Looking ahead

People know my thoughts on Sheridan, I really hope he gets his finger out this summer, if he stays? However,Next season, if he stays, will be his season. no shelter from the "inexpierience" brigade. He blamed the players again on Saturday, claiming these players are this, that and the other, come on Mr Sheridan, step upto the plate!!!! Last season the excuse was the play offs..... "we missed out on many targets because we didn't know which division we were playing in" thats not an excuse this year shez....

KEEP THE FAITH B)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People know my thoughts on Sheridan, I really hope he gets his finger out this summer, if he stays? However,Next season, if he stays, will be his season. no shelter from the "inexpierience" brigade. He blamed the players again on Saturday, claiming these players are this, that and the other, come on Mr Sheridan, step upto the plate!!!! Last season the excuse was the play offs..... "we missed out on many targets because we didn't know which division we were playing in" thats not an excuse this year shez....

KEEP THE FAITH B)

for once i agree eddie. I am definatly all in favour of shez, but i think if we find ourselves in the same position next year you will find many more latics fans wanting shez out. most fans have said tho that they will give him until christmas to get it right, alot have said until the end of next season. Personally I will give him until this time next year, but i have full faith that with the squad we are slowly building, and with a fully fit hughes, we will be up their next year.

Its a shame we now judge a manager on if we get promoted or not.......and not much else...

Anything less than a top half finish would have me worried but outside of that im resonably happy. You have to take in to account that we arent the only team in this league fighting to get out. Add on the prospect of Sheff Wed and Southampton being down here next year plus Forest or Leeds (maybe both) its going to be very difficult to ge up next term.

If we make the play offs I will be happy...top half finish and I wouldnt slit my throat...anything less and I would be asking questions....

Its a shame we now judge a manager on if we get promoted or not.......and not much else...

Anything less than a top half finish would have me worried but outside of that im resonably happy. You have to take in to account that we arent the only team in this league fighting to get out. Add on the prospect of Sheff Wed and Southampton being down here next year plus Forest or Leeds (maybe both) its going to be very difficult to ge up next term.

If we make the play offs I will be happy...top half finish and I wouldnt slit my throat...anything less and I would be asking questions....

Well said, i think some people feel we the opposition are there just to roll over and let us beat them half the time, id say at least 18 - 20 clubs at the start of each season in this league genuinly feel they could get promotion or at least top 6. The league might be poor standard wise (and we are not above this), but it is competitive. Many had Millwall to be right up at the top this season and look how they have done.

Let's get the excuses in early.

I'm just glad we've still got a club to watch etc etc ....

Although we'll probably never all agree on the Shez in/out issue, it seems many of us on either side of the happy clappers/moaning gits divide do agree that for one reason or another next season is a BIG one.

I agree it is time for Shez to show his mettle. He will have learned many lessons fro mthe past two seasons. Other things will hopefully play in our favour too - ideally player turn over this summer will be on our terms, we'll keep those we want and add three or four, and lose one or two we can cope without. We can rightly expect more from Alessandra and Smalley, but I want to see a little more squad cover. I'm glad we're looking to keep Gregan, Crossley and Liddell - but we need good cover for them cos I can't see any of them putting in a full season.

I don’t think Shez is the complete manager and I have my issues with him, but I don’t think we should think about getting rid unless we can up with a manager who can replace him who is remarkably better. Personally I don’t think there is anyone there unless were willing to take a risk in a newby who will probably take a couple of years to learn the ropes. We are living proof that continually changing managers does not work. Why on earth anyone thinks that another none-descript person will actually change this. Sheridan and TTA have brought relative stability to the club which we should be building on. With the injuries that we have had this year, I think at least we can be thankful that we’re not fighting for our League 1 lives. This is all supported by Leons thought on our side that basically shows a tight squad with a strong spirit. Good foundations me thinks.

1) You don't get rid of any manager unless you have somebody better lined up to replace him.

2) I agree 2008/9 is the nemisis moment for Shez. Top 6 is the only acceptable outcome.

3) I look at the squad and wonder who, assuming full fitness, I'd get rid of. Look at a typical teamsheet:

Crossley - keep

Eardley - keep (would take £500k and be happy for him to go!)

Lomax - keep

Stam - keep

Hazell - keep

McDonald - keep

Allott - keep

Taylor - keep

Liddell - keep

Hughes - keep

Davies - keep (as long as he tries to form a worthwhile partnership with Hughes)

Alessandra - keep (I'd love to see him play up front with Hughes)

Smalley - keep (as cover for Liddell, not as a striker)

Gregan - keep (not sure he'd make my first team though)

Thomspon - no idea - if he's fit I'd like to know if he's actually any good

Kalala - move him out as he's no idea how to pass the ball forwards

Wolfenden - not sure if he's going to make it but not really had a chance this season

So with so many 'keeps' I have to wonder why the side rarely gelled last season.

And my thoughts turn to the manager.

His job.

Solve it Shez.

it maybe a shame but at the end of the day its a results driven game,and if you dont produce the goods you are judged on that,this isnt any different for other clubs,its the same the whole leagues from top to bottom.

next season is his biggy,if he doesnt get it spot on people will judge him on that and his past failings,the interesting thing is that tta's are not saying its his big season,they are just letting him get on with it.

for me next season the play offs have to be the realistic aim,automatic would be a bonus,but i think a lot of people will forgive and forget if we dont go up,but play a full season of football how its supposed to be played,and not what we have had to endure this season.

the thing i personally dont want to happen is for shez to still be here playing this god awfull football for 5 years,its ok to give managers time but if it doesnt come off and things just carry on as this season then its just wasting everyones time.

onward and upward,things can only get better.

Let's get the excuses in early.

I'm just glad we've still got a club to watch etc etc ....

Im not getting any excuses in you silly man....Im stating my feelings on what I would be happy with next term....

I suppose its promotion or nothing for you......constructive as ever.....

KEEP THE FAITH B)

Shez knows this....see last nights chron and his comments.

1) You don't get rid of any manager unless you have somebody better lined up to replace him.

2) I agree 2008/9 is the nemisis moment for Shez. Top 6 is the only acceptable outcome.

3) I look at the squad and wonder who, assuming full fitness, I'd get rid of. Look at a typical teamsheet:

Crossley - keep

Lomax - keep

Stam - keep

Hazell - keep

McDonald - keep

Allott - keep

Taylor - keep

Liddell - keep

Hughes - keep

Davies - keep (as long as he tries to form a worthwhile partnership with Hughes)

Wolfenden - not sure if he's going to make it but not really had a chance this season

So with so many 'keeps' I have to wonder why the side rarely gelled last season.

His job.

Solve it Shez.

Can't disagree with any of this, other than I'd like more than £500k for Eardley if he had to go.

We have a very good squad there - they just need to understand each other and want to win.

Im not getting any excuses in you silly man....Im stating my feelings on what I would be happy with next term....

I suppose its promotion or nothing for you......constructive as ever.....

Surely you want to see your club progress? Another top ten finish isn't progress.

Crossley - keep

Lomax - keep

Stam - keep

Hazell - keep

McDonald - keep

Allott - keep

Taylor - keep

Liddell - keep

Hughes - keep

His job.

Solve it Shez.

With all due respect it is the squad you name above which has failed to get us any further than last season when we actually reached the play-offs.

Yes we have had bad luck with injuries to key players but i fear that unless we bring in some real quality then the above set of players will drop even further behind where we anticipate ourselves to be next season. It has been a tough league it has and with the teams that may come down and stay in this division we need to bring in quite a few quality players. Imo Lidds, Stef and Lomax are not good enough and then we have the likes of Greegs and Crossley who arent exactly spring chickens. If Eardley goes then what? Thompson has been awful and is injury prone. Davies and Hughes are quality but can we keep them fit and at the club if we dont meet their expectation? If everyone of the above was to stay at the club, imo that is sending out a confusing message that what we have done this season is acceptable, and to be honest it isnt as i think we have regressed somewhat.

Out of those players named above only Crossley, Eardley, Hazell, Allott, Taylor,Hughes and Davies would be in my first eleven.(initially) Id add Gregan to those and i know it wont happen but id look for new players for rest of team and keep Lewis, Deano and Mcdonald as squad players. That would mean au revoir to Lomax, Lidds, Wolfy, Kalala, Stam and Thompson. Again not going to happen cos Lidds and Stef been offered new deals i gather and im sure Shez will give Thompson time to get fit and prove himself.

I hate to be a doom and gloom merchant but i fear us losing Eardley, Hughes and Davies at some stage if results dont go our way and what will we be left with?

I just hope we dont do any worse than we have done this year but i would love to see us have a real go next season and that means getting in the right men.

Guest oa_exile
Surely you want to see your club progress? Another top ten finish isn't progress.

Progress for me is a Play off place , anything else next season is failure !

I expect us to be in the play off's nothing less.

With all due respect it is the squad you name above which has failed to get us any further than last season when we actually reached the play-offs.

Yes we have had bad luck with injuries to key players but i fear that unless we bring in some real quality then the above set of players will drop even further behind where we anticipate ourselves to be next season. It has been a tough league it has and with the teams that may come down and stay in this division we need to bring in quite a few quality players. Imo Lidds, Stef and Lomax are not good enough and then we have the likes of Greegs and Crossley who arent exactly spring chickens. If Eardley goes then what? Thompson has been awful and is injury prone. Davies and Hughes are quality but can we keep them fit and at the club if we dont meet their expectation? If everyone of the above was to stay at the club, imo that is sending out a confusing message that what we have done this season is acceptable, and to be honest it isnt as i think we have regressed somewhat.

Out of those players named above only Crossley, Eardley, Hazell, Allott, Taylor,Hughes and Davies would be in my first eleven.(initially) Id add Gregan to those and i know it wont happen but id look for new players for rest of team and keep Lewis, Deano and Mcdonald as squad players. That would mean au revoir to Lomax, Lidds, Wolfy, Kalala, Stam and Thompson. Again not going to happen cos Lidds and Stef been offered new deals i gather and im sure Shez will give Thompson time to get fit and prove himself.

I hate to be a doom and gloom merchant but i fear us losing Eardley, Hughes and Davies at some stage if results dont go our way and what will we be left with?

I just hope we dont do any worse than we have done this year but i would love to see us have a real go next season and that means getting in the right men.

To be honest i would keep 90% of the current squad...ok we havent really pushed for promotion this season but lets take into consideration a few things from this season....

Our best two strikers davies and hughes have probably only featured bout 50% of the season, our best centre back Gregan has missed 80% of the season and didnt get much chance to partner the awesome hazell.

We have had many other injuries throughout the season meaning we have had very little back up and have rarely been able to stick to the same team/formation for more than 1 or 2 games.

To be looking at finishing in the top 10 with this squad taking injuries into account i think even if we kept the exact same squad but kept them fit we wouldnt be far off the play offs next season. Add to that an extra 4 players with only 1/2 leaving we shouldnt be too far off a promotion push....

Edited by Blue_Guru

We have to aim for a playoff spot and anything less would in my mind be poor. Correct me if I am wrong but isnt next season number 11 in this division ? Finishing mid-table again is just not acceptable especially when the TTA have stated on many occasions that we need to get out of this division to give us a chance of paying our own way.

Crossley - keep

Lomax - keep

Stam - keep

Hazell - keep

McDonald - keep

Allott - keep

Taylor - keep

Liddell - keep

Hughes - keep

His job.

Solve it Shez.

Crossley - keep

Lomax - keep

Stam - keep

Hazell - keep

McDonald - keep

Allott - keep

Taylor - keep

Liddell - keep

Hughes - keep

His job.

Solve it Shez.

Can anybody explain the logic in keeping Liddell?

1) He's too slow to pass a full back.

2) He doesn't tackle.

3) He 'bottles' the big challenges.

4) He's 34 and coming back from a serious injury.

5) He was anonymous against Orient and truly awful against Northampton.

Stick with Smalley and give him support. We saw against Everton and Orient what he is capable of. Can you honestly see Liddell going on a run that got us the first goal against Orient? To keep Liddell is a backward step when the money would be better used elsewhere to improve the squad.

KEEP THE FAITH

I'd offer Liddell a one year deal, heavily weighted to pay as you play, but also with a coaching element. He has an awful lot of knowledge that the likes of Smalley, Taylor and Alessandra can learn from and I think he'd be (already has been) a great mentor for them.

In terms of first team appearances and impact, he may have little more than a cameo role - but he still has more quality in his right boot than the rest of the squad bar Hughes put together.

Thats such a black and white way of looking at it and typical of most football fan.

There is every chance we will be competing in a league next year made up of a mixture of:

Leicester

Southampton

Sheff Wed

Forest

Leeds

All of which will have a greater ability to attract the best players and to pay the most money.

Now no matter how good of a squad Shez puts together if we have a similar seasons with injuries then we could of move forward but just have had bad look.

These arent excuses, its called judging on the merits of the situation....

Its totally blinkered to say if we finish in the top ten we havent moved forward....

Edited by oafc0000

I think if we were a point away from the play offs, although disappointing, it wouldn't be a disaster as we had shown an improvement and would give us a good position to build on. Too many on here are so desperate for a quick fix by changing manager, but in reality it would set us back another 2 maybe 3 seasons in our attempts to get out of this god awful division. Of the current squad I think we should keep the majority, no point ripping the heart out of a team which ahs obvious potential. We've been really unlucky with injuries so a few quality additions and a decent physio, I think will be enough to get us into the play offs, maybe higher.

Crossley - keep (but maybe try and get in someone to be the first choice for next season as i'm not confident he will last)

Eardley - keep, can't believe so many are desperate to make a quick buck out of him. His performances are consistently underrated

Lomax - keep, unsung hero.

Stam - keep, Probably not costing us a huge amount

Hazell - keep, no brainer

McDonald - not sure, if we can get better in (jarrett) then he may be one to leave)

Allott - keep, Mark Allott's a football gnius

Taylor - keep

Liddell - get rid, only consider keeping if its on seriously reduced terms or as a player coach perhaps.

Hughes - keep

Davies - keep, loads of potential, coach him to get his head up and improve his decision making.

Alessandra - keep, gonna be a class act

Smalley - keep, solid, loads of potential, versatile.

Gregan - keep, proved against Leyton Orient why he is the best centre back in the division still.

Thomspon - get rid, just hasn't worked out

Kalala - get rid, not a bad, put in some great performances, but not good enough if we want to go for promotion

Wolfenden - give another season but ship out on loan to League 2. Potential is there just needs some first team football.