3 Israeli Players on Trial

I've got a mate who works in the Clayton Green whose informed me via text that we have three Israeli players on trial at the club at the minute. They've been in for something to eat (it was fish tonight!) every night for the past few nights. One is a black full back called 'Abdul', one is a tall keeper and the third is a striker. They don't speak much English between them and have had a translator by their side for the past few days. I wonder if Bob tel Aviv had something to do with all this! And maybe he's this mystery translator?! B)

I've got a mate who works in the Clayton Green whose informed me via text that we have three Israeli players on trial at the club at the minute. They've been in for something to eat (it was fish tonight!) every night for the past few nights. One is a black full back called 'Abdul', one is a tall keeper and the third is a striker. They don't speak much English between them and have had a translator by their side for the past few days. I wonder if Bob tel Aviv had something to do with all this! And maybe he's this mystery translator?! B)

The plot thickens. Pardon me though for pandering to stereotypes, but I wouldn't have thought there were many Israelis answering to the name of Abdul?

I wouldn't have thought there were many Israelis answering to the name of Abdul?

I don't know many English people who'd answer to Monty but we have a nice little bowler in the English national teamn called Monty Panasar!

PS Dont shoot the messenger :blush:

I don't know many English people who'd answer to Monty but we have a nice little bowler in the English national teamn called Monty Panasar!

PS Dont shoot the messenger :blush:

The messenger is unshot, but it's not quite the same thing.

One will be the left back from the Rhyl game ... O dear may look a bit like JP but was very poor..

The keeper looked ok but barked like a dog on heat

Other may have been the right winger who showed some pace and good touches but we have better already ..

I know the LW form the Rhyl game was an Argentina lad wh IO did well and deserves a few more games to test his ability. Lookd ok but didnt speak much of the english lingo

One will be the left back from the Rhyl game ... O dear may look a bit like JP but was very poor..

The keeper looked ok but barked like a dog on heat

Other may have been the right winger who showed some pace and good touches but we have better already ..

I know the LW form the Rhyl game was an Argentina lad wh IO did well and deserves a few more games to test his ability. Lookd ok but didnt speak much of the english lingo

I've just spoken to my mate who says he's seen them messing about with a football on the pitches near BP. He added that from their 'mess about' you wouldn't at all be able to tell that they're pro footballers! And also, the keeper is the keeper who played against Rhyll.

The plot thickens. Pardon me though for pandering to stereotypes, but I wouldn't have thought there were many Israelis answering to the name of Abdul?

I have a theory, maybe the players name is Abel (as in Kane and ...) and those Associaton Football fellows at Pine Villa have made a joshing remark nicknaming him Abdul?

PS Without getting all political, The arabic population of Isreael is about 20%, but a lot of PAlestiniaan descent.

Edited by singe

As Richie says, Abdul was the left back on Wednesday at Rhyl and he was absolutely gash. Most people there seemed to be having a good laugh at his expense at half-time and it was probably his only 45 minutes in a Latics shirt. I thought the keeper did well and the lad on the right was compact and ok.

The stand out player for me though was the Argentinian lad on the left wing (Gaspar) although after some early good work, he faded a little as the half wore on. Like the rest, he appeared to speak no English. He wasn't afraid to shoot though and had a fair amount of skill and vision. Like any left winger at Latics though, he will need to learn the basic language skills such as "sod off from my wing and get in the middle Kes." :o

As Richie says, Abdul was the left back on Wednesday at Rhyl and he was absolutely gash. Most people there seemed to be having a good laugh at his expense at half-time and it was probably his only 45 minutes in a Latics shirt. I thought the keeper did well and the lad on the right was compact and ok.

The stand out player for me though was the Argentinian lad on the left wing (Gaspar) although after some early good work, he faded a little as the half wore on. Like the rest, he appeared to speak no English. He wasn't afraid to shoot though and had a fair amount of skill and vision. Like any left winger at Latics though, he will need to learn the basic language skills such as "sod off from my wing and get in the middle Kes." :o

and the lad was only 17! Well worth a second and third look.

and the lad was only 17! Well worth a second and third look.

with these trialists, if we deem any of them good enough how do they go on with the work permit rule? (that may be a silly question, but my understanding of the rule is nil)

It is more than possible to be an Israeli Arab.

Ethnic groups:

Jewish 76.4% (of which Israel-born 67.1%, Europe/America-born 22.6%, Africa-born 5.9%, Asia-born 4.2%), non-Jewish 23.6% (mostly Arab) (2004)

Religions:

Jewish 76.4%, Muslim 16%, Arab Christians 1.7%, other Christian 0.4%, Druze 1.6%, unspecified 3.9% (2004)

So there are over 1 million Muslim Israelis.

While I had always assumed that Abdul was a Pakistani (and by association presumably Muslim) name, a Google search on "Is Abdul A Jewish Name" highlights that Paula Abdul has Jewish parents.

In fact rumour has it Paula Abdul is quite a nifty creative midfielder.