92nd minute

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you know for a name like happyterrib i thought you would be more well..happy! you always seem a bit excited mate, i noticed from previous posts, calm yourself!

but for the record do you support latics? because you seem to hate everything they are doing at the moment?

anyone can beat anyone in this league, were missing a few players but unless you come up with the 4000 a week they are demanding i dont think we can afford to get anyone else

you know for a name like happyterrib i thought you would be more well..happy! you always seem a bit excited mate, i noticed from previous posts, calm yourself!

but for the record do you support latics? because you seem to hate everything they are doing at the moment?

anyone can beat anyone in this league, were missing a few players but unless you come up with the 4000 a week they are demanding i dont think we can afford to get anyone else

Seems like you're a bit of a mind reader but not a very good one friend. I love the Latics and have done so since i was knee high to a grass hopper some 46 years ago. The difference between me and our current management is that they can move on when the day comes. In the meantime thay do not appear to be up to the job IMO. Can you also point out to me where I have intimated that I hate what the club are doing. It just appears that if you place yourself outside the majority of posters on here then your view is invalid. I do not deny we are missing some players but it would help if our Management team would play the players we've got in their most effective positions. If they had a plan B and if they could encourage the lads on the pitch when they play occasionally. I certainly spend 90 odd minutes encouraging my team every time I get there. Like some one else said on here... opinions are like assholes, we've each got one.

Do you really, honestly, truthfully believe that the length of time spent on the bus contributed to the losing of that game? :omg:

It's an excuse, and just that. I think it would have had some contribution but minorly. It can't have gone any good, can it?

I think the fact that a striker who's played 3 senior games in his life, with a bench that has a combined age of about fourteen playing on an allotment of a pitch had a far bigger contribution personally.

And we've never really done well on long midweek away trips have we?

Just cast you minds back to the 91st minute, everyone was saying this would be a good result. Unlucky goal conceded and it's the end of the world.

True, we need to work on:

Our fitness levels

Set pieces

Get a striker

Get a left winger

and defender

Defend for the full 90

Get the injured players back

Get our strikers form back

Get more goalds from midfield.

But's it's not all doom and gloom...

Just cast you minds back to the 91st minute, everyone was saying this would be a good result. Unlucky goal conceded and it's the end of the world.

True, we need to work on:

Our fitness levels - Poor, due to us starting back more than two weeks after the other play off participants. No better than when we faded shockingly from Feb onwards last year

Set pieces - :censored: all the time Shez has been Boss

Get a striker - Dithered in the market then almost made two panic signings that wouldn't have solved the prolem

Get a left winger - We've got one, but he's bleedin' right footed!

and defender - Greegs and THompson are due back so the cover is there

Defend for the full 90 - Never managed that in 22 years supporting them, so why start now?

Get the injured players back - Slowly happening

Get our strikers form back - Won't happen unless they have real competition, not kids and not the manager coming out with stupid comments such as "we'll stick with what we have" Kinda puts people in the comfort zone dontcha think?Get more goals from midfield - Apart from Macca, with the players we have, aint gonna happen!

But's it's not all doom and gloom...

It was this time last season we went on our dire run of form that saw us collect 17 points from our last 15 games. That sort of run will see us scrape to safety. Unlike many on here i'm still more worried about the fact that the relegation zone claimed two points back on us last night and the final third of the season is usually when teams at the bottom buck up their ideas. We thought we had a stright-forward run-in last year..........we won 4 out of 15. We need the injuries back and quick, AND another striker and perhaps a Plan B that doesn't involve kids. Deano and Lewis will be great players, but they just don't do it away from home. Last night sounded like the mirror image of Swansea, Yeovil, etc... toothless in the final third. We've not scored from open play in our last 4 away games, that is worrying. Shez has come out with this all out attack nonsense then plays a guy who is not a left back at left back (from the horses mouth on Saturday after the game) Young Kelvin gives us balance and we look better going forward. Not denying Livermore is quality but we didn't need a left back it was a left sodding winger we need. The way we are set up at times is far too cagey. You've got a centre-mid at left-back and another one supposedly on the right of midfield, thats why we look disjointed and don't score enough goals.

See you same time, same place next season.

Now where's that talking heads album.......?

I hope I'm wrong, but I've had a feeling for some time that, together, those failures sealed our future status.

What utter GOOLIES! That is like saying we lost last night because we lost to Fulham the last time we played them.

Intentional caps because I AM SHOUTING.

WE LOST A BLOODY GAME OF FOOTBALL, NO ONE DIED, NO ONE GOT HURT, WE DROPPED THREE POINTS, THAT IS ALL. SO WHAT, WE WERE NEVER GOING TO GET PROMOTED THIS SEASON, I DO NOT KNOW WHY SO MANY PEOPLE ARE GETTING THEIR KNICKERS IN A TWIST. YES SHEZ SAID THAT WAS THE AIM IN AUGUST. LAST FEBRUARY MY AIM WAS TO LOSE A COUPLE OF STONE BEFORE MY WEDDING, I DIDN'T MANAGE THAT BUT THAT WAS WHAT I WAS AIMING, I ACTUALLY KNEW IT WASN'T GOING TO HAPPEN BUT TO ANYONE WHO WOULD LISTEN I SAID I WAS GOING TO LOSE A FEW STONE BECAUSE THAT IS THE KIND OF THING PEOPLE SAY BEFORE A WEDDING LIKEWISE "WE ARE GOING" FOR PROMOTION IS WHAT MANAGERS SAY IN AUGUST.

oh, whats the fecking point? I've been following latics for over 20 years and in that time we have been crap, really crap, crap, better, good, really good, crap, really crap, really really crap, better, good, shocking, crap and better. Thats more crap than good and for the rest of my life I expect Latics to go through a lot more crap and only a little bit of good. If that isn't good enough for you then I don't know what to say but I am going to enjoy the good times when they come and I am not going to make the bad times worse by self-flagellation whenever we aren't sitting 20 points clear at the top of the table moaning about what could have been. If my numbers had come up on Friday I would now be sitting on £96 million on a beach in the Caribbean instead of at my desk at work. If the girl I went on a date with to Rollercity in junior 4 hadn't dumped me halfway through the date I could now be married to her and be waiting to inherit her dad's chippy.

We support a small club that got lucky then got unlucky again. We can either fall out amongst ourselves over whether this player should be on the right or this player shouldn't be on the bench but for christsakes can we do it with a smile on our faces? No one forces us to do this, this is something we chose to do. There are loads of other things to do with your time.

If it is causing you all that much pain and suffering and torment that we haven't been promoted yet this season or any season out of the last 11 then ask yourselves the question "Is it worth it?" If the answer comes back that it isn't then you know what to do. If the answer comes back that it is really really important thats why you are so upset then maybe you need to re-prioritise?

Shez IN, Taylor ON THE LEFT, Crossley IN, Smalley IN, Eardley IN and he can boot it crossfield to no-one or out in to touch as much as he likes, Davies playing keep ball on the wing with his head down not passing to anyone, or running, Experience loan striker OUT, lets give these kids a proper go and get behind them, no one else will yet if we put any of them up for sale other clubs would snatch our hands off.

What utter GOOLIES! That is like saying we lost last night because we lost to Fulham the last time we played them.

Intentional caps because I AM SHOUTING.

WE LOST A BLOODY GAME OF FOOTBALL, NO ONE DIED, NO ONE GOT HURT, WE DROPPED THREE POINTS, THAT IS ALL. SO WHAT, WE WERE NEVER GOING TO GET PROMOTED THIS SEASON, I DO NOT KNOW WHY SO MANY PEOPLE ARE GETTING THEIR KNICKERS IN A TWIST. YES SHEZ SAID THAT WAS THE AIM IN AUGUST. LAST FEBRUARY MY AIM WAS TO LOSE A COUPLE OF STONE BEFORE MY WEDDING, I DIDN'T MANAGE THAT BUT THAT WAS WHAT I WAS AIMING, I ACTUALLY KNEW IT WASN'T GOING TO HAPPEN BUT TO ANYONE WHO WOULD LISTEN I SAID I WAS GOING TO LOSE A FEW STONE BECAUSE THAT IS THE KIND OF THING PEOPLE SAY BEFORE A WEDDING LIKEWISE "WE ARE GOING" FOR PROMOTION IS WHAT MANAGERS SAY IN AUGUST.

oh, whats the fecking point? I've been following latics for over 20 years and in that time we have been crap, really crap, crap, better, good, really good, crap, really crap, really really crap, better, good, shocking, crap and better. Thats more crap than good and for the rest of my life I expect Latics to go through a lot more crap and only a little bit of good. If that isn't good enough for you then I don't know what to say but I am going to enjoy the good times when they come and I am not going to make the bad times worse by self-flagellation whenever we aren't sitting 20 points clear at the top of the table moaning about what could have been. If my numbers had come up on Friday I would now be sitting on £96 million on a beach in the Caribbean instead of at my desk at work. If the girl I went on a date with to Rollercity in junior 4 hadn't dumped me halfway through the date I could now be married to her and be waiting to inherit her dad's chippy.

We support a small club that got lucky then got unlucky again. We can either fall out amongst ourselves over whether this player should be on the right or this player shouldn't be on the bench but for christsakes can we do it with a smile on our faces? No one forces us to do this, this is something we chose to do. There are loads of other things to do with your time.

If it is causing you all that much pain and suffering and torment that we haven't been promoted yet this season or any season out of the last 11 then ask yourselves the question "Is it worth it?" If the answer comes back that it isn't then you know what to do. If the answer comes back that it is really really important thats why you are so upset then maybe you need to re-prioritise?

Shez IN, Taylor ON THE LEFT, Crossley IN, Smalley IN, Eardley IN and he can boot it crossfield to no-one or out in to touch as much as he likes, Davies playing keep ball on the wing with his head down not passing to anyone, or running, Experience loan striker OUT, lets give these kids a proper go and get behind them, no one else will yet if we put any of them up for sale other clubs would snatch our hands off.

None of this has got anything to do with whether our fate was sealed by three (in reality two-Ronnie's full season was never convincing) attempts at promotion that ought to have succeeded-and would have done at clubs where they genuinely wanted it. At BP there is simply no belief anymore.

As I said, I hope I'm wrong, but you don't need to be too keenly receptive to prevailing moods to see that the entire club-particularly the fans-now absolutely reek of the attitude that we are where we belong. You've said as much above with your, 'we got lucky' comments. The hard fact is that you make your own luck in football.

And the thing is that you're no more happy with mediocrity than I, and others, are either. Nobody is. If they were, they wouldn't get so upset with those who take off the rose-tinted specs.

I came to the conclusion that it wasn't wortth it a while ago (except for three months last year). But I have no wish to see the club suffer further decline, so I'm not going to abandon it. It IS an addiction, and, ultimately, a senseless one at that.

Our fate hasn't been sealed by anything, anyway, I don't believe in fate.

We do not belong anywhere, we have no right to a place in any division, it has to be earned. When I started supporting we were in the bottom of the old Second Division, I know people who started supporting when we were in the 4th, we have no "natural" position.

We got lucky with our pinch me seasons, a feat that hasn't been seen since, can you name a championship club that has achieved what we achieved? Semis of FA, final of Coca cola then winning the Championship?

We did this by appointing Joe and then having the balls to to stick with him while he made his mistakes and built a side. I can remember him getting a load of stick for having his favourites..etc.. granted this was in a division above but it took him time to get it right, people jumping on his back didn't help him get it right and it won't help Shez get it right.

We got lucky with our pinch me seasons, a feat that hasn't been seen since, can you name a championship club that has achieved what we achieved? Semis of FA, final of Coca cola then winning the Championship?

We did this by appointing Joe and then having the balls to to stick with him while he made his mistakes and built a side. I can remember him getting a load of stick for having his favourites..etc.. granted this was in a division above but it took him time to get it right, people jumping on his back didn't help him get it right and it won't help Shez get it right.

Perhaps no club has done it quite so dramatically, but other clubs have succeeded in coming from where we were and stabilising at a higher level. What OAFC did then was largely cancelled out by the failure to capitalise on it (for whatever reasons) in a way that ensured that we didn't have such a rapid and disastrous comedown (and by disastrous I mean almost going to the wall twice within the following decade, and the loss of the entire new fanbase created for a brief period.) The result was to considerably reinforce the kind of cynicism and bitterness towards the club locally that may yet prove insurmountable.

Your above statement is contradictory. We did not get lucky but, as you say, took the right decisions. You won't get me calling for Shez's head, but it is by no means clear that we have a parallel situation to that era now. For one thing, it counted for much that we were in the division above in the early Royle days. If we were in the second tier now the situation would be whole lot healthier, obviously. But we're not-we are struggling in the third and seeing a host of clubs, historically smaller than ourselves, sail past us. I appreciate that TTA have a busness plan, but, football-wise this club is the same rudderless ship it was when they arrived, a technically better and more expensive playing squad notwithstanding (as evidenced by results and the league position being about the same.)

Edited by Corporal_Jones

football nowadays is run by the premier league and sky tv, its a case of :censored: to the other leagues we are the only important ones, the lower league teams are now struggling as a result and the financial gap is wider than ever. We cannot afford to go and by a star player from another team because there wages would cripple us, we have home grown talent and it is the only way we will survive.

If we went out and bought 7-8 players (moore era) and didnt get promotion then what do you think would happen, currently we are losing x amount a week, do you think we can sign some big player on £5k a week.

With what Shez has spent and the loan signings he has made iam happy finishing in the top half this season, the massive positive to come out of this season is the experience given to Smalley, Alesandra, Eardley.

We have a young team and i guarentee we will be there or there abouts in the shake up to get promoted next season.

KEEP THE FAITH

But we're not-we are struggling in the third and seeing a host of clubs, historically smaller than ourselves, sail past us.

You really love to real that one out without ever wanting to back that up.

Just to put a benchmark on it, how many have done since 2000, with a budget the same as ours is now and are still up there? (i.e. the Championship or higher).

And well done for dragging another thread well off topic again Corporal.

Just to put a benchmark on it, how many have done since 2000, with a budget the same as ours is now and are still up there? (i.e. the Championship or higher).

its annoying we have started losing away,but great that we have started winning at home.

swings n roundabouts isnt it.

i would just play a 4-4-2 formation,with lomax at left back,livermoor on the left wing and put taylor on the right wing,and have jarrett n allot in midfield.

with specific instructions to lomax n eardly to get forward on the overlaps,putting balls into the middle for davies n hughes(when fit)

we need to bring in 2 new faces one definately an experienced striker at this level or above.

in my eyes shez has only come out with this all out attack to appease the flak from the fans,i think in reallity we are planning already for next season.

if results go our way and we start firing again,anything is possible.

but to be honest this ridiculous free for all slagging off after every defeat is getting tedious,and like i have said many times before,we are a third division team struggling week by week,and not the superstar team and players some would have you believe.

There are a few comments on here about fitness levels / concentration etc costing us this season with last minute goals.

But if you look back over the season we have 'snatched points' from the death just on more occassions that we have 'given them away' - Just.

Last minute winners against Swansea (h), Crewe (h), Tranmere (A) etc have gained us points

V

Last minute defeats /draws against Bristol, Leeds, Brighton, Doncaster etc.

There are swings, and there are roundabouts.

We didn't get lucky during the pinch me seasons, it was mainly due to the shrewd buying of some very promising young players from local top flight clubs.

The manager at the time Joe Royle also enjoyed a strong rapport with Oldham fans with his swashbuckling brand of attacking football.

Fans don't want mediocrity, settling for that will see attendances plummet.

Exciting young players are still out there, the art is spotting this talent early and beating other clubs to their signatures before their values rise.

Edited by BP1960

'Real one out'?

I wasn't the first to raise the issue of it being another wasted season.

Another one who has, essentially, nothing to say other than, 'everybody else is rubbish so no shame in us being rubbish too keep the faith.'