this made me chuckle

Ever since I can remember, it's felt like we've had a curse. But now with recent developments please God, please let this be our much needed break. For way too long we have been the brunt of football jokes.... and now finally it looks like luck might be turning... surely our fellow clubs can't begrudge us this after all we've been through?

That comment just makes me want City to fail

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mind you, he does have a point. How long did Peter Swailes run the club?

Peter Swailes was City through and through, he allowed tens of millions to be spent on players, ok they were mostly tosh and he went through managers like disposable tissues, BUT when the City fans got there 'messiah' in Franny Lee, what happened? They went from a yo-yo team into a team in the third tier. In the end i'm convinced the grief from City's so-called 'super-fans' are what killed him in the end.

p.s. i'm still hoping all this will turn out to be the NOTW's fake Sheik in another sting, now that would be absolutely awesome! Not backed by Norweigan Money is he?

Edited by oafcprozac

Ever since I can remember, it's felt like we've had a curse. But now with recent developments please God, please let this be our much needed break. For way too long we have been the brunt of football jokes.... and now finally it looks like luck might be turning... surely our fellow clubs can't begrudge us this after all we've been through?

That comment just makes me want City to fail

why?

why?

Erm - they are wankers? Their club has been through ups and downs like many others but they think they are special. They finished in the middle of the Premier League last season and they still think they are the greatest fans because of their loyalty, they laughed when the Redd Soxx became the Redd Soxx but rejoiced when a dodgy dictator bought them, and now are gloating because they have become a trinket of a symbol collector.

Laugh? I nearly shat on their faces.

Erm - they are wankers? Their club has been through ups and downs like many others but they think they are special. They finished in the middle of the Premier League last season and they still think they are the greatest fans because of their loyalty, they laughed when the Redd Soxx became the Redd Soxx but rejoiced when a dodgy dictator bought them, and now are gloating because they have become a trinket of a symbol collector.

DO IT, DO IT. If you catch one, I'll hold him down

why?

oh come off it no-one deserves what has happened to City this week, as LL said, City fans seem to get the whole impression that their fans are superior, because they got 30,000 in the 2nd Division. What they fail to mention is that the only games they got 30,000 in were against us, Preston, Burnley, Blackpool and Wigan who incidently brought away followings of around 3-4000 people and the rest of the season they averaged nearer to 25,000, the same as Leeds last season and Sheff Wednesday the season they got promoted. That comment really takes the biscuit if you are a folower of a lower league club which I assume you are, they have been playing Premiership football now for over 5 seasons solid, in that time they have appeared in Europe, seen their side appear against some of the best players in the world and got millions and millions of pound in TV money whereas the rest of us outside the greedy league are doing all we can to keep our heads above water. Yet they still seem to think that they are all so 'hard done by'

as a further to this, my citeh mate and his dad spent a four figure sum three days ago on two season tickets, which they hadnt renewed after last season, their first ever season tickets, or even more than three games per season at 27 . when i took the piss he honestly said this 'yeah but it all went wrong, looked like he was selling up'. i laughed and ripped him further and he said 'yeah but your season tickets are £200'. he knows theyre not and i go at least 10 away, but i just couldnt be arsed with it, i could almost hear him justifying it to himself! i almost know for certain it will go wrong, dispite not pssessing a telepathic ability

What Citeh fans fail to realise is there are fans of around 80 professional clubs in England (nevermind all the amateur/semi-pro ones and a whole bunch more around the world) that would have given their right arms to be where City were last week and that number has only gone up by a few now. Citeh did have good support in League 1, but they were in League 1 for a reason, and having good support in England's third division is not something to crow about. Citeh have now got a rich backer and them and United are going to be a pissing contest for a while and this is what makes me chuckle as in a pissing contest face-off there are no winners only loosers. How long is it before those fans that were so loyal when they could afford to be (because their team was :censored: - remember they got promoted from this division via the play-offs) are no longer loyal to the club they love because some bloke with more money than he could spend in a million years has put up the prices beyond their reach and go and form FC City (or whatever crappy name they want to use). City are always going on about how United are the pride of Singapore etc. well I've got news for you these Abu Dhabi blokes want to turn your club into the pride of Arabia and if he gets his way he'll turn Citeh into Manchester Football club PLC mark II with more fans thousands of miles away than ten miles away. I for one will have a nice wide grin on my face when that happens and that same bloke writes a letter to the times bemoaning about how expensive its now gotten to see his little old club.

Edited by rudemedic

It's amazing how so many people think that Shinawatra was a dictator. He might have been dodgy by western standards, but he wasn't particularly so by the standards of his own society, nor those of most of the world. Neither was he a dictator, but, for better or worse, the highly popular elected president of his country, deposed illegally by a military dictatorship with an agenda of its own. People really do need to learn a little about world politics before they rush to judgement.

I aways thought it was naive of everybody to assume that he was bad for City. Not only did he do what he said he would in giving them a vastly improved side from that of Pearce right from the off, but he stood aside when his position became untenable. Crucially, though, this wasn't before he'd found investors capable of doing what, in easier times, he claimed he'd do himself and moving them into the real big time, actions which makes you question the allegations of those who are after him in his own country.

No amount of mockery alters the fact that the Arabs are different league when it comes to finance; and none alters the fact that this week's developments are very bad indeed for a club like ours (or Bury, or Stockport, or Rochdale etc etc.)

Edited by Corporal_Jones

What Citeh fans fail to realise is there are fans of around 80 professional clubs in England (nevermind all the amateur/semi-pro ones and a whole bunch more around the world) that would have given their right arms to be where City were last week and that number has only gone up by a few now. Citeh did have good support in League 1, but they were in League 1 for a reason, and having good support in England's third division is not something to crow about. Citeh have now got a rich backer and them and United are going to be a pissing contest for a while and this is what makes me chuckle as in a pissing contest face-off there are no winners only loosers. How long is it before those fans that were so loyal when they could afford to be (because their team was :censored: - remember they got promoted from this division via the play-offs) are no longer loyal to the club they love because some bloke with more money than he could spend in a million years has put up the prices beyond their reach and go and form FC City (or whatever crappy name they want to use). City are always going on about how United are the pride of Singapore etc. well I've got news for you these Abu Dhabi blokes want to turn your club into the pride of Arabia and if he gets his way he'll turn Citeh into Manchester Football club PLC mark II with more fans thousands of miles away than ten miles away. I for one will have a nice wide grin on my face when that happens and that same bloke writes a letter to the times bemoaning about how expensive its now gotten to see his little old club.

There might be truth in all this, but the unfortunate fact is that it is impossible for a club like City (or Everton, Tottenham, Villa etc), as well supported as they are, to break into the top four and play in the Champions League under the finances they generate themselves, as has already been proven. Massive investment is needed and, for this, nobody can compete with the likes of the Russians and the Arabs. No club can be blamed for saying yes when the billionaires come knocking. The Premier League can't complain, nor the rest of football, right down to the fans (lower divisions included) who have remained passive while this situation has unfolded. Everybody who subscribes to Sky is, in a small way, responsible for the way the game has gone.

I disagree that this doesn't affect us. The game is only meaningful when fans of even the smallest of clubs can dream of having a moment in the sun, or for their club to grow into one that can compete with the big boys, even if only temporarily, and however unlikely. Even in the best imaginable situation, clubs like ours will never get within a hundred miles of the Premier League again; nor will we ever again meet the likes of United and City in the cup and stand a chance of beating them. The day when we no longer even participate in the same cup competitions is already looming.

In a future where we are permanently second or third rate, with no prospect of a club like ours ever agin playing anybody bigger than Wolves or Sheffield Wednesday, the game has lost everything that made it worthwhile. Football outside the money loop will limp on in some form, but in a state of permanent impoverishment and mediocrity. Even individual players from smaller clubs can no longer realistically dream of a move to the top flight and major honours. We face a future without end of fixtures against the likes (at the very best) of Watford and Plymouth, but more realistically, Cheltenham and Southend.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

i heard on sky news one city fan said

every time a united fan fills his car with petrol ,its more money for city to spend on players

he got that off Noel Gallagher and he's entirely correct.

Noel Gallagher added: "I'm also pleased we've managed to swindle Man United out of a few bob as they've had to pay over the odds for Berbatov."

"It'll be nice to know that every gallon of petrol a Manchester United fan buys is going into our kitty."

The trouble is that my petrol money is as well! :disappointed:

It's amazing how so many people think that Shinawatra was a dictator. He might have been dodgy by western standards, but he wasn't particularly so by the standards of his own society, nor those of most of the world. Neither was he a dictator, but, for better or worse, the highly popular elected president of his country, deposed illegally by a military dictatorship with an agenda of its own. People really do need to learn a little about world politics before they rush to judgement.

I aways thought it was naive of everybody to assume that he was bad for City. Not only did he do what he said he would in giving them a vastly improved side from that of Pearce right from the off, but he stood aside when his position became untenable. Crucially, though, this wasn't before he'd found investors capable of doing what, in easier times, he claimed he'd do himself and moving them into the real big time, actions which makes you question the allegations of those who are after him in his own country.

ThaiLatic I'm sure will answer you in 5...4...3...2...

oh come off it no-one deserves what has happened to City this week, as LL said, City fans seem to get the whole impression that their fans are superior, because they got 30,000 in the 2nd Division. What they fail to mention is that the only games they got 30,000 in were against us, Preston, Burnley, Blackpool and Wigan who incidently brought away followings of around 3-4000 people and the rest of the season they averaged nearer to 25,000, the same as Leeds last season and Sheff Wednesday the season they got promoted. That comment really takes the biscuit if you are a folower of a lower league club which I assume you are, they have been playing Premiership football now for over 5 seasons solid, in that time they have appeared in Europe, seen their side appear against some of the best players in the world and got millions and millions of pound in TV money whereas the rest of us outside the greedy league are doing all we can to keep our heads above water. Yet they still seem to think that they are all so 'hard done by'

fair dos

ThaiLatic I'm sure will answer you in 5...4...3...2...

And? Anybody can have an opinion on Shinawatra, but nobody can say that he didn't do right by City in the end, which is what we're discussing here.

Nor can anybody dispute that he was president because the Thai people elected him and deposed in a military coup by people who were not elected.

And? Anybody can have an opinion on Shinawatra, but nobody can say that he didn't do right by City in the end, which is what we're discussing here.

Nor can anybody dispute that he was president because the Thai people elected him and deposed in a military coup by people who were not elected.

He might not be the worst in the world, but I don't see anything much about him to justify going out of your way to defend him. Clearly raising the profile of City as a way of associating himself with Thai national pride was a key factor in his plan to get back into power, sadly the courts in Thailand have demonstrated their independence over his mates an continued to pursue corruption charges against him. SE Asian politics is a tricky game, he played it, it looks like he lost.

He might not be the worst in the world, but I don't see anything much about him to justify going out of your way to defend him. Clearly raising the profile of City as a way of associating himself with Thai national pride was a key factor in his plan to get back into power, sadly the courts in Thailand have demonstrated their independence over his mates an continued to pursue corruption charges against him. SE Asian politics is a tricky game, he played it, it looks like he lost.

I'm not particularly defending him. All I've said is that, while many people expected the worst when he took over City, he's left them in the a situation better than in their wildest dreams (at least if they want to seriously compete), and chose to leave the scene, or at least the limelight, when he could have chosen to cling on and do it all alone, possibly leading the club into very choppy waters indeed.

The most I did to 'defend' him was to point out that he was not a dictator but elected by the Thai people. Whether I would have voted for him had I been living there and had the vote is a different matter altogether. (But then if I were, I'd be somebody else entirely...)

Edited by Corporal_Jones

I'm not particularly defending him. All I've said is that, while many people expected the worst when he took over City, he's left them in the a situation better than in their wildest dreams (at least if they want to seriously compete), and chose to leave the scene, or at least the limelight, when he could have chosen to cling on and do it all alone, possibly leading the club into very choppy waters indeed.

The most I did to 'defend' him was to point out that he was not a dictator but elected by the Thai people. Whether I would have voted for him had I been living there and had the vote is a different matter altogether. (But then if I were, I'd be somebody else entirely...)

I guess he has achieved his stated objectives, but that's not to say they were his real objectives. IIRC correctly he paid £60m for :censored:ty and if rumour be true sold them for £150m. Good business in my eyes, especially when you are down to your last £80m with the rest tied up overseas... If truth be told, having £1billion in the bank isn't really enough to take a rubbish club right to the top these days, given that no meglamaniac with an ounce of sense would commit to using the bulk of his wealth on such a project. It looks like there will be a super-elte of clubs, maybe comprising City, Chelsea, United, Madrid, Barca, Milan, St Petersburg and QPR, but they will only want or need so many players between them.

I guess he has achieved his stated objectives, but that's not to say they were his real objectives. IIRC correctly he paid £60m for :censored:ty and if rumour be true sold them for £150m. Good business in my eyes, especially when you are down to your last £80m with the rest tied up overseas... If truth be told, having £1billion in the bank isn't really enough to take a rubbish club right to the top these days, given that no meglamaniac with an ounce of sense would commit to using the bulk of his wealth on such a project. It looks like there will be a super-elte of clubs, maybe comprising City, Chelsea, United, Madrid, Barca, Milan, St Petersburg and QPR, but they will only want or need so many players between them.

I suspect he intended getting the additional finance eventually, from within the global elite circles in which he moves. All that's changed are the circumstances in which he was forced to do it.

Peter Swailes was City through and through, he allowed tens of millions to be spent on players, ok they were mostly tosh and he went through managers like disposable tissues, BUT when the City fans got there 'messiah' in Franny Lee, what happened? They went from a yo-yo team into a team in the third tier. In the end i'm convinced the grief from City's so-called 'super-fans' are what killed him in the end.

p.s. i'm still hoping all this will turn out to be the :grin:NOTW's fake Sheik in another sting, now that would be absolutely awesome! Not backed by Norweigan Money is he?

Superb :grin: his book is out soon.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/article19287.ece

Edited by oafctom

I suspect he intended getting the additional finance eventually, from within the global elite circles in which he moves. All that's changed are the circumstances in which he was forced to do it.

It's all speculation at the end of the day - my guess is that he was in it for a short term expedient of maintaining an international and Thai profile- for all his sinister wrongness, I think Roman is in it long term with Chelsea, he has moved his money out of Russia, and is quite happy in London along with most of the world supply of Russian oligarchs. The Abu Dhabi thing is obviously another goal altogether, part of their world branding exercise. Money can't buy you class, but it sure can buy Man City.

Edited by leeslover

It's all speculation at the end of the day - my guess is that he was in it for a short term expedient of maintaining an international and Thai profile- for all his sinister wrongness, I think Roman is in it long term with Chelsea, he has moved his money out of Russia, and is quite happy in London along with most of the world supply of Russian oligarchs. The Abu Dhabi thing is obviously another goal altogether, part of their world branding exercise. Money can't buy you class, but it sure can buy Man City.

I'm not sure if Roman is exactly happy to be here full-time. If you take a look at those oligarchs who are in exile, by and large it tends to be the Jewish ones. So, too, those who have been locked up within Russia. I remember reading somewhere that there's a saying popular amongst Russian Jews that goes something to the effect of when Russians start getting nationalistic, the Jew packs his suitcase. Chelsea can probably count themselves lucky that the current mood in Russia seems set to last.

Edited by Corporal_Jones