Whitaker or Wellens

oldhamoafc

Whitaker or Wellens?  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets your vote?

• Danny Whitaker
    • Richie Wellens

Who do people think is a better player?

I think Whitaker atm, seems more interested in playing for us and so far this season seems more consistent as well as scoring the odd goal

Opinions?

Edited by sheridans_world
Poll added

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sheridans_world

Wihitaker all the way for me.

While Wellens played well, when his head dropped you could tell. With Whitaker he is still trying whether he is having a bad game or not.

It depends for me on if the poll is based on attitude or footballing ability.

I think Wellens is the better footballer, he was nearly always our best player on the field regardless of the result of a game, I always thought he was a Championship player playing in League 1.

I really like Whittaker he is a good player and has a good attitude and work ethic but I would take Wellens everyday on footballing ability alone.

Guest sheridans_world

I think Wellens is the better footballer, he was nearly always our best player on the field regardless of the result of a game, I always thought he was a Championship player playing in League 1.

I really like Whittaker he is a good player and has a good attitude and work ethic but I would take Wellens everyday on footballing ability alone.

I dont know, Whitaker hasnt been taking set pieces but I think his technical and footballing ability is better then Wellens' abilities.

I think I would take Whittaker over Wellens mainly because of his attitude. It may also be the case that it was easier for wellens to shine in previous latics sides.Whittaker also keeps his mouth shut and gets on with it wellens was wound up too easily and consequently went missing a lot.

I dont know, Whitaker hasnt been taking set pieces but I think his technical and footballing ability is better then Wellens' abilities.

Wellens - quicker brain and more aggressive, when needed. Only seen Whittaker over quarter of a season, so for me, regardless of peoples' opinion of him being lazy, Wellens' attitude on the field for us in his time here pips it (could be a different answer after 18 months though! ^_^ )

Wellens - quicker brain and more aggressive, when needed. Only seen Whittaker over quarter of a season, so for me, regardless of peoples' opinion of him being lazy, Wellens' attitude on the field for us in his time here pips it (could be a different answer after 18 months though! ^_^ )

Dont think you can compare the two. Two different players completely. The fair comparison, I believe, would be Whit and G-Mac. For that poll, Whit wins hands down.

Although very drunkenly claiming otherwise after returning from leeds :blush: I have to say I would take Wellens anytime... cant believe people are saying they would have Wittaker as he is a 'tryer' - rubbish, he still goes missing as he did at harlepool/Hudds/Stockport...

Wellens was afar superior footballer, and could control a game on his own, and even on a bad day, everything went through him.... I think the difference is that I would have love to have seen Wellens playing in this team... with Taylor on full pomp, and Hughesy's runs - it would be awesome to see Wellens passing ability used to the full... instead he got a season of Hoof, and although overachieveing, the worst sheridan side of the three years...

I think Whits is great... but I cant help but think that if this side had Wellens we would be truly anihilating sides like Leicester.... and be pretty much unbeatable... wellens only stopped playing when the dross around him made him look bad - with this team he would be battering teams (aswell as having ratters along side him which would allow him to play...)

Wellens all the way... but as has been said above - different players.....

Guest sheridans_world
Although very drunkenly claiming otherwise after returning from leeds :blush: I have to say I would take Wellens anytime... cant believe people are saying they would have Wittaker as he is a 'tryer' - rubbish, he still goes missing as he did at harlepool/Hudds/Stockport...

Wellens was afar superior footballer, and could control a game on his own, and even on a bad day, everything went through him.... I think the difference is that I would have love to have seen Wellens playing in this team... with Taylor on full pomp, and Hughesy's runs - it would be awesome to see Wellens passing ability used to the full... instead he got a season of Hoof, and although overachieveing, the worst sheridan side of the three years...

I think Whits is great... but I cant help but think that if this side had Wellens we would be truly anihilating sides like Leicester.... and be pretty much unbeatable... wellens only stopped playing when the dross around him made him look bad - with this team he would be battering teams (aswell as having ratters along side him which would allow him to play...)

Wellens all the way... but as has been said above - different players.....

I dont agree, with everything going through Wellens it left us lacking in places. Wellens had his 'ideas' and that was it, at least with Whitaker he can bounce off Allott where-as Wellens never did anything with his midfield 'partners'. Whitaker has got amazing ball control, he spots the through passes and gets into the box if needed.

That said, would I like to see Wellens back, of course.

I was thinking along those lines too, the only thing I would add is that I feel there are a few more goals in Whittaker than Wellens.

Wellens is the better player but I'd rather have Whittaker.

his attitude (or lack of?) and consitency outweighs Wellens' extra ability IMO.

the best players don't necessarily make the best team.

two workhorses with slightly above average talent who put it in week in, week out are proving way more effective than when we've had extremely talented showponies like Wellens and Kilkenny + A N Other there.

Wellens was afar superior footballer, and could control a game on his own, and even on a bad day, everything went through him....

BF, does the above statement stand true when facing Mark Allott? I never saw Wellens do what you said once when we played Chesterfield.

Wellens was afar superior footballer, and could control a game on his own, and even on a bad day, everything went through him....

BF, does the above statement stand true when facing Mark Allott? I never saw Wellens do what you said once when we played Chesterfield.

Probably helped persuade Sheridan to sign Allott that.

Dont see how anyone can doubt Wellens attitude on the pitch really. The amount of times he played when hurt was unbelievable. Lesser players would have sat a hell of a lot more games out.

I'd agree with that. The problem with Wellens was the same thing as his strength, everything had to go through him and teams that knew this and dealt with it turned us over and made him look disinterested. I prefer the style of play we get with Whitaker, we have more options. His goals are a big plus too, Wellens really should have been scoring 10 a season for us.

Wellens any day of the week. Danny has a lot of promise but just needs a little bit more constistancy in his game I feel.

The only conceivable difference between the two is Wellens prefers to sit deep and dictate the play, whereas Whittaker likes to roam forward into the box. Whittaker probably scores more goals with that tactic and Wellens creates more by the same token.

The day Whittaker has an afternoon like Wellens did at Bradford then we could be onto something.

I'd agree with that. The problem with Wellens was the same thing as his strength, everything had to go through him and teams that knew this and dealt with it turned us over and made him look disinterested. I prefer the style of play we get with Whitaker, we have more options. His goals are a big plus too, Wellens really should have been scoring 10 a season for us.

When other teams concentrated on stopping Wellens play that normally meant them having two players on him virtually all the game which should have been to our advantage, i never understood how when Wellens was taking two players out of the game that our other players didnt take advantage of that. He never had anyone playing alongside him who was willing to take the game on.

Out of the two its Wellens every time, though i do like Whitaker he's impressed me since we signed him.

Wellens is probably the more cultured footballer, but Whittaker is chipping in fairly regularly with the goals for us, which is massive for us. Also Whittaker is confortable in possession as well and can definately pick a pass. Maybe not as aggressive as Wellens either but he does his fair share and we have the ratman alongside him for that. I would take our current midfield duo over Wellens and G Mac to be honest, much better balance and you can almost always count on the pair of them to put a decent shift in. We often had to carry Gary Mac and if we were losing, Wellens as well. Gives a stronger backbone and a bit more resolve having Allott and Whittaker, that's why we're so hard to beat this season. With Wellens and G Mac we often folded when we went behind.