Best season for years

It might have been ultimately disappointing, it might not always have been scintillating but at times more than half the team has been made up of players who have come through the club rather than the journeymen here for a year or so before moving on never to be remembered.

I'll settle for that

Guest oa_exile
It might have been ultimately disappointing, it might not always have been scintillating but at times more than half the team has been made up of players who have come through the club rather than the journeymen here for a year or so before moving on never to be remembered.

I'll settle for that

Well you are easily pleased :blink: I would settle for a team of mercenaries just to get me out of this League.

It's driving me Mad i tell ya :wacko:

I'll settle for that

At least we have givern the younger players some games which will help them to become better footballers. The likes of Smalley, Lomax etc... have shown that they are good enough to play in the play in the first team. This is a good base to build on next season for promation with 6 or 7 new faces.

Edited by spadam

At least we have givern the younger players some games which will help them to become better footballers. The likes of Smalley, Lomax etc... have shown that they are good enough to play in the play in the first team. This is a good base to build on next season for promation with 6 or 7 new faces.
Blimey! 7 new faces? That's half your matchday squad.

I hope we don't have another season of ripping the team apart to start again, as that would only suggest that

1) The injuries were not the reason behind our failure to improve on last season

2) We are going back to square one and the '3 year plan' hasn't worked

and

3) Either 7 of our promising youngsters aren't considered good enough, or 7 of our seasoned pros that are the nucleus of our promotion push aren't really as good as Shez led us to believe.

The squad's a good one - a lot of managers would give their right arm for it. Let's see what JS can do with it next season.

Edited by outoftheblue

Blimey! 7 new faces? That's half your matchday squad.

I hope we don't have another season of ripping the team apart to start again, as that would only suggest that

1) The injuries were not the reason behind our failure to improve on last season

2) We are going back to square one and the '3 year plan' hasn't worked

and

3) Either 7 of our promising youngsters aren't considered good enough, or 7 of our seasoned pros that are the nucleus of our promotion push aren't really as good as Shez led us to believe.

The squad's a good one - a lot of managers would give their right arm for it. Let's see what JS can do with it next season.

:lol:

Glad to see that my constant referral to a possible '3 year plan' has now turned into a statement of fact! I think it is logical that next season is the watertest, and if shez hasnt got this team playing by xmas there will be trouble - however I think it needs to be pointed out that this was never stated by the club or shez...

... just before anyone else refers to it to beat him over the head with...

Glad to see that my constant referral to a possible '3 year plan' has now turned into a statement of fact! I think it is logical that next season is the watertest, and if shez hasnt got this team playing by xmas there will be trouble - however I think it needs to be pointed out that this was never stated by the club or shez...

It's generally and widely accepted that a fresh team takes around 3 years to bed in (Or 3 months if you believe some Latics fans).

I think all the hype surrounding the "If we don't get promotion this year, then we'll certainly do it next year" comments has pretty much contributed to that view over the last few years.

It's generally and widely accepted that a fresh team takes around 3 years to bed in (Or 3 months if you believe some Latics fans).

I think all the hype surrounding the "If we don't get promotion this year, then we'll certainly do it next year" comments has pretty much contributed to that view over the last few years.

In this era of 1 and 2 year contracts I don’t think many groups of players get 3 years to bed in, most teams have at least one change of manager and most of a new squad in that time! I was thinking about that this weekend when I read an article about Arsenal – how many of their side that went unbeaten a few seasons ago are still there? Of course, that lack of continuity might be a reason why they are struggling to compete right at the top now, but it goes to show that having the same team for a number of years is a rare luxury.

what? how many loan signings have we relied on this season?!

Not sure - Your post, you supply the facts - possibly a dozen, but bear in mind we will now have Gregan, Stam, Crossley, Hughes, Liddell, Hazell, Thompson, Eardley, McDonald, Taylor, Davies, Allott, Smalley, Lomax and maybe Alessandra who could all command a first team place, along with one or two youngsters (E.g Black, Kelly, Chalmers, Wolfenden) to come through, I'm not sure we will be bringing too many players in that will slot straight in.

With the exception of possibly Thompson (Perhaps unfortunately), I'm sure there are a few fans out there that would be disappointed to lose any of those players without replacing them with the kind of class that we just can't afford.

In this era of 1 and 2 year contracts I don’t think many groups of players get 3 years to bed in, most teams have at least one change of manager and most of a new squad in that time! I was thinking about that this weekend when I read an article about Arsenal – how many of their side that went unbeaten a few seasons ago are still there? Of course, that lack of continuity might be a reason why they are struggling to compete right at the top now, but it goes to show that having the same team for a number of years is a rare luxury.
Yes quite.

Guest oa_exile
Not sure - Your post, you supply the facts - possibly a dozen, but bear in mind we will now have Gregan, Stam, Crossley, Hughes, Liddell, Hazell, Thompson, Eardley, McDonald, Taylor, Davies, Allott, Smalley, Lomax and maybe Alessandra who could all command a first team place, along with one or two youngsters (E.g Black, Kelly, Chalmers, Wolfenden) to come through, I'm not sure we will be bringing too many players in that will slot straight in.

With the exception of possibly Thompson (Perhaps unfortunately), I'm sure there are a few fans out there that would be disappointed to lose any of those players without replacing them with the kind of class that we just can't afford.

Left sided midfielder (winger) , central midfielder (playmaker) and another Striker are the three key/slot positions.

and a keeps!

the squad is looking very solid and the unexpected blooding of the younsters serves us well for next season. Depending on who is retained not many new faces will be required therefore more stability.

Next season will be a good un. i can feel it

Thse constant references to plans are indeed puzzling when there is no evidence whatsoever of the existence of any such plan and nobody at the club has ever said there is one.

Left sided midfielder (winger) , central midfielder (playmaker) and another Striker are the three key/slot positions.

Not to change the debate... but still struggling to find the need for this all connquering midfield playmaker... I think if Lids stay that is his role... I would much prefer investment in tricky, fast wingers and keep it solid in the centre.... I just cant see is playing 4-4-2 next year, think Shez now has us looking at the 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation, which is all about pace, and interchanging...

For me, with Lids, Macca, JP, Allott - and possibly JJ, our midfield is more than sured up.... with Lids, Smalley, Taylor and Davies who can play on the right... it just sees us woefully short on the left, with just erm... well... no-one who is a left wnger really....

Priorities for me, are a Striker, Left Winger, Left back, and a Keeper - then 1 in 1 out for anyone we lose...

Thse constant references to plans are indeed puzzling when there is no evidence whatsoever of the existence of any such plan and nobody at the club has ever said there is one.

:whoosh: Read what you reply to CJ

Not to change the debate... but still struggling to find the need for this all connquering midfield playmaker... I think if Lids stay that is his role... I would much prefer investment in tricky, fast wingers and keep it solid in the centre.... I just cant see is playing 4-4-2 next year, think Shez now has us looking at the 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation, which is all about pace, and interchanging...

For me, with Lids, Macca, JP, Allott - and possibly JJ, our midfield is more than sured up.... with Lids, Smalley, Taylor and Davies who can play on the right... it just sees us woefully short on the left, with just erm... well... no-one who is a left wnger really....

Priorities for me, are a Striker, Left Winger, Left back, and a Keeper - then 1 in 1 out for anyone we lose...

Blimey BFL!

Has your Missus gone off Lids?

KtF,

Derek.

Guest oa_exile

We have Lomax at LB and Black with come through next season, we have Taylor as cover on the left IF Shez brings someone in.

We have Lomax at LB and Black with come through next season, we have Taylor as cover on the left IF Shez brings someone in.

Lomax will be at right back, along with hazell... fair enough though, its not a priority for me, but think one is needed... Eards will go, and that will leave us with:

LB: Black, Lomax, Taylor

RB, Lomax, Hazell, Thompson?

Just think we might actually need another left footer other than Blacky...

Blimey BFL!

Has your Missus gone off Lids?

KtF,

Derek.

As i said Derek - I was having a bad day! ... and the arguement was about lids as a winger, which for me he just aint anymore... move him inside and i'm sure he could have a future with us... the operative word of course is COULD! :wink:

Guest oa_exile
I would like to dedicate this post to my editor and trusted posting assistant, Sheridan's World.

Is that another word for C_J's "Bitch" :grin: