Leaving a game early

Sitting in the warmth of my lounge watching the North London derby, I can understand why many of the Spurs fans left at 4-2 down with two minutes left. They have no chance of salvaging anything from the game and it probably takes a while to get away from the ground when there are 60,000 others attempting the same...

But to those who stayed, I salute you - you got your reward and were part of history.

I have never left a game early and later regretted doing so. And as for staying on to the last moments - Southampton away in the league cup has to be the greatest I can remember (oh and there was that game against Wednesday). :grin:

Sitting in the warmth of my lounge watching the North London derby, I can understand why many of the Spurs fans left at 4-2 down with two minutes left. They have no chance of salvaging anything from the game and it probably takes a while to get away from the ground when there are 60,000 others attempting the same...

But to those who stayed, I salute you - you got your reward and were part of history.

I have never left a game early and later regretted doing so. And as for staying on to the last moments - Southampton away in the league cup has to be the greatest I can remember (oh and there was that game against Wednesday). :grin:

I've only ever left once before the final whistle, and that was that debacle against a team from Wales that to this day, as you can see I can't even talk about

I always say this - fair enough if there are reasons why you have to leave early, but to do it because of the way the result is looking is nuts. If you leave because we are getting hammered, then you 100% guarantee that you leave pissed off, whereas if you stay there is always some chance that you get to see a consolation goal at least. Only game I ever left early was a freebie for Palace vs somebody else, when I felt that getting some beer inside me was more vital to my well being than a few more minutes of crap.

Edited by leeslover

Great finish to the game last night and like you I understand why some left early, but they must be really regretting it now!

The last time I left a game early we were 7-0 down to Cardiff. Couldnt see us getting anything out of that game some how!

Great finish to the game last night and like you I understand why some left early, but they must be really regretting it now!

The last time I left a game early we were 7-0 down to Cardiff. Couldnt see us getting anything out of that game some how!

I definitely left that game early as I did for a game versus citeh at home (lost 5-2) - but I didn't regret leaving early for either of them - just needed to put as much distance between me and the ground...

The worst part for those Spurs who did leave the Emirates early is that when others are waxing lyrical about the sublime Jenas shot and the anguish when Modric hit the post and then the immediate explosion of joy as Lennon stabbed home the equaliser, all they can do is sit nursing their pints and thinking if only... :shock:

Guest oa_exile

FT: Spurs were down and out at 4-2 down but Jenas' brilliant finish and Lennon's close range effort completed a memorable comeback by Harry Redknapp's side.

90: It's all over and Spurs have taken an unlikely point in an incredible game.

90: Absolutely incredible finish to this game. Modric's shot is deflected off the post and Lennon is there to tap home the rebound. Arsenal are made to pay for not keeping possession in the closing stages.

90: GOAL - Would you believe it, Lennon has equalised for Spurs and the visitng fans are on the pitch. Unbelievable scenes!

90: Diaby is booked for a foul on Bentley and Spurs have a free-kick which Bentley will deliver into the box.

90: Jenas' header loops into the arms of Almunia. Half the home crowd have gone home, can Spurs find an incredible equaliser?

90: A gasp goes round the ground as four minutes of stoppage time is announced.

89: GOAL - With just moments to go Jenas takes advantage of a Clichy error and curls a brilliant effort into the back of the net. A nervy few minutes for the home side now.

How early is bad?

I left Swindon a few minutes before the end on Saturday, but there was no chance of anything at all that game, and the pub looked a much, much, much better option.

Swindon? No contest. We could have played until midnight and would have got nothing from the game. - The pub was by far the better option. :drinking45:

Guest oa_exile
I left early once. I had gone to Sheffield United on my own for a ZDS (or some other sponsor) Cup game. I had seen us go from 2-0 up to 7-2 down, and I left with two minutes to go for a quick getaway.

I feel better now for having confessed that to get it off my conscience!

Sometimes leaving early can be a bad thing, especially in those days.You could have bumped into the BBC outside :huh:

can never understand why people that do whwere we are they are usually the same peopl that miss the first 5 mins of the1st half are the 1st to leave at the end of the 1st half always the last to take thieir SEATS for the2nd half and alaways ths 1st to leave at the end???????????????????????????????????????? me on my soap box again

It's nice to see the stewards at the Emirates are similar to those at Colchester... But some might say celebrating with the oppo players is a tad extreme... :grin:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/e...rem/7684610.stm

I left early for my sister's wedding against Stoke at home in 2002. Was gutted as well - especially as the groom was late for the wedding...

And thanks for mentioning Southampton away and Wednesday at home. Two unforgettable endings that always bring a smile to my face!

Edited by martjs

It has to be a very poor performance for me to leave early. Off the top of my head, I only remember three games when I left early - Swindon on Sat, and the two games against Barnsley in the Ronnie Moore era.

I remember a good friend (you know who you are) leaving early, also against Barnsley, in the Talbot era when we were 2-1 down in injury time. Needless to say, he was a bit miffed when Killen and Vernon won it for us.

Edited by Ohh Johnny Eyre

I remember a good friend (you know who you are) leaving early, also against Barnsley, in the Talbot era when we were 2-1 down in injury time. Needless to say, he was a bit miffed when Killen and Vernon won it for us.

Tell :grin:

Remember jumping about like a loon with my brother when we got the equaliser and then walking out wondering how we'd managed to bag a winner as well! We don't tend to do stuff like that much.

I have only left early once and that was the match against Sheffield Wednesday (late 70,s early 80's) When the Wednesday fans rioted. I was in the then Ford Stand upper amongst lots of Wednesday supporters and I took my mates son who was 7 years old. I left because I thought it was safer for the boy.

:mainstand:

I remember my uncle leaving when we were 2-0 down to Leeds at BP in the great escape season and missing Ian Olney's 2 late goals. Still remind him of that to this very day :grin:

That was the game when dirty Leeds thought they had got rid of the curse, which they believe was imposed following the Play-off, when the went through on away goals, with that route since abolished. Cantona had scored two and Olney left them dazed, confused and cursing the curse! :grin: Happy daze!!

I've left early at away games, mainly because my dad wanted to and he was driving but nothing ever came of it. However, last year due to another appointment my dad and I left early (with me doing the driving this time, but it was him that wanted to leave) when 1 up against Donny. :angry: Lets just say I'm not leaving early ever again. As for the Cardiff game I stopped watching at 6-0 I think but due to being in posh seats went to watch some random rugby league on TV.