Stadium Redevelopment and Oldham Council

We all know that the prevarications of Oldham Council have delayed, and almost derailed, Latics’ stadium development plans. On May 1st there are elections to the Council, and no doubt many people will have received leaflets from the various candidates.

In November 2007 I sent an email to my 3 local councillors, including Cllr Val Sedgwick (Lib Dem, Saddleworth West and Lees), asking her to support Oldham Athletic’s stadium redevelopment plans, which as we all know were originally refused by the local planning committee. As I’d not had a reply after more than 2 weeks I sent a written letter as a reminder to Cllr Sedgwick in December 2007. To this day I’ve still not had a reply.

Now Val Sedgwick is standing for re-election and asking for my vote. As she can’t be bothered replying to my correspondence, I can’t be bothered voting for her.

I’d also urge other Latics’ supporters to only support candidates or councillors who have supported the club’s vital redevelopment plans.

This is one of the few occasions our voices can be heard.

:comeon:

We all know that the prevarications of Oldham Council have delayed, and almost derailed, Latics’ stadium development plans. On May 1st there are elections to the Council, and no doubt many people will have received leaflets from the various candidates.

In November 2007 I sent an email to my 3 local councillors, including Cllr Val Sedgwick (Lib Dem, Saddleworth West and Lees), asking her to support Oldham Athletic’s stadium redevelopment plans, which as we all know were originally refused by the local planning committee. As I’d not had a reply after more than 2 weeks I sent a written letter as a reminder to Cllr Sedgwick in December 2007. To this day I’ve still not had a reply.

Now Val Sedgwick is standing for re-election and asking for my vote. As she can’t be bothered replying to my correspondence, I can’t be bothered voting for her.

I’d also urge other Latics’ supporters to only support candidates or councillors who have supported the club’s vital redevelopment plans.

This is one of the few occasions our voices can be heard.

:comeon:

ere ere, im more inclined to not vote full stop.

I'll be posting something elsewhere too nearer the time, but this is also a good time to remind people that the majority of the residents who were against the development are in Royton South. One of the two councillors who was at the forefront of the residents' rabble rousing was Phil Harrison. It just so happens that it is Harrison's seat that is up for election on May 1st.

For those Latics fans who live/vote in Royton South, this election is your opportunity to vote Harrison out. But please don't waste your time by voting Conservative. To get rid of Harrison, vote for Diane Williamson, Liberal Democrat. I'm not just saying this - she has a genuine chance of ousting Harrison, and few extra votes from Latics fans might just do the trick.

I cannot make any promises on Diane's behalf with respect to how she might view the development herself. As a good councillor, she would be obliged to take on board the concerns of locals. However, better a fresh start with someone new than re-electing someone who we know has 'form' against the club.

ere ere, im more inclined to not vote full stop.

But that's not excising your vote.....if everyone in a position to vote against those who tried to kill off the club, didn't, then you've little complaint really if they get in and start working against us again. After last year, this would stir the most dormant of feelings in me into getting my finger out and voting against. Sadly, I don't live in Oldham tho. You've got a vote! Use it I say!

Edited by boundaryblue80

I live in royton south, and il be definitley voting for anyone other than Harrisson (as long as im home from university)

I don't know if your too late but you could apply for a postal vote i know its an option for people who aren't in the area they vote in at the time of the election.

So, let me understand what I'm to do. I live in Royton South and see nothing from the Council except some road humps that ruin my car. I vote for the Lib Dems who like Labour have done nothing for the area I live in. Do I vote Conservative and go against my own instinct? Do I vote for a party who some wish to deny their democratic rights or abstain? It's a tough one but I do apologise when I say I do not condone electing somebody who will be as useless as the last just to oust another. They are all parasites and never complete what they were elected to do.

So, let me understand what I'm to do. I live in Royton South and see nothing from the Council except some road humps that ruin my car. I vote for the Lib Dems who like Labour have done nothing for the area I live in. Do I vote Conservative and go against my own instinct? Do I vote for a party who some wish to deny their democratic rights or abstain? It's a tough one but I do apologise when I say I do not condone electing somebody who will be as useless as the last just to oust another. They are all parasites and never complete what they were elected to do.

The gravy train is about to be derailed, pay back time bitches! Dontcha just love Democracy?!

woah woah woah, granted the ground redevelopment is a major issue for latics fans, but is that really a reason to vote someone in or out?last time the lib dems were in didnt they raise council tax by summat like 13%? i will be voting labour, always have voted labour, always will vote labour, although this is also because i cannot bear to vote tory.generally, i honestly believe oldham (as a whole) isnt to bad off and is more importantly heading in the right direction. instead of one or 2 schools to choose from i can safely think of about 7 or 8 off the top of my head that i would happily send my lad to in 2-3 years time, my council tax has just gone up 0%, and thats with an extra million quid invested in police numbers. another 3 or 4 years there will be metrolink, the new stadium, plus oldham will nearly have a shopping centre worthy of the name, (may take another year or 2 on top the 3 mentioned above).

another point,does anybody actually know phil harrison personally? i do and although he's a bit over the top at times, has been on the council for nearly 20 years. he must be shocking at it then.

the ground was always going to be passed second time round and if its true that only 350 flats are going to be built in the forseeable future, imo there was no need to risk it all for permission for 700, when it would be more likely to be more accepted in stages, ie build 300, let everybody see the traffic wont be a problem, add another X number of flats/houses/whatever.

and finally, unless you actually know a fair number of councillors, it is grossly unfair to throw slurs like "parasites" around.

woah woah woah, granted the ground redevelopment is a major issue for latics fans, but is that really a reason to vote someone in or out?last time the lib dems were in didnt they raise council tax by summat like 13%? i will be voting labour, always have voted labour, always will vote labour, although this is also because i cannot bear to vote tory.generally, i honestly believe oldham (as a whole) isnt to bad off and is more importantly heading in the right direction. instead of one or 2 schools to choose from i can safely think of about 7 or 8 off the top of my head that i would happily send my lad to in 2-3 years time, my council tax has just gone up 0%, and thats with an extra million quid invested in police numbers. another 3 or 4 years there will be metrolink, the new stadium, plus oldham will nearly have a shopping centre worthy of the name, (may take another year or 2 on top the 3 mentioned above).

another point,does anybody actually know phil harrison personally? i do and although he's a bit over the top at times, has been on the council for nearly 20 years. he must be shocking at it then.

the ground was always going to be passed second time round and if its true that only 350 flats are going to be built in the forseeable future, imo there was no need to risk it all for permission for 700, when it would be more likely to be more accepted in stages, ie build 300, let everybody see the traffic wont be a problem, add another X number of flats/houses/whatever.

and finally, unless you actually know a fair number of councillors, it is grossly unfair to throw slurs like "parasites" around.

Your council tax may have risen by 0% but both my father and father in law work for the council and they are slashing budgets hand over fist to meet the cost of not raising rates of CT. Services have already been decimated within this town and it is going to get worse with cuts right across the Borough.

Your council tax may have risen by 0% but both my father and father in law work for the council and they are slashing budgets hand over fist to meet the cost of not raising rates of CT. Services have already been decimated within this town and it is going to get worse with cuts right across the Borough.

without knowing what depts they work in, all i can say is that for years, a lot of council areas (highways is first to mind) tend to spend the remainder of the budget at the end of the fiscal year to justify that amount, there are a hell of a lot of departments/services under oldham council that could imo, do with a budget trim to concentrate on other areas.

there are a hell of a lot of departments/services under oldham council that could imo, do with a budget trim to concentrate on other areas.

True :ph34r:

QUOTE(footy68 @ Apr 17 2008, 08:23 AM)

Royton South too me. Same as. All have more bad points than good, then throw the redevelopment and their views on that and it all becomes a bit difficult who to pick.

Edited by RoytonBlueLad

All this 'Never have voted Tory and never will' stuff makes me laugh. People are prepared to ignore the rapid decline of the town and stick by the party that they 'Always have, always will' voted for rather than challenge the other parties to change for the better.

The LD's lasted one term because they were absolutely clueless, and still are. Yet there are people prepared to vote for them and fester in the outcome because either their parents always despised the Tories or because some Labour pillock led a revolt against the BP development. God knows why we allow everyone the vote if this is how it is used.

I drove up Waterloo St last night, and noticed all the regeneration from local government grants being carried out on private homes - when I saw all the "Vote Labour" signs in the windows of those same houses it brought it home who has the biggest voice in this town (Read into that what you like - I'll just state the facts).

I will vote for the change this town needs, and hold my hands up if it all goes belly up - but at least I'll be satisfied that I tried.

I drove up Waterloo St last night, and noticed all the regeneration from local government grants being carried out on private homes - when I saw all the "Vote Labour" signs in the windows of those same houses it brought it home who has the biggest voice in this town (Read into that what you like - I'll just state the facts).

I support your intention to vote for change and your other comments, but I have to stop you on this point.

Let's be clear about this. We're talking about Oldham's Asian population. The truth is that across the borough they're fairy evenly split between Labour and Lib Dem. Yes some areas are mostly Labour, but others (such as Westwood and Coldhurst) are mostly Lib Dem.

woah woah woah, granted the ground redevelopment is a major issue for latics fans, but is that really a reason to vote someone in or out?

That is fair comment. I would urge people to consider the development, and consider what they know about Harrison's involvement (remember he spoke AGAINST at the planning meeting), but you're right - that's just one issue of many that an honest voter should think about before placing that X.

I do remember the last time the Lib Dems had overall control. The budget deficit left by the previous Labour administration was so huge the Lib Dems had NO CHOICE but to increase Council Tax, and were extremely limited as to what they could actually spend.

I've also met Phil Harrison a few times. He is indeed an experienced councillor. But he's also an aggressive bully (a matter of public record), and I know for a fact there aren't many in council chambers who would mourn his defeat...

(I guess I ought to declare an interest here - my Dad is a sitting LD councillor. However my main interest here is the good of the club and a little revenge. Oh, and in some cases setting the record straight.)

Edited by garcon

The politicians and officers need to get a grip on what the people of oldham want not spending £100,000 on the new didiculously overpriced Borough logo.

Aye, I saw that yesterday and thought what a load of danglies however these things always cost about that amount, corporate branding innit, nice racket to get in to!

I can’t speak for the motivation of any particular councillors, but it’s a far cry from the days when they only got expenses and most were embarrassed to be seen to claiming anything much. Nowadays they basically get a salary. Two of my friends are councillors, one in a London borough and one in the Midlands, with one of them getting c£19k and the other £16k a year. The Midlands one is very committed to his duties, and probably would do it for free, but he is often in and out of work as he has some deep rooted mental health issues so the cash comes in handy. The other one is deeply cynical, he will probably get the local Parliamentary constituency when it comes up. In the meantime he views his salary from the day job, and the £19k he gets for about 5 hours a week at the Council as his pocket money to spend on his frequent visits to Italian prostitutes. The Public Service ethos is not all that it’s cracked up to be.

The politicians and officers need to get a grip on what the people of oldham want not spending £100,000 on the new didiculously overpriced Borough logo.

I received a quote on Tuesday morning from Sign UK on Manchester St. The quote was for the design of a new company logo produced in 4 formats plus all the reproduction rights (upon registration of course).

The cost? £45 !!

Does OMBC's figure of £100,000 cover the rebranding of all their vehicles and signs across the borough, and all their stationery? or is that a further expense?

If it does indeed cover these costs, I would still suggest that it could be done for one third of that. Someone needs to justify this unnecessary use of much needed funds.

Edited by outoftheblue

Not sure why they get such a good 'salary' elsewhere, but I can assure you they see nothing like that in Oldham.

There is a nominal payment of a few grand (I think) per annum that is intended to cover incidental expenses, each councillor has OMBC broadband installed at home, and there's the odd 'function' to attend with free grub. But I promise you, in terms of perks that's about it.

(And I'm reasonably certain my dad isn't visiting any Italian prostitutes! :laught16: )

OutoftheBlue - entirely agree on this logo business. Gross waste of money in my view. I don't live in the borough, and haven't been keeping up with the election campaign, so I honestly don't know the Lib Dems views on it.

Edited by garcon

Mark I fully accept what you are saying as i'm in same position, but to be fair its the controlling party that ultimately gets things done or not as at the moment I think the lib dems are 5 seats short of winning a vote. I have had a lot of contact with Barbara Beeley and Brian Lord in this constituancy but have never even had a dialogue with Cllr Sedgwick.

I received a noncommittal reply from Cllr Beeley and nothing from Cllr Lord.

I’ll be voting for a certain John Battye, who at least is a big Latics fan! It probably won’t make a lot of difference as the Lib Dems always seem to get in here.

But at least I’ve had my say. Ditto on the 'didiculously' overpriced logo!

:)

(And I'm reasonably certain my dad isn't visiting any Italian prostitutes! :laught16: )

I once jokingly (Honest!) told my dad I'd been round Oldham the night before and finished off at the Georgian. He replied "Bloody overpriced rubbish!"

After my initial shock at his seemingly educated view of Oldham's long established 'Massage parlour' it transpired that he thought it was just another of Oldham's overly priced Town Centre boozers.

Don't you just love old folk? :lol:

So, let me understand what I'm to do.

Well, to be honest, if that's in reply to my post, then you have misunderstood. My post was replying to the poster saying he actually wanted to vote against in protest, but couldn't be arsed. I was encouraging to. What I wouldn't do, is encourage him or anyone to change the vote they would wish to do.....merely encourage them to vote.

I hope those who don't normally vote, do go out this time and register what I would call "a protest vote"....as Prozac says, we live in a democracy and I'd like it to put the :censored:s up some of those who tried killing us off last year.....a bit like they put the :censored:s up me!

Edited by boundaryblue80

I'll keep this simple for you.

If you feel that a Councillor has represented your views well - vote for them.

If you feel that they voted in a manner that opposes your stance - vote for someone else.

If you vote for someone because you known them and because they have been on the council a long time, then you are wasting your vote my friend.

If the future of professional sport in Oldham is something that you feel is important for us and also future generations, then get rid of the politicians who fill these posts - regardless of how long they have been allowed to get away with mis-representing their voters.

For the record, "the ground was always going to be passed second time round" is a pathetic comment. Tell that to Brighton and Hove Albion fans.