Englands Main Rival

Who would you say was Englands number 1 rival?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you say was Englands number 1 rival?

• Scotland
    • Germany
    • Argentina
    • Ireland
    • France
    • Italy
    • Holland
    • other

It's an interesting question what with us playing Germany tonight and the whole Maradona-Scotland 'love-in'.

Myself I'd still say Scotland, although there isnt the same animosity in England, Germany always consider Holland to be the main rivals in International Football going back to the days of Total Football vs Libero. Argentina see Brazil or Uruguay as traditional rivals spanning back centuries and we've only met Argentina 14 times in our history. I feel the rivalries with Argentina and Germany are more to do with conflict rather than Football

Other notable countries include France, Italy, Rep of Ireland and Holland. I feel with Italy and Holland it's more a hooligan related thing, with France and Ireland it's conflict again

It's an interesting question what with us playing Germany tonight and the whole Maradona-Scotland 'love-in'.

Myself I'd still say Scotland, although there isnt the same animosity in England, Germany always consider Holland to be the main rivals in International Football going back to the days of Total Football vs Libero. Argentina see Brazil or Uruguay as traditional rivals spanning back centuries and we've only met Argentina 14 times in our history. I feel the rivalries with Argentina and Germany are more to do with conflict rather than Football

Other notable countries include France, Italy, Rep of Ireland and Holland. I feel with Italy and Holland it's more a hooligan related thing, with France and Ireland it's conflict again

Scotland, especially since I've experienced life North of the Border!

Comes to somethin when they hero worship a cheating fat druggie dwarf over a goal v England from 20 plus years ago.

Thank god they're crap or life would be unbearable. C'mon the Argies!!

gotta be the jocks due to a number of things including the history, obviously there is always animosity due to the conflict that was centuries old but also our match is the oldest in world football too so theres history in the footy side of it. gotta agree with the point that the other rivalries we have seemed to be based on conflicts, though i do enjoy them and plus there has been a couple of good matches to stoke the rivalries too e.g. 1966 world cup final vs. Germany, the 1998 WC 2nd round game vs. Argies to name a few

I dont hate Scotland. Well for a start, it'd be stupid seeing as i'm part Scottish myself. I actually want Scotland to win and get to tournaments. I love Scotland's fans and the atmosphere north of the border for that Italy game was immense and that was just in the pub - nevermind Hampden or Glasgow Green. However, the atmosphere was very anti English, which wasnt nice for me to be at, though I did well to not let on I was English and managed to get by with just saying "aye" to anyone who spoke randomly about the game. Would of got lynched if they'd known I was from down south - especially when that last minute winner for Italy went in. The venom and hatred young lads spouted the braveheart/william wallace monologue which was beamed out over the sound system was shocking. Just glad I remembered to take off my St Georges pin badge as I was going in the place.

Personally, I hate the Germans when it comes to football. Never been fans of them, but I met a few German's on holiday in Lloret De Mar about 4 years back who were absolute c*cks and spouted nothing but sh*te about England regarding football. Same with the Swiss, though at least they bought us loads of Vodka whilst they told us how much they hated England.

As for the Argies. Not really mithered about them. Same with most countries really, I dont have any hatred for them. I hate Cypriots (well only the young lads) more than any other country, though that's not football related. Horrible filthy vermin!

Edited by Rocky_Latic

For me the one team I'd hate to loose most to in the worlds is Wales. But that's because my Dad's Welsh and he wouldn't let me hear the end of it. However in terms of rivalry I can't really pick any British team as I consider myself British first and English second. Probably the answer for me overall is Germany but this could be an age thing as I'm not old enough to remember '86 but I am to remember '90 and so think of Germany over Argentina. However, rivalries can vary over time and the number of times we played Ireland in competitive games in the early 90s would have given them a good shout. Likewise for Portugal a few years back and I suppose Croatia now. You never know in 10 years time we could have played the likes of Spain or Australia a lot in crucial games and could develop a stronger rivalry there. After all I think in terms of football rivalries you need a bit of history away from the football pitch between the two countries for a strong rivalry to blossom.

I'm surprised that anyone but Germany could be considered. Obviously the none-football history plays a part, but then it does in most big rivalries. Englan vs Scotland, Germany vs Holland etc.

I do agree with Germany, however I'm stunned Portugal are not mentioned.

After recent tournaments, and the rise of a certain Man Yoo winger... for me they are the team I want to beat more thna any other... not really a rivalry, but I would want to stuff them in a mjor tournament more than any other team....

I do agree with Germany, however I'm stunned Portugal are not mentioned.

After recent tournaments, and the rise of a certain Man Yoo winger... for me they are the team I want to beat more thna any other... not really a rivalry, but I would want to stuff them in a mjor tournament more than any other team....

I'm amazed Finland aren't up there. A right bunch of bastards that lot.

I voted Argies.

Even though we are not usually that good, Scotland will never be good enough to be anything other than annoying. You get the feeling that Germany dont hate us back like we hate them. But with the Argies, theres mutual loathing there. They cant stand us, and I for one cant stand them greasy cheating Argies.

Last night was good, and at least it was a friendly that felt like a proper game...but when we beat the Argies in that friendly a couple of years back, that was belting. Both sides deperate to win, and it was a cracking game.