• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disappointing turnout tonight. Thought a lot more fans would have been interested.

Barry

Meant I won a prize in the raffle though :)

Good do but as you say shame about the turn out. Could it have been done in the Chron suite like the one in September that Channel M filmed though?

Disappointing turnout tonight. Thought a lot more fans would have been interested.

Barry

You say disappointing Barry, but I thought at least the club would have put a reminder or two on the fishul website tonight to drum up some interest. Also, OWTB is supposedly the official messageboard but hardly any mention of it all day (I've been on the MB most of the day with nothing much happening at work). I totally didn't realise it was on tonight and I was at a loose end so could have popped along.

So, more could have been done on yours AND the clubs side to promote it IMO. I'm a DJ and if I don't promote my nights properly including extensive hammering on the DAY of the event then no fecker would come along.

So yeah, snipey attitude a bit uncalled for there methinks, mate.

Would have helped if more people knew about it.

Absolutely. I'm really annoyed Barry has the gall to come here sniping, when absolutely SOD ALL* has been done to promote this, especially on the day itself. It helps to activate the mind before opening the mouth Barry.

I for one would most definitely have come along tonight had I known about it today. What's unforgivable in my eyes is that the club itself didn't do ANYTHING on the fishul site all weekend to make sure it was fresh in people's minds.

* EDIT: Well, actually it was mentioned at the bottom of an article in the Chron but that's still píss poor. Fishul website and OWTB is free and effortless promotion and lots of people look there all day so the word would have been spread effectively. Very disappointed in the club and the people who've organised it.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

Absolutely. I'm really annoyed Barry has the gall to come here sniping, when absolutely SOD ALL has been done to promote this, especially on the day itself. It helps to activate the mind before opening the mouth Barry.

I for one would most definitely have come along tonight had I known about it today. What's unforgivable in my eyes is that the club itself didn't do ANYTHING on the fishul site all weekend to make sure it was fresh in people's minds.

Not heard anything about it and ive been on here and on the fish site enough, oh i mean working today.

Absolutely. I'm really annoyed Barry has the gall to come here sniping, when absolutely SOD ALL has been done to promote this, especially on the day itself. It helps to activate the mind before opening the mouth Barry.

This is what i've never liked about stuff like this. There's hardly ever any notice or advertisement and then they're always annoyed at the shoddy turnouts.

Take away the exiles. The people who have other things in their lives apart from Latics related on a Monday night. How many people exactly do they want to turn up - and how many people do they expect at the next one when they make snipey comments at the low turnout, to the masses who if asked - probably 9 times out of 10, didnt even know it was on.

I didnt even know there was a forum on. I dont read the trust part of the forum. I cant remember the last time I visited the trusts website. I dont buy programmes - mainly because it's in the past just been repeated stuff you've heard all week on the website, papers, etc. I've seen absolutely zip on the official site which for years has been the first port of call.

This is what i've never liked about stuff like this....

I'll be emailing Alan Hardy about this tomorrow, especially concerning Barry's snotty attitude about it as well. I think that's got my back up more than missing out on it due to the absurd lack of spreading the word.

all i can say is "what forum?"

live local (ish!)...

attend ALL home games...

don't buy a programme...

don't buy the chron (not available in these parts!)...

read this site numerous times a day...

and i knew nothing about it! more than likely would of put a bit of effort into trying to get to BP too...

not sure who's to blame... maybe me with my eyes shut!.... but i genuinely do not recall it being mentioned anywhere..

Barry

Not really fair to post such an off the cuff criticism of fans. Like many others who've posted, I had no idea it was on.

It would have been promoted on OWTB if we'd known!

I did notice that Wardle mentioned it a while ago but being an exile I just couldn't make it. The thread should have been bumped on his behalf or something while he was in the States. Again, a bit harsh with that comment with such a lack of publicity!

Guest sheridans_world

I would like to point out that in the chaddy (where I sit) there were posters up about the forum on every square inch of free wall/annoying post that blocks the game.

However, I do think a lot more could have been done to promote/advertise the event (not just on OWTB). But I see where Barry is coming from.

It isnt a snipe at the fans, its a statement.

'More fans should have turned up', would have been an attack on the fans. Barry has simply posted an observation. People have then highlighted where it went wrong (In the whole advertising/promotion aspect), so come on, dont read into something that isnt there!

I would like to point out that in the chaddy (where I sit) there were posters up about the forum on every square inch of free wall/annoying post that blocks the game.

However, I do think a lot more could have been done to promote/advertise the event (not just on OWTB). But I see where Barry is coming from.

'More fans should have turned up', would have been an attack on the fans. Barry has simply posted an observation. People have then highlighted where it went wrong (In the whole advertising/promotion aspect), so come on, dont read into something that isnt there!

I'm sorry Simon but it looks like a snipe. Come on, not even a mention about what happened, and what people may have missed. Just a "I thought more would have turned up". It's a bit naive to suggest it's merely just an observation; he could be bothered to observe after the event, yet not bothered to put up posts to urge people down all day on Monday when people are viewing the site and MB?

So posters were put up in the Chaddy. Is that the only part of the ground where there's Oldham fans? There certainly weren't any from what I saw in the paddock. Nor on the car park on the way into the ground. And anyway, the most important bit of promo that SHOULD have been done which was on the club website and on here wasn't carried out.

If it wasn't intended to be a snipe then fine. I'll accept it. But I certainly aren't the only person who's felt it like a direct swipe at people that didn't turn up. And it's up to Barry to tell us it wasn't a snipe. I'm really quite irate by it.

Guest sheridans_world
I'm sorry Simon but it looks like a snipe. Come on, not even a mention about what happened, and what people may have missed. Just a "I thought more would have turned up". It's a bit naive to suggest it's merely just an observation; he could be bothered to observe after the event, yet not bothered to put up posts to urge people down all day on Monday when people are viewing the site and MB?

So posters were put up in the Chaddy. Is that the only part of the ground where there's Oldham fans? There certainly weren't any from what I saw in the paddock. Nor on the car park on the way into the ground. And anyway, the most important bit of promo that SHOULD have been done which was on the club website and on here wasn't carried out.

If it wasn't intended to be a snipe then fine. I'll accept it. But I certainly aren't the only person who's felt it like a direct swipe at people that didn't turn up. And it's up to Barry to tell us it wasn't a snipe. I'm really quite irate by it.

I agree it can be taken for a snipe, I dont think it is.

As for posters in other areas, I cannot comment as I dont sit there! I saw at least 10 of them in the chaddy yesterday, on the upright pillars, in the refreshment areas and in the toilets.

As I also said, I believe a hell of a lot more could have been done as far as publicity goes.

Aye just to add my agreement with other posters...I had no idea there was a forum tonight...I don't live in Oldham (but do live in the Manchester area) and read nothing on the fishal, on here and obviously in the Chron. Didn't see any posters even in the Lookers Upper on either of the last two Saturdays (though granted I wasn't looking).

Can't believe a representative of the club has the gall to come on here and take a dig at those who didn't turn up, when seemingly noone could be bothered to tell most fans that anything was going on.

Guest M_OAFC

I happen to know the people who did most of the organising for this event (they are from OASA) and happen to know it was publicised far better than everybody is giving it credit for.

1) It appeared in 2 or 3 separate matchday programmes

2) It was announced over the PA for at least the last 3 home games

3) It appeared in the Oldham Chronicle 3 or 4 times

4) It appeared in the Oldham Advertiser at least once

5) Posters were put up inside the ground

6) Posters were put up in various other busy public places such as Oldham's major supermarkets etc

7) Permission was sought to put posters up in some of the pubs near the ground but after the first couple declined (on the grounds that the venue of the forum constituted competition) this was abandoned.

8) A post about it was put on here, it just received very little response.

9) Stuart Vose was asked more than once to put it on the club website and seemingly didn't. Not having a go at the lad, he may have had a perfectly good reason why not for all I know but the organisers cannot control what goes on the club website, they can only make requests and if they are not acted upon for whatever reason there is little anybody outside the club can do about it.

I'm not saying the publicity effort was perfect, in my opinion more attention should have been drawn to the post on here for a start and perhaps there should have been more patience with the untried pubs as I suspect some would have been fine with it. But to suggest that it was hardly advertised at all is well wide of the mark. There is a limit to what you can do, you can put things in programmes and newspapers and make announcements etc but you can't make people read/listen to it. If people don't buy it/spot it/hear it etc it's a bit harsh to conclude that it therefore wasn't publicised.

If Barry's comments have made people irate then fair enough but bear in mind that the organisers might feel the same way about some of you. If you had taken the time and effort to organise and publicise an event as best you could only for the people whose benefit you went to the trouble for in the first place to suggest you had hardly publicised it at all, you would probably feel pretty irate about that too.

What forum? Oh well....

'More fans should have turned up', would have been an attack on the fans. Barry has simply posted an observation.

Exactly how could more fans turn up if they knew cack all about it? I didn't see an posters in the Chaddy on Saturday....but then, most posters I usually see are from months, if not years ago and I don't tend to look out for them anymore. Stuff on the main site or here though....different matter. It's pretty piss poor of the club to not be promoting this!!! But then.....promoting us lately just seems off the agenda!!!

If Barry wants to snipe (as it seems)....here's a snipe back....was it convenietly kept quiet to avoid a mass of awkward questions about the current status of the managers job, the stadium, TTA's possible waning interest/running things down behind the scenes, season tickets/possible lack of selling them this summer etc.

The truth is out there.....

1) It appeared in 2 or 3 separate matchday programmes Don't buy them

2) It was announced over the PA for at least the last 3 home games As many have pointed out in the Franny Ward post, you can barely hear the PA

3) It appeared in the Oldham Chronicle 3 or 4 times Don't live in Oldham so don't get this

4) It appeared in the Oldham Advertiser at least once Don't live in Oldham so don't get this

5) Posters were put up inside the ground See my reply to SW about posters in the ground

6) Posters were put up in various other busy public places such as Oldham's major supermarkets etc Don't live in Oldham so didn't get to see this

7) Permission was sought to put posters up in some of the pubs near the ground but after the first couple declined (on the grounds that the venue of the forum constituted competition) this was abandoned. Pathetic Sky watching, Red and Blue scum c***s! I reckon a few phone calls to Sky about pubs with dodgy satellite is in order!!!

8) A post about it was put on here, it just received very little response. If Barry was so concerned at the turn out, why not post something himself beforehand today. Or in the last few days??? Or anyone involved, for that matter

9) Stuart Vose was asked more than once to put it on the club website and seemingly didn't. This is a strange one....would've thought SV would've been right on it.....but whatever is the reason it didn't go up, it's not good enough

I read nearly all the news on the Latics that I can get....which is most of it, despite being outside Oldham. Didn't have a clue about this today and I bet 90% of fans didn't know either.....yet when we all were bashing our F5 buttons in January on deadline day to see if we'd made any new signings we got the title "LATICS MAKE NEW SIGNING" only to find out it was a group of girls dancing at the next home game. Oh well.....nothing surprises with us anymore!

Guest M_OAFC

Your answers are all perfectly valid explanations as to why you didn't know about it BB80 but with the exception of drawing more attention to the post on here what else could the organisers have done to get around any of those circumstances?

They don't operate/maintain the inaudible PA, they presumably can't afford to buy you a house in Oldham, they can't force you to read the posters that you choose to ignore (and I can understand why you do!) they are not landlords of the pathetic sky watching red/blue scum pubs you describe (I share your dislike for such venues) and they can't dictate to the club that their requests must be put on the website.

It is very regrettable that more people didn't know about the forum but I think the organisers attempts to publicise it were satisfactory.

Your answers are all perfectly valid explanations as to why you didn't know about it BB80 but with the exception of drawing more attention to the post on here what else could the organisers have done to get around any of those circumstances?

They don't operate/maintain the inaudible PA, they presumably can't afford to buy you a house in Oldham, they can't force you to read the posters that you choose to ignore (and I can understand why you do!) they are not landlords of the pathetic sky watching red/blue scum pubs you describe (I share your dislike for such venues) and they can't dictate to the club that their requests must be put on the website.

It is very regrettable that more people didn't know about the forum but I think the organisers attempts to publicise it were satisfactory.

Organizers maybe did all they could, but communication between them and the club is poor. Posters in the ground from years ago leads to apathy and is poor. Media relations are generally............................poor. All the fans on here can't be wrong. :gathering2:

Edited by mr_latics

Some of the criticism of the Forum organisers for not promoting the event enough is a bit unfair.

I definately recall reading Wardle's thread which gave date, time and venue details on here a couple of weeks ago.

I also heard it announced via the PA at the game on Saturday as well.