Where it all went wrong

after the dissappointment of last night, i think most of us, including the most optomistic amongst us have written off the playoffs now. with brightons/bristols games in hand its just to big of an ask in my opinion.

so where has it gone wrong this season? in reality there have been too many mistakes made by the management, coupled with the loss of Wellens and Porter in the summer.

Wellens never got replaced, Kilkenny is not a patch on him. I dont like the guy, but he is second to none in his role in this division.

To many players being played out of position has hindered us, especially in midfield. Taylor should be on the right, playing in conjunction wih another attacking winger who is willing to run at his man. Playing central midfielders on the wings simply limits your options. Also we have no attacking element in midfield. Allott wins the ball, it goes backwards to central defence, and in turn to Eardley. He has no outlet infront of him because there is no winger, and so reverts to the big boot. imo it isnt his fault, its the lack of winger making him look poor this year.

In all honesty our squad isnt that bad, yes it might be a little paper thin, but the players we have at the club are good enough, save for the Wellens replacement we have craved all season. with the young players having gained a years experience next year, and hopefully Shez learning from his player positional mistakes of this season,and the odd addition to replace wellens, liddell (yes i know there are a few people who want him to stay as a squad player, but in my opinion it would be a waste of a wage),Kalala, Thompson or A.N.Other.

Dissappointing season? yes Time for Sheridan to go? definatley not

after the dissappointment of last night, i think most of us, including the most optomistic amongst us have written off the playoffs now. with brightons/bristols games in hand its just to big of an ask in my opinion.

so where has it gone wrong this season? in reality there have been too many mistakes made by the management, coupled with the loss of Wellens and Porter in the summer.

Wellens never got replaced, Kilkenny is not a patch on him. I dont like the guy, but he is second to none in his role in this division.

To many players being played out of position has hindered us, especially in midfield. Taylor should be on the right, playing in conjunction wih another attacking winger who is willing to run at his man. Playing central midfielders on the wings simply limits your options. Also we have no attacking element in midfield. Allott wins the ball, it goes backwards to central defence, and in turn to Eardley. He has no outlet infront of him because there is no winger, and so reverts to the big boot. imo it isnt his fault, its the lack of winger making him look poor this year.

In all honesty our squad isnt that bad, yes it might be a little paper thin, but the players we have at the club are good enough, save for the Wellens replacement we have craved all season. with the young players having gained a years experience next year, and hopefully Shez learning from his player positional mistakes of this season,and the odd addition to replace wellens, liddell (yes i know there are a few people who want him to stay as a squad player, but in my opinion it would be a waste of a wage),Kalala, Thompson or A.N.Other.

Dissappointing season? yes Time for Sheridan to go? definatley not

Good post but as I just pointed out whilst replying to a oafc1955 thread which has seemingly been deleted a major factor in this seasons disapointments has been forgotten/disregarded by many. Injuries.

Good point on Wellens - class player should have been retained at all costs imo and made a latics legend. Surprised Shez of all people let him go. Porter? We can manage without him would have prefered the money than his signiture. He would have had few goals in this seasons team.

To my mind a successful team NEEDS a spine of experienced, top performers who will drive us forward when things are good and rescue points for us when things aren't so good.

That spine in this team is Crossley, Gregan, Allott, Liddell and Hughes. Five players. Three of those players have been missing for most of the season and we've been unable to replace them. We can't afford to be missing three of our five key players. That's where it went wrong. Simple as.

It didn't help our spine was ripped out

Pogs

Haining

Gregan (injured)

Wellens

Porter

Warne

We underestimated the damage that has actually caused. I'd take Haining over Thompson everyday of the week, Warne should have been kept as a squad player....I agree with Stitch_KTF over about Porter and Wellens, 14k is nothing to keep one of the best midfielders in the division. Great signing for Donny.

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

To my mind a successful team NEEDS a spine of experienced, top performers who will drive us forward when things are good and rescue points for us when things aren't so good.

That spine in this team is Crossley, Gregan, Allott, Liddell and Hughes. Five players. Three of those players have been missing for most of the season and we've been unable to replace them. We can't afford to be missing three of our five key players. That's where it went wrong. Simple as.

very true, injuries have crippled our squad which was bare anyway. the young uns have had to grow up fast and that has to be a positive for the future. You need experience and the know how to escape this mediocre league and hopefully next season we will be a force with the experienced players being fit and the young pro's having settled into the team.

I cant believe how crap we have been at home this season, but the pressure on the players from a very hard to please home crowd is often our own downfall, most at B.P still remember the days under big Joe but we have to realise that those days of fast flowing entertaining football at BP have gone for now, the lads look nervous every time they play at home and i now ask the question.

could it be our fault for not getting behind the team as we should?

The drop in attendances is disappointing - and I'm sure the players notice that as much as anyone - but I honestly don't think our fans are any worse than any others when it comes to boos, grumbles and abuse. Every team has them.

nope, it's the same size piece of grass that they play on every week.

with the difference being they dont get whinged at away from home, some of our supporters are wa....rs who constantly moan about anything some players can do no right. What is the point in paying £20 to go and sit in the cold and moan for a couple of hours, we are all paying good money to watch OUR team and if we want them to be successful then we should get behind them, whingers please stay away.

The drop in attendances is disappointing - and I'm sure the players notice that as much as anyone - but I honestly don't think our fans are any worse than any others when it comes to boos, grumbles and abuse. Every team has them.

I have to go to a few P.N.E games due to my childcare work and although they are struggling near the bottom of the league, there fans get behind their team. They are a poor side who i think will struggle to stay up but will always have fans singing and backing them.

with the difference being they dont get whinged at away from home, some of our supporters are wa....rs who constantly moan about anything some players can do no right. What is the point in paying £20 to go and sit in the cold and moan for a couple of hours, we are all paying good money to watch OUR team and if we want them to be successful then we should get behind them, whingers please stay away.

Listen I'm not a moaner, but I can't say I don't get so frustrated sometimes that I end up shouting 'oh ffs' type things. But quite frankly the way the attendances are going I'm all for anyone paying £20 to sit there and moan for a couple of hours - at least they are paying there money (obviously with a 'not near my seat' caveat :grin: ) .

It is the stayaways that need to be attracted back and that is only achieved through a balance of a good product on the pitch and the correctly targeted marketing/offers. That hasn't been achieved just yet.

My point on the above was that it isn't the shouts from fans that give players the ability to chose the right pass, stop making the wrong run etc. Good support can help lift players, but 99.9% of crowds in football have whingers, we are no different. Take last night as an example, it was one of those occassions where it was up to the players to lift the crowd - as oppose to other times when the crowd are already 'up'. I know if I was a player I'd rather be playing at home where I might hear some idiots in the minority shouting rubbish, but at least I'm not getting rubbish from a few thousand home fans at an away ground.

where it all went wrong...lost last 3 matches of season 1914/15 to miss out on league championship then world war one started...I blame Ronnie M**re

No, it was the Kaiser . And we were showing better form in the late 1930s and guess what - Germans kick off again.

where it all went wrong...lost last 3 matches of season 1914/15 to miss out on league championship

In the last match of that season, didn't one of our players get a red card and refuse to leave the field and so the match was abandoned with the resulting (losing) score standing? That was probably the beginning of the end IMO...

Can you imagine the reaction to that happening this seasons with one of our "fans favourites"...? :grin:

A few players missing through injury hasnt helped us this season but would we of got 500k for Trotman if Gregan hadnt of been injured and would Lewis still be unknown to most fans if Hughes wasnt out? We need to keep a team together for next season because we can't keep ripping the team apart and signing new players each summer.

I think were lucky to have such great talent coming through the team. Eardley needs a right winger (Taylor?) to play balls to because it's a waste of potential letting him hoof the ball away. Smalley,Wolfy and Lewis will be quality when their fully ready for first team football (Loan?). I think Shez will of learnt a lot more this season than last which is good because he's a great young manager. He needs to get some more attacking football sorted out because most of the 1-0 defeats this season could of been avoided if we'd have been more clinical upfront. Hopefully Davies and Hughes will learn to play together as they could be a leathal partnership.

I think next season could be a good one but there's a few things to iron out with the squad. New stand being built next year aswel so it's not all doom and gloom yet!

A few players missing through injury hasnt helped us this season but would we of got 500k for Trotman if Gregan hadnt of been injured and would Lewis still be unknown to most fans if Hughes wasnt out? We need to keep a team together for next season because we can't keep ripping the team apart and signing new players each summer.

I think were lucky to have such great talent coming through the team. Eardley needs a right winger (Taylor?) to play balls to because it's a waste of potential letting him hoof the ball away. Smalley,Wolfy and Lewis will be quality when their fully ready for first team football (Loan?). I think Shez will of learnt a lot more this season than last which is good because he's a great young manager. He needs to get some more attacking football sorted out because most of the 1-0 defeats this season could of been avoided if we'd have been more clinical upfront. Hopefully Davies and Hughes will learn to play together as they could be a leathal partnership.

I think next season could be a good one but there's a few things to iron out with the squad. New stand being built next year aswel so it's not all doom and gloom yet!

yes you can point to injuries,but isnt it the managers job to make sure we have strengh in depth,our bad start to the season cost us,but at the end of the day shez still has a lot to learn,again in january he dithered probably through lack of experience,but he should be man enough to admit that an experienced head to help with potential signings is a big help to him,and takes some pressure off him so to speak.

crowds have dropped off because of the product on the pitch,i have seen bad times anf good times,and this now,but at least when we was under big joe if we lost we did it trying to play football,and not just hoof it upfield blindly.

we need to get rid of 4 maybe 5 players,and bring in decent quality players in there place. we always played well with wingers,and i cant beleive shez doesnt know this,big joe had his faults,and he played players out of position,but at least we played decent.

i am all in favour of stability,and loyalty,but if we dont go up next season we will have to change things again.

but would we of got 500k for Trotman if Gregan hadnt of been injured and would Lewis still be unknown to most fans if Hughes wasnt out?

And barely a penny reinvested....either Shez is holding it back with a view to next season or TTA aren't as forthcoming as it's previously been made out in the past...either way, Shez will ultimately carry the can for it (fair or not.) If it's the former, he's no excuse at all next season, injuries or not the squad has to be big enough whereas if it's the former, then would anyone be unhappy if he spoke out and admitted that the transfer budget isn't as it appears to be, as attendances drop dramatically and TTA decide not to offer much more to Shez after what he's already had? Might not be happy that that's the case, but with our support it's understandable until off the pitch investment is created.

yes you can point to injuries,but isnt it the managers job to make sure we have strengh in depth,our bad start to the season cost us,but at the end of the day shez still has a lot to learn,again in january he dithered probably through lack of experience,but he should be man enough to admit that an experienced head to help with potential signings is a big help to him,and takes some pressure off him so to speak.

crowds have dropped off because of the product on the pitch,i have seen bad times anf good times,and this now,but at least when we was under big joe if we lost we did it trying to play football,and not just hoof it upfield blindly.

we need to get rid of 4 maybe 5 players,and bring in decent quality players in there place. we always played well with wingers,and i cant beleive shez doesnt know this,big joe had his faults,and he played players out of position,but at least we played decent.

i am all in favour of stability,and loyalty,but if we dont go up next season we will have to change things again.

Nail on the head. It's about recognising your mistakes and ensuring you don't go down the same road again. Joe could be stubborn at times, but you knew the football was going to be entertaining.

Unfortunately the footie at the moment is far from entertaining and Shez appears to be either foolishly stubborn or a slow learner. Here is a man with the ability to attract good players, but the inability to get them to play together - maybe it's a different right hand man he needs?

Don't agree with that. I think we have to be serious contenders who are challenging consistently all season, but to say we HAVE to go up or the manager gets the bullet is grossly unfair. Every season can be affected by something or other which is outside our control like injuries etc. That said I think the play-offs should be the minimum target.

Y'know what, I was just looking at Everton losing and it got me thinking....I'm satisfied for this season for that one win alone....the buzz I and everyone felt at H/T and F/T is something that can never be removed....we beat a UEFA Cup team in their own park when everyone had written us off as cannon fodder even some of our own fans and to be honest I thought we'd get demolished (considering we have 3 players missing from the Leeds game). That's a day which will be remembered for years by us and I don't think it's tainted by the poor performance in the next round, we were never going to win the cup, so it's quite irrelevant. Sure it would have been nice to go a little further but we beat one of the best teams in the country, a team who occupied 4th spot at the time, nothing can change that. I get a huge smile on my face thinking about it. This season hasn't been pretty but from it we've got one of those moments that will last forever:

It's not over yet!

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

Y'know what, I was just looking at Everton losing and it got me thinking....I'm satisfied for this season for that one win alone....the buzz I and everyone felt at H/T and F/T is something that can never be removed....we beat a UEFA Cup team in their own park when everyone had written us off as cannon fodder even some of our own fans and to be honest I thought we'd get demolished (considering we have 3 players missing from the Leeds game). That's a day which will be remembered for years by us and I don't think it's tainted by the poor performance in the next round, we were never going to win the cup, so it's quite irrelevant. Sure it would have been nice to go a little further but we beat one of the best teams in the country, a team who occupied 4th spot at the time, nothing can change that. I get a huge smile on my face thinking about it. This season hasn't been pretty but from it we've got one of those moments that will last forever:

It's not over yet!

Good post....with you on that about Everton....only shining light of Talbot's god awful season was the Man City game....Shez has emulated his god awful season, by a mediocre one with the Everton win....this season will only be remembered in years to come as the 5 days where we dicked the White:censored:e and the Toffees! It ain't all bad this season....but then, I never thought it was.....it's what 2yrs ago was.....and on we go :grin:

Edited by boundaryblue80

I would say that the manager provided strength in depth to an extent. We have recovered to mid table with an outside chance of playoffs (until Tuesday IMO) despite the injuries to the spine/key players.

If you are calling for Shez to provide strength in depth to maintain a serious promotion attempt despite the type of injuries we have had then you are being very demanding as we simply havent the resources for that save from finding half a team of bargains like Rubes but how often does that happen??

It is obvious where things have gone wrong this season and although Shez hasnt at times covered himself in glory im sure he will get it right next season when hopefully he will be able to get his best players on the pitch!

There has been some fundimental errors IMO with Sheridan this season.

1. Not replacing Edwards. I'm not saying Eddie was the best left winger, but he gave us balance. We didn't have a left footed player playing on the left side until Livermore arrived. Thats not good enough. When Taylor lost confidence and needed switching - we have been unable to.

2. Not adding enough to the squad. The squad wasn't big enough last year. We were found out late on, and the squad is smaller now. Players like Liddell and Gregan are now on big wages. We need more depth to the squad. They need to go and put 4/5 players on their wages in the squad to bulk it up.

3. Eardley as captain. I'm not Eardley's biggest fan, I'd rather see a left back at LB and Lomax at Right back, but Eardley can put a good cross in when he gets forward (well into the final 1/3 rather than just playing it from the half way line). Why isn't Allott captain? Had a very good season, always depandable and is a fans favourite. (Well done Mark, cos I thought the fans would give you stick)

4. Not replacing Kilkenny in January. The world and his wife could see that we'd miss him. Maybe the Everton result altered his judgement?

BUT.......

He is learning. He gets the team well organised. Ok sometimes the football has been shocking, but how many times have we been beaten by more than one goal? He's given us some of the best days in recent memory and we must stick with him. I agree with the comments about Everton. This season has been a success because of that. Latics fans are never able to be top dog, were people around Britain mention us. And the first week of 2008 - we were. I think the club were wrong to give him a 3 year deal 12 months ago. It should have been a 2 year contract, but hopefully this summer he will have learnt and we can push on.

Edited by pukka