anthem poll

c.hill12

anthem song  

73 members have voted

1. 1. what song would be best suited to being latics anthem? A song easy to sing and uplifting.

• bon jovi - keep the faith
    • bon jovi - living on a prayer
    • aswad - shine
    • the liquidator
    • mouldy old dough
    • elvis - wonder of you
    • can't help falling in love with you
    • guns of naverone
    • the tinkers - john willies horse
    • elbow - 1 day like this
    • killers - exitlude
    • bennywise - stand by me
    • ben e king - stand by me

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plus, he's clearly missed 'Charlotte' by the Macc Lads.

I would like to second the Macc Lads as our official anthem makers. I reckon they'd do a song especially for us, if Alan Hardy slips Muttley McLad a tenner.

Edit - having looked a the chosen songs, I'd like to add that they are all gargage (not the band).

Edited by slurms mckenzie

if looking for a good sing a long then something like the fields of athenrhy(cant spell) or abide with me or something,those kind of songs the majority of folk know or have heard of and are more likely to get sung.

If its an anthem then we can't go copying other clubs.

Anyway. Everyone knows for as long as Franny's around, that our anthem will and forever be "The Bongo Song"

I think you've got the wrong idea of an anthem it's nothing to do with what's played by Franny.

I agree 100% It has to be Mouldy Olde Dough! Not because it is a great song,, because it isn't, but it has a strong connection to the club andmost fans relate to it....I think! Let's go with tradition.

I don't think its going to catch on as an anthem, if it hasn't by now it's never going to, its just a club tune, like Everton's Z Cars theme. An anthem should be something sung to inspire the players.

There was no vote for an anthem though. these are running out and goal tunes.

I agree an anthem is not something you can impose on supporters though. I suppose it starts when a few fans start singing something and others think hmmm that sounds good and join in. Probably that's how Stoke fans started Delilah.

I agree an anthem is not something you can impose on supporters though. I suppose it starts when a few fans start singing something and others think hmmm that sounds good and join in. Probably that's how Stoke fans started Delilah.

Yeah a poll is not going to get it going, what you do is get a group of your mates during a match when it all goes quiet to start singing something, if people like it they'll join in, if they don't they'll turn round and start laughing.

Besides I'd rather we did the "Earthquake" than have an anthem, it's more modern

all we need is a tune to do one to

Due to the original thread being quite popular and contraverial, here's a poll to see what the majority of fans would like. any songs you are unsure of or don't know, search them on youtube.com and you'll find them on there.

I will submit these answers to the club and see if we can sort somthing official out.

:dedhrse::dedhrse:

Not only do you continue with this ridiculous crusade, but you manage to forget the only respectable suggestion, and one which was actually sang by Latics fans last week, Hey Jude.

In that case, I'd like to suggest 5,6,7,8 by Steps. Just because I'm a Latics fan doesn't mean it's not just been plucked from thin air...

:laught16::laught16::laught16:

Less than one vote for every ten views suggests to me that if there was an option of "I would rather nobody attempts to manufacture a Latics 'anthem' on a whim, as I like to think my club has some class", it would be winning.

Edited by Stitch_KTF

Anthems are steeped in tradition and Mouldy Old Dough, like it, or not, is part of the Latics tradition. Bit like West Ham's 'Forever Blowing Bubbles'. It wouldn't do to play 'Mouldy..' when the players come out, I don't think there's anything wrong with playing the Bongo Song. It's upbeat, loud and has a anthem(ish) drum sound.

'Can't Take My Eyes Off You' was obviously picked because of the chorus "dah-da" bit which can be sung as a chant on its own and it's obvious that it's our fans that are singing it.

You will never please everybody, so why not just let it be? :)

All this talk of an anthem is getting a little long in the tooth.

The closest thing we have is MOD. We can sing it on match days if people want to. As it has no words, people cant even use the "not everyone knows the words" line!!

Maybe at Millwall....

wheres 'were the boys in blue'?

Like MOD, Boys in Blue has had its chance, it's has been played every match day for yonks and has never been taken up to any extent by the crowd.

Not saying they shouldn't be played I enjoy listening to them and BP wouldn't be the same without them, but they will never be taken up as an anthem.

Mouldy Old Dough, like the smell of linament, Bovril and pipe tobacco on a cold Tuesday night, is Latics through and through. The only thing to better it would be a return to Fanfare for the Common Man (Emerson, Lake and Palmer), which still sends a shiver down my spine as I remember the 'Pinch Me' season. Alternatively, has anyone suggested 'This is How it Feels' by the Inspiral Carpets or 'Jerusalem' (the only hymn at school that everyone used to belt out with gusto)?