All things Hughes, liability, offside, sending off

Correct, last min of the game, home team chasing a goal and the oppo striker simply looks to take out the man to slow play up / kill time.

or

Correct, last min of the game, home team chasing a goal and the oppo striker simply looks to distract the man to slow play up / kill time.

.... how did the ref see it? His name proceeds him and I'm sure that 50/50 calls rarely go his way. Still, he's a big lad and must have know that this may happen before he made the choice to play again.

Personally, in relation to the patern of the game a little harse to say the least as not sure it would warrent a booking otherwise ...it wasn't like his other card was for foul play.

He had been spoken to by the ref and given a 'final warning' over something else a couple of minutes earlier, so the ref saw this as the final straw in terms of stupidity, and pulled out the two cards from 20 yards away. He couldn't even be bothered wasting his own time in runnig over to Hughes. As it turned out, Hughes took the best part of a minute to leave the field even though the incident happened by the touchline.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...it doesnt help when we play in that stupid Hi Vis kit and there were two stewards wearing the same on the far side in the refs Peripheral vision, I am sure it was them he was flagging at because the second goal was never offside!!!

I predicted this before the season started, and I was looking for the possibility of it happening yesterday. I would love to be able to agree with you on this point, but I say you're wrong, because their stewards who were along the line of the linesman's vision were all wearing orange. The fluo yellow stewards were all in the corners of the ground, and not near the offside decisions.

I'm convinced that it will happen one day though.

I predicted this before the season started, and I was looking for the possibility of it happening yesterday. I would love to be able to agree with you on this point, but I say you're wrong, because their stewards who were along the line of the linesman's vision were all wearing orange. The fluo yellow stewards were all in the corners of the ground, and not near the offside decisions.

I'm convinced that it will happen one day though.

agreed

stewards were in orange ... three / four St john's in the corner but way off the lino's vision

agreed

stewards were in orange ... three / four St john's in the corner but way off the lino's vision

I disagree with they weren’t in view and have video evidence so ner! lol

One point though you are both right on is they were St Johns folk not stewards.

The stroll of one of the spec wearing lifesavers coincided with the second disallowed goal.

I am not saying thats why he flagged but if players warming up have to wear bibs to avoid confusion then what do we do with stewards and St johns folk lol

I remember when chaddy was removed from pitch side as one linesman was getting confused so this stupid kit is bound to be a bit of a hindrance because we are getting caught offside and playing apposing players onside lol

Also Lee didn’t kick the ball into the stand there was a sudden gust of wind! Lol Also from a steward!! lol

I disagree with they weren’t in view and have video evidence so ner! lol

One point though you are both right on is they were St Johns folk not stewards.

The stroll of one of the spec wearing lifesavers coincided with the second disallowed goal.

I am not saying thats why he flagged but if players warming up have to wear bibs to avoid confusion then what do we do with stewards and St johns folk lol

I remember when chaddy was removed from pitch side as one linesman was getting confused so this stupid kit is bound to be a bit of a hindrance because we are getting caught offside and playing apposing players onside lol

Also Lee didn’t kick the ball into the stand there was a sudden gust of wind! Lol Also from a steward!! lol

Are you from the planet Whoooosh?

Agreed but it doesnt help when we play in that stupid Hi Vis kit and there were two stewards wearing the same on the far side in the refs Peripheral vision, I am sure it was them he was flagging at because the second goal was never offside!!!

But the two stewards/st jonhs ambulance men surely cant have been interfering with play.

But the two stewards/st jonhs ambulance men surely cant have been interfering with play.

Good point, but on this morning's Championship programme there was a case of a player in an offside position but not interfering with play in the first, second or third phases, but the Ref's assistant gave him offside and the goal was disallowed - think it was Swansea, but I may be wrong. The fact that the assistant was a woman is purely coincidental. :lol:

There stood on the farside moving along the line, my point is its off putting and no different to subs warming up in full kit.

But still not interfering with play. If one of our players was on the far side of the pitch and moving he wouldn't be flagged, and neither would a steward.

And anyways, if thats the case then its the Latics fans fault for voting for such a godawful kit.

But still not interfering with play. If one of our players was on the far side of the pitch and moving he wouldn't be flagged, and neither would a steward.

And anyways, if thats the case then its the Latics fans fault for voting for such a godawful kit.

Players have to wear bibs for that reason.

I think the kits Horrendous full stop.

he deliberately kicked the ball at the linesman

That for me is why the ref was looking out for him I don't think he was trying to hit the linesman but it was a gesture towards him. Mess with the official like that and you are always taking a big chance

luckily keeping with his finishing skills at the moment he sliced it 6 yards wide.

Remind me of the name of the player who put the ball in the net twice and hit a post once?The offside flag has no bearing on the fact that he finished them. Discipline aside he had a very good game. It was brainless that he wouldn't get off the pitch, but the fact that he was so worked up hardly shows that he was trying to get sent off or doesn't care about the club

If a large Owl can be mistaken for a player, then so can a steward or St Johns guy :wink:

Exactly ...played League in the halves for 25 years, I talked a great game !!! Take that away from my game and I wouldn't achieve half the things I have.

Should he keep a low profile to avoid trouble .... if Hughes does that he'll be half the player.

Watching Hughes from day one he's had a love / hate relationship with many a ref and crowds, arms round the ref, clapping all four sides of bEllend road when subbed ... any other person would simply make a diving action with their hands to a ref... not Hughes he actually dives, I could go on and on. He keeps you entertained one way of another and I hope this continues.

His actions you don't normally see outside the premiership ........ you can get away with them there but not in the lower

leagues.... especially with his history.

Sorry but this is all bollocks...for the simple reason that he didn't need to do it all last season but was the same player! Yeah, he did still provide some antics ala Millwall away and sailed close to the wind but this season he's become a joke with it! Great player but a prick too. I'm sick of talking about his handling of the ball week in week out! If he wants the ball in his hand then fook off and play basketball Lee!!! He's been allowed to get away with these yellows for too long now and it's finally, as it always would, lead to suspensions and this rection from fans.

From my memory:

Oldham 1-1 Leicester - Handballs into the net...yellow card

Swindon 2-0 Oldham - Absolutely ludicrous handball for the penalty (to go 2-0 down) that gives us very little chance back in the game

Oldham 3-0 Scunthorpe - Booked (can't remember if it was petulance or handball for this one?)

Oldham 0-2 Yeovil - Absolute joke to react like he did...even had the ball for a good second or two before deciding to launch it

Northampton 0-1 Oldham - 1st yellow exactly the same as Yeovil game

There is no excuse, no sense of injustice and no way he shouldn't be getting fined for his current actions. The games he's suspended due to his actions are the ones we miss and need him doing what he can do with the ball at his feet! And he wonders why with this and his injury proneness that he hasn't been offered a new deal.

One final thought....Hazell's been on 4 yellow cards for weeks now....nice to see him keeping it professional and cutting them out! You could learn a lot from him Hughes!

Edited by boundaryblue80

Amazing how many other teams supporters voted for that awful kit !!!

About as trustworthy as an american election vote in Florida !!!!

n702106199_1147190_7492.jpg

This was the Hughes offside (2nd goal) and I must admit I am still not 100%

I don’t think he is offside, as this picture was taken slightly after the ball was played and Hughes was even further back, NO offside for me if money was involved.

There are however luminous folk in the background which IMO if the Lino is looking at the player passing the ball cause uncertainty in his peripheral vision.

Not helped by one or two safety stewards (who were in yellow) wandering the line.

Right or Wrong discuss.

Also one other point, After seeing the highlights on LW Hughes had his back to the ref when he flashed the second card as he was talking to Sheridan and didnt realise he had been booked!

You can lip read his conversation with the fourth official as he asked him if he’d been booked and the Northampton Boss Sympathised as did their player who eventually told him.

I don’t think he is offside, as this picture was taken slightly after the ball was played and Hughes was even further back, NO offside for me if money was involved.

There are however luminous folk in the background which IMO if the Lino is looking at the player passing the ball cause uncertainty in his peripheral vision.

Not helped by one or two safety stewards (who were in yellow) wandering the line.

Right or Wrong discuss.

Absolutely right -

It CAN cause confusion (whether it did here or not i don't know) but the fact remains that the colours clash.

If a sub was warming up in a similar position he would be asked to move or cover his top.

Can't believe that clubs have allowed the shirt manufacturers to dictate what colours teams should wear away.

Don't let anybody kid you it was supporters choice it was a commercial business decision.

They should be scrapped.

Right or Wrong discuss.

Hughes is not offside in the picture but, as you say, the ball has already been played.

The fluo yellow people in the corner are beyond the deadball line, where the Lino would not be looking (direct or peripheral).

P.S. I think your sight has deteriorated since someone stuck a Latics badge in your left eye. :grin:

So are you suggesting the offside was given because of the gaggle of Fascists in the corner?

I am saying that its Hard on a linesman if he's expected to give a decision of offside when he has to look at two things at once, and their (stewards/ St Johns) are in the background, it’s a distraction.

In this case I think the Lino played it safe and it didn’t help with Taylor coming back from an offside position.

If our subs had worn the match top in warm up the fourth official would have pulled them in and made sure they covered up.

If chaddy the Owl was a distraction to one Lino then a wandering safety officer/s walking in between the Line and advertising boards must be.

And IMO I am sure that was a contributing factor yesterday in some way or another.

Hughes is not offside in the picture but, as you say, the ball has already been played.

The fluo yellow people in the corner are beyond the deadball line, where the Lino would not be looking (direct or peripheral).

P.S. I think your sight has deteriorated since someone stuck a Latics badge in your left eye. :grin:

Hughes was more ONSIDE when the ball was played and the steward in yellow had just previously walked along the line but theres no way of knowing for sure.

I am Just against this Kit and Hughes being tagged as worse than porter for offsides lol

What happens when the whole stand wears the same colour replica kit????

Then we are supporting the wrong side! and should be eating Prawn sandwiches lol

Lets face it at boundary park how many luminous cars do you see? What I mean is one Lino looks at the bloody Car park lol And the other side the stand is full of Tweed and Grey hair so its not going to be a problem unless we play in tweed and grey as our home kit, Mr Hardy don’t even think of it!!! lmao