Louis Theroux

Rocky_Latic

Anyone watched any of his programmes?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00fy...n_Philadelphia/

Philly looks an absolute dive.

Philly looked sweet compared to Johannesbourg on tonight's show.

Interesting as his programs are, I think Theroux is a turd of the first order. He sneaks in between the area of concerned well-meaning documentary maker and those that openly wallow in misery. He was actually hamstrung in the Philly one because nobody cared enough about getting onto his show to reveal more of themselves than they wanted to (possibly because most of them were under the influence of epic quantities of narcotics).

He does seem to know what makes good tv though.

His documentary last year on the Fag-bashing Christian zealots in the US was designed to shock, and did exactly that.

His researchers should take a lot of credit for getting him his contacts and leads, while he cleverly appears to bumble along looking shocked, concerned and surprised at the plight of the people he is filming.

I agree that he is exploiting peoples misery to further his career, but unfortunately a lot of us find programmes like last night compulsive viewing - maybe we're as bad?

I remember paying a taxi driver to show us round the worst areas of the Bronx a few years back, and was amazed and nervous at how dangerous it was. Fair play to Louis, he is getting in there himself, and showing us these kinds of places at first hand.

He does seem to know what makes good tv though.

His documentary last year on the Fag-bashing Christian zealots in the US was designed to shock, and did exactly that.

His researchers should take a lot of credit for getting him his contacts and leads, while he cleverly appears to bumble along looking shocked, concerned and surprised at the plight of the people he is filming.

I agree that he is exploiting peoples misery to further his career, but unfortunately a lot of us find programmes like last night compulsive viewing - maybe we're as bad?

I remember paying a taxi driver to show us round the worst areas of the Bronx a few years back, and was amazed and nervous at how dangerous it was. Fair play to Louis, he is getting in there himself, and showing us these kinds of places at first hand.

When's he in Glodwick??

Guest oa_exile
Philly looks an absolute dive.

In the early 90's I worked for Elf Atochem and visited for a global meeting at their Corporate office in Philli.

Anyway one of my U.S. colleagues took me for a drive around Philli after the second day of the meeting.....more of a case of me saying "Any chance of a look around while I'm here".

Anyway on the biggest mistakes I have ever made a totally frightening place, not dowtown but the backstreets of Philli.

I remember telling him saying to him after about 15 minutes into the "backstreet tour" ."Get me the :censored: out of here" :shock:

:blink:

Anyway on the biggest mistakes I have ever made a totally frightening place, not dowtown but the backstreets of Philli.

I remember telling him saying to him after about 15 minutes into the "backstreet tour" ."Get me the :censored: out of here" :shock:

Reminds me of when I went to Florida, when I was 16 and we ended up in some black area just behind Downtown Orlando having just come off the plane, given keys and told nothing but to have a good holiday. We were a bit lost to say the least. Let's just say, I dont think they see many White people venturing there at night. Never been so imtimidated in my life - Just bodies moving in and out of the darkness and riding past the car on bikes staring in. First and only time i've ever seen gun's waved about as if it was normal. If it wasnt for the female copper, or the petrol clerk who told us where she was. Then I dont think we'd of been coming out of there with anything. Welcome to America!

Luckily the brochure parts of Florida/Orland and Miami we did visit was class, so I wouldnt mind going back.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

:blink:

Reminds me of when I went to Florida, when I was 16 and we ended up in some black area just behind Downtown Orlando having just come off the plane, given keys and told nothing but to have a good holiday. We were a bit lost to say the least. Let's just say, I dont think they see many White people venturing there at night. Never been so imtimidated in my life - Just bodies moving in and out of the darkness and riding past the car on bikes staring in. First and only time i've ever seen gun's waved about as if it was normal. If it wasnt for the female copper, or the petrol clerk who told us where she was. Then I dont think we'd of been coming out of there with anything. Welcome to America!

Luckily the brochure parts of Florida/Orland and Miami we did visit was class, so I wouldnt mind going back.

Seen people openly displaying guns in both Los Angeles (Angry man in a car!) and Londonderry's Bogside estate (A youth showing off) - It is a surreal sight when you spot them on the streets, kind of like a polar bear in the desert. Let's hope it stays a rare thing, cos I wouldn't want my daughter growing up in a place where it is a common sight.

And here's me planning* on going on holiday to Philly (along with State College, LA and San Diego) next year...

A bit of commonsense and good planning and I can't think anything goes wrong. If it does I'll just pop a cap in their ass**.

*Then again I've "planned" more holidays than some*** have had hot dinners.

**Hide behind my brother.

***Fructarians

Seen people openly displaying guns in both Los Angeles (Angry man in a car!) and Londonderry's Bogside estate (A youth showing off) - It is a surreal sight when you spot them on the streets, kind of like a polar bear in the desert. Let's hope it stays a rare thing, cos I wouldn't want my daughter growing up in a place where it is a common sight.

Probably as wise to drop the, “London,” bit next time you are passing through Bogside, if only until you are a safe distance from people with guns...

I had an interesting detour round downtown LA one time. Me and two other pasty English boys in shorts and t-shirts ended up being led to where we could get a bus at midnight by a local, who was a black bloke smoking what was quite possibly the largest hand-rolled cigarette ever. We could see that he wasn’t taking us the most direct route and it was certainly in the back of my mind that we were going to go round a corner and never come back again. Realised afterwards that he had led us around the worst bits, but still saw a few guns and any number of whacked out junkies. Nice.

In the early 90's I worked for Elf Atochem and visited for a global meeting at their Corporate office in Philli.

Anyway one of my U.S. colleagues took me for a drive around Philli after the second day of the meeting.....more of a case of me saying "Any chance of a look around while I'm here".

to be honest if the place wasn't as 'hard' - 'tough' or whatever, the programme and one or two on here have made out.... they wouldn't have people like these two being born and bred there.....

'Wild Bill' Guarnere and 'Babe' Heffron from Easy Company (the band of brothers!!) for the unknowing...

click to view, and all due respects to the people who own the photo's etc.... heffronguarnerezb3.th.jpg

Edited by thetramdriver

I like Louis Theroux's programmes myself. He's refreshingly different to any other investigative journalists, and has an uncanny ability to get more out of interviewing someone simply by saying nothing, making expert use of uncomfortable silences which lure people into saying more than they should. His subject matters are often 'easy targets' such as the family of hatred in the States and Michael Jackson's dad but they're always curiously interesting nonetheless.

I think someone brushed upon his bumbling nature, but for me that's all part of the act. To come across as slightly awkward and naive in the presence of some of the people he comes across, he gets the most out of the short time he has with them to get deep down and find out more. I just love how people just explain their violent, odd or even disgusting behaviour all matter-of-factly and a lot of this is due to the way Louis conducts himself with them.

I think the best one I've seen yet is the Max Clifford programme. Ending with Clifford just storming out of Sainsbury's in a bit of a fluster. TV gold.

he is the type of person then on a beach would get sand throwin in his face , but he has done so great programmes ,and their are some real weirdo's in the usa that he has met

Has he not done anything in the Middle East Bob? There must be some crazy characters over there I'd like to see him talking to.

Another thumbs up for Band of Brothers, quality programme although a liberal helping of artistic license went into Ambrose's books which it is based on. I could have sworn that the second world war wasn't just between the you ess of aay and the dirty hun. - Taken as just a retrospective of Easy Company it is fantastic.

Another thumbs up for Band of Brothers, quality programme although a liberal helping of artistic license went into Ambrose's books which it is based on. I could have sworn that the second world war wasn't just between the you ess of aay and the dirty hun. - Taken as just a retrospective of Easy Company it is fantastic.

And me! And a good cast very ably led by a British bloke who even fooled the Yanks with his accent.

For those fans of Band of Brothers (Of which I am too), they've just finished filming a loosely-related 10 part follow up chronicling a regiment on the Pacific front. It's made by HBO and unimaginatively called The Pacific so it should be good. Not sure when it's set to be shown.

And me! And a good cast very ably led by a British bloke who even fooled the Yanks with his accent.

Half the regiment of Easy Company seemed to be British actors slapping on gruff Yank accents. Damien Lewis and Dexter Fletcher being obvious ones, but also included Simon Pegg, Stephen Graham and James McAvoy in more minor roles.

Edit: Rumminiski nipped in first!

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly