coventry after Eardley

hotline

HOTLINE - CITY'SEARD INSTINCT

BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE

Coventry boss Chris Coleman is planning to sign Oldham's Welsh international right back Neal Eardley at the start of a major revamp.

Eardley is set to quit Boundary Park in the summer and Coleman is heading the race - along with surprise bidders Brighton.

Eardley has become a regular in John Toshack's plans and is set to sample the Championship.

...if he leaves us high n dry after all the club has done for him then in my opinion it would be good riddance...

Eh? I'd be disappointed to see him go, but we've hardly done badly from him - 80 games and a reasonable fee. Not sure why that would count as a massive betrayal.

Eh? I'd be disappointed to see him go, but we've hardly done badly from him - 80 games and a reasonable fee. Not sure why that would count as a massive betrayal.

Find it odd how some people can't wait to "off" him! 80 games and counting...consistent if nothing else! Be very sad to see him go...if he does....great in defence and great when with a RW to link with. Scepticle that he'll end up at Coventry though.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Who will be Lomax's backup if Eardley goes? Surely it is better to have two young, fast and promising full backs especially if we will be looking to play Lomax at right back as well as left back.

Unless we get silly money we should hold on to him, there are another 4 years till he gets to leave on a free bosman so it doesn't matter if his contract runs down.

Who knows, this time next year he could be negotiating a Championship contract with us after we secure promotion by Easter.

Find it odd how some people can't wait to "off" him! 80 games and counting...consistent if nothing else! Be very sad to see him go...if he does....great in defence and great when with a RW to link with. Scepticle that he'll end up at Coventry though.

When is his contract up?

I seem to remember this International Starlet and Team Captain signing a long term contract with us. I remember thinking "What a good lad - showing us his commitment to us rather than doing a "Porter" - or a "Makin" would probably sum it up a bit better"

I find it disappointing that people are wanting to get rid and think that we have a replacement who has not played a full season of first team football - never mind in the position where people think he would be able to play.

Edit - NB: I must speed up my typing skills

Edited by Rick

I don't dislike him I just think we have a replacement so if we can get good money (and it has to be good, not on the cheap!) then we should wish him well and let him go.

He is decent at this level but I'm not sure he is "great in defence," he gets caught out of position a bit too often for me. But admittidly he is young and this aspect of his game will improve.

no i meant if he does a porter on us, leaves us after contract finishes, we have done well with him yes, but hes a big prospect for future, we should at least get money for him

I personally think we should keep him, hes only gonna get better, got his best days ahead of him yet

Exactly...we bemoan how we can't get players to come to us from up above...be it not wanting to come to this level or can't afford them but a player we have, that can make the step up, we are ready to happily sell him. I'd want a big, big fee around at least £750k for him or else no thanks, we'll see where we can get with him.

As for his being caught out of position, yes, true sometimes he can be. This is often when we've no RW playing and he's had to venture up himself. Very, very rarely (if ever) happens when he's playing RB and often, if he goes forward the RW fills in (one thing I will grant Lids was very good at when the two overlapped.....back in the day...last seen on 1st Jan 2007!) And when he is caught out, 9 out of 10 times he's the pace to get back and recover. Only his passing concerns me sometimes, but again, that's better when he's got a balanced right side to the team.

Eardley is a neat tidy, consistent defender. When people say Eardley has had a bad game it's usually after he's sent 5 crosses over the bar....but what he does defensively is what merits praise...I've said it before but I've rarely seen Eardley play the ball into danger, the other stuff like clearing the ball off the line against Doncaster, the way he charges forward with the ball. He's young and always improving, I'd like him to have another season with us, he's under contract until 2010 isn't he?

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

I don't really see how people are saying Lomax is as good, or a ready-made replacement for Eardley.

Jeez Louise some people are quick to write players off, Eardley is easily one of our best prospects and I'd say worth £1million+, given the current price for young Welsh International full-backs.

If Lomax was as good, surely he too would be watched by scouts week-in, week-out.

Not that I'm saying Lomax is rubbish.. just that he's not as good as Eards. (In my opinion.)

Keep the Faith

Jeez Louise some people are quick to write players off, Eardley is easily one of our best prospects and I'd say worth £1million+, given the current price for young Welsh International full-backs.

I haven't written him off I just don't think he would be a massive miss in the same way Wellens has been as we have Lomax who I beleive would do a good job. Also, in all honesty, do you think Eards would be playing international football if he was English?

Finally I don't think we will get anywhere near £1M for him. I think more like £250K - £350K, and for what it's worth, if that was the case I would try to hang on to him.

In all honesty, do you think Eards would be playing international football if he was English?

I think he might be knocking on the door of the U-21s if he was English, I rate him that highly.

Anything less than £750k and I'd be hopping mad. Prefer we kept him, though.

Keep the Faith

I haven't written him off I just don't think he would be a massive miss in the same way Wellens has been as we have Lomax who I beleive would do a good job. Also, in all honesty, do you think Eards would be playing international football if he was English?

Finally I don't think we will get anywhere near £1M for him. I think more like £250K - £350K, and for what it's worth, if that was the case I would try to hang on to him.

Eardleys worth?....

Holden

Forbes

Clegg

Appleby

Murray

McDonald

Berehall

S.McNiven

Just a quick list of names off the top of my head of players who have played consistently or filled in during times of need at RB....

And Eardley....

Put the list above together in 1 RIGHT BACK (not other positions they play in usually...just at RB!) and you'd still be miles from Eardleys abilities in that position.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Personally, I think it would be foolish to cash in. He's young, decent at the level we play (and hopefully above too), I doubt is on extortionate wages, doesn't have a bad injury or disciplinary record, and could well get better with time. We may not be flushed with cash but I don't see that cashing in is necessary (at least until summer 2009 when he has a year left on his contract, and that's assuming he doesn't sign an extension).

Lomax and Black look like good prospects at full-back, but if there's one thing this season is likely to show us it's that strength in depth can make the difference between play-offs and mid-table finishes. For whatever reason you care to name (some kind of bizarre intransigence on Shez's part, lack of quality players, extortionate demands from available players, I've no idea) we don't have a great record of snapping up quality replacements in a hurry, so I'd be loathe to start selling the decent players we do have.