another opportunity lost...

So you honestly wouldnt have taken 10 points from the last 12?

7 from the last 9?

I know I would have!

Good God, anyone would think that we'd just lost the FA Cup final, or got relegated or something!

Cheer up, you're just sounding pathetic noe now! ^_^

Edit - Stopped myself sounding scottish ;)

Edited by JoeLatics

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange! I could have sworn we have only lost 1 game at BP and won most - silly ole me - how on earth did you cope last season when we couldnt win f'toffee at BP? Must've wanted to kill Shezza and co. WAS frustrating 2day but these things happen - no need for a ridiculous knee jerk reaction and Shezz hunt - you lot are funny! Was glad the atmos was reignited in the RRE today - thought the honeymoon period was over but we sang a lot today. BTW that ref was a complete winker - the steward had to have words with me i was thagt pissed with him!!

Is that what he said? Oops, sounds slightly defeatist to me.... sure the TTA will be loving that we are aiming for 'aint bad... also, thought the leage was 46 games... still a few to go John... and we still havent figured out how to beat mediocre teams at home (lets be honest - we could have lost to walsall too)... Leyton orient and the toothless carlisle will be licking their lips.

Also... the way leicester are playing... think we are going to be far further than 6 points away from the top very soon...

Ah well, as john has said, 10 points from the last 4 "aint bad" ... and looking forward to Posh, seems to be the type of game we enjoy. However, the locals will be getting restless again soon enough with results like that..

The second spot in this league is utterly up for grabs. However the other teams around us have the ability to beat crap teams at home. Sod this false position for brighton lark... they have lost thier last 4. Should have been 5.

I think both the top two places are up for grabs but I just don't think we have enough quality to put in a sustained challenge!!

Remember this is a make or break season for the team and for Shez...we simply have to go up this season for reasons already discussed.

Against 10 men we are dire and whatever we've done in the three previous games we could and should have had 3 more points yesterday and it will be missed opportunities like that that is the difference between automatic and playoffs.

A little gap is developing at the top of the table and we need to make sure it gets no bigger. Peterboro' next week is a very difficult game and a point is now the minimum requirement or we could be 8 or 9 points behind the top two!!

If both Chris Taylor and Hughes leave in January we haven't a cat in hells chance of promotion...who's going to score the goals?

Edited by oafc1955

Crossley - decent game - not sure why Gregan gave him an earful for the goal.

I'd hazard a guess at the fact that "Mr Cardboard Cut-out"s first reaction to the run on goal (wher eGreagan was also at fault) was to turn round to see it in the back of the net!

I'd hazard a guess at the fact that "Mr Cardboard Cut-out"s first reaction to the run on goal (wher eGreagan was also at fault) was to turn round to see it in the back of the net!

greegan was done for pace by a ball over the top....never stood a chance,same as crossley,it was a quality strike into the top of the net,excellent goal and crossley had not much chance with it...they can both blame each other if they want.

greegan was done for pace by a ball over the top....never stood a chance,same as crossley,it was a quality strike into the top of the net,excellent goal and crossley had not much chance with it...they can both blame each other if they want.

I'd agree that Gregan was done for pace (though I still thoght he could have got an early head n it, but you're seriously telling me that Crossley couldn't have come and closed the angles?

I'd agree that Gregan was done for pace (though I still thoght he could have got an early head n it, but you're seriously telling me that Crossley couldn't have come and closed the angles?

yes...because of his age....a younger keeper would have come out in a flash to try to nick it away or at the very least make himself look big and try to block the shot..crossley isnt young anymore and his mobility prevents him from making certain saves.

Yes. Gregan was done for pace, but he should have had cover from Hazell, who basically stood statuesque as their man belted through on goal. That said, it was a completely spawny 'hack' of a through ball, and caught everyone out a bit, apart from Murray who was on it like a flash.

Actually, in reflection they weren't too bad a team albeit slightly OTT physically, which you'd expect from a Micky Adams side. Thought their front two looked a danger all game, as well as having an outstanding keeper. They just looked shaky as feck at the back which we didn't exploit enough.

yes...because of his age....a younger keeper would have come out in a flash to try to nick it away or at the very least make himself look big and try to block the shot..crossley isnt young anymore and his mobility prevents him from making certain saves.

Are you having a laugh? Did you actually see where the ball landed as it was hacked through? I know Crossley ain't the fastest, but Christ on skates, show me a keeper that can cover 25 yards in about 2 seconds.

Still, let's not mentioned the belting save Norm made about ten minutes after the goal to keep us level eh?

Are you having a laugh? Did you actually see where the ball landed as it was hacked through? I know Crossley ain't the fastest, but Christ on skates, show me a keeper that can cover 25 yards in about 2 seconds.

Still, let's not mentioned the belting save Norm made about ten minutes after the goal to keep us level eh?

im not saying he is at fault.im saying he isnt as mobile as he used to be...and obviously thought he stood more chance were he was....

We didn't deserve to win today.

Another frustrating performance against a lower placed side even if they are in a false position.

We struggle to break these sides down at home and just resort to long balls.

Most times it plays into their hands.

In the last 4 home games we have failed to beat 3 teams who are in the bottom 5.

The one thing that really frustatated me though was Brightons constant shirt tugging.

Every time a latics player turned every brighton player without exception tugged the shirt.

Not once did they get pulled up for it.

They obviously practice it in training and it is extremely annoying.

Because the team is more than capable of it and because we're losing ground, despite the last three games.

Just out of idle curiosity, as one takes a break from getting oneself a life, how have you calculated that we're losing ground Corp? From what point have you taken the benchmark? After 6 games? Or after 13 games maybe after 15 games? Just curious like.

I'd like to know the stats of the ratio to amount of crosses (whether good uns, corners or just plain crap high as a kite bombs) we have to a Latic head heading it. We just don't win enough balls from crosses in the box. Either headed toward goal or at least keeping it alive in the box were it matters.

We didn't lose but it's still not convincing folks.

Just out of idle curiosity, as one takes a break from getting oneself a life, how have you calculated that we're losing ground Corp? From what point have you taken the benchmark? After 6 games? Or after 13 games maybe after 15 games? Just curious like.

I call fallng further behind the leaders despite having topped the table ourselves earlier this season losing ground, although I accept that you might well regard it as progress.

I'm not interested in the play-offs. We won't win them (that's a prediction based on past performance as well as the way this season's side performs when under pressure). I want automatic promotion.

I'm not interested in the play-offs. We won't win them (that's a prediction based on past performance as well as the way this season's side performs when under pressure). I want automatic promotion.

Would you concede then Corp, that getting into the play-offs, given this season is considerably stronger at the top*, would be progress?

* Going off the theory that our current points tally would have topped the table at the same point last season.

Would you concede then Corp, that getting into the play-offs, given this season is considerably stronger at the top*, would be progress?

* Going off the theory that our current points tally would have topped the table at the same point last season.

It might be. I still have no faith in our ability to win through when under that kind of pressure. I have no interest, either, in another vastly expensive day out to see some fellow Latics fans in tears again, whether it's a final or a semi-final away day.

I still don't feel optimistic either about slipping down the table, particularly when recovered ground is then lost against mediocre sides (somebody tell us again how Brighton are in 'a false position.') I want us to be at the top all season, particularly if this is, as many seem to believe, the best team we can hope for and that TTA will cut costs if we fail to go up. I'm fussy like that.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

I must admit, I'd far rather we went up automatically ... another play-off disappointment would be hard to take.

We should have won on Saturday, but we let a shocking referee and some physical opposition get under our skins too much, and were frustratingly incapable of making the extra man count.

Of course, these games do happen in a season ... the key to our success is making sure they happen as rarely as possible, and that we go out and steal the points somewhere we might not be expected to (Peterboro would be nice) to make up for it.

What are we - four points off 2nd place? We need to peg that gap and then beat the teams around us.

particularly when recovered ground is then lost against mediocre sides (somebody tell us again how Brighton are in 'a false position.')

Because they're clearly better than teams in and around them like Cheltenham, Swindon and Hereford. They also have a bigger budget than all those sides, as well as us. Personally, I just think they have a vastly overrated manager myself, and they've been a bit unlucky with injuries too.

You know Corp, there's a club motto. It's embroidered on every players shirt for a start: Keep The Faith. I take it you've never bought into that in any way, shape or form.

ground is then lost against mediocre sides

But the reason none of the other promotion contenders are on enormously different points tallies to us is because they keep losing ground against mediocre sides as well.

The gap between the top sides and the also rans in this division is not so great that any team is going to beat them as often as you seem to want us to believe is necessary for it to be deemed acceptable. The gap in standard is narrow enough that over a 46 game season all the top teams are going to drop points against mediocre teams on quite a few occasions.

For example did you know that Leicester lost to Brighton and could only manage draws at home to Northampton and Walsall.

Millwall lost to Brighton and could only manage draws with Orient, Northampton and Southend.

MK Dons have lost at home to Swindon and Stockport and could only manage a draw against Crewe.

Peterborough lost to Hartlepool and Southend whilst Brighton, Crewe, Carlisle, Northampton, Tranmere and Swindon all held them to a draw.

Scunthorpe lost to Walsall and Tranmere and could only draw with Orient, Southend ans Swindon.

Leeds lost to Northampton, Southend, Tranmere and Huddersfield and could only draw with Yeovil and Bristol Rovers.

Thats a fair bit of ground they've all lost to mediocre teams. So my question is, are all the other top teams nigh on as crap as us or are we nigh on as good as them?

Edited by M_OAFC

Because they're clearly better than teams in and around them like Cheltenham, Swindon and Hereford. They also have a bigger budget than all those sides, as well as us. Personally, I just think they have a vastly overrated manager myself, and they've been a bit unlucky with injuries too.

You know Corp, there's a club motto. It's embroidered on every players shirt for a start: Keep The Faith. I take it you've never bought into that in any way, shape or form.

Are you serious? My faith ran out about four years ago. I've never been able to feel the same since the team, through it's own ineptitude, let safety slip away and was left battling it out to stay in the division on the last day of the season against Bradford. Now I just go out of sheer dogged loyalty and a wish to see the club survive in the long-term. I find it difficult, after the last decade, to imagine the club actually thriving, however.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

But the reason none of the other promotion contenders are on enormously different points tallies to us is because they keep losing ground against mediocre sides as well.

The gap between the top sides and the also rans in this division is not so great that any team is going to beat them as often as you seem to want us to believe is necessary for it to be deemed acceptable. The gap in standard is narrow enough that over a 46 game season all the top teams are going to drop points against mediocre teams on quite a few occasions.

For example did you know that Leicester lost to Brighton and could only manage draws at home to Northampton and Walsall.

Millwall lost to Brighton and could only manage draws with Orient, Northampton and Southend.

MK Dons have lost at home to Swindon and Stockport and could only manage a draw against Crewe.

Peterborough lost to Hartlepool and Southend whilst Brighton, Crewe, Carlisle, Northampton, Tranmere and Swindon all held them to a draw.

Scunthorpe lost to Walsall and Tranmere and could only draw with Orient, Southend ans Swindon.

Leeds lost to Northampton, Southend, Tranmere and Huddersfield and could only draw with Yeovil and Bristol Rovers.

Thats a fair bit of ground they've all lost to mediocre teams. So my question is, are all the other top teams nigh on as crap as us or are we nigh on as good as them?

Now thats not fair using fact to agree your case!!!!

I accept your argument, but, as I said, I'm not really interested in the statistics of it all and different permutations regarding how things might turn out. I just want us to get to an automatic promotion place and stay there. Latics sides in the past have managed it; why not this one?

I still don't feel optimistic either about slipping down the table, particularly when recovered ground is then lost against mediocre sides (somebody tell us again how Brighton are in 'a false position.')

What recovered ground has been lost then? Shall I be just as selective at choosing my seasons bench mark? So up to say Yeovil we had indeed lost ground with the 2 successive away defeats but at the end of that game with Yeovil we were 1 point outside the playoffs, 4 off second, 5 off top. Now we're 3 points clear in the play offs 4 off second 6 off top, hardly losing ground eh?

Anyway nice to see you set the seasons benchmark at 6 games in, when we were top, how logical and utterly credible of you. Lets be honest though when we were top you'd still have been using the phrase "I still don't feel optimistic"