in dowies playoff season, we had what seemed like a brilliant scouting network. we had signings from non league, who performed excellantly that year for us. these players were also dirt cheap, and because of their history would have been paid a pittance. my question is how come we cant do this now? im not having "these players are one in a million". We found 2 in one close season so it can't be that rare. we also signed pogs from australia.

my other point on scouting, well signings in general is that same year we signed josh lowe from nowhere. not a big name player but his ability down the wings was tremendous. the final ball wasnt always there, but he beat his man every time. another player who wouldnt be on sky high wages. im not saying its easy to accomplish what dowie did in the transfer market, but it is posssable. i dont find it acceptable that "players are out of reach or we cant meet their wage demands, we proved that year with better use of the transfer and scouting systems it can be done.

granted the likes of armsrong, hill, holden and Wijnard all cost money, or demanded high wages, but in other positions we were able to identify our needs and fill problem positions with relatively cheap options. why do we seem unable to do that now? this, along with signing a physio who wants to be here are the two main things that need sorting in the summer.

in dowies playoff season, we had what seemed like a brilliant scouting network. we had signings from non league, who performed excellantly that year for us. these players were also dirt cheap, and because of their history would have been paid a pittance. my question is how come we cant do this now? im not having "these players are one in a million". We found 2 in one close season so it can't be that rare. we also signed pogs from australia.

my other point on scouting, well signings in general is that same year we signed josh lowe from nowhere. not a big name player but his ability down the wings was tremendous. the final ball wasnt always there, but he beat his man every time. another player who wouldnt be on sky high wages. im not saying its easy to accomplish what dowie did in the transfer market, but it is posssable. i dont find it acceptable that "players are out of reach or we cant meet their wage demands, we proved that year with better use of the transfer and scouting systems it can be done.

granted the likes of armsrong, hill, holden and Wijnard all cost money, or demanded high wages, but in other positions we were able to identify our needs and fill problem positions with relatively cheap options. why do we seem unable to do that now? this, along with signing a physio who wants to be here are the two main things that need sorting in the summer.

Yeah, but come on Phil... that was all solely because his brother was in non-league football... what are the chances of that happening again... I mean its not as if Shez has a brother in non-league football... is it? Eh.... :blink::unsure: Oh... yeah....

Its a good point Phil, and one I hope the club is addressing... the trialists and Yantorno seem to indicate the net is being spread a little wider, and that the plans are already in place for next season... we hope...

Edited by BigfinLatic

Yeah, but come on Phil... that was all solely because his brother was in non-league football... what are the chances of that happening again... I mean its not as if Shez has a brother in non-league football... is it? Eh.... :blink::unsure: Oh... yeah....

Its a good point Phil, and one I hope the club is addressing... the trialists and Yantorno seem to indicate the net is being spread a little wider, and that the plans are already in place for next season... we hope...

Correct. Yantorno from Gretna?????? In Scotland????? Where the f**k is that?!?!?! :shock: . Well, at least we are moving our boundary over a national border, not just the one that seperates Lanc's and York's. :grin:

Edited by Xander_OAFC

I would like to offer credit on that about Gretna, but I can't. Just don't agree that the net is being cast wider....more likely that Danny Hall, Muzza and Wadsworth all have been in touch and it's suited our cause to have a look and take on Yantorno.

And I'll wait till I see Yantorno play a good number of games before I say, "great move!"

Agree with the original post fully....I do think we could do with trying to look at non-league and maybe taking a cheaper punt.

i agree with you on most points, but josh low was signed from Cardiff and had played a few games for them.

Thing is, Dowie and the scouts didn't, I don't think, just go out and looked. I imagine they heard something, then went to look around. It's very hard to get players from non-league that'll cut it.

I know what you're saying, but it's very rare, and very hard. One good point being made is that we seem to be linked up in Scotland a fair bit. I also wouldn't be surprised if we put together a Scottish pre-season tour, where a good few games will be watched by the scouts.

In yesterday's programme, Maurice Malpas made a good point - few clubs in this division have a chief scout; we at least have on of those in the form of Graham Brown.

One simple solution, get to the reserve games, there's a guy who says he's a scout. People will know him, I bet. I find him hilarious, having been lucky enough to stand next to him at Doncaster last season, where he struggled to identify even our players! :lol:

i agree with you on most points, but josh low was signed from Cardiff and had played a few games for them.

sorry i worded it badly. where you correct me, that is exactly the point i make. there are players who play for other clubs both in our league and higher up the league structure that would do a job for us, and not cost the earth. just because a player comes from the premier/championship, doesnt mean they are on premier/championship wages. and just because they are cheap/reasonable doesnt mean they cant do a job for us. Josh Lowe is a perfect example of my point.

Peterboro seem to manage to get them from non-league so they are out there

Peterboro seem to manage to get them from non-league so they are out there

it all depends where your chief scout has been told to look,and the kind of player shez wants.

you are quite correct that there are players out there playing fantastic football at lower level than ours,but its just identifying them....

how many scouts do we have???

ii remember years ago scouts used to get expenses for going round trying to find decent players,and were given what amounts to a finders fee every time they unearthed one.

not sure if thats the case anymore and they expect a full time job on the payroll.

They are there and it sometimes is a case of taking a punt and hoping it comes off, after all...they won't be on much.

With regards to Wayno and One Size, in fairness the only reason we got them ahead of anyone else was because Bob Dowie was managing Chesham. I'm sure if mini-Shez knew of anyone at Barrow who would be good enough for this level he would tell Shez to give him a go.

As has been said, Peterborough have done it and it's paid off.

But they didn't get them for a pittance, did they?

Peterborough United strikers.

Craig Mackail-Smith - £125,000 Dagenham & Redbridge

Aaron Mclean - £150,000 Grays Athletic

Scott Rendell - £115,000 Cambridge United on loan with a view to a permanent transfer at the end of season

Rene Howe - Nominal fee Kettering Town (out on loan at Rochdale scored 6 in 14 appearances)

George Boyd - £260,000 Stevenage Borough

So with the exception of George Boyed i dont think they have paid to much out for top none league strikers.

Who may i add are all making it at league level.

Two more to watch out for are

John Grant - Aldershot

Steve Morison - Stevenage Borough.

Scott Rendell - £115,000 Cambridge United on loan with a view to a permanent transfer at the end of season

Rene Howe - Nominal fee Kettering Town (out on loan at Rochdale scored 6 in 14 appearances)

So with the exception of George Boyed i dont think they have paid to much out for top none league strikers.

John Grant - Aldershot

Peterbrough have a very rich owner. We don't have that money.

And I don't care what he says, Ferguson has other certain helpers apart from his Dad.

John Grant - Aldershot

Best part of a million shelled out, whereas we have only paid fees for Allott and Davies in our squad, with the pair coming in for less than £100k combined – it’s a world away from the money we have available.

I get the feeling that Essex and similar areas have a wealth of none-league talent mainly because there are very few proper clubs down there relative to what you find in the North and especially Lancs. There are clubs out there with decent crowds and a few quid to spend, so local players who might have a chance in the third or fourth division can earn good money playing part time. It’s questionable how many would want to take a pay cut like Ernie did, although if you don’t ask you don’t get.

I know we dont have Peterboroughs money,i just put down how much they paid for each of their non-league strikers.

We did have money to buy at least one striker before the transfer deadline went though,and that cost us dearly not getting one in

just like last season.

But to spend all of that money on a non-league striker is a huge gamble, and for every Wayne Andrews there's a Steve Whitehall.

The risk we face is that the top level of non-league players are often expensive (reputedly in many cases on a par with League Two wages) and the very best prospects are often subject to interest from several clubs. To find the real bargains you have to look lower still, but you need the scouting network and you need to believe that those players can make the step up.