Gregan denies drink driving

Soccer star denies drink driving

26/ 1/2009

OLDHAM Athletic's captain Sean Gregan appeared before magistrates today (Monday) accused of drink driving on a motorway.

Mr Gregan, captain of the League One side, pleaded not guilty at Rochdale to a single charge of driving with excess alcohol.

The case was adjourned to March 27, two days before his 35th birthday.

Mr Gregan, 34, of Hereford Road, Harrogate, spoke only to confirm his name, address and enter his plea during the brief hearing.

It was alleged he was driving a Volkswagon Golf on the M62, near Rochdale, on October 3. A pre-trial hearing was listed for March and Mr Gregan was excused attendance. He was released on unconditional bail.

Mr Gregan, a midfielder and defender, has made more than 600 career appearances in English football leagues, scoring 21 goals.

He signed for Oldham Athletic on a two-and-a-half year contract in January 2007. He began his career at Darlington, followed by spells at Preston North End, West Bromwich Albion and Leeds United.

MEN Story

Isn't that a criminal offence in its own right ?

Surely you would only refuse if you had something to hide....

It is a right not to give a sample - As far as Im aware it is the "recommended" thing to do if you know you are over the limit... I think the bans can be less - as for the something to hide you're probably right but if it is a loophole you're not going to plead guilty after refusal - I suspect a bans inevitable.

It is a right not to give a sample - As far as Im aware it is the "recommended" thing to do if you know you are over the limit... I think the bans can be less - as for the something to hide you're probably right but if it is a loophole you're not going to plead guilty after refusal - I suspect a bans inevitable.

It's still an offence to refuse roadside breath test and you can be arrested, but it doesn't lead to automatic disqualification (DR70, fine and 4 points). But refusing further test at the police station is an offence (DR30), with the same penalty as someone giving a positive result, i.e. mandatory 12 months minimum disqualification and a fine (up to level 5 or £5k) or imprisonment up to 6 months (DR10), but often the court can impose even harsher penalty like 18 months to 2 years ban, because drivers who refuse a test may be hiding a very high level of alcohol.

Edited by Fyldelatic

It's still an offence to refuse roadside breath test and you can be arrested, but it doesn't lead to automatic disqualification (DR70, fine and 4 points). But refusing further test at the police station is an offence (DR30), with the same penalty as someone giving a positive result, i.e. mandatory 12 months minimum disqualification and a fine (up to level 5 or £5k) or imprisonment up to 6 months (DR10), but often the court can impose even harsher penalty like 18 months to 2 years ban, because drivers who refuse a test may be hiding a very high level of alcohol.

So for the police to have taken him to court there will be a breath test on record taken at the nick which proves he was over the limit....

or

He refused the breath test and he is in the :censored: regardless....

Just confused how the hell he is going to get away with pleading not guilty... Unless of course he didn't give a sample and is hoping to take the 12 months, 5k fine etc...

As far as I am concerned if he did drink and drive hope he gets ten years.... I have little tolerance on the subject...

As far as I am concerned if he did drink and drive hope he gets ten years.... I have little tolerance on the subject...

If I was ever caught drink driving my defence would be that I was drunk and I would never do such a thing sober. :unsure: On the few occasions long ago that I commited the offence that has been the reason. Whilst I too hate drink driving I recognise the irony in allowing, encouraging even, people to drink before persecuting them for their drunken decisions.

The fundamental problem lies with the lax laws on one of the most dangerous and harmful drugs in society.

In the mean time those who wish to sit at home and smoke a spliff, maybe enjoy a takeaway, are now to be persecuted even further than before as cannabis is reclassified as Class B, and so a huge percentage of the population is further criminalised in the process.

Ranking of Drugs by Danger

Surprised?

The problem is that the attitude of embracing alchohol and prohibiting other drugs is so accepted and ingrained that few realise just how bizzare the scenario is. I wonder how much money the NHS would save if the populations usage of numbers 5 and 18 were reversed? I wonder how much police time would be saved, tax revenue generated and crime cut if 11 was legalised?

I think absolutely everything on that list ought to be legal. The lot. If an individual wants to take something who is the government to stop them? How can smoking weed be a crime? How can there be a crime when there is no victim, your honour?

Drugs is one of the very biggest industries in the world, I'd bet only behind food and oil - I mean an ounce of cocaine is worth more than an ounce of gold. If this vast revenue isn't tapped into by the powers that be, and I don't mean by the puppets that are Brown and Obama, then I'm a :censored: Dutchman (I wish).

:rant.sml:

So for the police to have taken him to court there will be a breath test on record taken at the nick which proves he was over the limit....

or

He refused the breath test and he is in the :censored: regardless....

Just confused how the hell he is going to get away with pleading not guilty... Unless of course he didn't give a sample and is hoping to take the 12 months, 5k fine etc...

Does that include a glass of wine taken with a meal?