So Huddersfield sold 16,000 season tickets

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That makes a bit more sense, any idea how many were sold at £125 and £175 then? And did the chairman say that they'd met last year's season ticket sales figure or the full season receipts from home areas?

Dean Hoyle said we would have to sell 16000 to break even as such but he was willing to make up the shortfall .

Seems like a genuine person and has got more things into motion in a short time than anyone else for a long time .

He has been a lifelong townfan and was sat in the stands last year where he has had a season ticket for many a year , he runs the Cardfactory chain supposed to have a few quid .

End of the day I dont see Huddersfield pushing for promotion next season..... There cheap season ticket is buying them access to watch a firmly fixed mid table side at best.

On the other hand ou £300 season tickets are hopefully paying for another promotion push this year....

I know where I would rather be sat next season....:)

End of the day I dont see Huddersfield pushing for promotion next season..... There cheap season ticket is buying them access to watch a firmly fixed mid table side at best.

On the other hand ou £300 season tickets are hopefully paying for another promotion push this year....

Season ticket income will have veery little to do with their chances of promotion. The new chairman has made it clear that he will be financing purchases of ""quality" players and Ternent is a good motivator. A top six finish is a possibility .

Season ticket income will have veery little to do with their chances of promotion. The new chairman has made it clear that he will be financing purchases of ""quality" players and Ternent is a good motivator. A top six finish is a possibility .

Dosent income and max wage bill go hand in hand these days to insure clubs are run correctly ?

Anyway...if Hudds finish in the top 6 this year I will show my arse on the town all steps :D

They are a LONG way off a decent side....imo

Edited by oafc0000

Dosent income and max wage bill go hand in hand these days to insure clubs are run correctly ?

Anyway...if Hudds finish in the top 6 this year I will show my arse on the town all steps :D

They are a LONG way off a decent side....imo

Max wage bill/salary cap means very little.....and there are a hell of a lot of other teams in this league who are a LONG way off a decent side.

:lol:

I havent bought a season ticket but would definitely buy one if there was an offer such as that. I also know at least 10 people that would do the same. With the right advertising i really think this would work.

Plus you would sell more food/drink on match days and sell more shirts.

People are too keen to right this off.

I havent bought a season ticket but would definitely buy one if there was an offer such as that. I also know at least 10 people that would do the same. With the right advertising i really think this would work.

Plus you would sell more food/drink on match days and sell more shirts.

I would get one, my dad would and I know a few others who could be interested. I think that it is getting written off too easily as well. I think everything about football at our level needs to be relooked at and changed. To much laissez faire attitude and hardly any innovation.

It's not being written off because it is a bad idea if you have a big stadium. It's being written off as it can't possibly work under our current circumstances.

Say we sell 3,500 season tickets normally. To attain the same level of finance we need 7,000 to sell. Okay that is possible. But then we have no room for any on the day sales, not like there will be many of them as they will pretty much all have season tickets.

So say that we get an average of 4,500 home fans. That is 1,000 fans per game at an average of say £14 per head. That is £14,000 per game written off. Or more to the point a loss of £322,000 per season. That's a player a season we will have to sell to fund this.

To me , at the moment, it is just a complete non-starter.

To me , at the moment, it is just a complete non-starter.

Exactly. That is what the Club have said via Simon Corney at the last Q&A Evening and latterly by Alan Hardy in The Chron. They have done the costings themselves and have realised it is a non-starter at the moment.

I'm sure there will be some kind of offer when the new Main Stand is opened.

Guest oa_exile

Think that Udders are actually getting a decent side together TBH , top six is a possibility for them with a good crowd behind them also.

Saved into my favorites , just in case :grin:

Guest oa_exile

Bottom line we do not have a fan base large enough to warrant silly (in our case) discounted ticket prices.

16,000 Latics fans , your avin a larf :lol: we struggled to get 10,000 at £2.00 entrance the other season.

I would get one, my dad would and I know a few others who could be interested. I think that it is getting written off too easily as well.

With all due respect to you both, you simply cannot look at this on a 'well me and me mates would buy one' basis. As others have said, it's a fine line between creating a shorfall on the overall budget and overselling to the point where there is simply no room whatsoever for the pay-on-the-day punters. Even if ST's were £100, some people still either can't afford it or only go 3 or 4 times a season and therefore won't justify paying it.

It is proven, that correctly run (as Bradford showed) it's a success. But at this moment in time something like that just cannot be tried whilst the ground is in a redevelopment phase.

With all due respect to you both, you simply cannot look at this on a 'well me and me mates would buy one' basis. As others have said, it's a fine line between creating a shorfall on the overall budget and overselling to the point where there is simply no room whatsoever for the pay-on-the-day punters. Even if ST's were £100, some people still either can't afford it or only go 3 or 4 times a season and therefore won't justify paying it.

It is proven, that correctly run (as Bradford showed) it's a success. But at this moment in time something like that just cannot be tried whilst the ground is in a redevelopment phase.

you may not be able to look at it like that,me and my mates would get one.....

but having spoken to a lot of lapsed bp visitors over the past month or so,they have all said if they were doing them for £100 or even £150 a pop they would have one......

by my reckoning with just the people i know there would be an extra 30 to 40 returning to bp again.........and im sorry but you just cant ignore those kind of facts....

if you got the majority of people on here to ask the mates who dont go any more if they would for that price you could be seriously looking at over 100 maybe a lot more that would return to bp..........if the club actually wanted to appease people asking for this kind of discount scheme they could have run an opinion pole either online or even by way of a voucher or something in the chron,along the lines of if we offered a season ticket at £150 a throw would it tempt you back to bp.

even go as far as getting a couple of representatives,or even asking owtb members to canvass the general public on the town centre over a week......they may have actually been pleasantly suprised......

now i am not saying they have just dismissed it out of hand,because obviously they havent,but to not even gauge public opinion on it is a poor thing.

like has been said with marketing of the club,if they cant be bothered to raise its profile they cant complain at the drop in numbers on the gate.

but having spoken to a lot of lapsed bp visitors over the past month or so,they have all said if they were doing them for £100 or even £150 a pop they would have one......

by my reckoning with just the people i know there would be an extra 30 to 40 returning to bp again.........and im sorry but you just cant ignore those kind of facts....

if you got the majority of people on here to ask the mates who dont go any more if they would for that price you could be seriously looking at over 100 maybe a lot more that would return to bp..........if the club actually wanted to appease people asking for this kind of discount scheme they could have run an opinion pole either online or even by way of a voucher or something in the chron,along the lines of if we offered a season ticket at £150 a throw would it tempt you back to bp.

even go as far as getting a couple of representatives,or even asking owtb members to canvass the general public on the town centre over a week......they may have actually been pleasantly suprised......

now i am not saying they have just dismissed it out of hand,because obviously they havent,but to not even gauge public opinion on it is a poor thing.

like has been said with marketing of the club,if they cant be bothered to raise its profile they cant complain at the drop in numbers on the gate.

How do you gague public opinion exactly ?? They have done various deals since they have been here and they only one that saw a massive resonse was making it free to get in.....

If they did this and it failed the club would be in a right mess.... I personally dont think its worth the risk.... The owners would have quite a big hole to plug.....even bigger than the one they are currently plugging.....

Also if it did fail wouldnt wage bill have to be trimmed the year later due the league rules on running a club properly?

Edited by oafc0000

People saying that they'd buy a season ticket and people actually buying the season ticket would be two different things. In my experience Latics would likely encounter a sales inhibitor which is commonly known as The Wife.

How do you gague public opinion exactly ?? They have done various deals since they have been here and they only one that saw a massive resonse was making it free to get in.....

If they did this and it failed the club would be in a right mess.... I personally dont think its worth the risk.... The owners would have quite a big hole to plug.....even bigger than the one they are currently plugging.....

Also if it did fail wouldnt wage bill have to be trimmed the year later due the league rules on running a club properly?

have they actually had a temp stand in oldham town centre in club colours with a list of possible incentives to come back and watch the latics for people to look at,or sign to say it would be a good idea etc etc etc.

have they actually printed a voucher in the chron that says "season ticket for £150 would it tempt you back,if so send the coupon back to bp via free post" not that im aware of they havent.

im not saying it is a guarentee that they would sell more tickets,but if they dont ask the public of oldham direct then they cant complain when the vast majority snub the club.

yes they have done free admission and £2 games,and they didnt exactly set the world alight with crowd swell......but they havent directly asked the majority in the town.

even as much as putting something on the official site where all you have to do is click here to register your interest....would go some way to getting some sort of idea if people would be interested or not.

now as for saying there is a difference in people saying they would buy and actually buying....well that goes for the majority of things doesnt it,and also the wife not letting you attend.....does that one go down as a mr corney lame excuse??? for not getting a ticket......

.....does that one go down as a mr corney lame excuse??? for not getting a ticket......

My comment has got nothing to do with Mr Corney - I was simply explaining that just because someone says that they'd buy a ticket if they were cheaper doesn't mean that they really would part with their cash when push came to shove. This includes having a stall in The Spindles, an Advert in the Chron or a link on a web page.

My comment has got nothing to do with Mr Corney - I was simply explaining that just because someone says that they'd buy a ticket if they were cheaper doesn't mean that they really would part with their cash when push came to shove. This includes having a stall in The Spindles, an Advert in the Chron or a link on a web page.

i understand fully what your saying

i can only go off the people i know,they wont pay over £300 or £20 a game to come and watch latics again.....but they have all stated that for £150 a pop,it would be stupid to turn it down,and would definately buy one,even if they didnt attend every game.

you can mock n take the mickey out of my suggestions all you like,but other clubs up and down the country have a presence in there local town centre,and always seem to be running some form of incentive scheme or other to catch peoples imaginations....the simple fact of the matter is that we dont.....

i fully understan the clubs position on keeping prices at the 300 quid mark means that there guarenteed a certain income,which goes towards building a promotion chasing team.....but to not even try to get some kind of idea if it was going to work or not is pretty poor pr in my opinion.

the next question you have to ask is that how long will the guarenteed hardcore continue to purchase season tickets without promotion......how many more fans would it take to stop coming to bp before the owners did think about trying some form of scheme???

i understand fully what your saying

i can only go off the people i know,they wont pay over £300 or £20 a game to come and watch latics again.....but they have all stated that for £150 a pop,it would be stupid to turn it down,and would definately buy one,even if they didnt attend every game.

you can mock n take the mickey out of my suggestions all you like,but other clubs up and down the country have a presence in there local town centre,and always seem to be running some form of incentive scheme or other to catch peoples imaginations....the simple fact of the matter is that we dont.....

i fully understan the clubs position on keeping prices at the 300 quid mark means that there guarenteed a certain income,which goes towards building a promotion chasing team.....but to not even try to get some kind of idea if it was going to work or not is pretty poor pr in my opinion.

the next question you have to ask is that how long will the guarenteed hardcore continue to purchase season tickets without promotion......how many more fans would it take to stop coming to bp before the owners did think about trying some form of scheme???

For goodness sake Ed. It has been highlighted why such a scheme with the aim of benefiting the club is not viable at the present time. Benefit your mates it might, but not the club......yet.

For goodness sake Ed. It has been highlighted why such a scheme with the aim of benefiting the club is not viable at the present time. Benefit your mates it might, but not the club......yet.

i havent said it would benefit the club......people are saying that other clubs up and down the leagues are doing schemes for season tickets,vastly reduced on previous seasons just to get the club in.....and that our club hasnt,other people are also saying why are people just dismissing it straight away and out of hand....

i am merely trying to point out,that if the club wanted to do a similar scheme,but wouldnt know if it was viable or would work,then they would have to do some research and some form of market research into the idea,to try and gauge public opinion if they did offer such a scheme,would people back it in numbers meaning it would work.

they havent done anything like that,and for there reasons are keeping the price of a season ticket at the 300 pound mark.....we all know that those reasons are to keep a certain amount of funds comming in so to give the manager a sizeable transfer budget.

if the club had been averaging around the 9k mark for the last couple of seasons,then maybe just maybe it may have worked....but with a hardcore of 3500 and the odd thousand pay on the day it isnt.

huddersfield may have sold 16k season tickets,but it has only generated the same income as last season.......but the bonus is that in theory the team will be backed by virtually a full house each home game,making extra noise and support and cheering the team on,we all know how well teams do playing to a full house of rousing home support,rather than playing infront of 6k and listening to people whinge when a pass goes astray....

i havent said it would benefit the club......people are saying that other clubs up and down the leagues are doing schemes for season tickets,vastly reduced on previous seasons just to get the club in.....and that our club hasnt,other people are also saying why are people just dismissing it straight away and out of hand....

i am merely trying to point out,that if the club wanted to do a similar scheme,but wouldnt know if it was viable or would work,then they would have to do some research and some form of market research into the idea,to try and gauge public opinion if they did offer such a scheme,would people back it in numbers meaning it would work.

they havent done anything like that,and for there reasons are keeping the price of a season ticket at the 300 pound mark.....we all know that those reasons are to keep a certain amount of funds comming in so to give the manager a sizeable transfer budget.

if the club had been averaging around the 9k mark for the last couple of seasons,then maybe just maybe it may have worked....but with a hardcore of 3500 and the odd thousand pay on the day it isnt.

huddersfield may have sold 16k season tickets,but it has only generated the same income as last season.......but the bonus is that in theory the team will be backed by virtually a full house each home game,making extra noise and support and cheering the team on,we all know how well teams do playing to a full house of rousing home support,rather than playing infront of 6k and listening to people whinge when a pass goes astray....

I think you'll find that some of us have explained very carefully why we think it would cause catastrophic problems at latics. I've yet to see anyone in favour of such a scheme actually put up any figures in relation to current gate income and proposed gate income from a "scheme". The extra revenue that fans generate is often over exaggerated - someone claimed the average fans spends £7 within the ground - that's absolute nonsense, some people bring flasks, bottles of soft drink, crisps, sweets etc and don't spend a penny. And of the money that is taken, only a percentage is profit after paying for the product, facilities, staff etc.

Also bear in mind that (afaik) only 3 clubs have tried schemes in any major way: Hudds - had backing from a new investor to cover any losses. Bradford - had been relegated and finished mid table. Port Vale - Had been relegated by March.

13000 would come for £100 a season, but that would see gate income fall by about (this is my estimate based on my extensive knowledge of doing sums) £600k. To get that back from sales withing the stadium would need about £2m worth of sales, from peoplewho in some cases won't pay £2 to watch latics. I know you'd get a £100 ticket, but the better think to ask yourself is how dear could they go and you'd still buy? Then we might get nearer to an idea of what might work.

ps. I think one scheme that could be brought in is a Saturdays only and a Evenings Only ST. You'd have to look at how many Sat's and Eve's we'd be likely to have and take a few off, maybe do it as 13 Sats and 7 Eves? And price them above STs on a match for match basis (£15?) :- £195 for 13 Saturday games or £105 for 7 Evening games.

Could be a way of getting back people that have strayed?

You should work in marketing Ed. You really should. Some great market research you've done there.

ps. I think one scheme that could be brought in is a Saturdays only and a Evenings Only ST.

hat, on the other hand, is an excellent idea. Not sure it'd be mega popular, but may persuade a couple of hundred more to purchase which is good.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

the trouble with a sat/evening season ticket only is that the fixtures only get released in june, after the season ticket deadline, meaning they couldnt possibly know how many matches such a ticket would be valid for. would you offer them at a discounted rate even after the discounted period is up? the whole point of the discount is to get money into the club early to help outwith summer running costs

also, what would happen if,say, a sat game got called off and rearanged for a tuesday night?

i do agree it is an idea worth looking at though.

Edited by philliggi