Very good days trading for Latics

We've signed a young keeper who has had rave reviews and a youngster from man united who turned down a deal with QPR. To be honest I'm very pleased. I know people go on about experience, but I want to see players who's future's are in football, not their past's. Allott, Gregan, Hazell, Crossley and Liddell have enough experience to offer, I want to see hungry players who want to do something with Latics and the noises these lads are making are all positive so far.

Not sure sure where Lee is going to play, whether he be the creative midfielder we've been looking for is he the full back? Who knows?

Signs are positive though.

We've signed a young keeper who has had rave reviews and a youngster from man united who turned down a deal with QPR. To be honest I'm very pleased. I know people go on about experience, but I want to see players who's future's are in football, not their past's. Allott, Gregan, Hazell, Crossley and Liddell have enough experience to offer, I want to see hungry players who want to do something with Latics and the noises these lads are making are all positive so far.

Not sure sure where Lee is going to play, whether he be the creative midfielder we've been looking for is he the full back? Who knows?

I agree almost 100%. Trouble is i think latics are going to be used as a stepping stone once again.

I agree almost 100%. Trouble is i think latics are going to be used as a stepping stone once again.

To be fair if a young lad didnt view a league one team as a stepping stone I wouldnt want them at the club....who the hell wants to play in league one ?

To be fair if a young lad didnt view a league one team as a stepping stone I wouldnt want them at the club....who the hell wants to play in league one ?

Absolutely. We need players that are better than League One if we are going to get out of it. We want players with ambition to play at a higher level, and hopefully they will get that opportunity with us.

I personally think Mr Lee will play in centre midfield as a creative midfielder.

SS

Thats what happens think about it. What would you pefer playing for Oldham at say for example £2000 or go to Sheffield Wednesday for £7000

Exactly. League one can be used as a stepping stone with Latics? But regardless...

I'd much rather have players here who go on to bigger things without latics, than players that dont. It means we've bought good players who have done well with us. Much better than having players who dont.

Isn't the idea that they want to play at an higher level....preferably at the same club....ala promotion. That's the sort I think is being suggested.

For me, judgement is reserved on the following signings. Good that they're young but there's no way of telling if either will be success (one that could be the next Clegg or Wood...hope he's a Wellens tho...and the other who played for the worst ever SPL team...jury's out!) We shall see.

I'd like us to be looking at someone like Robertson next...rate that lad highly and think he'd be perfect for us. If all (or a 75% let's say) come off as successes, they'd be great squad additions to what we've got.

Fleming has signed a 2 year deal and Lee for 3 years.

This is building for the future and far better IMO than short term loanees like in the past.

That's probably the best bit of EARLY business I can ever remember at the club.

Both players were being chased by a number of bigger clubs and come with a good pedigree.

I can't beleive it, the season isn't even over yet and we've already got a couple of new faces.

We're normally waiting until July before the action starts and hopefully means that for a change, we'll have the full squad for the season sorted before pre-season training starts.

A couple more signings and we'll be ready to give it a real go, I think this shift in direction by the club should be applauded!!!

Isn't the idea that they want to play at an higher level....preferably at the same club....ala promotion. That's the sort I think is being suggested.

For me, judgement is reserved on the following signings. Good that they're young but there's no way of telling if either will be success (one that could be the next Clegg or Wood...hope he's a Wellens tho...and the other who played for the worst ever SPL team...jury's out!) We shall see.

I'd like us to be looking at someone like Robertson next...rate that lad highly and think he'd be perfect for us. If all (or a 75% let's say) come off as successes, they'd be great squad additions to what we've got.

agree on robertson.....hes not going to get many chances next season at sheffield,be a good addition.

That's probably the best bit of EARLY business I can ever remember at the club.

Both players were being chased by a number of bigger clubs and come with a good pedigree.

I can't beleive it, the season isn't even over yet and we've already got a couple of new faces.

We're normally waiting until July before the action starts and hopefully means that for a change, we'll have the full squad for the season sorted before pre-season training starts.

A couple more signings and we'll be ready to give it a real go, I think this shift in direction by the club should be applauded!!!

Agreed! In Shezza first season he ended up scurrying around for players to bring in just b4 the start of the season and we ended up woth Dabo! Second season he managed to do business with time to go but to sign these 2 young uns up so early could be genius and great moves. All the people that moaned about not bringing anyone in in January - I think he has always had these lads in mind - just had to wait for contracts to run out - nice one Shezza, gonna be a long pre-season!!!

Guest oa_exile

agree on robertson.....hes not going to get many chances next season at sheffield,be a good addition.

I would like to think we are aiming a little higher than Robertson :blink:

Not a bad player but we need someone more proven , IMO humble opinion of course :)

I would like to think we are aiming a little higher than Robertson :blink:

Not a bad player but we need someone more proven , IMO humble opinion of course :)

Agree, Deano and Lewi have made massive strides in the last 6 months, surely we do not want to stump their growth into first team squad members/regulars. Personally I think we have pace, fox in the box, off the cuff type strikers but we still need an out and out target man imo, not to perhaps play every week but a useful option particularly away from home and when teams come and park the team bus in front of the Chaddy End goal for the last 20 mins. Would love to see either of the Leons here.

I would rather see someone with plenty of pace, a clever player who is direct. Hughes and Davies both hold the ball up well. I'd rather see someone who takes the pressure off by "winning" free kicks and gives the opposition a constant threat. Keigan Parker.

But - I do understand your reasons for another type of striker.

Edited by pukka

I'm pleased that Latics have been active this early, and it shows that despite what some think, the management were hard at work preparing before the season ended.

No-one knows how this will turn out, other than indications from what other fans have said on messageboards, which is always to be taken with a shovelful of salt IMO. What can assertain from it, and especially from Lee is that Kalala is probably close to finding a club. I feel Lee is a cheaper option to Livermore, so am still expecting a natural left winger/full back type player, creative midfielder and striker to arrive yet.

Glad we have the goalie situation resolved now. Good competition is vital and I'm sure Norm will miss a few games through injury this coming season. All in all, a promising start to the summer.

I would rather see someone with plenty of pace, a clever player who is direct. Hughes and Davies both hold the ball up well. I'd rather see someone who takes the pressure off by "winning" free kicks and gives the opposition a constant threat. Keigan Parker.

Do you not think we already have that in Proper 'Bo? See where you are coming from and I wouldn't be gutted to see someone like Parker here. But I think priority should be a big lad. I hope we do sign another striker as Hughes and Davies cannot be relied on to stay fit for a full season and I feel Deano is more of a winger. So that leaves Lewi (Wolfy too, but not enough of a presence) and it'd be unfair to rely on him too heavily, so another striker with some sort of pedigree is a must.

Edited by oafcprozac

Do you not think we already have that in Proper 'Bo? See where you are coming from and I wouldn't be gutted to see someone like Parker here. But I think priority should be a big lad. I hope we do sign another striker as Hughes and Davies cannot be relied on to stay fit for a full season and I feel Deano is more of a winger. So that leaves Lewi (Wolfy too, but not enough of a presence) and it'd be unfair to rely on him too heavily, so another striker with some sort of pedigree is a must.

I completely agree. I'll be completely loving it if we see someone like Consantine or Leon Clarke sign up. For me we'd then have the complete attacking strikeforce.

Not for me, but thats just me. Davies is about 6ft 2, hughes holds it and brings people in as well as anyone I've seen. Ok, Davies is quick, but he's not as smart as parker (I mean at winning free kicks etc - there arn't many people thicker than parker!). Also when we have a big bloke up front, we tend to bypass the midfield and results aren't as good.

But thats just IMO.

We definately need a tall striker who will just play down the middle. I've never seen a Latics strike partnership that plays so far away from eachother than Davies and Hughes. Both like to go out wide, especially the former, which is fine but there needs to be some sort of presence in the middle that can act as a 'go between' the two, or better still can stick it in the net himself. Either of the Leon's would do this.

Well - We didn't put the ball on the deck most of the time. We did early on granted. From Xmas last year we starting lumping it, but I can undertsnad your point. It's just what I'd rather see.

I'm very happy with the two new lads. They may be young, yes, but both are highly-rated, so it's good that we haven't passed on the oppurtunity. In terms of defence, I don't think that's an area where we need too much experience, so having a young full-back - if that's where he's gonna be deployed - is excellent. However, Lee did seem to lean towards wanting to play in the middle of the park. Either way, he gives us options, and more importantly, real competition.

As for Greg Fleming, well several clubs were after him, so it shows that more coaching staff besides Shez and Tommy rate him. At least we've got a 'keeper, possibly on the bench, who has played a full season in goal for another club, so he's got some experience. He's supposedly one of the few bright things to come outta Gretna's saddening season.

Like I, and others, have said, it shows that we're not hanging around for all the lads to return from their various holiday destinations. When they do come back for pre-season training, we already know we've got at least two lads into the side. We've already got two extra players in - we may have already signed a player to replace Gaz Macca. The way Tommy was talking, it seems as though they've been looking at adding players for this season since January - again, showing that we're not allowing all the decent frees to be snatched. I have a feeling we'll have one, maybe two more signings within the week.

As for those already getting their early digs in about these two lads coming in and seeing us as stepping stone, you should really give them a chance, stop tarring every young player that drops down a division or two with the same brush, and develop some form of positivity. How the hell are they gonna settle knowing that as soon as they arrive, some fans are jumping on their backs?

On the Robertson front, well we didn't get enough of a look at him, obviously as he went back to SheffUtd earlier than expected. However, if we do sign a striker, I think he's bound to be relatively experienced. We've got enough youth in that department, so anyone younger than 23-ish would be a punt. I do think, though, that if we had all our current strikers fit, we have what we need. There's that strength, a bit of height, and some real pace. One injury, however, would put us in a little trouble, as with the case all this season, so a striker will more than likely be signed.

Relying on the loan market is foolish, so two early signings in very encouraging, IMO.