Stadium plans shelved

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What worries me regarding the halting of the stadium plans is what happens should this, as is being widely hinted at, turn out to be no ordinary recession but something much worse.

I'm aware that should the worst happen football might be the last thing on the minds of most of us-I'm simply focusing on what this means for the future of the club. Would TTA stick around with no prospect of developing the stadium and land, for instance? Would there be any chance of a buyer for the club anywhere near as good as they've been? Or any buyer at all?

What makes me laugh is why nobody questioned why the Lookers was knocked down in the summer, we all knew this recession was kicking in. Didnt take a genius to work out did it.

I suspect TTAs knew exactly what was happening. knocked the Lookers down anyway to save on costs of opening the 4th stand this season. Makes financial sense and also stops the fans moaning about moving seats when they dont have a choice because the stand isnt even there.

What worries me regarding the halting of the stadium plans is what happens should this, as is being widely hinted at, turn out to be no ordinary recession but something much worse.

I'm aware that should the worst happen football might be the last thing on the minds of most of us-I'm simply focusing on what this means for the future of the club. Would TTA stick around with no prospect of developing the stadium and land, for instance? Would there be any chance of a buyer for the club anywhere near as good as they've been? Or any buyer at all?

You can rest assured that there are only a few of us worrying about the questions you raise. Most Oldhamers can't be arsed, which is why BP wasn't redeveloped long before the current economic situation.

Shame the plebs on the council didn't have the same thoughts. If this could have been put through say a year earlier we would have been much further along the way.

Not sure if that would have been such a good thing! If that was the case we could be halfway through the project having invested millions and having to put it on hold

Shame the plebs on the council didn't have the same thoughts. If this could have been put through say a year earlier we would have been much further along the way.

We could actually have been in a fantastic (being selfish) position if we’d been a year ahead of where we were. We’d have sold right at the top of the market, and have cash in the bank at a time when construction costs will be plummeting. Most likely the development wouldn’t have gone ahead and unless it was a big firm that had bought the land they could well have gone under, but Latics would be sitting pretty.

Well I do apologise for posting something that I thought may be of interest to some people. Smack my wrist.

Just felt that without the various comments on the story, it might have been taken as TTA making a fresh decision, interpreted by some as going back on their word.

You don't need to apologise for posting it - I have been the victim of posters putting the wrong interpretation on a story, even before they'd read it. :grin:

What makes me laugh is why nobody questioned why the Lookers was knocked down in the summer, we all knew this recession was kicking in. Didnt take a genius to work out did it.

I suspect TTAs knew exactly what was happening. knocked the Lookers down anyway to save on costs of opening the 4th stand this season. Makes financial sense and also stops the fans moaning about moving seats when they dont have a choice because the stand isnt even there.

with you on this....... should never have been demolished until the dotted line was signed for a replacement........ typical boundary park blooper ??........or a strategic move of genius ??........as ever, we`ll never really know. but if you think back to how porter was able to just walk away, it may give us a clue as to the reason for the big empty space we are now lumped with down one side of the ground.

Wasnt the Lookers was pulled down due to financial,mainly maintainance and Insurance reasons ?

nah......justification propaganda that`s all........ obviously counted their chickens too early. and now there is an indefinite and embarrassing gap in the boundary park ground !!

Note to self: Do not make jokes at young ladies expense as they will ask to be spanked.

Notice I did say wrist... I know what you lot are like!

I work in the construction side of things, so I assumed from this article that the company used for designing the new ground and any contractors involved may have been told that this is the case, but it's more of a solid thing if it's coming from them.

I did a review for Latics earlier on in the year to advise on how to save money by reducing bills and other eco warrior type things (although I didn't say to know things down!), so like people have said, the maintenance on that place would have been a lot. I know some people have passed comments on the floodlights not being turned on til the last minute... you wouldn't believe how much money that saves the club!!!

I did Notice you lot like one off the wrist

No need to get so personal about it, two wrongs don't make a right.

I don't suppose TTA would have envisaged having a 3 sided ground for any period of time when they took over, but with the ground half empty anyway and times as hard as they are, thank God they took the decision. If closing the Lookers saves enough for a couple of half season loans to make the difference, or balances it so that we keep one of the young players who will be bid for (or at least hold out for a decent price) then it will be well worth it.