Chris Taylors Price Tag?

If his price goes to a tribunal, lets hope Mr. Wilson is not on the panel :D

I hope you are not implying that 3 sticks of rock, a donkey ride for AH, ticket for the tower and a 'Kiss me Quick' hat is a bad deal for the club Rick???

IIRC that is an improvement of a stick of rock, the ticket and the hat on my previous price tag :wink: .

KtF,

Derek.

I hope you are not implying that 3 sticks of rock, a donkey ride for AH, ticket for the tower and a 'Kiss me Quick' hat is a bad deal for the club Rick???

IIRC that is an improvement of a stick of rock, the ticket and the hat on my previous price tag :wink: .

KtF,

Derek.

Does that mean you think he has improved this season Derek. :wink::)

KtF,

Derek.

3 sticks of rock!!! The lads stock IS rising fast this season :grin:

i could understand the club wanting to cash in on porter in jan, purely because with the squad we had at the time, it wasnt strong enough to take us through to the end of the season, so better to cash in while we were on the crest of a wave.

however, this season, the squad we have far outweighs the squad we had back then imo. it is much more likely to go all the way, so why rip your best components out of there?

to say there is a chance taylor will do a porter is ludicrous.

I think he is contrated to us until the summer of 2010 so if he has a fantatstic season we wouldn't have to cash in in jan in case he did a Porter on us. Next Summer though our hands maybe forced abit more if we are still in this division and a big offer comes in.

If Taylor did a Porter on us, I would lose my faith in humanity.

In the close season I'd have taken about £750k (and then some clauses on top) for Taylor, as we'd have had enough money and time to get a replacement in. Now with the start both the team and he has had I think £1.5 mill (with some clauses) is about right. However, I can't see him being sold/wanting to leave as I can't see a Premiership/top end championship team coming in for him and it looks quite likely we will be up there in Jan, so I can't see him leaving unless its for a chance at Prem football the season after. However, we may be looking at selling some of our other talent (e.g. Smalley/Eardley) in Jan. in order to finance transfers in.

Time will tell, and I think it depends on how things like the credit crunch have effected the club's/TTA's finances.

In the close season I'd have taken about £750k (and then some clauses on top) for Taylor, as we'd have had enough money and time to get a replacement in. Now with the start both the team and he has had I think £1.5 mill (with some clauses) is about right. However, I can't see him being sold/wanting to leave as I can't see a Premiership/top end championship team coming in for him and it looks quite likely we will be up there in Jan, so I can't see him leaving unless its for a chance at Prem football the season after. However, we may be looking at selling some of our other talent (e.g. Smalley/Eardley) in Jan. in order to finance transfers in.

Time will tell, and I think it depends on how things like the credit crunch have effected the club's/TTA's finances.

its a tough one to call because if he is still banging goals in and creating chances and havoc like he has so far....then you would have to say he would be priceless to the club,like hughes...

that said if come jan and were still top then i think the club would be naive to sell him for less than 2 million pounds,that i think would constitute there silly offer.

i honestly cant see him going if were still in the top 3,wouldnt make sense to sell one of your best players just to balance the books when its all out promotion or bust,fair enough if were floundering a little and it looks like we may miss out then fine,the club have to manage the finances.

i think like others have said though that maybe eardly,smally or even davies may be sold to recoup some cash,yes if we go up we get extra tv revenue,but realistically that would go on players wages as they are bound to have clauses to say if we go up they get a pay rise.

They'd sell for 2mill and if its a club with that size of budget then Taylor would be mad to stay. Bank 1.5mill and spend 500k on Rowe at Stockport or the guy from Stoke, sorted.

It won't happen, when do we ever get an over inflated fee for a player?

Guy Branston ;)

The fact Taylor draws blue blood becomes irrelevant when moneys around, if the club sells him he has no choice in the matter..

Id say 1.5 million is an acceptable fee but id say him, Hughes and Gregan are our 3 most influential players

It is very relevant from a fee point of view..

The fact he wont want to go will add half a million to the price.

Any team coming in for him will know they will have to offer a great deal to tempt him away.

He wont be one of those that becomes unsettled at transfer talk and end up wanting away which reduces the selling clubs hold ?

I agree with Slurms that if Taylor did 'do a Porter' it would be a hige slap in the face to the club and the fans.

However - no matter how 'blue' his blood is, there has to be a point in a professional footballer's life where this factor becomes less important.

When/if this point arises does depend on some factors. But there is a level that (i) the player can realistically play at, and (ii) the club can realistically play at.

When these two become obviously different, then I am perfectly happy to accept that even a 'blue' (in our case) blooded player will move from their club.

At the moment I don't see Chris Taylor as Premiership potential if I am honest - but I think he has the potential to play at Championship level. What size of club in terms of expectations (stay in, mid-table, push form promotion) is still up for debate.

As for Oldham Athletic - again if we are honest we will never be a Premiership club, but we have the potential to play at Championship level. More likely that we will be a mid-table-bottom table team if we go up.

Chris will probably look at his/the clubs prospects at the moment and think they align and will stay short term. If we fail to go up this season and in the summer the opportunity comes to move I'd expect him to go, and he'd go with my blessings/best wishes for a good career. Knowing that, like Scholes, he is still a fan.

In terms of the club deciding that its right to let him go before he does - then I think the money required to do that is not what we will get offerred. Cannot see £1.5-2 million offers coming in - we are Oldham, it doesn't happen.

If we did get that sort of offer, I'd have to accept that the long term benefit to the club may make it the right decision to accept.

Edited by Scapegoat

The fact Taylor draws blue blood becomes irrelevant when moneys around, if the club sells him he has no choice in the matter..

Yes, absolutely. And he'll probably see it as a chance for the club to earn a proper windfall should he decide to go.

I really can't see him doing a Porter though. It's generally taken as read these days that all footballers are greedy mercenaries but I would think Taylor is a bit more grounded than that.

There is always an exception that proves the rule - but generally we don't get good money for players.

Cannot see £1.5-2 million offers coming in - we are Oldham, it doesn't happen.

This isn't really aimed at you Scapegoat, as I realise it is a general consensus. But the above are facts of the past. These days we have owners who, in my opinion, wont be bullied into cheap sales. They dont need to sell urgently on the cheap and so it obviously isn't in their interests to do so. We have only sold Trotman under TTA, and for a fair price in my opinion. Also, a buying club will pay what they are prepared to pay for a player, regardless of whether he plays for Oldham or whoever.

It's a bit like when a commentator points out that Team X hasn't won at team Y for 50 odd years.....it's completely irrelavent as it has no bearing on todays set-up. You're sentiments are based on something which no longer applies to us (as much). Times change.

Guest oa_exile
This isn't really aimed at you Scapegoat, as I realise it is a general consensus. But the above are facts of the past. These days we have owners who, in my opinion, wont be bullied into cheap sales. They dont need to sell urgently on the cheap and so it obviously isn't in their interests to do so. We have only sold Trotman under TTA, and for a fair price in my opinion. Also, a buying club will pay what they are prepared to pay for a player, regardless of whether he plays for Oldham or whoever.

It's a bit like when a commentator points out that Team X hasn't won at team Y for 50 odd years.....it's completely irrelavent as it has no bearing on todays set-up. You're sentiments are based on something which no longer applies to us (as much). Times change.

I get where you are coming from Stitch BUT if the finances dont improve due to attendances then TTA will sell to balance the books or should i put it "curb the loses".

The warning signs have already been given with TTA complaining about attendances and losing money week in week out.

Edited by oa_exile