Worst thing i remember

Probably very late 70s early 80s i remember seeing picture on the front of the O EC a mate of my brothers with a dart in his head it happened at BP,i dont no who we were playin but for some reason i think it was Leeds!!

just wondering if he ever went to a match again

if they ever found the thrower.

does anybody else remember this and if there were any other bad memories from BP?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

even tho its not the worst thing i remember but one of the best things i saw was the game at BP even tho we got beat was when we played newcastle and they beat us 3.1, andy cole scored an hatrick in front of a packet out rre full of geordies i was only bout 12/13ish at the time n they were all sing cole cole andy andy cole get a ball scores a goal andy andy cole for some reason i remember that game very well, also they had that massive flag which covered almost the whole stand. great game. think he went to u****d shortly after that game

Guest oa_exile
even tho its not the worst thing i remember but one of the best things i saw was the game at BP even tho we got beat was when we played newcastle and they beat us 3.1, andy cole scored an hatrick in front of a packet out rre full of geordies i was only bout 12/13ish at the time n they were all sing cole cole andy andy cole get a ball scores a goal andy andy cole for some reason i remember that game very well, also they had that massive flag which covered almost the whole stand. great game. think he went to u****d shortly after that game

I have a funny story about that game.

I was walking back up sheepfoot lane after the game and the Geordies had been locked in the RRE.

Some of them were jumping over the wall at the back of the RRE and fighting with the Latics (I wasnt involved of course).

Anyway to cut to the story......

This guy was walking back to his bike as he must have been parked at the carpark at the back of the RRE.

As he walked across the back of the RRE a Geordie came over the wall and confronted the "Biker" , the guy never flinched he then hit the Geordie over the head with his helmet , sparked him out cold and then just casually walked on as if nothing had happened.

Quality !

I could be wrong but I thought he just got 2, Beardsley who absolutely ran the game that night (as mentioned on a previous thread) got the other. I remember fleming had a really good game restricting cole to about 2 touches...unfortunately they both ended up in the back of our net!

Worse feeling at a game was the sinking feeling as Cardiff got another set piece in the first 30 mins of the game and you just knew they were going to score...again! I still stayed to final whistle though. Quite a few others mind, the Stoke FA cup game 93/94 was (danny dyer mode) well naughty (dyer mode off). Esp when, nieve as we were at the time, we stood at the back of the terrace literally within a foot of the stoke fans above us. My first real experience of that kind of thing. I learn't a whole new vocabularly that night.

Probably very late 70s early 80s i remember seeing picture on the front of the O EC a mate of my brothers with a dart in his head it happened at BP,i dont no who we were playin but for some reason i think it was Leeds!!

just wondering if he ever went to a match again

if they ever found the thrower.

does anybody else remember this and if there were any other bad memories from BP?

I remember that. It was a horrible photo.

The incident was at home against Burnley though and was one of the first instances of real trouble that I saw. In those days, there was no segregation but before kick-off, the police moved all the Latics fans (including me and my dad who always used to stand in the Rochdale Road End) into the Paddocks.

That was the re-start of football violence in this Country and the following years were often a little hairy.

I could be wrong but I thought he just got 2, Beardsley who absolutely ran the game that night (as mentioned on a previous thread) got the other. I remember fleming had a really good game restricting cole to about 2 touches...unfortunately they both ended up in the back of our net!

Worse feeling at a game was the sinking feeling as Cardiff got another set piece in the first 30 mins of the game and you just knew they were going to score...again! I still stayed to final whistle though. Quite a few others mind, the Stoke FA cup game 93/94 was (danny dyer mode) well naughty (dyer mode off). Esp when, nieve as we were at the time, we stood at the back of the terrace literally within a foot of the stoke fans above us. My first real experience of that kind of thing. I learn't a whole new vocabularly that night.

he prob did get 2 but what a game that was

and defo agree with cardiff game i went at 4.0 and by the time i got home it was 5 (NOT GOOD)

The incident was at home against Burnley though and was one of the first instances of real trouble that I saw. In those days, there was no segregation but before kick-off, the police moved all the Latics fans (including me and my dad who always used to stand in the Rochdale Road End) into the Paddocks.

That was the re-start of football violence in this Country and the following years were often a little hairy.

what year was it

Only real violence I remember at a home game would have been late 80's against Bradford (I think), the days the away fans could sit in the Lookers upper segregated by a fence. Missles of cans and bottles were being thrown over the fence at the fans, luckily for me and Dad we were sat just out of reach from the missles.

I have a funny story about that game.

I was walking back up sheepfoot lane after the game and the Geordies had been locked in the RRE.

Some of them were jumping over the wall at the back of the RRE and fighting with the Latics (I wasnt involved of course).

Anyway to cut to the story......

This guy was walking back to his bike as he must have been parked at the carpark at the back of the RRE.

As he walked across the back of the RRE a Geordie came over the wall and confronted the "Biker" , the guy never flinched he then hit the Geordie over the head with his helmet , sparked him out cold and then just casually walked on as if nothing had happened.

Quality !

I hope he didn't use that helmet again. They're no good after a collision you know!!!!

Only real violence I remember at a home game would have been late 80's against Bradford (I think), the days the away fans could sit in the Lookers upper segregated by a fence. Missles of cans and bottles were being thrown over the fence at the fans, luckily for me and Dad we were sat just out of reach from the missles.

worst violence i remember was at home to sheff wednesday,think i was about 14,so be 1971.

really bad fighting in the chaddy and a mate of mine got a good kicking that day.

they had to get riot police in from other areas just to calm it down.

to the cries of you'll never take the chaddy.

Guest oa_exile
worst violence i remember was at home to sheff wednesday,think i was about 14,so be 1971.

really bad fighting in the chaddy and a mate of mine got a good kicking that day.

they had to get riot police in from other areas just to calm it down.

to the cries of you'll never take the chaddy.

That could not have been as bad as the one in the early eighties , again with the Wendies :blink:

There was an identical incident at Burnley. A lad was stood two steps down, something came over, he turned to his dad and there was this dart sticking out just above his eye. Was it around 1979? Was Steve Kindon playing? It all kicked off afterwards. Bad old days.

The worst incident or violence I can remember was some time I think in the late 70's (maybe 78/79) we were at home to Stoke, the Stoke fans stormed the pitch before the kick off and then dispersed into the lookers and main stand paddocks as well as in the Chaddy, I recall it was quite scary and disturbing at the time.

I used to stand in the main stand paddock at the time, the police had to go round the paddocks etc to get them all out, I was about 16/17 at the time and had to convince this copper that I was actually from Oldham (even though I was wearing a Latics scarf and hat). :shock:

The worst incident or violence I can remember was some time I think in the late 70's (maybe 78/79) we were at home to Stoke, the Stoke fans stormed the pitch before the kick off and then dispersed into the lookers and main stand paddocks as well as in the Chaddy, I recall it was quite scary and disturbing at the time.

I used to stand in the main stand paddock at the time, the police had to go round the paddocks etc to get them all out, I was about 16/17 at the time and had to convince this copper that I was actually from Oldham (even though I was wearing a Latics scarf and hat). :shock:

funniest thing i ever saw was when we played man city...they kicked off and remember some city fans running across the pitch with a ladder under there arms.

the wendies game i think was in the 80's.my mistake 81 ish i think.

That newcastle game was 4-1, Cole scored a 3 and beardsley got the other. We were 1-0 up as well.

I can remember playing Burnley in the late 90s and they had to get a result to stay in the 2nd division. They scored and some of their fans jumped over the boards and squashed the poor ball boy who was sat at the other side of it. I also remember somebody leaning over the boards in the Lookers to head the ball back to the pitch but he leaned too far and fell over the boards and had to have his arm in a sling. It was really funny because he left the ground to chants of 'theres only one dosy b*****d'.

That newcastle game was 4-1, Cole scored a 3 and beardsley got the other. We were 1-0 up as well.

it was 3 -1 colw 2 beardsley 1( a cracker with his left foot.he ran the show)

it was on sky on a monday night and they battered us, i think jobbo scored a goal just before halftime to put us 1 up which we didnt deserve.

was the keeper lance key? on loan

I also remember somebody leaning over the boards in the Lookers to head the ball back to the pitch but he leaned too far and fell over the boards and had to have his arm in a sling. It was really funny because he left the ground to chants of 'theres only one dosy b*****d'.

If memory serves, I think that one dozy chap might have been LitikNik on here. If not I'm sure he had a near miss in a similar incident.

I can remember playing Burnley in the late 90s and they had to get a result to stay in the 2nd division. They scored and some of their fans jumped over the boards and squashed the poor ball boy who was sat at the other side of it. I also remember somebody leaning over the boards in the Lookers to head the ball back to the pitch but he leaned too far and fell over the boards and had to have his arm in a sling. It was really funny because he left the ground to chants of 'theres only one dosy b*****d'.

ye i know that guy it was my mate matty povah didnt know it was him untill i got home and i was telling my friend and he said ye it was matty haha QUALITY

if its the matty incident it was in the lookers stand near the chaddy end rite infont of the burger/beer place in the back, there was nowt wrong with him he said he was to embarresed to get up so then they got the ambulance people in o it still makes me laugh that everytime i think about it and yes he still gets ripped for it hahahaha all day long