Hughes last night

Maybe Hughes was one of those Shez said was in a comfort zone, but I thought he was brilliant last night, He ran his socks off and covered every blade of grass. The openings he created for himself in the first half, when he had two defenders breathing down his neck and his back towards goal, were top class. He terrorised their defence and with better finishing and a bit of luck he could have scored five.

When their keeper booted the ball into the stand after a corner had been given and he was booked for it, Hughes roared laughing and went up to joke with him. Hughes knew that he had got away with what should have been a booking for booting the ball unnecessarily to the back of the Main Stand earlier in the second half. He needs to cut out those actions that bring unnecessary bookings, otherwise he'll have an enforced absence.

When Lewis was substituted, Hughes shook his hand and patted his head.

Maybe Hughes was one of those Shez said was in a comfort zone, but I thought he was brilliant last night, He ran his socks off and covered every blade of grass. The openings he created for himself in the first half, when he had two defenders breathing down his neck and his back towards goal, were top class. He terrorised their defence and with better finishing and a bit of luck he could have scored five.

When their keeper booted the ball into the stand after a corner had been given and he was booked for it, Hughes roared laughing and went up to joke with him. Hughes knew that he had got away with what should have been a booking for booting the ball unnecessarily to the back of the Main Stand earlier in the second half. He needs to cut out those actions that bring unnecessary bookings, otherwise he'll have an enforced absence.

To be honest, I thought he was fantastic last night. But for their keeper, who I believe is the best in the League, he would have scored a hatful. His discipline worries me at times though, time and time again last night he was getting involved in things that didn't concern him and risking a second booking. That said, he lead the line superbly.

I agree, I think Hughes and Allott were two of the players Shez was referring to.

I thought Hughes had a fantastic game last night, as you say he ran his socks off and really deserved a goal and could have had 3 or 4 on his own.

For me it was a real mon of the match performance but was eclipsed by Lewis's hat-trick, had a great game though.

Edited by Hometownclub

I saw this the other way round. I though when the keeper booted the ball for the corner Hughes ran up to the ref and said no no no dont book him for that?!

He did terrorise that Pearce who was subsequently subsituted:D

I thought Hughes had a fantastic game last night, as you say he ran his socks off and really deserved a goal and could have had 3 or 4 on his own.

For me it was a real mon of the match performance but was eclipsed by Lewis's hat-trick, had a great game though.

Aye top2 were MOMs but 1to11 were fantastic

Hughesy was SOO SOO dangerous last nite ... just can't quite worl out how he didnt score ?!?!?!?

Lewi and Hughes are our best top2 by an absolute stretch ... the difference Lewi brought to the game even b4 the goal was fantastic and means Danny can focus on supporting the strikers instead of winning the ball once it's bounced back off them - I honestely think that is the reason we have looked overrun in the middle over the past few weeks. Controlled "out" balls to both strikers feet and we become an extemely dangerous unit again.

I thought Allott looked much more like his old self from last season and Rubes had his best game of the season for me too. These are two players that despite our fantastic start have been a little bit out of of sorts so far.

Agreed. Rubes made some crucial interceptions and tackles during those waves of Scunny pressure in the first half.

Hughes knew that he had got away with what should have been a booking for booting the ball unnecessarily to the back of the Main Stand earlier in the second half. He needs to cut out those actions that bring unnecessary bookings, otherwise he'll have an enforced absence.

I agree with the rest of your post apart from this Diego. When Hughes hoofed it high up into the main stand the ball was still in play and it hadn't stopped for a foul or anything. He was right on the touchline and the ball hadn't completely gone out. So he was well within his right to hammer the ball out of the ground if he so wished.

I agree with the rest of your post apart from this Diego. When Hughes hoofed it high up into the main stand the ball was still in play and it hadn't stopped for a foul or anything. He was right on the touchline and the ball hadn't completely gone out. So he was well within his right to hammer the ball out of the ground if he so wished.

I take your point - I also think the multi-ball system eliminates some bookings which might be interpreted as time-wasting. The keeper must have been booked for ungentlemanly conduct.

I saw this the other way round. I though when the keeper booted the ball for the corner Hughes ran up to the ref and said no no no dont book him for that?!

That's spot on, Hughes went up to the ref waving his hand asking him not to book the keeper for that, and then turned around after Murphy had been booked to have a joke with him (presumably about how sheeeeeite they thought the ref was).

I also noticed that as soon as the final whistle went Hughes walked straight up to Murphy and had a bit of a joke with him.

His skill in holdimg up the ball with two defenders on him, and turning to work openings was worthy of a veteran.

Definitely.

The way he positions himself between defender and ball usually means he can play it to a team mate or he draws a foul. As you say worthy of a veteran but for somebody so young to do it consistently is excellent.

Edited by RoytonBlueLad

I thought Allott looked much more like his old self from last season and Rubes had his best game of the season for me too. These are two players that despite our fantastic start have been a little bit out of of sorts so far.

Agree;

Ruubes has been a shadow of the player we saw last season at times recently, but, last night he was much improved. In the 1st 10-15mins, i lost count of the number of interceptions/blocks/tackles Ruuubes made. His best game in a while.

Allott was back to old self again too, which freed up Whitts to do what he does best, so the CM's were a functioning unit again.

Though, i can't help but link this to Lewis being back in the side, as his hold up & link up play free's both Allott & Whitts from having to ball chase after the ball has been pumped up top; it sticks with Lewis.

That's spot on, Hughes went up to the ref waving his hand asking him not to book the keeper for that, and then turned around after Murphy had been booked to have a joke with him (presumably about how sheeeeeite they thought the ref was).

I also noticed that as soon as the final whistle went Hughes walked straight up to Murphy and had a bit of a joke with him.

Hughes and Murphy were teammates at West Brom I think.

All in all reading this it seems to boil down to the fact we had a forward who chased down their back four and didn't allow them to be on the front foot. This in turn forced their midfield back... Allott back to his best as he had space and Rudes had his best game ...... yes you guessed it because their forwards were not in his face as they couldn't leave that big gap between their midfield and them.

Hughes performance complimented by the way Lewis plays, they share the work load up front both with their own style.

it's not rocket science to realise having the oppo on the back foot will win you games and going off recent results Lewis is the man to do this!!!!

Guest oa_exile
He needs to cut out those actions that bring unnecessary bookings, otherwise he'll have an enforced absence.

He is on four now, so just one away from a suspension. :wink:

Allott was back to old self again too, which freed up Whitts to do what he does best, so the CM's were a functioning unit again.

Though, i can't help but link this to Lewis being back in the side, as his hold up & link up play free's both Allott & Whitts from having to ball chase after the ball has been pumped up top; it sticks with Lewis.

I posted a while back that we were playing better football without Eardley in the team firing those long balls up to no-one all the time........... but whilst I still think this is true to a certain extent I think the biggest factor is what you say is getting Lewis back in the team. His hold up play allows us time to re shape and get midfield players up to support the front two. Plus I think with O'Grady or Davies in the side the temptation to hit it long is just to great.

From the first minute, Hughes and Lewis didn't give their back 4 a minutes peace and their centre halves must still be spinning this morning. As for Murphy, it's a pity that Hughes wasn't with us when we played them 2 seasons ago and Murphy at their place was behaving like a 1st class co@@, as Hughes could have just been laughing at him for being battered - the t i t!

Another Maradona moment on Saturday and then rested for the cup-tie?

If Hughes/Allott/Hazell do pick up a fifth booking - do they automatically miss the next game (i.e. Cheltenham in the cup)?

Also - what does that then mean for the slate? IS it another two yellows before a further suspension?

We could cope without Allott for a game (Maher) - Stam is almost ready to come back so if Reubs slips up then we would have cover.

Hughes would be the real miss I think - but rather it was the cup than the league. :o

Did you see their #5 in the last 10min, he was absolutely cream crackered and looked like he'd had enough. No wonder as Hughes led him a right merry dance last night. To be fair to the lad he kept going though, but I bet he thought 'thank f*%$ for that' when the final whistle went.

Hughes is a division above league 1 and hopefully he'll be a division higher there next season with Latics....pure class.