Raining on the parade

I want to bring everyone back down to earth a little after reading what I have read.

No doubt when circumstances are considered it was a very well earnt point, but it could and should have been a whole lot better.

We had several really good chances which should have been buried tonight, and were the better team for long periods of the game against a very ordinary looking side and apparently that is what they are - they just have that 90 minute plus attitude that gets them out of jail and a consistency to grind out 3 rather than one point.

Doubtlessly we didn't get the rub of the green, but the three points were there for the taking, Hughes had several opportunities, Lewis had a golden one if he had not choked completely. Seeing the game live I thought that our penalty shout was 50-50 at best, Taylor made a meal of a fairly innocuous tackle, if he was caught or not it was difficult to tell from the stands.

Applying a reasonable rationale it is a great point away from home at the league leaders, but other than the last quarter of the first half I thought we were the more inventive and creative team and with a little more 'cool' about our play we could and should have come away with three points.

MoM?? I thought half our team were unexeptional today whilst the other half covered themselves in glory due to the fact that we had to work 1/11ths harder per man to get what we got. This doesn't take into account a shocking collective from the officials. At times we were playing 13 and 14.

Smalley, Hughes, Greegs, Allot and Hazell stand up and take a bow chaps, sterling work from you all.

The rest, well just ordinary but good enough to match a very ordinary opposition.

Derek.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to bring everyone back down to earth a little after reading what I have read.

No doubt when circumstances are considered it was a very well earnt point, but it could and should have been a whole lot better.

We had several really good chances which should have been buried tonight, and were the better team for long periods of the game against a very ordinary looking side and apparently that is what they are - they just have that 90 minute plus attitude that gets them out of jail and a consistency to grind out 3 rather than one point.

Doubtlessly we didn't get the rub of the green, but the three points were there for the taking, Hughes had several opportunities, Lewis had a golden one if he had not choked completely. Seeing the game live I thought that our penalty shout was 50-50 at best, Taylor made a meal of a fairly innocuous tackle, if he was caught or not it was difficult to tell from the stands.

Applying a reasonable rationale it is a great point away from home at the league leaders, but other than the last quarter of the first half I thought we were the more inventive and creative team and with a little more 'cool' about our play we could and should have come away with three points.

MoM?? I thought half our team were unexeptional today whilst the other half covered themselves in glory due to the fact that we had to work 1/11ths harder per man to get what we got. This doesn't take into account a shocking collective from the officials. At times we were playing 13 and 14.

Smalley, Hughes, Greegs, Allot and Hazell stand up and take a bow chaps, sterling work from you all.

The rest, well just ordinary but good enough to match a very ordinary opposition.

Derek.

it was a stonewall penalty....even the sky commentastors and after in the studio said it should have been a pen and the ref got it wrong...

thats the trouble with latics..there is always someone ready to piss on the parade isnt there.

I think Derek makes some valid points.

im not saying he hasnt made some valid points,however to only pick out 4 or 5 for praise is shocking,without goldbournes challenge off the line we would be a goal down at arf time.

tonight they stood up and got counted,and i dont think you can justify only picking out the players he did for praise...they all deserve it after that game.

im not saying he hasnt made some valid points,however to only pick out 4 or 5 for praise is shocking,without goldbournes challenge off the line we would be a goal down at arf time.

tonight they stood up and got counted,and i dont think you can justify only picking out the players he did for praise...they all deserve it after that game.

Sorry Ed, my reply wasn't aimed at you. I should have quoted Senor.

About the only part of Dereks post I don't agree with is labelling some of the performances ordinary (the other thing being I thought Taylor deserved the pen). I thought everybody (bar Windass first half) played well, which is why I agree with his view that a point isn't as good as many are making out as we could/should have won the game.

If you count Leeds games in hand as wins we are out of the top 6. Even if you don't they are breathing down our necks.....the game at BP will be massive.

I'm sure T.V. gives you a better perspective than seeing it live at the ground. The ariel view allows you to see more movement off the ball and the benefit of the replay as well. I think it was deffo a penalty, the Leicester player clipped his foot. And I think the earlier shout where Taylor swan dived from just outside the penalty area had a bearing on it.

What about Eardley, I thought he linked up well and made some good overlaps. Golbourne had the intelligence to keep up with play and made that spectacular clearance.

It's all about opinions and we all see things different.

I'm sure T.V. gives you a better perspective than seeing it live at the ground. The ariel view allows you to see more movement off the ball and the benefit of the replay as well. I think it was deffo a penalty, the Leicester player clipped his foot. And I think the earlier shout where Taylor swan dived from just outside the penalty area had a bearing on it.

What about Eardley, I thought he linked up well and made some good overlaps. Golbourne had the intelligence to keep up with play and made that spectacular clearance.

It's all about opinions and we all see things different.

yes it is true we do all see games differently....just think its out of order saying only 4 or 5 performed....they all did.

its no secret deggsy doesnt rate taylor,but you can hardly say he was ordinary....

at one point the commentators were creaming themself over a leicster midfielder saying how great he was and had chipped in with a massive 5 goals....they then realised taylor had scored 9!! and changed the subject again.

windass first half still managed to hold the ball up and make some decent layoffs...yes he did make 4 or 5 half hearted or underhit passes,but he was hardly shyte,same as maher....one silly mistake with a flipflop of a backpass,but the rest was solid from him.

you cant really critiscise any of them..but i bet you some will.

There is nothing there that is critical. It is just a balancing post.

From some of the things that I have read on here it is the greatest point earnt since the almighty invented football. It's Leicester at the top of division 3. It's no great shakes in the grand scheme of things because they were less good than us on the day. We could and should have won without being at our best.

We afforded ourselves the luxury of Fleming having nothing to do other than getting sent off by our own self destructive undoing.

Gouldbourne - great clearance off the line but absolutely cock all else to do because Deane Smalley worked his socks off in front of him. He did basics well but that doesn't mean he had an exceptional game.

Eardley - defensively he still looks to me that he is running through treacle, and looked like he was out of position a lot. Going forward, I was glad to see that Haining had gotten his boots back.

Maher - tidy doing regulation stuff, but does that deserve individual praise? I think not.

Taylor - I can't believe how much his game has taken a turn for the worse. He's diving all over the place again, as soft as a bag of flour. My bile is rising against the lad again and I am beginning to think the start of the season was a blip as opposed to the rest of his last 18 months of very frustrating prima donna :censored: .

Windass, great stint in the sticks will make his blog look fab, but upfront, he is either too clever or too cocky for the rest of our team to read. I don't know which. He is too bloody slow though.

God give us back a Davies figure, :censored: all up top but the pace of a gazelle. He would have ripped that number 25 of theirs a new arsehole tonight.

Derek.

Taylor swan dived

Swan dive or not. That was a clear foul when u saw the replay too. If your not the best at it u should leave the theatrical diving to Ricky Holden! That said, he was fouled, he fell, they should have been free kicks/pens. Just hope he can get the yellow card overturned.

There is nothing there that is critical. It is just a balancing post.

From some of the things that I have read on here it is the greatest point earnt since the almighty invented football. It's Leicester at the top of division 3. It's no great shakes in the grand scheme of things because they were less good than us on the day. We could and should have won without being at our best.

We afforded ourselves the luxury of Fleming having nothing to do other than getting sent off by our own self destructive undoing.

Gouldbourne - great clearance off the line but absolutely cock all else to do because Deane Smalley worked his socks off in front of him. He did basics well but that doesn't mean he had an exceptional game.

Eardley - defensively he still looks to me that he is running through treacle, and looked like he was out of position a lot. Going forward, I was glad to see that Haining had gotten his boots back.

Maher - tidy doing regulation stuff, but does that deserve individual praise? I think not.

Taylor - I can't believe how much his game has taken a turn for the worse. He's diving all over the place again, as soft as a bag of flour. My bile is rising against the lad again and I am beginning to think the start of the season was a blip as opposed to the rest of his last 18 months of very frustrating prima donna :censored: .

Windass, great stint in the sticks will make his blog look fab, but upfront, he is either too clever or too cocky for the rest of our team to read. I don't know which. He is too bloody slow though.

God give us back a Davies figure, :censored: all up top but the pace of a gazelle. He would have ripped that number 25 of theirs a new arsehole tonight.

Derek.

I don't think you know what you are talking about Derek - total rubbish imho - 'shakes head and walks away' :disappointed:

:unsure:

You named 4 out of 5 players who have been in the game a long time. Just what didn't impress you about the way Eardley and Golbourne had to deal with 2 players each all game? Their constant tackles and their forcing of the opposition into tight wide areas against some very pacey wingers. Their constant running up and down the flanks to support Taylor and Smalley.

By the way, all those blocks in the penalty area weren't just by our two centre-backs. And whilst we're on it, why does a block in the box consitute to "sterling work" when Scott's goal-line clearance doesn't?

I totally agree we deserved the win, but the way every player used the ball and kept their shape so brilliantly, well that to me is sterling work from every man out there today.

Derek.

You never cease to amaze me with your posts, I bet you are loads of fun at christmas with the glass always being nearly empty and everything. You could piss on anyones chips................. I bet you are loads of fun at parties. Tosser.

, but the three points were there for the taking

Even by the bollocks you normally spout Derek, that takes some beating. How the hell,when you're up against a team that are absolutely pissing the league,down to ten men with a centre forward in goal ,can three points be there for the taking.

We're not that good,but the expectations that some fans(?) have is ridiculous. It's a great point,but bollocks to that,lets do what we do best eh, moan,moan, moan

Edited by Steve_R

Derek.

ha ha ha ha ha ..derek i admire you for your forthright and honest opinions,

but at times i wonder i really do..lurve you as a person .

You know what, I don't see much moaning there, just a fair assumption of the game from stuck up in the corner.

Some people need to take off the happy clappys and see it for what it was - very winnable even with ten men. It wasn't like we lacked chances on the night.

Derek.

You know what, I don't see much moaning there, just a fair assumption of the game from stuck up in the corner.

Some people need to take off the happy clappys and see it for what it was - very winnable even with ten men. It wasn't like we lacked chances on the night.

Derek.

Whatever....yawn....

Attention seeking by any chance? Sad get.

Whatever....yawn....

Attention seeking by any chance? Sad get.

Don't like it, don't read it.

Attention seeking - not on your nelly, just sick of all the fawning praise heaped upon half arsed and half hearted players.

I'm going to love the death of football, one day it will jump up its own self super inflated arse and take every happy clappy clown with it.

The pragmatists such as myself will shrug our shoulders and go and support some no marks in the Tandle Hills Lovely Sunday 11 League.

Sheridans blue and white army clap clap clap, Lee Hughes is the best thing since sliced Hovis clap clap clap. It's all a bunch of bollocks.

Derek.

Attention seeking - not on your nelly, just sick of all the fawning praise heaped upon half arsed and half hearted players.

If you're talking in the context of the Premier League, I buy it. If you're talking in the context of Latics 2009 then they deserve all the credit they get from Saturday's efforts, and all the stick they got for failures against teams like Swindon.

I'm going to love the death of football, one day it will jump up its own self super inflated arse and take every happy clappy clown with it.

The PL already has. Latics haven't and despite not winning every game going to Boundary Park is probably a better experience for it.

The pragmatists such as myself will shrug our shoulders and go and support some no marks in the Tandle Hills Lovely Sunday 11 League.

Sounds like your heart isn't in it anymore Derek.

Sheridans blue and white army clap clap clap, Lee Hughes is the best thing since sliced Hovis clap clap clap. It's all a bunch of bollocks.

While I really don't want to reduce home attendances (and the income flows needed for the club to survive any further), are you really sure you should still be following Oldham Athletic if you cannot enjoy it?

As for your original post here, I think we should have won it. But we could easily have lost it. Draw is a good result in the circumstances but it could have been better.

For the first time since October (Scunthorpe) all 11 players on the pitch did a great job. Some where superb, some did what they were paid to do, none were below par. That is something to enjoy and it is a spirit that, if repeated, will take Latics up a league.

Don't like it, don't read it.

Derek.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Those happy clappers scum of the earth they are!

Yep, my rubbish, my opinion. I was there and am stating what I saw in opposition to the Muroch-a- :censored: TV viewers.

"Don't argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you on experience"

Derek.

I think your signature sums it up - so I won't argue with you as you'll only beat me on experience :grin:

Edited by TheBigDog