Todays Ernies Benefit Game

Over 1400 people attended today, some from as far away as Boston who put on a special coach.

They mentioned that over 8 k was raised from admission and programme sales ..

Well done and a big thank you to all that made the game and to those who didnt but have made a donation.

It was a good match - Eyresy in goal making some good saves, Chrisy Waddle look a long way past his best :grin: Chrissy Taylor showing Waddle how do move down the wings on the left and RIGHT :shock:

Some bigs names played today Luther Blissett or after today I'll remember him as Luther Miss- hitt !

It was a fab match, good to see all the old players!

Was it just me who thought it was strange that Richie Wellens was playing but didnt play for Donny against Sounthend on Friday? Something strange is going on there.

Wellens was not even in the squad friday night as he was injured !! But ok to play at least an hour today

Strange that one hey :wink:

Wellens was not even in the squad friday night as he was injured !! But ok to play at least an hour today

Strange that one hey :wink:

Wellens and Sheridan was having a very friendly looking chat in the second half!

I was gutted Eyres played in goal and I must admit I had a tear in my eye during Ernie's speech at half time. I'd also forgot how bloody big Fitz Hall is!

Had a cracking day. My legs were knackered from the fans game but i still managed to get out at half time with the other mascots who turned up. Cant beleive Rochdales other mascot didnt have the decency to turn up for one of his past players.

Everyone was fantastic and made ALL the mascots feel very welcome.

Belting day which did exactly what it was aimed to do, it made people aware.

Oh........And Shez's lad hit me square in the spuds with a shot. He's got a belting shot on him. :blush:

The game was pretty dull in all honesty, but not really the reason why I or the other 1400 turned up. Ernie came very very close to breaking down during his speech.

Highlights were Tommy Wright skinning Stam, That asian bloke being dudded and Hughesy's overhead own goal followed by a repeat of his 1st goal for the club against bristol city . Franny was pretty harsh with alot of his comments.

The game was pretty dull in all honesty, but not really the reason why I or the other 1400 turned up. Ernie came very very close to breaking down during his speech.

Highlights were Tommy Wright skinning Stam, That asian bloke being dudded and Hughesy's overhead own goal followed by a repeat of his 1st goal for the club against bristol city . Franny was pretty harsh with alot of his comments.

Which comments were that then?

massive thank you to evry single person who turned up today, also the people who drove up and paid there fiver but couldnt make it. we were really chuffed to get 1500 people in and should hopefully reach approx 10k in donations from today (gonna take some time to count all them coins in the morning!!!).

all the lads who played really did themselves proud and tried to entertain on what was a scorching hot day.

ernie was really overwhelmed with the love and support he received and it made all those hours of hard work to stage the game well worthwhile.

thanks again

martin thomas

Thought it was fairly entertaining really. A few good comic moments, a few good moves from former players and other non-latics ex pros.

I'd suspect franny had more idea of what the No.6 would be bothered about than those that are bothered on his behalf. Bet franny wasn't getting paid though.

Hope Ernie can get through this...................

Oh........And Shez's lad hit me square in the spuds with a shot. He's got a belting shot on him. :blush:

He scored the winning penalty in the shoot-out, ater his dad had hit the post.

Well done Chaddy for teaching that young girl a lesson that if she is seen at BP in a ManUre shirt, she can expect to be ridiculed! :lol:

Great entertainment and to see all the old boys and a few tv peeps as well - my fave moment was the street cars cabby doing stammy completely and then being de-briefed by wellens - I too had a tear in my eye at ernie's speech - he seemed completely overawed by the turn out and applause - really put perspective on things and made all the goings on of the premiership ponces later on seem somewhat trivial - a good turn out, good laff and tremendous show of support to the fastest milkman in the west - ernie a fighter all the way & true latics legend!

One of the better comic moments was Waddle puttin the Latics fan on his harris only for the Latics fan to do likewise to Waddle later! It was hard am sure for all Tics there not to feel the lump in't throat to see a thin Ernie with his trademark smile on the pitch applaudin those that were there for him and proud to be. Top day all round and a massive well done to all those that made it possible, All take a bow. Likewise all who contributed to Ernie's fund up and down the country....take a bow.

Remember folks it doesn't stop here if you want a day out and again wish to contribute. Jacko's organised a match at Hurst Cross, home of Ashton United involving your very own OWTB side. Again donations on the door to attend with raffles, a landlords penalty shootout (where you can sponsor said landlords) and refreshments throughout the day. Again I wish to go on record to congratulate Daran & Shaun for their efforts in gettin this show off the ground. The many hours visiting companies and shops to obtain raffle prizes and donations, doing posters and gettin local landlords involved. This all takes place this Saturday the 16th. Yes it's cup final day and if you want to do both Ashton United clubhouse offers good screens.

Jacko.....get a list of your raffle prizes up. If anyone cannot make it am sure a raffle ticket can be made available to you.

It was great atmosphere and a great day.

My sister used to work for the club and knew Ernie personally. And as she said, you'd be having a laugh at the players and having a great time, then suddenly you'd remember why you where here and it brought a lump to your throat! :(

I'm glad I went and even gladder (is so a word) that so much was raised for such a good cause! :)

what about the tshirts!?

Aren’t they from the Club shop?

Sounds like a great day, wish I’d been there to see Mark Hughes score his first goal at BP. Chris Waddle was awesome in the Allstars game and I’d have loved to see him play again, even though I think his legs might be starting to go :wink: Congratulations are also due to the OWTB FC boys and their counterparts from Rochdale who raised £170 from their game in the morning :applause1: