Corneys transfer window update

Tough times for the club as well as others

Stockport have to sell

Hughes may go for less than the clause, but hopes he will stay. Thinks he will do alright by the club

Wants Davies to stay and do well, no truth in any offers for CD - up 'til today. WAS interest last season in him

No offers for Eards

Has been enquiries for Taylor, but no-where near our valuation.

If Beattie leaves Sheff Utd they might bbe looking in L1 or L2 (hint???)

Happy with point at Hudds, thought we were taken apart for large parts of the game.

Thinks Leeds and Hudds are a real threat to us.

2008.......Good Year. Look at it in a few ways. Only lost 4 this season, unbeaten in 9, but too many draws, better off losinga couple and winning a couple. Need to get back to winning ways. getting away with it at the moment. Thinks reasonable month coming up.

Doesn't want to sound too negative, reasonable position at the moment but come the summer the belt WILL have to be tightened.

Interesting couple of weeks whether players stay or go.

No one player bigger than the team. Let's see what happens.

Same squad on Feb 2nd, may not be the right move for the club. Right thing may be to take the money and find 1 or two other players. Thinks Hughes may miss a few of the last 22 through Suspension (fair to say). Thinks he is a great player, changes mind daily (SC) but no matter what will do right by the club.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same squad on Feb 2nd, may not be the right move for the club. Right thing may be to take the money and find 1 or two other players. Thinks Hughes may miss a few of the last 22 through Suspension (fair to say). Thinks he is a great player, changes mind daily (SC) but no matter what will do right by the club.

this sounds like corneys trying to say hes going but he want shaft us

probably a bit late cos' it took me ages to type lol

*no specifics about Hughes contract, but says its in lee's hands. he doesn’t think he’ll do the club over (ala porter) and if a club offered lower than the 400k, and lee said he wanted to leave, then they would have to seriously consider it!

*enquires for Taylor at lower amounts than the club see his value, so they were told where to go!

* times are harder than fans believe, many clubs will be forced into cut backs next season (including us)

* no enquires at all for eardley and the figures being talked about are rubbish (sounded like he didn’t think eardley was worth anywhere near a million)

*no offers for Davies yet (there was last season) and he wouldn’t sell to a rival anyway, he wants to see him do well at latics. Stockport wanted to keep him, but have no money!

* Stockport are going to have to sell a couple of players due to finances

* Hughes will miss some games this season (due to bookings) and then could walk for free at end of season, so from the clubs point of view its probably a good idea to sell, but he wants Hughes to stay (hence the contract offer) but at the same time, you have to think of the club.

* he felt we got battered at Huddersfield and it was a good point, and them and Leeds could both take a play off place by the end of the season

Personally don't give a monkeys about Stockport having to sell and no relevance to our club unless we are daft enough to loan them a striker who scored a few last season. We wouldn't be that daft would we?

Shock no foot in mouth scandal from SC. If we do what we should do Leeds and Udders are irrelevant. If we don't do what we have to then Shez is out come May

Stockport is relevant as they are a similar sized town with similar (slightly larger) crowds than Latics and are in the same division.

I would guess their playing budget is less, so if they are struggling financially then there are some likely realities coming to BP sooner of later.

Corney's said nothing really.

No bids = 4 weeks of window left so tells us nothing.

Hughsey's decision = well we knew that anyway.

Taylor bids too low = everybody has his price and we're prepared to sell when it's found.

Hudds were better than us and might make the play-offs = rocket science!

Leeds might too = Corney is a football genius.

I prefer the openess this gives the fans - even if it can never tell us everything.

Me too :grin:

Me three...however, although I haven't seen the interview yet I have a couple of comments on the feedback above.

*no specifics about Hughes contract, but says its in lee's hands. he doesn’t think he’ll do the club over (ala porter) and if a club offered lower than the 400k, and lee said he wanted to leave, then they would have to seriously consider it!

* times are harder than fans believe, many clubs will be forced into cut backs next season (including us)

I'm yet to make my millions, and I love TTA, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't make good business sense to advertise the fact that should Hughesy want to leave we would consider less than the 400k. FFS....

Also, if many clubs are forced to make cut-backs then surely these will eventually be passed onto the players and their contracts.....therefore it shouldn't make the great impact on footballing matters that the the statement first implies. All that will happen is clubs with major bankrollers will be at even more of an advantage.

Edited by Stitch_KTF

I'm yet to make my millions, and I love TTA, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't make good business sense to advertise the fact that should Hughesy want to leave we would consider less than the 400k. FFS....

Hughes' agent is telling prospective buyers that anyway. What SC is doing is letting us know that Hughes can stuff Latics if he wants, but he doesn't think he will, as he's a good lad.

Hughes' agent is telling prospective buyers that anyway. What SC is doing is letting us know that Hughes can stuff Latics if he wants, but he doesn't think he will, as he's a good lad.

All the more reason to suggest we wont sell unless the clause forces our hand, even if it's not true. If we think we know agent tricks you can be sure officials at other clubs do. I reckon Mr Corney is actually preparing us fans for Hughes' cut price sale.

All the more reason to suggest we wont sell unless the clause forces our hand, even if it's not true. If we think we know agent tricks you can be sure officials at other clubs do. I reckon Mr Corney is actually preparing us fans for Hughes' cut price sale.

Why say something which is untrue if his agent knows the truth? If it's a cut-price sale, that's because Hughes wants it that way, not the Club.

Why say something which is untrue if his agent knows the truth? If it's a cut-price sale, that's because Hughes wants it that way, not the Club.

My thoughts are based on the assumption that Hughes' agent doesn't know what TTA would accept, which he shouldn't (unless the club are looking to sell).

The agent acts between the player and club, not between clubs. Agent negotiations with Hughes' possible employers should only ever be based on assuming the clubs can agree a deal. The agent shouldn't know what this would likely take in a scenario where the selling club are supposed to be maximising their efforts to keep the player. In the case of Hughes TTA should have everybody assuming it would take 400k, unless of course they WANTED to sell for less should he not commit to the new deal this January.

The agent acts between the player and club, not between clubs. Agent negotiations with Hughes' possible employers should only ever be based on assuming the clubs can agree a deal. The agent shouldn't know what this would likely take in a scenario where the selling club are supposed to be maximising their efforts to keep the player. In the case of Hughes TTA should have everybody assuming it would take 400k, unless of course they WANTED to sell for less should he not commit to the new deal this January.

I personally think that any agent worth his salt would be doing their utmost to reduce the £400k fee and pile it in to the contract for the player.

Even without Corney's comments, it is clear that there is an opportunity to establish a price below the £400k get out clause, as something now is higher than nothing in May.

I personally think that any agent worth his salt would be doing their utmost to reduce the £400k fee and pile it in to the contract for the player.

Even without Corney's comments, it is clear that there is an opportunity to establish a price below the £400k get out clause, as something now is higher than nothing in May.

And any club chairman worth his salt should be doing their utmost to maximise a fee. The only certainty following these comments is that we will not get 400k. Maybe that was the case anyway, but what advantages do these comments bring to Latics? The only one I can see is to prevent the 400k scaring clubs off, implying Hughes doesn't want to re-sign and we want rid for whatever we can get.

And any club chairman worth his salt should be doing their utmost to maximise a fee. The only certainty following these comments is that we will not get 400k. Maybe that was the case anyway, but what advantages do these comments bring to Latics? The only one I can see is to prevent the 400k scaring clubs off, implying Hughes doesn't want to re-sign and we want rid for whatever we can get.

That is what I have concluded.

I'd guess that whilst Lee is still thinking about the offer, indications are that he is more likely to say no than yes. But Lee is a 'good lad' so would prefer to go now and get the club some cash in (and start his new contract 6 months early).

The £400k figure is well known and I'm sure on an unofficial level TTA will be aware whether anyone is considering an offer at not at that price. I'd also guess, that the interest has been - maybe, but not at THAT price.

So this is a subtle annoucement to other clubs and the fans to say - Lee is willing to move now, and we might be willing to let him go at less that the £400k.

If Lee has expressed a desire to move on - then £200k+ now is still a good result as an alternative to nowt in the summer.

I'd guess that whilst Lee is still thinking about the offer, indications are that he is more likely to say no than yes. But Lee is a 'good lad' so would prefer to go now and get the club some cash in (and start his new contract 6 months early).

The £400k figure is well known and I'm sure on an unofficial level TTA will be aware whether anyone is considering an offer at not at that price. I'd also guess, that the interest has been - maybe, but not at THAT price.

So this is a subtle annoucement to other clubs and the fans to say - Lee is willing to move now, and we might be willing to let him go at less that the £400k.

If Lee has expressed a desire to move on - then £200k+ now is still a good result as an alternative to nowt in the summer.

thats how it looks.

Although it makes sense in a way ill be pretty mad if it happens.

Everyone knew the 400k and that should have been it.

This is our best shot at propmtion since Dowie and there talking about selling our only goal scorer.

If we want to go up we need Hughes so id take the risk and not let him go unless someone offers the 400k.

Right and lose our goal scorer and goal provider whilst we are in the play-offs :angry: . Oh I can just feel the ambition of the club desperate to stay in the play-off positions! FFS we might not get another chance of promotion for another 2 or 3 years so why the hell would we sell :angry: ! It makes my blood boil!

Right and lose our goal scorer and goal provider whilst we are in the play-offs :angry: . Oh I can just feel the ambition of the club desperate to stay in the play-off positions! FFS we might not get another chance of promotion for another 2 or 3 years so why the hell would we sell :angry: ! It makes my blood boil!

the longer he doesnt sign the more likely hes gone...

maybe fa cup weekend has had an effect also...we know he isnt cuptied,but maybe a club was waiting to get through this round before making an offer....possible.

last week we had shez saying he was hoping to bring in 2 or 3 players....this week we have sc saying were not going to bring anyone in,we cant afford it.

last season we had the cup run and sold trottman.....that offset some debt...this season nothing,so by my reckoning were looking at getting in around 800k to offset losses,but that wouldnt leave us any money for signings...so shez only hopes of bringing in the cover he is after is either loans...or selling the familys crown jewels...

which if im honest is pretty poor considering were in with a shout of promotion....

the longer the cycle of selling our better players and replacing them with second best carrys on,the more people will believe the rumours that tta's dont want us to go up as it would bankrupt them and cost them everything....for once i would like to see a small gamnble...keep our best players and get promoted...the offers will still come in the summer but be better due to players being championship players...

this sounds like corneys trying to say hes going but he want shaft us

If Hughes wants to do right by the club he should sign the contract offered, and leave for a bigger fee in the summer, if we don't go up.

Perhaps the TTA have ambition for the club and are desperate.....

....to keep the club in a financial position that means that if we don't go up this year, we can still have a fighting chance the following year or the one after that.

All or nothing on Lee Hughes shooting us to promotion is a big gamble and if the stakes are the clubs financial stability - don't bet.

It might be different if with Hughes were were top 2 and looking very strong, but we are not. With Hughes we are currently in with a shout of being in the lottery of the play-offs.

I think Simon Corney is either trying to be very clever and doing the yank way or extremely niaive with some of his comments.

I think it is the latter because like his comments re the Killen situation you don't hear other club chairman spouting off like that even if they are miffed about events.

Latics whole handling of contract negotiations and transfer also leaves me to think that we are extremely niaive and in this football world we will always get stung.

Bid for Kaka has been refused.

No bids for Eardley or Davies.

Bids so far for Taylor less than we would expect.

Whether Hughesy stays or not is down to him, but we'd like him to stay.

We don't need any new players (which is good because we will not be bringing anyone in).

Santa was good to Simon, but he didn't get enough cash for Christmas.

Latics fans were really loud at Huddersfield - louder than their fans - and we held on for 84 minutes.

Sock mix up was down to Chaddy The Owl and Shez out.

Oldham, not Citeh...!