Croatia v England

Slaven Bilic says "We are favourites for this game. It reminds me of the European Cup final in 1994. Barcelona against Milan. Barcelona had Cruyff, Romario, Stoichkov. And Capello was in charge of Milan. Everyone was saying that Barcelona were going to win and Milan killed them 4-0. Barcelona gave the appearance it was easy, but we would never give that appearance. We are full of respect but we are very confident, of course."

"We know what we have to do and we are good enough," he added. "We are much better. We have better players, we are better as a team because we have trained more. Before Zagreb [two years ago when Croatia beat England 2-0] we had been together for 20 or 30 coaching sessions. Now we have had 150."

Watch out for the Ernie Flag in Zagreb - its custodians have been challenged to get a picture of it with some Croatian beauties. Meanwhile, here are some to be going on with:

2596414378_bc5784c7a9_m.jpg

2648526464_f6b17393d7.jpg

2600171276_0982f6f73b.jpg

would rather watch thos beauties than england bt ill be in front a sofa with beer in hand - but all that rubbish about being good enough dont get me wrong i hope we win , but when are the media the coaches etc and most of all the players realize we are not as good as they all think

would rather watch thos beauties than england bt ill be in front a sofa with beer in hand - but all that rubbish about being good enough dont get me wrong i hope we win , but when are the media the coaches etc and most of all the players realize we are not as good as they all think

Ahh, so you are the one who has Setanta Sports!!!

Put your address on here - we will all be round later.. :wink:

I think it's been realised now to be honest, most that I've seen and most of the people I've spoken to in general (including myself) think Croatia will win tonight.

It was not the same case when we last played in Zagreb.

How come it has taken England 4 years to play that well. The only person who had a bad game was James. Rooney was excellent and Walcott showed that Beckham might as well look for Hollywood roles now as he is not going to start for England again. (Unless Theo gets injured). However, England did not need to play that well Croatia were appalling. They were very lucky not to be down to 9 men (Simunic deserved a second yellow for a very cynical foul), they had to resort to diving to make sure England had a goal disallowed and their goal was dubious (I'm not a big fan of the foot up rule but I've seen those given fairly regularly). England dominated and Croatia were dreadful. However, what the England players need to realise is that you still need to play well against the likes of the Ukraine and Belarus to qualify as if England drop points it will allow the other teams back into contention and I can't see Croatia playing that badly again.

I'm now waiting for our resident 'Croat' - Diego- to defend that performance both in terms of sportsmanship and quality.

I'm now waiting for our resident 'Croat' - Diego- to defend that performance both in terms of sportsmanship and quality.

I haven't seen the match but I accept what you say. In the past England haven't taken advantage when the opposition has had a bad night - this time they did. Long may it continue.

It will be intersting to see what Slaven Bilic says. He said before the game: "We are favourites for this game. It reminds me of the European Cup final in 1994. Barcelona against Milan. Barcelona had Cruyff, Romario, Stoichkov. And Capello was in charge of Milan. Everyone was saying that Barcelona were going to win and Milan killed them 4-0." Capello does it again!

Brilli-illiant performance.

So happy (however John Terry had another pretty :censored: game as well as James).

Theo was fanabulous and that is it as far as old man Beckhams starts go and hopefully 'traitorous ******* Bentley's too.

Main two things for me. Rooney REQUIRES a big man to feed him. Be that Heskey or Ashton. We cannot play Fat Fwank and Stevie G. Only one for me on that one, and I suspect I'm in the FF minority.

What a brilliant night though.

Germany 1 England 5

Croatia 1 England 4

What's the key factor?

Heskey. :England:

I always thought he was by far the best of a lot of bad options who were used on the left over a long period for England. He was the ultimate pull-your-hair-out player either on the left or up front. Sometimes he would skin people and put balls in, burst past them or knock defenders all over and win everything in the air or the ground. And the next time he would fall over like a 16 stone muscular Bambi. He was an awesome player under Martin O'Neill and has taken a long while to get back to that level, but he has the tools to harm any side he comes up against when he believes in himself.

Brilli-illiant performance.

So happy (however John Terry had another pretty :censored: game as well as James).

Theo was fanabulous and that is it as far as old man Beckhams starts go and hopefully 'traitorous ******* Bentley's too.

Main two things for me. Rooney REQUIRES a big man to feed him. Be that Heskey or Ashton. We cannot play Fat Fwank and Stevie G. Only one for me on that one, and I suspect I'm in the FF minority.

What a brilliant night though.

Heskey showed what playing a big man alongside Rooney does, (and Rooney showed how he likes it too). In the role the big man played tonight an in-form Heskey is the best option but we have Crouch (who I think will do well there too) and Ashton (who I think is a little bit over-rated after all he plays for West Ham whose England players are always seen as world beaters ever since Moore, Hurst et al.) waiting in reserve. Heskey always struck me as a form player and he tends to do well for England when he's on form- Germany, his debut against Argentina and tonight. When he's not on form something doesn't quite click and he doesn't play as well, and it was at these times that led to Engalnd fans to get on his back. Michael Owen can NOT play alongside Rooney but he is capable of playing instead of Rooney (when Rooney is unavailible) and his end of season form for the Geordies last season showed he has the ability to drop deep like Rooney.

As to the Gerrard/Lampard debate I would think its obvious to every man and his dog that watches England that these two can't play together even if 1 of them plays out of position. I'm not sure who'd I pick but unless Lampard got injured I think after last night the place is his for the next game at least. They both seem world class when they play for their clubs, but only Lampard (who isn't as good for Chelsea as Gerrard is for Liverpool) has shown anything like his club form for the national team.

As for Terry maybe he needs a kick up the arse and reminding that getting paid £100k a week and playing football for the national team is a privelege (one that many men around the country would give their right hand for) and not a right. Maybe he should get dropped in the not too distant future if his form continues to wane (after all centre-half is a position where I think we are strongest in terms of strength in depth compared to other countries).

A great performance last night and a very good result, but as usual people (the media) will get carried away with one result.

Their mentality really does beggar belief at times, if we lose a game and we are the worst team in the world then if we win a single game we are back to being one of the best teams in the world and genuine World Cup contenders, there's just no middle ground.

We are top of the group and in pole position we should just enjoy that for the time being.