventually and agree a number of clubs will be monitoring his progress be stupid not too.

Cant see him leaving us just yet after all he has been through,especially to Derby who we could be playing next year.

Mind you if they can pay 3mill for Lilly Savage then I suppose anything is possible.

Robert

I think it's obvious it's Eardley and Trotters. Said after the Everton game how we'll be fighting off the interest after that sterling performance. Nature of the game. He's a class act and £1.5m would be about right. Be gutted to see him go, but we'd simply have to accept that.

Trotters, aswell as defending, scores goals. The Black John Terry? He's got the potential IMO to be right up there, with the right coaching (and cutting out the bookings etc.) Seriously good prospect and cheap if got right now. Think some have been on the white stuff with the amount being quoted. More like £500k being a serious offer to think over. I'd hope they say no. Any higher though and we'd have to consider it. The lesser experience means Eardley should command, for me, 3 times as much as Trotters would.