Signings so far

I was having a chat with a mate about our signings so far. Ive been pretty happy with them but he was of the opinion that they are just ok and nothing special. This got me thinking along the same lines. I was very happy with the signings last season but they didnt really work out imo. Hughes and Davies were the pick of the bunch but obviously suffered badly with injury. Something that could have been foreseen with Hughes.

If you look at our signings this year:

Flemming: Good prospect but young and not tested in this league. From a relegated team.

Whitaker: Had quite a bit of stick from Vale fans. Good player on his day. From a relegated team.

Lee: Another good prospect but untried at this level. Failed to stay in QPR team.

O'grady: Hardly set the world on fire at Rotherham. Also got stick from fans. Better than what we have?

Stephens: Looks to be one for the future. Will he get in the team next season?

Is anyone excited over these signings? Are they just average. One definite positive is that the squad is strengthened. But is it good enough to challenge for top two?

Or:

Fleming: Team liquidated. Crewe offered contract (or were about to).

Whitaker: Vale offered contract.

Lee: QPR offered contract.

O'Grady: Rotherham couldn't pay wages, but wanted to keep.

Stephens: Bury offered contract.

Each and every one was, to an extent, wanted either by their own team or someone else.

To me my expectations are (totally groundless):

Fleming: Good write up. Back up at the start and could be a good keeper in what, to me, has been an area we have been lacking in for a long time now.

Whittaker: Not so sure of this one. Must be our ball player, but he hasn't been consistent by all accounts, probably could do with a different style of football to Vale's - which hopefully we have.

Lee: Looks an excellent signing to be in the side all the time. Best of the lot.

O'Grady: Back up for the two main forwards, and will hopefully ad some competition for the first team, along with the young lads.

Stephens: Youngster with potential. Obviously Bury like him, but even their fans have hardly seen him. No idea.

I think we've strengthened areas that we were caught short in last season, for sure (apart from the left side). Whether they are good enough is a completely different question, and something I'm not sure on - mainly due to not being able to see them play apart from Whitaker, and purely relying on balancing out comments and opinion from other sources.

That said, all of them were fairly highly rated at their prospective clubs it seems.

One thing that I'd say is refreshing is no-one is coming in with a big ego. They're very fresh, hungry and it's a step up for all of them. So far we've kept the nucleus of a good side, and are pruning where neccessary. This is a complete positive; we were never far away last season. The key of course is staying injury free, so if our key players get a good pre-season behind their belts, and stay fit we won't be far away.

I was having a chat with a mate about our signings so far. Ive been pretty happy with them but he was of the opinion that they are just ok and nothing special. This got me thinking along the same lines. I was very happy with the signings last season but they didnt really work out imo. Hughes and Davies were the pick of the bunch but obviously suffered badly with injury. Something that could have been foreseen with Hughes.

Flemming: Good prospect but young and not tested in this league. From a relegated team.

Whitaker: Had quite a bit of stick from Vale fans. Good player on his day. From a relegated team.

Lee: Another good prospect but untried at this level. Failed to stay in QPR team.

O'grady: Hardly set the world on fire at Rotherham. Also got stick from fans. Better than what we have?

Is anyone excited over these signings? Are they just average. One definite positive is that the squad is strengthened. But is it good enough to challenge for top two?

How about this for a radical idea?

Why don't we wait to see them kick a ball before deciding if they are any good or not?

No not at all, Hopefully Shez knows what hes doing.. Hopefully Whitaker and O'Grady are given a chance by the Boo Boys but I can see these two especially O'Grady having a hard time at Latics should they not hit the ground running.

Kieran Lee is the signing that stands out for me but as for the others will have to wait and see. Lets just hope our main signing/target comes in the form of a left fullback and winger.

theres two point to this, can we attract the big players in are league, is there any good players in are league what we need what we havent already got

like wellens had him for two seasons = done nothing!!!

kilkenny = didnt really do nothing brilliant i know we had good games with him but was he the answer

seen as tho last season we finished 8th with the team and injurys we had that was really good so yeah why not...

fans are going to give players stick look at rubes not one person said yeah good signing no one rated him and now look prob one of the best players last year

so i think next year is a big year for SHEZ and oldham and i will be there right behind my team so we are just as important as the players if we want to go up.... cmon oldham B)

How about this for a radical idea?

Why don't we wait to see them kick a ball before deciding if they are any good or not?

The board isn't exactly overloaded with posts at the moment. Thought it would be a good topic to discuss.

I was not having a go at the players as individuals. Just for the good of them team.

I pretty much agree what we have bought is potential,and added to the squad by filling the gaps of players departed,or about to depart (Kalala).I think Whittaker is a good signing as he is proven at this level.I suppose we have to trust Shezz's judgment on the others Fleming may turn out to be a diamond,whilst the others are pretty much unknown quantities at this level but hopefully they will do well.And are welcome additions,one thing they will add is competition,and hunger if they all come off we could be rocking.

If O'Grady is to be used as a winger which is possible we could still sign another striker along with a left back and a creative midfielder.

I hope that there may be at least another 2 to come that may add that extra bit of QUALITY we kept hearing we about from Shezz last season.

On a different topic Lids could turn out to be a real important player for us this season if he is used right.

Robert

Guest oa_exile
The board isn't exactly overloaded with posts at the moment. Thought it would be a good topic to discuss.

Agree

Think Shez is probably doing the best he can under the circumstances with his budget for this season.

We just dont have the financial clout to pull the bigger names in.

He has set his stall out to get the players in early doors , so no complaint from me on that score.

I am sure there are still one or two irons in the fire as well.

In fairness we are always crying out that we dont bring players in from lower divisions , well we cant complain this time around :)

I was not having a go at the players as individuals. Just for the good of them team.

Ok then.

They are all rubbish. Shez hasn't got a clue. TTA are only here for the money they can make on the land. We will be in a relegation scrap next season.

And all of this because we are signing poor players.

Ok then.

They are all rubbish. Shez hasn't got a clue. TTA are only here for the money they can make on the land. We will be in a relegation scrap next season.

That's sooooo yesterday.

How about we'll be playing with a three-sided ground for years to come?

Ok then.

And all of this because we are signing poor players.

Or you could not bother replying mr sarcasm.

Or you could not bother replying mr sarcasm.

Sorry, but felt I had to reply as I don't think it very fair to be considering if a player is a good enough signing or not before they have kicked a ball - Mr Prejudgemental

:tongue1:

Sorry, but felt I had to reply as I don't think it very fair to be considering if a player is a good enough signing or not before they have kicked a ball - Mr Prejudgemental

:tongue1:

Surely that's what this board is all about - opinions. What's wrong in expressing a view as to whether you believe a signing to be a good one or not? I totally agree that we will only know when we have seen each player in competitive action but I think it's a good topic for discussion.

:gathering2:

As for me - I think that all are decent signings for a club in our position and of our status - if a couple turn out to be really good 'uns then that's good enough for me. I look forward to seeing them all. :grin:

Surely that's what this board is all about - opinions. What's wrong in expressing a view as to whether you believe a signing to be a good one or not? I totally agree that we will only know when we have seen each player in competitive action but I think it's a good topic for discussion.

As for me - I think that all are decent signings for a club in our position and of our status - if a couple turn out to be really good 'uns then that's good enough for me. I look forward to seeing them all. :grin:

This sums up what I don't like about this thread.....

It is like a topic in a Mother's meeting

:unsure:

Let's not forget, we had a fairly decent squad/team last year (just missed play-offs with rank injuries). Even if none of these players are in our first choice 11, they add numbers and I think quality to the replacements. I've a strong feeling that Lee will start the first game, although it's anyones guess what position.

there was a point towards the end of the season where we couldn't even name five substitutes for gods sake! and the ones which were on the bench were the under 17's.

I think lee, whitaker, fleming and o'grady are all serious 1st team contenders, but nobody should be guaranteed a place as that creates complacency.

i think these are positive signings, Stephens has not been talked about much but in a couple of years time he could be one of the best midfielders in our division.

This sums up what I don't like about this thread.....

It is like a topic in a Mother's meeting

:unsure:

I think that's harsh - there are worse things to discuss!

Although we haven't seen them play for Latics yet, we can speculate as to whether we think their signings are good ones or not.

Personally, i'm happy with them - think potential wise they all seem mustard and if 1 or 2 really come good, then they will become really good investments. Flemming & Lee already seem very shrewd additions

LOL! The fans are split already, and the season tickets haven't even been printed yet!

Theyll soon need a police cordon between our own fans at BP - time to choose your sides:

This year I think I'll go for

Shez Out

Taylor In

TTA are only here for the money

Gregan is too slow

Crossley is a first class keeper

Ditch the drummer

Eards in midfield

Return of Pukka and John Willies

Ronnie Moore is the Anti-Christ

Davies is too greedy

(But I reserve the right to change my mind depending on the result of each game)

Have I missed any?

:blink:

That's sooooo yesterday.

How about we'll be playing with a three-sided ground for years to come?

With the state of the housing market, I really don't think that you should be joking about that Matt...........

................what do you mean you're serious?! :shock:

I think that's harsh - there are worse things to discuss!

Although we haven't seen them play for Latics yet, we can speculate as to whether we think their signings are good ones or not.

Personally, i'm happy with them - think potential wise they all seem mustard and if 1 or 2 really come good, then they will become really good investments. Flemming & Lee already seem very shrewd additions

There are loads of other things to discuss during the close season without jumping to conclusions about players before they have played for us.

That is my point.

They could all end up like Rubes or Thompson - who knows?

With the state of the housing market, I really don't think that you should be joking about that Matt...........

................what do you mean you're serious?! :shock:

Yeah, come to think of it - it's not best to joke about that really is it...

Um, we could always draw a mural of fans on the boards, or flowers and trees. Or something.

I remember Rochdale painted players or people at the back of the Pearl St. stand years ago :lol: