So.....let the transfer suggestions begin!

Here's a player I'd like to be brought in if it was financially sound:

Grant Holt, has been surplus to requirements at Forest this season and will certainly be surplus to requirements now they've been promoted and are unlikely to offer him a new deal. He's currently on loan at Blackpool but hasn't scored there and only made 3 sub appearances and I don't see them offering him a deal because next season will be even tougher for them and they'll want to sign players of a higher quality. I think he'll stay in League One so who does he sign for? I'd like it to be us, he's a strong player and is difficult for defenders to handle, he was Forest's top scorer last season and has been unsettled at Forest for a while due to him and Calderwood not getting along.

A foreseeable problem I think is Doncaster, if they stay down. They'll be on the prowl for a striker and I reckon they'd be in there in a shot offering him better terms. Funnily enough Doncaster don't have a 10+ goal striker this season.

Thoughts and suggestions?

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

no thanks - holt is just a clumsy fat lump for me, never been impressed with him when ive seen him and dont get all the hype around him. Id like to see bishop from bury next year fee permitting of course, or if they dont make it liam dickinson from stockport, tall 6ft2, pace and young, got about 18 goals already this season. Failing that a striker with a bit of experience who can be back up for davies and hughes - i see lewis as the only other back up as for me smalley is best on the right and wolfy isnt up to it so for me another striker is a must. Targets for me:

GK - Fleming gretna good up and coming keeper highly rated despite gretna's position and would do well with MC as coach/Gilks from norwich not getting a look in.

LB - Andy Holt always been decent and can play lb or lw, experienced

LW - Schofield from hudds or someone else

2/3 CM'S (depending on kalala moving on) - Livermore/?/?

ST - possibly clarke or the 2 mentioned above preferably.

then with the versatility(sp?) of our young players i think we'll have a well covered squad especially as we have black and chalmers as additional backup if needed. Like to think we can get the above in but i doubt it which is a shame - we NEED strength in depth off our own backs instead of going into the season hopin person x stays fit and relying on loans all the time.

anyway we'll see..... thoughts?

Looking at the squad and hoping everyone stays we have ...

Keepers: Norm, new understudy, Josh Bell.

Full backs: Kelvin Lomax, Paul Black, left back

Centre backs: Gregan, Hazell, Stam, Thompson, cover if Thompson leaves

Midfield: Eardley, Allott, Liddell, creative/attacking midfielder + cover

Wide: Taylor, left winger

Strikers: Davies, Hughes, Alessandra, Smalley

Looking at that, we don't need strikers - IF Hughes and Davies gave us a full season they'll get 25+ each.

I reckon 5 players - keeper, left back, that elusive attacking midfielder, midfield cover, a left winger ... plus a centre half if we offload Thompson.

I'm also assuming we'll offload Wolfie, possibly on loan for the season.

As for targets... I'll need to think about that.

I think the only players we would need to bring in if we keep the squad we've got would be Livermore, Jarrett, a new 'keeper and possibly one more midfielder (centre-mid for diamond midfield, left-mid if we use wingers). If we went for the diamond midfield our squad would have enough players to fill all positions;

Goalie's: Crossley, New GK, Bell

Right-back's: Eardley, Lomax, Hazell

Left-back's: Livermore, Lomax, Black

Centre-back's: Gregan, Hazell, Stam, Thompson, Livermore

Defensive-mid: Allott, Livermore, Gregan, (Chalmers?)

Centre-mid: Allott, Taylor, Jarrett, Livermore, Eardley, Chalmers, New CM

Attacking-mid: Jarrett, Liddell, Taylor

Striker's: Hughes, Davies, Alessandra, Smalley, Wolfenden

Here's what it would look like for a conventional midfield four:

Goalie's: Crossley, New GK, Bell

Right-back's: Eardley, Lomax, Hazell

Left-back's: Livermore, Lomax, Black

Centre-back's: Gregan, Hazell, Stam, Thompson, Livermore

Right-mid: Taylor, Smalley, Liddell

Left-mid: New LM (Schofield?), Taylor, Livermore

Centre-mid: Allott, Taylor, Jarrett, Livermore, Eardley, Chalmers

Striker's: Hughes, Davies, Alessandra, Smalley, Wolfenden

Although it's only a squad of 22, we have cover in all positions thanks to the versatility of these players. If it gets really desperate then we can use the loan market or maybe the youth system again. IMO we don't need another striker unless we let Wolfy go as I feel it would be a waste of a wage, and Wolfy could easily do a job as our 5th choice striker.

IMO there is enough in the squad to mount a serious promotion challange if we get people in, in the right areas. And you have highlighted them. Its not always about having top players, but having the good squad to have the right player playing in the right position.

The attacking midfielder - Spring from luton? Jarrett?

Strikers - It depends on what shez wants. Seems to want a hold up man, but I think Hughes and Davies do that well. I'd like to see Keigan Parker. Quick, "wins" free kicks and takes the pressure off. Creates a lot of chances with movement for others.

Constantine? Holt?

Left wingers - Schofield Hudds? Rundle - Dale?

Left Backs - Goodall from Luton? Livermore? To be honest Livermore didn't realy impress me.

Those are the only names I can think of at the moment that we could realistically get.

The only 2 I would sugest would be Gary Roberts who can play on either wing, available from Ipswich, was a very good player with Accy stanley a few years ago, and for a playmaker would go for Lee Frecklington from Lincoln chips in with a few gals and is far to good for league 2.

I really hope we don't just go with Hughes, Davies, Lewis and Deano. Theres still big doubts over Hughes, Davies has been hit and miss infront of goal and the other two are still very young. A new striker is a must.

Would agree with that. This season has proved why we can't rely on them four alone. No matter on how good we might think Lewis and Smalley have coped, 4 goals is not a good return. Potential yes but we need someone else.

We need an extra experienced striker to compete for place wouldn't rule out Beckett (Don't shoot me for that suggestion) returning on a 2 year deal

:rifle: Greganator

Noooo.....

I really hope we don't just go with Hughes, Davies, Lewis and Deano. Theres still big doubts over Hughes, Davies has been hit and miss infront of goal and the other two are still very young. A new striker is a must.

The only doubt about Hughes would be his fitness. If you have any concerns about his playing ability then you can't have been paying much attention.

:rifle: Greganator

Noooo.....

The only doubt about Hughes would be his fitness. If you have any concerns about his playing ability then you can't have been paying much attention.

Without going down the same route yet again, I think we need to see a bit more than a good 5-6 game scoring run before he can be announced as the second coming

Without going down the same route yet again, I think we need to see a bit more than a good 5-6 game scoring run before he can be announced as the second coming

It's not the scoring run, it's the level of skill and drive he showed during that run.

imo to get promoted you need 4 decent strikers all vying for places so get 1 more in and then another on loan/in the 1st window if allessandra (or one of the other two) doesn't perform.

imo to get promoted you need 4 decent strikers all vying for places so get 1 more in and then another on loan/in the 1st window if allessandra (or one of the other two) doesn't perform.

midfield could be sorted if eardly stays and changes from right back to midfield.seems to be doing ok there.

i would like to see constantine over clarke,and someone like parker or jevons........would also like us to sign livermoore and jarrett and possiblt giddings....also possible shout if rochdale miss out le fondre and bishop from bury.

i know we aint got a bottomless pit,but there should be plenty of deals out there.

What about Steven Gillespie? He looked quite impressive last weekend.

He looked very impressive and scored yesterday too.

Hughes - first choice for me when fit.

Davies - has pace, skill and can finish. Lazy so and so and doesn't work well alongside Hughes.

Alessandra - links up well with the midfield and was forming an excellent partnership with Davies before the latter got crocked.

Wolfenden - not sure he's going to make it. Get him loaned out in League Two until Xmas.

Smalley - he's better on the right than up front. Maybe the 2 goals in the last week or so will prove me wrong, but I'm more comfortable with hm out wide.

Based on that summary, we need:

1) Another striker as we only really have 3

2) A strike partnership. Ideally this should be Hughes/Davies but as that didn't seem to work, which one should play alongside Alessandra?

I think we may be seeing Ronnie Wallwork in our midfied next season. Sure Shez will be back in for Leon Clarke and Danny Schofield would be a good signing for the left.

Clarke is developing something of a supersub reputation. socred again within 5 mins of coming o at the end of the game. Something of a hero I think as the final goal in the game that kept them up!

Hopefully a Gary Mac style parting gift!!!!