New Players - Shez may go for youth instead of experience

In tonight's rarely wrong Chron:

Shez may turn to youngsters

by MICHAEL YARWOOD

ATHLETIC manager John Sheridan has admitted he may have to lower his sights in the quest for new signings.

Sheridan fears he is being priced out of the market when it comes to attracting proven, experienced players from a higher level.

The transfer window shuts in a week’s time and Athletic, who said goodbye to loanees Ryan Bertrand and Neil Kilkenny on January 1, have yet to make any additions to their squad.

Sheridan hopes to act before the FA Cup tie with Huddersfield on Saturday, but he could be forced to alter his approach.

He explained: “It’s looking like I might have to get one or two younger players who don’t cost as much.

“Some of the people I’ve tried to sign were asking for money we can’t afford, so that has made things very difficult.

“I’m not saying it will be on the cheap, but I want players in quickly and it might be that they are cheaper than the others.

“They might not be my first choice, but I’ve got one or two lined up and I’m confident we can bring people in sooner rather than later.

“I won’t just sign anyone – they have to be players who will help us – but I want three to come in and give us a boost.

“It amazes me that some of the people we’ve tried to sign would rather sit in their comfort zone than get out and play for somebody else.

“Years ago, if someone offered you the chance of first-team football, you wouldn’t worry about stepping down.

“They earn good money and I’m not putting everyone in the same bracket, but some of them think they are better than they are.”

Sheridan’s number-one aim is to find a striker as Athletic are among the lowest scorers in League One.

They also have the problem of eight-goal Lee Hughes missing Saturday’s cup tie and 10-goal Craig Davies being ruled out of the Carlisle game next Tuesday – both are facing one-match bans.

That could open the door for Deane Smalley, who usually plays on the wing but was deployed as a central striker earlier this season.

The pacy 19-year-old is at home in either position, although Sheridan can also call on Matt Wolfenden and Lewis Alessandra.

Ticket sales for the Huddersfield game have now passed 12,000, but around 1,300 are still available to Athletic fans until 5pm tomorrow.

Guest oa_exile
Ticket sales for the Huddersfield game have now passed 12,000, but around 1,300 are still available to Athletic fans until 5pm tomorrow.

someone has been reading this board..

lol :grin: really ? :wink: or should i say really ! :)

Not loans I hope, unless they are real quality that's just a papering over the cracks scenario, then later you're back to square one.

Buy young prospects for reasonable fees on a permanant basis and build a team like big Joe did is my advice.

Edited by BP1960

Buy young prospects for reasonable fees on a permanant basis and build a team like big Joe did is my advice.

Yes, yes and thrice yes!!!!

Thats the way to do it!!! Lets get some Manure, Citeh..etc..etc..rejects, Ritchie wrote letters to clubs asking for trials, there must be some players out there that don't just want the bling lifestyle but want to kick the ball on a Saturday rather than being propa nawty brrraapp brrraapp.

“Some of the people I’ve tried to sign were asking for money we can’t afford, so that has made things very difficult.

“I’m not saying it will be on the cheap, but I want players in quickly and it might be that they are cheaper than the others.

“They might not be my first choice, but I’ve got one or two lined up and I’m confident we can bring people in sooner rather than later.

Hmmmm....quite ill-advised comments these, IMO. Adds fuel to those arguing about our ambition. Shez can talk about what we can and can't afford but the facts appear to show we do have quite a bit to spend at present (on comparison to what we've had in the past.)....

We won't be paying for Ricketts wages' (or not most of them)

We offered £120K for KK and him the highest wages at the club (once then an improved deal)

We've pocketed a decent amount of cash from the cup which TTA have said is there for Shez to use

Don't get me wrong, I'm often showing concern at the amount of cash being talked about by us on players. Like that £120K for KK and then his wages. However, for the apathetic Latic supporter or those looking to say we don't show ambition his line "Some of the people I’ve tried to sign were asking for money we can’t afford" plays right into their hands. Surely he should be saying that they're asking for money "we're not prepared to pay." It'd also be a warning to those players above thinking we'll just happily throw good money away on them if they're being told we want you, but not paying that for you. Rather than claiming poverty, as though we would pay it if we had it. It's self-perpetuating.

I feel sorry for shez

He cant do right by some people.

The theory that he has just been sitting around doing nothing about signings.....a laughable and disgusting opinion.....turns out to be bull. Age old problem of slly demands.

I'm glad shez is going for qauilty and not just panick buying. Targeting good young players which present a little gamble defo sounds like the best idea.

Thanks for being open and honest about the situation shez. Some of us appreciate it.

I can feel the feeling of disquite growing. All the old phrases like no plan b are being thrown around..... Petty nick picking at comments in the paper.... Well this stuff starts to spread like fire....keep it up chldren and say good bye to another manager....people need to understand it takes more than half a season to build a decent side.....so what if we have to wait till next year or even the year after! lay off the negativity and give shez room to work!

rant over

Hmmmm....quite ill-advised comments these, IMO. Adds fuel to those arguing about our ambition. Shez can talk about what we can and can't afford but the facts appear to show we do have quite a bit to spend at present (on comparison to what we've had in the past.)....

We won't be paying for Ricketts wages' (or not most of them)

We offered £120K for KK and him the highest wages at the club (once then an improved deal)

We've pocketed a decent amount of cash from the cup which TTA have said is there for Shez to use

Don't get me wrong, I'm often showing concern at the amount of cash being talked about by us on players. Like that £120K for KK and then his wages. However, for the apathetic Latic supporter or those looking to say we don't show ambition his line "Some of the people I’ve tried to sign were asking for money we can’t afford" plays right into their hands. Surely he should be saying that they're asking for money "we're not prepared to pay." It'd also be a warning to those players above thinking we'll just happily throw good money away on them if they're being told we want you, but not paying that for you. Rather than claiming poverty, as though we would pay it if we had it. It's self-perpetuating.

We have a wage cap to keep to, and it wouldn't be fair to pay massive wages to a newcomer. I was a bit worried about the KK situation. If he had decided to stay, it may have upset one or two of the others, thinking they were as good and wanting the same money. I was thinking that it may have ruined the togetherness of the players at a critical stage. We can't bring people in on £4000 a week never mind £7000, and someone earning that, is never going to accept less than half, until he has to when his contract runs out.

“It amazes me that some of the people we’ve tried to sign would rather sit in their comfort zone than get out and play for somebody else.

“Years ago, if someone offered you the chance of first-team football, you wouldn’t worry about stepping down.

“They earn good money and I’m not putting everyone in the same bracket, but some of them think they are better than they are.”

Maybe a case of dejavu,but was not that what he said last january :mmm:

I'm glad shez is going for qauilty and not just panick buying.

thats it, thats exactly the point. look at who we have got hughes, davies, ricketts, crossley, gregan and who weve missed killer, clarke. whatever your views on these players they are from a different bracket, yeah maybe we could have signed a grabban type player but shez is aiming higher in the poker window. if all else fails we can prob pick up a grabban type easily. whos gone to a lesser club so far we would have taken? kirk is probably the only one.

OHHH JONNY JONNY, JONNY JONNY JONNY SHERIDAN.